• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Surprised this wasn't banned (even though it was auto generated)

3yo2ea.jpg
REEE, aside this is some next-gen shit : D

ebvL3yQ.jpg

Ionian

Well they do believe their opinion actually matters and have managed to drive off anyone with a dose of sanity, either by bans or users just no longer visiting.

All that is left in the remnants is self-important assholes, trolls and the little who still try to reasonably argue a point.

It's top quality content.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Poor guy gets banned for 1 month for suggesting that you don't need a female protagonist in an Assassin's Creed game.

(post #4 in this woke thread)

The OP there makes a massive error straight off the bat.
Ubisoft can’t force me to play their games.
This idea that you can’t opt-out if they make one lead character and make them female is nonsense.
I can just decide to not buy the game.

So from Ubisoft’s perspective this is now a simple equation.
If the number of people who will not buy the game because of certain choices is greater than the number of new players they will bring in then it’s not a good choice.

In addition, it’s possible to acknowledge that there is no reason at all why a developer shouldn’t make a game with a female lead while also feeling that a male lead is a better choice.

In Odyssey, for example, you have the protagonist taking part in these head to head battles against multiple trained soldiers so, even though the game is a kind of historical fantasy, I feel like a male lead is more “honest”. Horizon got away with it because Aloy is mostly going up against weird sci-fi robots and when she does fight she is using ranged weapons and traps. If you want to do a female protagonist in Assassin’s Creed then for me it should be a pure stealth game.

Nathan Drake is just a more believable Lara Croft. 😊

I dunno. It’s just humorous to me the idea that they can force players to play as female protagonists and this is a great thing. As if we can’t just decide not to buy the game.

I bought the previous 2 Wolfenstein games before Youngblood and I didn’t buy the new one because the protagonists seemed god-awful and annoying.
So it’s not like they scored some points for feminism because I was forced to play as a chick. I just didn’t buy the game and played other things instead.

If the new AC is going to be set during the Viking invasions of Britain and if they want to have a good story then, for me, a male lead character makes most sense.
Especially if it’s going to be all about swinging heavy ass axes and swords around. For pure stealth a female led game could be awesome.

The OP there talks as though Ubisoft have some kind of obligation to write a female-only game.
The truth is that there really is no need to have a female lead since the game is obviously going to be a game about fighting strong dudes with axes and swords and shit. Assuming they want to have at least some kind of historical accuracy.

At the end of the day it’s fine by me if Ubisoft wants to make games tailored specifically for, and made to pander to, people like this. I just wouldn’t buy them.
So, that’s how I’d “opt-out”.

I'm sure a post like this would get me a ban over there anyway so there would be no point in the "debate".

The OP there makes a massive error straight off the bat.
Ubisoft can’t force me to play their games.
This idea that you can’t opt-out if they make one lead character and make them female is nonsense.
I can just decide to not buy the game.

So from Ubisoft’s perspective this is now a simple equation.
If the number of people who will not buy the game because of certain choices is greater than the number of new players they will bring in then it’s not a good choice.

In addition, it’s possible to acknowledge that there is no reason at all why a developer shouldn’t make a game with a female lead while also feeling that a male lead is a better choice.

In Odyssey, for example, you have the protagonist taking part in these head to head battles against multiple trained soldiers so, even though the game is a kind of historical fantasy, I feel like a male lead is more “honest”. Horizon got away with it because Aloy is mostly going up against weird sci-fi robots and when she does fight she is using ranged weapons and traps. If you want to do a female protagonist in Assassin’s Creed then for me it should be a pure stealth game.

Nathan Drake is just a more believable Lara Croft. 😊

I dunno. It’s just humorous to me the idea that they can force players to play as female protagonists and this is a great thing. As if we can’t just decide not to buy the game.

I bought the previous 2 Wolfenstein games before Youngblood and I didn’t buy the new one because the protagonists seemed god-awful and annoying.
So it’s not like they scored some points for feminism because I was forced to play as a chick. I just didn’t buy the game and played other things instead.

If the new AC is going to be set during the Viking invasions of Britain and if they want to have a good story then, for me, a male lead character makes most sense.
Especially if it’s going to be all about swinging heavy ass axes and swords around. For pure stealth a female led game could be awesome.

The OP there talks as though Ubisoft have some kind of obligation to write a female-only game.
The truth is that there really is no need to have a female lead since the game is obviously going to be a game about fighting strong dudes with axes and swords and shit. Assuming they want to have at least some kind of historical accuracy.

At the end of the day it’s fine by me if Ubisoft wants to make games tailored specifically for, and made to pander to, people like this. I just wouldn’t buy them.
So, that’s how I’d “opt-out”.

I'm sure a post like this would get me a ban over there anyway so there would be no point in the "debate".

[Banned: Duration Pending. Implying that men and women are not 100% the same in every way. ]

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they are really upset people are discussing these allegations. sounds like Dischord might be a safe space where they can trash Tara.

G32uUaN.png

qET2XjR.png

really leaning in on "the real victims are people voting Biden".

seemingly they are saving what they really want to say for the Dischord. if someone can get on that and get screencaps im sure some interesting stuff would be said.

