• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

RevenWolf

I feel like I remember a lot of people calling for a Resident Evil reboot, now we get one and people are pissed. I don't get it.

Yeah it's really weird to me. For so long people screaming their throats raw wanting to go back to the slow horror of the originals.

They do this (seemingly) and everyone is pissed and (hilariously) claiming it shouldn't be called resident evil lol.

Shauni

I feel like I remember a lot of people calling for a Resident Evil reboot, now we get one and people are pissed. I don't get it.

Monkey Paw effect. I think people who wanted a reboot wanted more of a reboot to the older games. This is pretty radically different from those, at least with the way it was presented. How the final game will play, though, is up in the air.

Kagutaba

Looking at a stream of the demo right now and this doesn't look terribly interesting, scary nor fun. After failing badly to capture the magic of 4 a couple times Capcom had to do something different, but I didn't expect, well, a P.T. knockoff lol.

This demo just makes me miss the combination of tension, solid pacing, difficulty, scariness, and excellent gameplay that 4 had even more.

PT was legitimately terrifying (from the get go) and had an interesting story and great atmosphere, this is just dull so far.

Manu

Yeah it's really weird to me. For so long people screaming their throats raw wanting to go back to the slow horror of the originals.

They do this (seemingly) and everyone is pissed and (hilariously) claiming it shouldn't be called resident evil lol.

For some people "go back to the roots" actually meant "remake the same game we already played six times."

This isn't anything like the older Resident Evil games. I'm not sure how you could look at this and RE1-3 and think they look anything alike.

When you take over as the cameraman, the game allows you to wander freely regardless of what the dialog is doing. I saw one streamer start to nose around the side of the house, but always stopped after like 10 seconds and just went back in.

Is there a limit as to how much of that outside area you can wander in? Is there a secret entrance or something back there?

JTran2003

Completed it twice. Not long at all.
I did it two different ways, but both resulted in the same ending.

went around the house, got the bolt crops, opened the chest, used the video tape, as the other man went through the hidden door, went down the ladder, back to the first guy, followed same path, found key headed for door, ending.

started and went up stairs, didn't do that on the first go. Messed with the stairs button, went straight to fire place and opened the hidden door, found a fuse, put in fuse box, back upstairs to press button, up stairs, looked around, answered phone, end.

What is the
finger
for? I couldn't see a use for it.

Can't play the demo yet since in the US but about the
finger, can you put it on a dummy? Maybe it's part of a puzzle?

News Bot

Banned
The Family is an organization that is trying to control the world structure through controlled Biohazards. Simmons was part of them. His family wasn't a literal family, it was a codename for this Illuminati-esque group that was referenced multiple times in RE6

The Family is however led by the Simmons family. Derek is referred to as "Cousin S" in one of the two earlier plot "leaks." By the end of BIO6 the organization has forsaken him and quickly chosen a new leader. So it's probable that Derek is not even a mainline Simmons.

I doubt any traditional plot elements will be used in this game, though. It looks like a remake of Sweet Home and reboot of BIO1, at least from the plot synopsis (paranormal documentary crew investigating ghost sightings in remote mansion), but serving as an isolated incident in the long-running mythology. Certainly something is infecting people and part of the plot will be uncovering what that is, but there's evidently also a more personal plot.

I've been saying the series should go this exact route for ten years. I just never expected it to be first-person or in the horror style of Outlast, Amnesia and P.T. While I'm sure it'll be a good experience, I doubt it will be very impactful or have enough value to want to play again (like the aforementioned games).

so what the hell is this thing?

Well, if Resident Evil 1 was a weird (and not at all accurate) riff on what Romero was trying to do with his zombie films, it seems this is set on being a weird (and maybe slightly more accurate) riff on what Hooper did on Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Maybe?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Its like that Miyamoto /zelda pic

RE1 to 3 "Capcom is so lazy! They keep rehashing these resident evil games and refuse to change!! More like REhashing Evil!"

RE4 to 6 "fucking Capcom, these are not true RE games! Too much actions! Capcom please reboot it!"

RE7 "what the fuck why is it not similar to RE6?!"

Based purely on what I've seen thus far this isn't the crazy mind fuck P.T. was but it still looks really interesting. Resident Evil was getting stagnant and needed a radical shake up. The fact that they didn't go full reboot here has me even more interested because will they somehow incorporate stuff from previous games into this radical departure of a sequel? It'll be interesting to see.

Having said that, I think calling this game Resident Evil 7 will end up working against it because there's A LOT of baggage that comes with that name. Either way, we'll most likely be getting a both varieties of classic RE in the form RE2 remake and The Evil Within 2

Near the end of the final sizzle reel of the conference there was a FPS with zombie looking enemies leaping over piled up cars, being fired at with a handgun.

Was that some other game known/already out or was that our look at RE7 combat?

Soulflarz

Banned
Ck4tkHhVAAAMAZL.jpg

I still don't know how to make shapes like tulips or anything :< sorry gaf

Finished the JP demo. Loved it.

Felt like RE made in the style of PT. Can't wait to play a whole game like that.

Edit: Thought the tie-in to the overall RE story was clever too.

xviper

WOW, i cannot even describe how disappointing the demo is, i was hyped AF when i saw the e3 trailer, i expected it to be like P.T., it's nothing like P.T. and i thought there was going to be puzzles but i was proven wrong, and it's not even scary at all, maybe because the demo was very VERY short like 15min i don't know but i hope the full game surprises me, now i actually agree with the people who said this shouldn't have been called Resident evil 7

Many fans wanted RE to go back to its horror roots aka "Survival horror" not this full blown amnesia, PT knock off. Even though the demo is terrible I am gonna wait for the reviews to decide whether its a good first person horror or bad.

Neiteio

Here are my thoughts as an RE superfan that has liked everything in the series up to this point:

Based on the trailer, this looks like a poor man's PT (yes, despite the big budget). While a PT knockoff would be welcome under any other circumstance, in this case it just doesn't feel like... well, like Resident Evil.

Even with the two extremes of REmake and RE6, there was still some common thread that made them both recognizably "Resident Evil." Maybe it's the characters, or the soap opera drama, or the heightened reality of the world. But I don't see that common thread here... whatever this is. Not in the trailer, at least.

That's the thing: Some welcome this as a "return to horror," but old-school RE was never this sort of scary. It was also campy and cheesy. It also had heart. It was also inviting in its own way. This looks closer in spirit to Slender, to Amnesia, to PT than it does anything Resident Evil.

It's good to hear this is set after RE6, so it's not a reboot, and they're continuing the lore. But man, everything feels wrong from what I've seen so far. And I say that as someone who has been open-minded and able to embrace every radical change the series has had until this point.

Can't play the demo yet since in the US but about the
finger, can you put it on a dummy? Maybe it's part of a puzzle?

I'm looking at that now. One thing I did notice is,
you walk up the stairs after putting the fuse in, there are three dummies facing away to your left. Walk round the corner and look away, the three are now facing you and there is another between you and the stairs where you have just walked up.

Slaythe

I like people trying to pass legitimate criticism about the cliché and non inspired demo as "fans whining all the time, they're never happy".

This is virtually NOTHING like Resident Evil.

But it's also not very good and relatively boring. Nice.

I guess VR version can have merits.

Shauni

Based purely on what I've seen thus far this isn't the crazy mind fuck P.T. was but it still looks really interesting. Resident Evil was getting stagnant and needed a radical shake up. The fact that they didn't go full reboot here has me even more interested because will they somehow incorporate stuff from previous games into this radical departure of a sequel? It'll be interesting to see.

Having said that, I think calling this game Resident Evil 7 will end up working against it because there's A LOT of baggage that comes with that name. Either way, we'll most likely be getting a both varieties of classic RE in the form RE2 remake and The Evil Within 2

Revelations 3 will, probably, be more akin to the newer style of RE. I don't even know if Evil Within 2 is happening now. I thought it was a given, but it's been super silent about a sequel

Top Bottom