• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spare a thought for Mr Steele
According to the daily telegraph he has had to go into hiding since he was outed by the WSJ(?) in my view that's pretty shitty to have put his name into the public domain assuming that he could have remained on the down low.
His life is definitely at risk now and of course his career/company is toast. I don't imagine he would feel to comfortable even visiting the USA after inauguration..

It's a bad situation, but the intelligence he produced may just be one of the most important documents in recent history. That is, if it's information is valid and it contributes to taking down a U.S. President.

My thoughts go out to Mr. Steele.

Caja 117

polonium-210

He could be found dead of a heart attack and this would still be suspect

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Is not about evidence or the authority having something to prosecute, is about the perception will be that if he is found dead or dissapears it will seems That the information was damaging and real, rather than dissapearing over something that is fake.

I really doubt amything will happen to him after the fact.

ZOONAMI

C18BIa-XEAEV-cY.jpg

LINK?

The CNN report is pretty clear it is from US officials letting them know about this lol.

But yeah this is pretty damning. They are considering this legit and actively corroborating it.

I don't see why they would brief him at all on it though, as it's basically, hey, your'e fucked.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
LINK?

The CNN report is pretty clear it is from US officials letting them know about this lol.

But yeah this is pretty damning. They are considering this legit and actively corroborating it.

I don't see why they would brief him at all on it though, as it's basically, hey, your'e fucked.

Probably hoped he wouldn't attend that meeting.

Jenov

Walter Shaub, the director of the office of government ethics, needs to be listened to. He had a conference explaining what a huge problem Trump is, and was later interviewed on MSNBC and compared Trump to Nixon. Trumps circus of a press conference and these russian shenanigans are completely sweeping under the rug his blatant conflicts of interest and ethics violations....

Ac30

LINK?

This could just give Trump the opportunity to burn anything that might implicate him, ugh

Zereta

No, Trump was pretty clearly shook and half of the conference focused on this report and Russia.

They brought up cameras everywhere in hotels, being a germaphobe (which he has also said he isn't a germaphobe), Cohen's passport (lol), etc.

They were pretty clearly shook.

You're not wrong about that but I think we just have different definitions of what sink in this sense is.

Most journalists weren't reporting on this story today because they didn't need to catch Trump in his lies to take down his press conference. Trump himself provided his "sinking" material with his ridiculous ethics plan and the media, for the most part, spent the rest of the day destroying that (and Tillerson's hearing), leaving CNN and British media, and the WSJ dox to do whatever work could be done on this dossier story.

Not to say this story isn't legitimate, I think its more legitimate than ever before and will only continue to grow. Just that this wasn't the focus today, as it shouldn't have been. Instead, the media wisely navigated this potential sinkhole and reported on the things that actually mattered for today. I'm confident that in the coming days, as this story blows up a little more, more outlets will talk about this.

For example, the NYT just released another story on this and how it's become a problem for Trump.

Loxley

Hope mr Christopher Steele is safe and OK

It sounds like he managed to get out of dodge before his name was made public. Being a spy with a lot of experience, one would think he likely still has friends in the British government that can help him keep a low profile for the time being.

Ac30

Walter Shaub, the director of the office of government ethics, needs to be listened to. He had a conference explaining what a huge problem Trump is, and was later interviewed on MSNBC and compared Trump to Nixon. Trumps circus of a press conference and these russian shenanigans are completely sweeping under the rug his blatant conflicts of interest and ethics violations....

germs-rammed-through-the-door1.jpg

Every time

leroidys

I agree, but I do wish we'd stop with the insults - calling people pieces of shit helps nobody and we have mods to ban shitposters, if they are seen as such. Just don't respond and report, IMO.

Yeah, I agree with you. The kneejerk "it's a Russian paid troll" thing is becoming pretty annoying, even as a joke.

zethren

Banned

Agreed. It's a great video. Everyone should check it out, it's only about 14 minutes long or so. Will try and grab a link.

Jenov

"Anyone who said you shouldn't vote for Hillary Clinton because of GOLDMAN SACHS! Yeah, you got suckered." -- Rachel Maddow (pointing to the fact Trump has now put a whopping 5 Goldman Sachs people in his administration)

McLovin

Omg I know this is horrible but could it mean a do-over on the election? Please please please!! An extended Obama term while it gets worked out would be icing on the cake.

zethren

Banned
Omg I know this is horrible but could it mean a do-over on the election? Please please please!! An extended Obama term while it gets worked out would be icing on the cake.