Last edited:

dottme

Poor guy gets banned for 1 month for suggesting that you don't need a female protagonist in an Assassin's Creed game.

And they just announce that there’s a female hero in AC:V.

Saruhashi

Banned
[Banned: Duration Pending. Implying that men and women are not 100% the same in every way. ]

Haha.

They are so dumb. Just look at the release trailer for AC Valhalla. Main protagonist is fighting head to head against some massive dude on a medieval battlefield. "This should be a female protagonist" is the first reaction? Hilarious.

I get it. AC has fantastical elements. So you can't say it's 100% historically accurate. You can still ask for a sense of realism to some extent, in my opinion.
I mean, why are they choosing a specific period in actual history if not to add some sense of realism?

I do not get this idea that if I play as a woman in a videogame then I somehow "understand different perspectives".
Like, wouldn't a better way to understand women just be um... get to know some actual women?
Suppose you'd need to leave mummy's basement for that.

It occurs to me that we might have a generation of dudes who think because they played Horizon and Tomb Raider that they "understand women". :)

Then again, we already have a whole gang of males over there who seem to think the best way to "get" women's issues is to simply start identifying as one.

dottme

After the Battlefield V debacle there's no way ree is going to let anyone use historical accuracy as an argument against female protags.
I was more thinking about the fact that they are already complaining that there is no female hero in AC:V. They have to change it a little. There isn’t enough picture of the female hero. The female hero isn’t present enough in the marketing...

im sure they can find something to complain about.

Bigrx1

Banned

Of course, of course this is the main takeaway from the trailer reveal.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol @ "based on random tweets" the topic of the thread this mod shut down is literally from Rose McGowan's personal Twitter account.

rRMGJfL.png

she even has a Blue Check! that mark of unmistakable quality.

sadly not even that will protect you if you don't tow the line!

gnYCIgt.png

Last edited:
lol @ "based on random tweets" the topic of the thread this mod shut down is literally from Rose McGowan's personal Twitter account.

rRMGJfL.png

gnYCIgt.png
True clownworld revelations these past few days.

pulga

Banned

rRMGJfL.png

gnYCIgt.png
motherfucker if shes a rando what do you think you are, plus threads about tweets get posted all the damn time lmao

pulga

Banned
used to be all you would see on ERA is "RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA" now they won't even entertain the thought the Biden rape allegations are Russian or GOP interference? It's so boring, you either get in line with "believe all women, period" or get banned. Something like this is political shit-flinging 101, it's worth a discussion.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
c0j5Sbu.png

Imagine playing these games and having that be your problem with them. It's not a fucking dating sim you mong.
'member when romance in games were cringe? Like Mass Effect times, sex box, etc...

cB6ga0M.png

Odds the same guy on Era that said he'd vote for Hitler is the same guy mourning his death anniversary on Insta?

ELoi-3xWwAAquyz.jpg

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
My conclusion is that he follows some pretty shitty and ignorant people on Instagram?

There are two possibilities. He follows them because he believes their views, or he follows them because he is addicted to outrage and the feeling of superiority he gets from being outraged by evil. Neither is healthy.

Just to acknowledge my own hypocrisy, following this thread is a bit like the latter. Hey, no one is perfect.

Last edited:

nush

In a forum full of idiotic posts this guy has one of the dumbest ones I’ve read.

It's his topic and he clearly does not know anything about what he's posting. Basically, "I don't have a lawn, will never have one, will never be able to afford a property with one" Ergo Lawns are a waste of time.

Cow Mengde is one of the top ten bitter Asian losers on Era BTW.

It's rare to see someone so proudly show to the world how small his balls are:

JORMBO

Darkness no more

It's his topic and he clearly does not know anything about what he's posting. Basically, "I don't have a lawn, will never have one, will never be able to afford a property with one" Ergo Lawns are a waste of time.

Cow Mengde is one of the top ten bitter Asian losers on Era BTW.

That OP is a moron. Letting your grass grow wild would lead to it becoming full of ticks and other bugs, along with rats and more bad things. It would also not dry out well and become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

The lawn thing is weird. Grass is still a plant. A lawn is still sequestering carbon. It is still cleaning the air and providing a home for beneficial insects and microorganisms. It also protects the soil from erosion. That last issue plays a big role in city planning/mgmt since they could be preventing thousands of pounds of soil runoff every year in their city by keeping up the lawns.

Could someone use that same square footage for superior plants? Sure, but I'd challenge them to find an easier one than good ol' grass. People could plant a garden in that same area but that takes knowledge and management. Plus, the constant tilling of the average garden (no-till is the way) puts more nitrogen and co2 into the atmosphere. You could plant a tree but there are limits, plus the long-term risk it poses to any nearby structures. Grass is pretty easy to care for and if you either bag+compost the clippings or mulch them back into the lawn, you are quietly improving the earth by sequestering carbon and improving your soil health.

Seems like a no-brainer for a group that claims to care about the environment. 🤷‍♀️

Also grasslands are a "more reliable" carbon sink compared to forests in modern California. Who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom