• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Thats what the shotgun is for!
Shotguns and Pistols are for EZ Mode.

People actually use the mine thrower? I've played through this game at least a half-dozen times and never used it as anything but a gimmick.

Might try it now just for kicks. It doesn't seem all that practical though.

It's not practical at all! But it's fun as hell. Funniest thing to do with it, is when you have enemies trying to climb up a ladder towards you, shoot the first guy up the ladder with a dart, knock the ladder down, and about half a second later everyone dies at the bottom. It's awesome.

Yeah, they're basically Facehuggers from Alien. When those things come out, so does my shotgun, even if I should be sparing ammo for it.

And no, a friend told me that my copy wasn't available through family sharing, and it seems to be an issue w/ the game itself or its Steam registry entry.

My brother's annoyed he can't access it, sucks.

Dr Dogg

Just beat the first iron maiden in pro and I barely have any herbs left. I didn't remember what area was after that but I thought it probably should be a safe area or a merchant.
Open door -> Water room.

http://youtu.be/0UIvf1ascmk?t=51s

I was running around so much during that sequence that I could hear the Benny Hill theme playing in my head. Funnily switching to using the mouse to aim made them seam trivial. Though had one close call when I though i was out of pouncy, bittey range only to be jumped upon and dead in an instant.

I do remember Regenerators, but I don't remember Iron Maidens. I'm in for quite the surprise!

Assuming you IR scope Regenerators, the most important thing you'll need to know is that they always have a Plagas on their back, so you'll HAVE to shoot them in the knees.

I really hope Capcom can bring back Specular Highlights, fix the gamma and add the illumination around light sources. And fix the missed animations that weren't 60 fps (rifle reload). And give us V-Sync options.

dhonk

I really hope Capcom can bring back Specular Highlights, fix the gamma and add the illumination around light sources. And fix the missed animations that weren't 60 fps (rifle reload). And give us V-Sync options.

+ Ability to swap A and X for the 360 controller. Then this game would be perrrrrrrrfect.

Grief.exe

If Capcom doesn't, and they may be barred by legal implications for Specular Highlights, we have a modder that has already successfully implemented some of those lost effects.

+ Ability to swap A and X for the 360 controller. Then this game would be perrrrrrrrfect.

Have you checked all of the controller configurations?

Wolverine guys

Don't kill the surprise!

JRW

It's crazy they left all that out in the first place.. especially the specular & illumination effects.

They really need to address the gamma to or give us a way to adjust it... I didn't realize how bad it was until I started playing Wii version via Dolphin recently.

Neathyr

Kinda surprised to see so many people having problems in this game. Under normal circumstances, Resi 4 is way too fucking easy even if you choose not to upgrade your favorite weapons, since most enemies can't hit you from afar and the Kick/German suplex are fairly easy to abuse if you play really clean. Plus, you receive you a shitload of ammo.

The game shows its true colors once you attempt a "kill-everything-with-the-knife-aside-from-the-occasional-Handgun-shots-when-necessary" run, though. aka take full advantage of the game's combat system.
The Zealot elevator (right before the Salazar fight) is a fun challenge to go for a knife-only/no damage segment...

Grief.exe

Kinda surprised to see so many people having problems in this game. Under normal circumstances, Resi 4 is way too fucking easy even if you choose not to upgrade your favorite weapons, since most enemies can't hit you from afar and the Kick/German suplex are fairly easy to abuse if you play really clean. Plus, you receive you a shitload of ammo.

The game shows its true colors once you attempt a "kill-everything-with-the-knife-aside-from-the-occasional-Handgun-shots-when-necessary" run, though. aka take full advantage of the game's combat system.
The Zealot elevator (right before the Salazar fight) is a fun challenge to go for a knife-only/no damage segment...

I just did that section. There are so many places where I question if it would be legitimately possible to do a no-gun run.

"I'm a complete and utter master, so therefore by logic everyone is just terrible, the game is super easy and is able to be beaten by a sleeping baby."

Shotguns and Pistols are for EZ Mode.

It's not practical at all! But it's fun as hell. Funniest thing to do with it, is when you have enemies trying to climb up a ladder towards you, shoot the first guy up the ladder with a dart, knock the ladder down, and about half a second later everyone dies at the bottom. It's awesome.

I'd argue that tmp is "easy" mode as it takes a bit more skill to aim the handgun than a tmp. and tmp makes boss fights like gigante a damn joke, while doing the same boss fight with a red9 is much more difficult.

Grief.exe

I've just got to start using my Rifle and Shotgun as I have around 100 rounds of each in the stockpile and capacity upgrades to boot.

I'd argue that tmp is "easy" mode as it takes a bit more skill to aim the handgun than a tmp. and tmp makes boss fights like gigante a damn joke, while doing the same boss fight with a red9 is much more difficult.

Individual fights and such yeah are a lot easier with the TMP than the Red9, but you have to factor in that I've got only two ammo pools to actually use, the Rifle and the TMP rounds, while the game continues to shower me in Handgun and Shotgun ammo that's scripted to always appear. Every merchant I'm dumping like 40 shotgun rounds and 125 or so pistol rounds, whereas I've got around a 3/4 box of TMP and Rifle ammo.

epmode

Did... did no one get the IR Scope? The thing that trivializes Regenerator/Iron Maiden encounters?

Seriously. I've seen people post about how scary Regenerators are but I didn't even see their attack animation until I let one hit me on my second playthrough.

Yup, years of playing the Gamecube is really messing me up with the new controls.

You can change those with some .ini tweaks. I'd link you mine, but everything is associated by name, since I had plenty of time to get used to the Classic Controller layout, and am using the Wii U Pro controller (which ofc has the same layout.)

Granted, when a QTE pops up it'll still say X when you need to hit A, but that's easy mode to remember.

lexi

Banned
You can change those with some .ini tweaks. I'd link you mine, but everything is associated by name, since I had plenty of time to get used to the Classic Controller layout, and am using the Wii U Pro controller (which ofc has the same layout.)

Granted, when a QTE pops up it'll still say X when you need to hit A, but that's easy mode to remember.

I'll just have to re-learn, this will be the version I no doubt re-play for the next 20 years. Muscle memory is REAL, a few hours in I keep messing up 180 degree turns and a few other things.

Neathyr

I just did that section. There are so many places where I question if it would be legitimately possible to do a no-gun run.

Unfortunately, you are forced to use a gun during certain parts. Salazar himself cannot be faced at close range, for instance. Afaik, it takes ~350 shots to kill him with the unupgraded Handgun.

"I'm a complete and utter master, so therefore by logic everyone is just terrible, the game is super easy and is able to be beaten by a sleeping baby."

Eh... it doesn't take much skill to get good at RE4, since there are way too many ways to trivialize any obstacle the game can throw at you (the fact that you are able to purchase the RL at any point is a proof of this). But yes, most people who play games can beat RE4 in any way they want, thanks to its semi-limitless self-imposed potential.
If you think it takes complete and total mastery of controls to even beat it, then you might as well stop sucking at games or something.

Unfortunately, you are forced to use a gun during certain parts. Salazar himself cannot be faced at close range, for instance. Afaik, it takes ~350 shots to kill him with the unupgraded Handgun.

Eh... it doesn't take much skill to get good at RE4, since there are way too many ways to trivialize any obstacle the game can throw at you (the fact that you are able to purchase the RL is a proof of this). But yes, most people who play games can beat RE4 in any way they want.
If you think it takes complete and total mastery of controls to even beat it, then you might as well stop sucking at games or something.

Most people would say the game is challenging, especially on their first playthrough. That people are being challenged by a challenging game, on their first playthrough, is not surprising.
Yes, learning how to exploit the AI, mechanics, and all that good stuff can trivialize encounters, but it's not like when you first turn the game on, Hunnigan phones in and says "Hey Leon, the most efficient way to kill enemies is to shoot them in the knee, suplex them, and then knife them." Most people, probably including you, had to figure that, and many other things, out.

EDIT: BTW, I don't suck, I've beaten the game MANY times, most on Professional. I've also beaten Dark Souls at SL5, and while I don't claim to be a complete master of either of these games, it annoys the dogshit out of me when people say they are so easy and everyone just sucks at life for dying once or twice.

Grief.exe

Most people would say the game is challenging, especially on their first playthrough. That people are being challenged by a challenging game, on their first playthrough, is not surprising.
Yes, learning how to exploit the AI, mechanics, and all that good stuff can trivialize encounters, but it's not like when you first turn the game on, Hunnigan phones in and says "Hey Leon, the most efficient way to kill enemies is to shoot them in the knee, suplex them, and then knife them." Most people, probably including you, had to figure that, and many other things, out.

EDIT: BTW, I don't suck, I've beaten the game MANY times, most on Professional. I've also beaten Dark Souls at SL5, and while I don't claim to be a complete master of either of these games, it annoys the dogshit out of me when people say they are so easy and everyone just sucks at life for dying once or twice.

This game is far from easy. I played this game a decade ago, but really don't remember too much about my play through.

I'm dying and reloading certain points, retrying bosses, this game is far from a walk in the park.

Did capcom remove it for any of their games yet?

Nope.

If you can tell me what chapter 50% is and where to find the save file I think I have one since I saved at the end of every chapter.
Thanks man, I'm not sure the exact chapter since I haven't played since the GC version but it's half way through. I can check when I get home.

L.O.R.D

is it me or ashly dies only by 1 shot ?
accidentally shot her in the leg and she die , yes, she is full health with upgrades
also, when she stuck in one of the traps , her health drop very fast till it reach 1 hit, then i stop

==========

is there any mod for this game yet ?

albe0

Neo Member
Thanks man, I'm not sure the exact chapter since I haven't played since the GC version but it's half way through. I can check when I get home.

I was just about to send you a PM about it but I might as well ask it here, is there any way to find the save files, I seem to remember quite a few pages back someone mentioning the saves were tied to steam accounts and I can't seem to find much in the steam game folder?

I was just about to send you a PM about it but I might as well ask it here, is there any way to find the save files, I seem to remember quite a few pages back someone mentioning the saves were tied to steam accounts and I can't seem to find much in the steam game folder?

Try:

C:>program files>steam>steam apps>common and then find RE4,

L.O.R.D

is it me or ashly dies only by 1 shot ?
accidentally shot her in the leg and she die , yes, she is full health with upgrades
also, when she stuck in one of the traps , her health drop very fast till it reach 1 hit, then i stop

==========

is there any mod for this game yet ?

for the new page

Top Bottom