• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I buy the golden shower blackmail thing. If there's one area where Trump seems genuine it's his massive boner for Putin. Seems much more likely that he's buddying up to Russia for personal gain than that he's being forced to do anything against his will.

Honestly?

I can see the urine thing being real.

The man still sends photos to a writer after twenty years proving how not small his hands are. He's into degradation, public and private according to very public displays, and private accounts. Having prostitutes urinate on the bed that the black guy who publicly mocked him to raucous applause in front of the Correspondents Association slept on seems right up his alley.

Hari Seldon

im still trying to wrap my head around intelligence agencies believing the president elect is colluding w a foreign country and then presenting that treasonous evidence to the president elect himself. then leaking it? wtf? why? none of this makes sense.

I believe the brief the intelligence agencies were giving was not that this info was true, it was that the media had this info.

RDreamer

Talking about witch hunts, if any of this report is true, I cannot even begin to imagine the lengths Putin must be taking to hunt down the sources.

Depends. Putin is in a pretty big win/win situation now. If Trump continues he has a pro Russian pawn. If Trump goes down it destabilizes the entire American system for years and shows just how powerful Russia was.

Imagine if Buzzfeed are the ones who bring down this administration.

Buzzfeed.

Never again will I belittle click bait sites.

Clickbait site had more balls than 95-99% of our biggest media empires

Only good thing about this giant political farce that's over a full year old and counting is it's exposed a lot of people

How much popular support do Anti Trump right wing conservatives have anyway? Wondering if the schism in the right wing would reach the popular level.

The majority of the congress, senate, governors, deep state establishment, state-level congressional majorities, and corporate boards are run by anti-trump right-wing conservatives. That's far more scary than Trump imo.

Henkka

Banned
Cenk making some good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV0SJo8Z0Cw

Sure, there's no proof like video, but I'm fairly certain Trump is in bed with the Russians. The appointment of Tillerson, his behaviour toward Putin, saying he disagrees with Pence on Syria during the debate, and now this... Guess I'm now officially a conspiracy theorist, but it makes more sense to me than that all this is coincidence or whatever.

Zereta

None of this would be happening if buzzfeed didn't leak the document. Journalists have been sitting on this dossier for months. CNN and buzzfeed finally stepped up.

I guess they felt they could actually release this info because of trump Obama meeting with the IC? I dunno why they held on to it for so long but if they continued to hold on to it we would not be having this conversation.

CNN pulling the trigger and mentioning the dossier as part of their larger report definitely got Buzzfeed to move on this.

Surely, if the IC begins presenting the President and President-Elect about it, there must be enough information to make such a massive move.

And.... largely it backfired on Buzzfeed. Other press sites are going after them, even as they follow in Buzzfeed's shadow and publish their own stories.

Here's why this is scary: Buzzfeed basically has a bomb in their hands right now.

1) If proven true, mainstream media + IC win! Fake News and Trump, his team, Putin and everyone involved gets slammed.

2) If it goes unverified and story dies eventually, Buzzfeed's credibility as a political news outlet (and it's been doing amazing work, so amazing that CNN even poached some of their most recognizable names) dies out. Mainstream media put the blame squarely on Buzzfeed but things remain relatively unchanged for MSM. IC continues to investigate maybe? But at that point, there might be no use/too late.

3) If proved false, Trump and his base have massive ox testicle sized ammunition that they need to make the claim against MSM and IC, possibly limiting free press access and potential reprecussions for "Nazi" (still can't believe he said that) IC.

Scenario 2 is unlikely to happen too soon I think. Story has enough traction, seems like IC is continuing to investigate and journalists are definitely out there trying their best. BBC also has been pushing this hard and going for it, probably because an ex-MI6 member was involved and they seem to have some scoops as well.

So this will either be proven fake or true, and if this happens in the near future, Journalism, American politics and our relations with Russia will change forever.

faisal233

C16RYBxXAAQwAtL.jpg

Is Fox News talking about this at all

Why is the FBI investigating these baseless rumors started by a fringe group of people on the internet and exacerbated by the media when they should be investigating Hillary over her emails and the Clinton Foundation?

Bah, that's too long of a by-line. I am sure they will figure it out AND still lack the self awareness. Like Mitch McConnel discussing the democrats and impeding Trump picks for Cabinet or SC.

How much popular support do Anti Trump right wing conservatives have anyway? Wondering if the schism in the right wing would reach the popular level.

A good majority of them are terrified about the reaction from their base excluding people like McCain who is likely going to retire at the end of his term. I'm sure there are a decent number of them (probably pre-tea party people) who despise Trump and think this is horrible but will hesitate to act because of the delusions of his voters.

I have to imagine the hearings and any potential actions will be incredibly messy.

iavi

The thing that makes my previous post kinda interesting is I believe the GOP run that committee. So kinda interesting they want the whole HOUSE to get that brief.

I made a bet with my Fiancé a couple weeks back: the GOP want a classic ol agreeable conservative in the white-house that'll push through their legislation with no kickback, they also highly dislike the kickback they've already been receiving Trump on the stuff they've tried just since the election--ethics panel, ACA repeal delay etc...nor do they like the division he caused during the GE.

He's uncontrollable and they're enjoying control of everything. They're going to impeach him, and do it almost as quickly as he's sworn in as to not mess with 2018 voting, as the collective political memory of the electorate lasts about a week, proven that he's not replaced by a black American or white woman

It's no surprise to me to hear that the actual push for this investigation is coming from GOP ranks

beril

Honestly?

I can see the urine thing being real.

The man still sends photos to a writer after twenty years proving how not small his hands are. He's into degradation, public and private according to very public displays, and private accounts. Having prostitutes urinate on the bed that the black guy who publicly mocked him to raucous applause in front of the Correspondents Association slept on seems right up his alley.

I have no problem believing that he'd be into golden showers with prostitutes and pissing on Obamas bed; I just think he'd seem slightly less enthusiastic when praising Putin if he was being blackmailed.

The intelligence agencies didn't leak it. This exact report has been circling around the media and intel committees in congress since at least October.

if the intel agencies didn't leak it, how did the media get it? assuming it was generated by intel agencies, it logically seems like the leak would have to come from there.

faisal233

I have no problem believing that he'd be into golden showers with prostitutes and pissing on Obamas bed; I just think he'd seem slightly less enthusiastic when praising Putin if he was being blackmailed.
Only reason I even care about his stupid kink is that sex sells better than treason.

avaya

He's had at least 8 years of practice.

Ac30

The briefing was oral. Trump and his team never got any documents from the intelligence briefing.

The documents was given to the senior officials who did the briefing as an annex.

It's not mentioned in the CNN tweet but are House members going to see the 2 page summary dealing with Trump's Russia connection as well as the Russia email hacking report?

RDreamer

if the intel agencies didn't leak it, how did the media get it? assuming it was generated by intel agencies, it logically seems like the leak would have to come from there.

It wasn't generated by government intel agencies. It was generated by an intelligence firm hired to do opposition research by Republican backed sponsors and then by an anonymous democrat sponsor. I'm not sure anyone knows where it leaked, but it leaked a while ago. Probably the democrat sponsor.

Auctopus

Watched highlights of his speech. I still can't believe this dude's rhetoric. I can't believe he talks in such a shitty, childish (yet somehow boring) way.

That "you're fake news" thing was some of the most childish shit I've seen in politics in years.

Mully

The true judge of this third party intelligence report will be when the information can be compared to the IC and Senate Russian hacking report. If the details match Trump is in hot water.

Maybe he was dick-riding for real and this whole blackmail thing just feels like a stark betrayal to him. "Papa Pooty did what? But that weekend in Moscow was supposed to be between just the two of us...!"

The Buzzfeed briefing DID NOT come from the intel agencies. It's a document that was privately funded opposition research that has circulated since before the election. It has since come into possession of the US government bud did not originate there. Various members of the media have had copies of it for months.

The actual intelligence product delivered last week is a separate brief that has not leaked. CNN"s report yesterday highlighted that in addition to a lot of other intel reporting from the IC, the intel brief contained a 2 page summary of the product that Buzzfeed posted.

Mawnster

Here's basically what went down:

CNN: Wow, this pool's pretty deep! Let me just dip a toe in. Maybe sit at the edge with my feet i-

Buzzfeed: LEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEEEEENKIIIIIIINS *cannonball*

I read it with the exact voice, tone and length of the actual meme in my head.
Leroy Jenkins, 2005. Never forget.

The report was made for Trump's Republican enemies and later Democrats. The thing was not made by the intelligence agencies themselves or someone they asked.

True Fire

My random thoughts:

I think it's a bit of an open secret in the media that this is probably untrue, but there's nothing wrong with reporting its existence or the fact that Buzzfeed published it. Trump really fell into a trap when he reacted, confirmed that he was briefed on it, and mentioned the intelligence agencies.

He should have called it fake and moved on. The story would've been overshadowed by the million other things happening today.

This story is going to have staying power, unless the alleged "4chan sockpuppet troll" comes forward -- which would put his life in jeopardy now that Putin's integrity is involved. I bet he regrets alt-right trolling now.

Buzzfeed pulled a really risky gambit, but I think it paid off. They successfully baited Trump and deflected a lot of the blame from themselves by getting CNN roped into it. If it was just them on the battlefield they would've been Gawker'd.

I find it amusing to see the alt-right and 4chan desperately trying to prove this is false. People are conditioned to ignore them on social media, and the 4chan screenshots of people gloating about trolling aren't helping their case. It's really a boy who cried wolf situation.

And finally, although I believe fake news is a both a right wing and left wing problem, it's no secret that the right wing has been particularly receptive towards it. I think they really took the left wing's integrity for granted. Today they learned what would happen if the left wing decided to stoop to their level. (not saying that it happened with pissgate, but the message is clear)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom