• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zereta

Something that's probably happening right now: Republican and Democratic officials desperately asking around the so-called sponsors of this investigation and friends in IC about this.

We know enough about Washington to know that people are talking. That's gonna be an in for journalists. And more people might be willing to leak.

pompidu

My random thoughts:

I think it's a bit of an open secret in the media that this is fake, but there's nothing wrong with reporting its existence or the fact that Buzzfeed published it. Trump really fell into a trap when he reacted, confirmed that he was briefed on it, and mentioned the intelligence agencies.

He should have called it fake and moved on. The story would've been overshadowed by the million other things happening today.

This story is going to have staying power, unless the "4chan sockpuppet troll" comes forward -- which would put his life in jeopardy now that Putin's integrity is involved. I bet he regrets alt-right trolling now.

Buzzfeed pulled a really risky gambit, but I think it paid off. They successfully baited Trump and deflected a lot of the blame from themselves by getting CNN roped into it. If it was just them on the battlefield they would've been Gawker'd.

I find it amusing to see the alt-right and 4chan desperately trying to prove this is false. People are conditioned to ignore them on social media, and the 4chan screenshots of people gloating about trolling aren't helping their case. It's really a boy who cried wolf situation.

And finally, although I believe fake news is a both a right wing and left wing problem, it's no secret that the right wing has been particularly receptive towards it. I think they really took the left wing's integrity for granted. Today they learned what would happen if the left wing decided to stoop to their level. (not saying that it happened with pissgate, but the message is clear)

This guy is the source of the dossier, believe this guy when he says it's fake.

avaya

My random thoughts:

I think it's a bit of an open secret in the media that this is fake, but there's nothing wrong with reporting its existence or the fact that Buzzfeed published it. Trump really fell into a trap when he reacted, confirmed that he was briefed on it, and mentioned the intelligence agencies.

He should have called it fake and moved on. The story would've been overshadowed by the million other things happening today.

This story is going to have staying power, unless the "4chan sockpuppet troll" comes forward -- which would put his life in jeopardy now that Putin's integrity is involved. I bet he regrets alt-right trolling now.

Buzzfeed pulled a really risky gambit, but I think it paid off. They successfully baited Trump and deflected a lot of the blame from themselves by getting CNN roped into it. If it was just them on the battlefield they would've been Gawker'd.

I find it amusing to see the alt-right and 4chan desperately trying to prove this is false. People are conditioned to ignore them on social media, and the 4chan screenshots of people gloating about trolling aren't helping their case. It's really a boy who cried wolf situation.

And finally, although I believe fake news is a both a right wing and left wing problem, it's no secret that the right wing has been particularly receptive towards it. I think they really took the left wing's integrity for granted. Today they learned what would happen if the left wing decided to stoop to their level. (not saying that it happened with pissgate, but the message is clear)

Yes 4chan trolled the CIA. That is a thing that happened.

Zereta

Buzzfeed posted it. Media followed up by reporting on the fact that Buzzfeed reported on it. Add a lot of "unsubstantiated" garnishing and you have this mess.

Yes.

But what you're saying does not equate to fake.

Unverified yes. But we knew this already, yes?

TS-08

Buzzfeed posted it. Media followed up by reporting on the fact that Buzzfeed reported on it. Add a lot of "unsubstantiated" garnishing and you have this mess.

CNN reported first. The report is in the OP. Then Buzzfeed followed by publishing the alleged memos the summary brought to the intelligence briefing was based on.

My random thoughts:

I think it's a bit of an open secret in the media that this is probably untrue, but there's nothing wrong with reporting its existence or the fact that Buzzfeed published it. Trump really fell into a trap when he reacted, confirmed that he was briefed on it, and mentioned the intelligence agencies.

The report that both Republicans and Democrats paid for during the election and is now being investigated by multiple agencies is from a "4chan sockpuppet troll"? Did I read that right?

Buzzfeed posted it. Media followed up by reporting on the fact that Buzzfeed reported on it. Add a lot of "unsubstantiated" garnishing and you have a national scandal.

I'm not taking issue with the idea that it's fake, I'm taking extreme issue with the idea that allegedly reputable news outlets are totally fine reporting fake information.

Buzzfeed posted it. Media followed up by reporting on the fact that Buzzfeed reported on it. Add a lot of "unsubstantiated" garnishing and you have a national scandal.

CNN posted it, then Buzzfeed posted what they claimed to be the document referenced by the CNN report.

Nafai1123

Banned

Buzzfeed were not the only ones sitting on this dossier. They were just the only ones who decided to say "fuck it" as soon as they heard CNN reporting that Obama and Trump were briefed on it.

My random thoughts:

I don't think it's as prolific or as mainstream as the right (fake news).

The reason fake news exists for Republicans is the same reason why lots of them believe climate change doesn't exist.

It's escapism from reality in which they'd rather not face up to, so instead just broadside the public with as much signal noise and FUD as possible, and turn it into something that isn't about the realities of policy, but the mirage that this is all one big personality contest.

There was an article I can't remember which, but they went around to a bunch of Trump supporters and asked them to identify what about the republican platform they are in favor of and and advocate for.

Most of them didn't have a fucking clue.

http://observer.com/2017/01/donald-trump-press-conference-prague-michael-cohen/
In truth, the provenance of the 35-page dossier is well known in proper channels. Some of its assertions have been made by other NATO intelligence agencies, privately. Some of its claims are false, some are true, and some may linger between truth and fiction indefinitely. What’s important here is that the IC leadership decided to brief a small circle of the most senior American officials on that dossier’s findings. They don’t do that, ever—treating raw private intelligence reports by foreigners as worthy of briefing to “the top”—unless they can corroborate significant portions of it.

Even though the report originated as opposition research done by ex-MI6 agent, US Intel independently verified at least some of it and briefed Obama(and Trump I presume).

At least some of it is true.

Ac30

I'm not taking issue with the idea that it's fake, I'm taking extreme issue with the idea that allegedly reputable news outlets are totally fine reporting fake information.

CNN is standing by their article, though, and it is not directly related to BuzzFeed's release.

Why doesn't Russia just release the tapes and completely destabilize our country?

If this is all a big joke to them (considering they and the rest of the world are laughing at us, and will be for the rest of time over this, I'm assuming it is), if you really want to keep the laughs and fun going you don't release any video or audio until at least the day after inauguration

True Fire

The report that both Republicans and Democrats paid for during the election and is now being investigated by multiple agencies is from a "4chan sockpuppet troll"? Did I read that right?

I used quotation marks to describe a hypothetical troll. I don't know if it's real or not.

I have no problem believing that he'd be into golden showers with prostitutes and pissing on Obamas bed; I just think he'd seem slightly less enthusiastic when praising Putin if he was being blackmailed.

"Blackmail? That's pretty badass Putin! I haven't dealt with blackmail since I worked with the mob in the 80's. We're like a real Legion of Doom right here. I call Lex Luthor!"

"I like Doctor Doom."

"Doom isn't even part of DC comics! Crazy Russian."

Garjon

Why doesn't Russia just release the tapes and completely destabilize our country?

Why would they want that? Russia does not want war, it wants its sanctions lifted. If they are found to have deliberately caused destabilisation, what do you think the UN's response would be?

Posted already?

2017_01_11_17_23_10.jpg

IrishNinja

i understand it's more criminal than impeachable if its stuff that happens before he's sworn in, but i don't know how exactly that changes much after

nothing is gonna stop trump at this point, let alone something that still has to be proved... guy basically confessed sexual assault and still got elected, he is untouchable

i really hope he believes this nonsense too, it's the height of hubris

CNN is standing by their article, though, and it is not directly related to BuzzFeed's release.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm more alarmed by the poster's idea that there's "nothing wrong" with mainstream liberal outlets using fake news to "trap" public figures. Assuming I read it correctly.

Zophar

i understand it's more criminal than impeachable if its stuff that happens before he's sworn in, but i don't know how exactly that changes much after

i really hope he believes this nonsense too, it's the height of hubris

Some of his behavior at the press conference felt like this. Like he was pretty sure it wasn't gonna come back and haunt him.

Zereta

Have to think Trump tax returns will be leaked eventually. In fact, I'm shocked it has not happened yet.

Especially since there are people who have seen it. I remember someone on a MSNBC panel saying they've seen it and he can see a couple of reasons why Trump isnt releasing it.

faisal233

If this is all a big joke to them (considering they and the rest of the world are laughing at us, and will be for the rest of time over this, I'm assuming it is), if you really want to keep the laughs and fun going you don't release any video or audio until at least the day after inauguration

It's not a big joke. They are under crushing sanction that is destroying their economy. Getting Trump to remove the sanctions is the best thing that can happen to Russia. Having this all come out and getting Trump impeached is like getting the tip in but never cumming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom