• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're wrong. Russia wants to sow discord in Western society, and that's what we have right now. If Trump gets arrested or impeached, it will dig an even deeper trench between the political left and right in our country - the right will think the left have plotted a takeover.

Russia's endgame right now is to get those sanctions removed because they're fucking them up massively

Life comes at you fast

Caja 117

This cant be said enough, All this that is going on put in contrast what would had happened if this was a Democrat president elect. Jhon Stewart was a master in pointing things like this out.

jelly

Why be so blatant that you're talking to Russia though if you were worried it might look bad. Also, how do people know these details?

MUnited83

For you.
"Russia says nothing exists"... when you're accused of being in the pocket of Russia maybe using Russian claims to defend your suppised innocence isn't the smartest move...
The hilarious thing is that he even said "Russia says nothing exists. Probably...", Like, the dude knows he is guilty and he's banking that it just won't come out lol.

Boylamite

The hilarious thing is that he even said "Russia says nothing exists. Probably...", Like, the dude knows he is guilty and he's banking that it just won't come out lol.

The "Probably", while unfortunately placed, actually begins his next tweet after. It's yet another example of his terrible self awareness.

AndyD

aka andydumi
And now Obama is allowing globally intercepted Intel from the NSA to be shared with the rest of the intelligence community:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/...to-share-intercepted-communications.html?_r=0

Sounds like the NSA might have the smoking gun.

I know I am several pages late, but from an average joe's privacy perspective, this is really bad if there are no strong checks in place. If it wasn't for this transition debacle, the scrutiny would have been very different.

The "Probably", while unfortunately placed, actually begins his next tweet after. It's yet another example of his Terri keep self awareness.
Yep, it was a two part tweet. That being said, it took him 5 min to submit the 2nd tweet so that "probably..." was left out to dry haha

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
What the hell is with Fox News calling the Dossier discredited?

Did they say discredited? Was it a news program or an op ed talking head who said it?

They are unsubstantiated at this point though. Discredited, no... but a talking head can twist unsubstantiated to discredited pretty easily.

Frustrated with Obama's peaceful transition of power.

The deplorables will never be swayed, and if you fuck the next election or two for the dems at the cost of national security for the next 4-8 years, fucking do it.

Obama isn't doing nothing. He's the one who made this directive: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/...to-share-intercepted-communications.html?_r=0

Obama knows that the way to win is to look like he hasn't done anything, even when he IS doing stuff.

EDIT: In fact I would go so far as to say that Obama announced those Sanctions against Russian Diplomats as bait to see which people in Trump's inner circle would call Russia suddenly.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Remember that Russia installed Yanukovych in Ukraine, poisoning his opponent, Yushchenko to do it. When Yushchenko didn't die, and Yanukovych won, Ukraine halted the country with protest and international observers came in and re-ran the election and Yushchenko won.

So what happened to Putin's puppet, Yanukovych? He fucking won the next election five years later. Then Ukraine spent most of his next term trying to oust him AGAIN, and when they finally did, Russia annexed Crimea using the turmoil as cover.

So no, if Trump is proven to be compromised Russia won't burn him, they'll protect him and support him like Yanukovych.

Xtyle

Would it be a surprise if...let's say networks like Fox news has some connection to Russia? Do the get foreign donations or are the just doing this because their fan base is really that big?

jelly

Even if Trump manages to survive, wouldn't anything Pro Russia by his administration look very dodgy so he basically couldn't do anything?

Vixdean

My feeling on all this stuff goes kinda like this. There's really three separate but related concerns here,

1. Was Russia responsible for the DNC/Podesta hacks and releasing them through Wikileaks with the specific aim of damaging Hillary's electoral chances? I think we can pretty definitely say yes. There's almost universal consensus from the intelligence community and even GOP partisans that this was the case. The only people denying it is /r/theDonald and 4chan /pol/.

2. Does Putin have some sort of compromising information, "kompromat", on Trump that they intend to use as leverage over him during his Presidency? Obviously there's no public evidence or consensus on these claims, but I think it's safe to say that at least some in the IC are concerned about the possibility. Otherwise, why brief Trump and Obama at all on those allegations? I don't think they are out to "get" him, rather they want to protect him from potential blackmail by a foreign power. It would be in Trump and the country's best interest to come clean with the IC and public about this.

3. Has Trump or people within' his campaign actively worked with Russia to help him win the election in exchange for things like removing sanctions or a more lenient position on Ukraine? This is obviously the biggie and the only one that could lead to removal from office. It's also the one that's currently impossible to prove. Yeah, there's all sorts of circumstantial evidence, but it seems closer to a conspiracy theory than anything else. The only thing we know is that the FBI requested a warrant from a FISA court to tap a couple of Trump's aides and were denied.

riotous

Banned
So no, if Trump is proven to be compromised Russia won't burn him, they'll protect him and support him like Yanukovych.