Nope.

Pence would get it, if not implicated alongside Trump.
Which at this time there is no reason to believe.

ZOONAMI

This could just give Trump the opportunity to burn anything that might implicate him, ugh

Potentially.

That's why this is really weird.

Clapper's language seems to suggest Trump is still the incoming administration etc. Like they had completed their research?

They wouldn't have briefed him on this unless they had already done their due diligence for exactly this reason of him burning anything left to burn.

Potentially though, it could be super spy like, and they are actively monitoring him and his staff, and want to see what their reaction is to being briefed on this (phone tap - Donnie to Cohen - "they fucking got us Cohen what the fuck are we going to do?").

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Do over is not gonna happen. This has never happened before at least I don't think it has. If Pence knew about it then we are really in new ground.

Boke1879

LINK?

I mean why NOT brief him on it? It basically is telling him. "hey this shit is out there and people are looking into it."

Jenov

Agreed. It's a great video. Everyone should check it out, it's only about 14 minutes long or so. Will try and grab a link.

Yeah I couldn't find the vid. Someone should prob make a topic though, because thats the other huge big news today that's getting overshadowed. That's a recipe for corruption, with a capital C.

Ac30

Potentially.

That's why this is really weird.

Clapper's language seems to suggest Trump is still the incoming administration etc. Like they had completed their research?

They wouldn't have briefed him on this unless they had already done their due diligence for exactly this reason of him burning anything left to burn.

Potentially though, it could be super spy like, and they are actively monitoring him and his staff, and want to see what their reaction is to being briefed on this (phone tap - Donnie to Cohen - "they fucking got us Cohen what the fuck are we going to do?").

I'm gonna go with them not finding anything to pin on him that will stick, and as such are gonna let this slide - unfortunate.

Boke1879

This statement makes it seem that the two-page memo was 1) very true and 2) wasn't really built out of stuff from that dossier.

Does that imply that IC built that memo off of additional evidence and research?

Of course. Their memo comes from the MI-6 guy I'm sure. That's why they think their sources are credible. They just have to verify them

antonz

No Do Over. At a minimum if action was taken it would be President Pence. However if the rabbit hole revealed Pence was well aware and in on it then it could become President Ryan

BajiBoxer

Banned

Maybe it will all be a big enough distraction that someone nails him out of left field on something completely unrelated.

Tahnit

Banned
No Do Over. At a minimum if action was taken it would be President Pence. However if the rabbit hole revealed Pence was well aware and in on it then it could become President Ryan

Honestly if trump is impeached his entire cabinet including his VP would come into serious question. They will wash their hands of this and get rid of anyone associated with Trump.

Trump confirms his appreciation for the intelligence community now. Previously he was calling them Nazis. Ok.

He said the same thing after his intelligence briefing.

He's going to gut the IC of the US and replace them with sycophants.

Folks say the GOP won't impeach Trump but y'all this is like the perfect opportunity for Paul Ryan to become their president.

If it's looking more and more like he's compromised they will distance themselves so they don't get dragged down.

Zereta

Of course. Their memo comes from the MI-6 guy I'm sure. That's why they think their sources are credible. They just have to verify them

Well, that's a new step. Because haven't we been assuming, or at least, the story so far, has been that this dossier has basically influenced most of the research that went into this two-page memo. Instead, it seems like it had minimal influence and the CIA and FBI have further corroborated their own stuff.

Pull the trigger when you gotta, IC. Trump isn't your friend, and you have the power to do your jobs and sink the fuck outta him.

Boke1879

Well, that's a new step. Because haven't we been assuming, or at least, the story so far, has been that this dossier has basically influenced most of the research that went into this two-page memo. Instead, it seems like it had minimal influence and the CIA and FBI have further corroborated their own stuff.

Pull the trigger when you gotta, IC. Trump isn't your friend, and you have the power to do your jobs and sink the fuck outta him.

Well McCain got his own sources involved as well and handed their report to the FBI. I'm pretty sure there are multiple sources saying the same thing which is why Officials believe this stuff is credible and they are looking to verify.

Either they got nothing or they're trying very carefully to avoid "Shadow Government vs the People's Champion" narratives which are already happening so I'm thinking it's the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom