• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Prompto

Banned
Japanese title:

Ck4QbE8XEAUNxFd.jpg:large
That's really awesome

Being all first person has already killed it. I don't care what kind of shit they try to come up with, gaming mechanics have forms and limits. It is impossible to do RE proper in first person. Other people may not mind and try to say oh I'm wrong if it ends up being a good game, but good game or not this will be throwing away what RE is for something else and I completely disagree that 4 or 6 did that.

As for other worries, like the other aspects of gameplay being all wrong, tone/style being all wrong, the setting/story/characters being all wrong, I haven't made let alone committed to any claims on that, although what is seen here and what is said by Capcom is extremely worrying. People saying RE "needed" this aren't really coming off like people who liked the franchise much. I loved everything about it, primarily the action/sassy/campy/horror style of world and characters they built with consistency. While going first person sucks, that can just be one title; if they end up throwing out the style/world/characters as well, they are pretty much killing the franchise while keeping the name.

Some people feel that happened with 4 or 6, but as I said I completely disagree with it. Those brought development on all fronts, not a change into something else from what makes it what it is. Since so many on GAF so often seem to assume I'm attempting an objective argument when I'm not, please be aware that people can go ahead and disagree about whether or not this is a "legitimate" RE and that neither of our opinions are objective reality. Nothing I'm saying is some kind of objective declaration on the game for quality as standalone or whether or not people will or should enjoy it or consider it RE. You can think and enjoy whatever the fuck you want. I'm just saying what I think from my own view of what makes the essence of franchise and how this seems in comparison.

Lol

There hasn't been any proper gameplay or story reveals. Your claims are moot until otherwise. Good grief. Relax.

Asi9

Neo Member
Called this about five seconds into the trailer. I knew if anyone was gonna go for something like this and take an early jump on a gimmick, Capcom would. That and RE7 would be the only thing that made sense there.

DieH@rd

Banned
I FULLY FULLY FULLY FULLY FULLY SUPPORT THE NEW GAMEPLAY STYLE.

Series was in bad need of new ideas, and coppying PT is a great way to do it. Just make a great game, and I will be happy.

Now where's that demo? :D I am making a wow, I will play full game in VR. Sanity be damned.

Well, I'm super fucking excited. Looks scarier than the previous few games combined, no sign of bloody machine guns or anything to take away the feeling of weakness. Lots of tropes but that's ok. I hope it's slow paced and builds tension properly like the classics.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Biohazard 7: Biohazard? Uh... Capcom...?

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
so it makes sense that they are trying to dig deep and revisit their roots and try to actually scare us again.

It doesn't need to be "scary" per se. It just needs less shootbang. Everything post 4 (and even 4) has been too action/gun-play focused. There's rarely been a sense of calm and "am I really safe?" in the games since. Even Biohazard 3 which, while more action focused of the classic formula still had moments where you either 1) didn't have enough ammo so you have to run past enemies or 2) had areas where you felt "safe" for the moment.
Like if you went to the Raccoon Newspaper HQ's instead of going for the train first, you fight zombies off or dodge them, get an item and then the Nemesis appears to make the situation which you had "under-control" even worse.

Beth Cyra

and I am out....

Happy it takes place after Six so likely there will be references.

However all First Person means I likely can't justify giving them my money as I loath games in first person.

Still I'll give the demo a shot and hopefully it turns out well and is beloved so the series keeps trying new things.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
I think this was a horror title developed for VR and Capcom decided to slap Resident Evil 7 name for it to sell. There's nothing resident evil about that trailer. Not the gameplay, style,first person view and the game look low budget and ugly.

LaNaranja

Where is my over the top third person action game?!?!?!? I want the sequel to this:

GIF2244e.gif

Save the Outlast shit for a spin off. I really hope it is just a misleading trailer. :(

Capcom have just shot themsel---I can't, I just can't do it GAF. This was a fucking beautiful, landmark reveal. I'm almost crying here.

It's rescuing two things in one fell swoop - Resident Evil and Silent Hills.

Shauni

Lol at all of these posts about this game going back to RE's roots. This reveal trailer didn't look a damn thing like any of the old school RE type of games. They're going back to Silent Hill's roots maybe. It may be good or bad, but this trailer definitely didn't callback to any of RE's history at all.

Blackage

Entire reason they're giving you a demo TONIGHT is to calm all of you down freaking out over the perspective shift, try it before you judge please. :eek:

I think this was a horror title developed for VR and Capcom decided to slap Resident Evil 7 name for it to sell. There's nothing resident evil about that trailer. Not the gameplay, style,first person view and the game look low budget and ugly.

Because we have seen the entire game from the 2 minutes of footage.

Well there it is.

But if it can keep up with previous games while still being in FP, that's fine with me. I would have liked over the shoulder, but a horrifying RE game makes me a little wet.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Where is my over the top third person action game?!?!?!? I want the sequel to this:

GIF2244e.gif

Save the Outlast shit for a spin off. I really hope it is just a misleading trailer. :(

I swear, it was only a few years ago that I kept hearing how they hated how RE had becomes this.

Lol at all of these posts about this game going back to RE's roots. This reveal trailer didn't look a damn thing like any of the old school RE type of games. They're going back to Silent Hill's roots maybe. It may be good or bad, but this trailer definitely didn't callback to any of RE's history at all.

Maybe the callback refers to intimate horror.

Top Bottom