Not every situation is the same; Trump has no chance to stay relevant in the US, he'll need to be pardoned not to be imprisoned.

And the goal is different here; Russia is allegedly trying to cause political turmoil in the US.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Even if Trump manages to survive, wouldn't anything Pro Russia by his administration look very dodgy so he basically couldn't do anything?

My feeling on it they will want a give and take. If the Gop wants something this is their best shot at getting it. So they get their pockets filled.

Just hope some have balls and stand up for shit besides the Pro Russia stuff. The attack on the press is the biggest thing to worry about.

This just happened.

Lawmaker: Fire CNN reporter who fought with Trump

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2611686/

adj_noun

One of the headlines on their website.

Well, let's pay them a visit and see why they say it's discredited. Everyone put on your hazmat suits and follow me!

I...eh....well this is weird.

The headline on their main page reads:

Ex-spy allegedly behind discredited Trump dossier helped take down FIFA officials

But then you click it and get

Ex-spy allegedly behind Trump dossier reportedly helped FBI in FIFA probe

in the actual article.

The first paragraph says

The former British spy who allegedly created an incriminating but now-discredited dossier on President-elect Donald Trump reportedly helped the FBI build its case against FIFA officials back in 2010, The Washington Post reported.

They don't say anything else about how or why it's discredited. The WaPO story they link to doesn't say it is.

KingKong

I know I am several pages late, but from an average joe's privacy perspective, this is really bad if there are no strong checks in place. If it wasn't for this transition debacle, the scrutiny would have been very different.

its absolutely terrible. there is zero justification for this:

Previously, the N.S.A. filtered information before sharing intercepted communications with another agency, like the C.I.A. or the intelligence branches of the F.B.I. and the Drug Enforcement Administration. The N.S.A.’s analysts passed on only information they deemed pertinent, screening out the identities of innocent people and irrelevant personal information.

Now, other intelligence agencies will be able to search directly through raw repositories of communications intercepted by the N.S.A. and then apply such rules for “minimizing” privacy intrusions.

You know how the last two years, in spite of total obstruction in congress, Obama has been able to do a ton of stuff especially on the foreign policy front?

Executive branch owns foreign policy. There would be nothing to really stop Trump from bowing down to Putin other than impeachment, unless he needed to go to congress to get cash for something.

Zereta

Well, let's pay them a visit and see why they say it's discredited. Everyone put on your hazmat suits and follow me!

in the actual article.

The first paragraph says

They don't say anything else about how or why it's discredited. The WaPO story they link to doesn't say it is.

You mean to tell me... Fox News, like many other right wing media outlets is actually just a steaming pile of horseshit designed to appeal to the wants of a stubborn, backward, hating hyper conservative audience and to cheat conservatives who are more moderate into second guessing reality?

Yikes!

Dr.Acula

Banned
Rekt

I am an utter failure lol

Just remember, if someone displays outrage at something they learned in a briefing, it's always a Democrat. Republicans are in this so deep. There's like McCain and two other dudes, but everyone else is just happy their team won.

BowieZ

Banned

in the actual article.

The first paragraph says

I like how there's no specified author of that article.

Ac30

Maybe what Russia has on him is really damaging.
And who knows just how much he has to lose...and not just financially

Trump isn't a politician. He's spent his life surrounded by yes men (which he's stocked his cabinet with, awful idea). Guy probably doesn't understand how bad all of this looks. He should be sitting back and letting this blow over for a few months instead of bringing it up at every opportunity.

And we need something beyond "Well that one dude called the Russian dude to say Merry Christmas". Being friends with Russians isn't a crime. Pls NSA leak tapes

bebop242

You mean to tell me... Fox News, like many other right wing media outlets is actually just a steaming pile of horseshit designed to appeal to the wants of a stubborn, backward, hating hyper conservative audience and to cheat conservatives who are more moderate into second guessing reality?

Yikes!

Thing is Fox News is masterworks at spinning and twisting truths. Don't remember them ever being so obviously wrong.

Gutek

Trump isn't a politician. He's spent his life surrounded by yes men (which he's stocked his cabinet with, awful idea). Guy probably doesn't understand how bad all of this looks. He should be sitting back and letting this blow over for a few months instead of bringing it up at every opportunity.

And we need something beyond "Well that one dude called the Russian dude to say Merry Christmas". Being friends with Russians isn't a crime. Pls NSA leak tapes

There was "Flynn and son on Russia payroll" floating around yesterday. Maybe there's something to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom