• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtyle

its absolutely terrible. there is zero justification for this:

Previously, the N.S.A. filtered information before sharing intercepted communications with another agency, like the C.I.A. or the intelligence branches of the F.B.I. and the Drug Enforcement Administration. The N.S.A.’s analysts passed on only information they deemed pertinent, screening out the identities of innocent people and irrelevant personal
information.

Now, other intelligence agencies will be able to search directly through raw repositories of communications intercepted by the N.S.A. and then apply such rules for “minimizing” privacy intrusions.

Isn't this done just so if they can't take down Trump before the 20th, other agencies still have access to CIA information (isn't Trump going to replace head of CIA?)

BowieZ

Banned
Why be so blatant that you're talking to Russia though if you were worried it might look bad. Also, how do people know these details?
The answer to this would be that they all thought they'd be able to seize control of the relevant departments and information on the evening of the 20th.

Isn't this done just so if they can't take down Trump before the 20th, other agencies still have access to CIA information (isn't Trump going to replace head of CIA?)
The Atlantic suggests as much.

Edit: Well, it's a bit more complicated than that.

When [the statute's procedures] were in rewrites, they were sort of vulnerable. There was the possibility that an incoming administration would say, ”Hey! While you're in the process of rewriting, let's go ahead and adjust some of the domestic protections."

So I don't think that it's necessarily true that the intelligence community or the Department of Justice was rushing to get these procedures passed; if anything, they're a little bit late. But I think the bottom line is that it's comforting to a large national-security community that these are procedures that are signed off by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and Attorney General Loretta Lynch, and not by the DNI and attorney general that will ultimately be confirmed under the Trump Administration.
emphasis on necessarily ;-)

This is what I'm thinking.

Especially this late in the game, I feel like theres something there for Obama to do this 7 days before he leaves.

Sean Spicer explains phone calls between Flynn and Russia:

https://twitter.com/elizlanders/status/819941078392520704

cIwkge3.jpg

jelly

Didn't Trump's son say they have a lot of deals in Russia. Maybe he is in deep too which makes it even worse when you consider Trump is still hands on with the business not that prop show at this press event.

Secret phone calls to Russia, plain and simple. Direct communication with the people who threw the election your way, plain and simple.

Treason, plain and simple.

You're wrong. Russia wants to sow discord in Western society, and that's what we have right now. If Trump gets arrested or impeached, it will dig an even deeper trench between the political left and right in our country - the right will think the left have plotted a takeover.

I think they probably would have been happy with just general disruption, but once they realized how fucking dumb Americans are and how gullible Trump is someone saw the brass ring and went for it. They're probably significantly less happy with general discord than they would have been with getting their own private stooge installed without suspicion or oversight into power.

Teggy

Didn't Trump's son say they have a lot of deals in Russia. Maybe he is in deep too which makes it even worse when you consider Trump is still hands on with the business not that prop show at this press event.

It's one of the weirdest parts of the story. This quote has been known for a long time but no one has ever been able to produce any details.

And if Penthouse has anything I'll eat multiple hats. They shouldn't have announced anything. No shit people contacted them trying to get 1 million dollars.

Ac30

It's one of the weirdest parts of the story. This quote has been known for a long time but no one has ever been able to produce any details.

And if Penthouse has anything I'll eat multiple hats. They shouldn't have announced anything. No shit people contacted them trying to get 1 million dollars.

Where does it say that Penthouse has something?

I mean shit they could put the bounty at 5 million easy, the moment this gets posted they'll get tens of millions of clicks

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Now he is blaming both parties.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-claims-idUSKBN14X1AG

"U.S. President-elect Donald Trump on Friday accused his political opponents, "both Democrats and Republicans," for putting together a dossier of unverified claims linking him to Russia and said the document was probably released by intelligence agencies.

"Totally made up facts by sleazebag political operatives, both Democrats and Republicans - FAKE NEWS! Russia says nothing exists," Trump said in a series of posts on Twitter.

"Probably released by 'Intelligence' even knowing there is no proof, and never will be," he said."

Xe4

Banned
Umm the Justice Department opened up a probe into Comey's public behaviour during the Hillary clintion email investigation.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/fbi-comey-justice-dept-review-1.3933893

I apologise if y'all have already discussed this. I went back to the page I last read, and I haven't seen any posting about it.
Good. Comey's handling of the email situation was horrible and cost Clinton the election.

Deserves it's own thread, TBH. New thread for new news and all.

Ac30

Good. Comey's handling of the email situation was horrible and cost Clinton the election.

Pretty sure it was posted but the Switch presentation and all the other stuff that came out yesterday overshadowed it

Ehhhh there's a lot more to why Hillary lost than just that, but Comey is still a piece of shit and his handling of the entire thing was horrible, I agree.

KingKong

this is data from the NSA to other agencies. it means instead of NSA filtering private data, agencies will have to do it themselves. and we all know how well that's gonna go when the DEA and DHS (with Trumps picks for its leaders) gets full citizen data

Macam

Banned
Now he is blaming both parties.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-claims-idUSKBN14X1AG

"U.S. President-elect Donald Trump on Friday accused his political opponents, "both Democrats and Republicans," for putting together a dossier of unverified claims linking him to Russia and said the document was probably released by intelligence agencies.

"Totally made up facts by sleazebag political operatives, both Democrats and Republicans - FAKE NEWS! Russia says nothing exists," Trump said in a series of posts on Twitter.

"Probably released by 'Intelligence' even knowing there is no proof, and never will be," he said."

"My potential extortionist assures me they have nothing to blackmail me with, so we're all good. Da sveedaneeya!"

Horns

How does one just reach out to an ambassador? It's not like your circle should have his number. I would think getting contact information goes through the state department.

How does one just reach out to an ambassador? It's not like your circle should have his number. I would think getting contact information goes through the state department.
Flynn has been accosting Putin goons for years. I'm sure he had a a direct line to few of them. I mean the guy was seated next to arguably the most powerful man in that continent during that dinner.

Engell

Them times where i just casually text the Russian ambassador at Christmas without having exchanged any words before that... sounds totally reasonable

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Flynn has been accosting Putin goons for years. I'm sure he had a a direct line to few of them. I mean the guy was seated next to arguably the most powerful man in that continent during that dinner.

I mean its like going to a wedding and not talking to everyone at the table that you don't know. Just hope there is one asshole is trying to make everyone get along.

Knowing how tense things are with accusations of being in bed with Russia, how the fuck do you think its a good idea to be contacting them all chummy like that?

Knowing how tense things are with accusations of being in bed with Russia, how the fuck do you think its a good idea to be contacting them all chummy like that?

Flynn probably didn't know that the NSA was watching him when he made those phone calls in reaction to Obama's sanctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom