• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Slaythe

Here are my thoughts as an RE superfan that has liked everything in the series up to this point:

Based on the trailer, this looks like a poor man's PT (yes, despite the big budget). While a PT knockoff would be welcome under any other circumstance, in this case it just doesn't feel like... well, like Resident Evil.

Even with the two extremes of REmake and RE6, there was still some common thread that made them both recognizably "Resident Evil." Maybe it's the characters, or the soap opera drama, or the heightened reality of the world. But I don't see that common thread here... whatever this is. Not in the trailer, at least.

That's the thing: Some welcome this as a "return to horror," but old-school RE was never this sort of scary. It was also campy and cheesy. It also had heart. This looks closer in spirit to Slender, to Amnesia, to PT than it does anything Resident Evil.

It's good to hear this is set after RE6, so it's not a reboot, and they're continuing the lore. But man, everything feels wrong from what I've seen so far. And I say that as someone who has been open-minded and able to embrace every radical change the series has had until this point.

PT was smart and subtle, this is none of that.

Comments from an RE superfan that has liked everything in the series up to this point:

This looks like a poor man's PT (yes, despite the big budget). While a PT knockoff would be welcome under any other circumstance, in this case it just doesn't feel like... well, like Resident Evil.

Even with the two extremes of REmake and RE6, there was still some common thread that made them both recognizably "Resident Evil." Maybe it's the characters, or the soap opera drama, or the heightened reality of the world. But I don't see that common thread here... whatever this is. Not in the trailer, at least.

That's the thing: Some welcome this as a "return to horror," but old-school RE was never this sort of scary. It was also campy and cheesy. It also had heart. This looks closer in spirit to Slender, to Amnesia, to PT than it does anything Resident Evil.

It's good to hear this is set after RE6, so it's not a reboot, and they're continuing the lore. But man, everything feels wrong from what I've seen so far. And I say that as someone who has been open-minded and able to embrace every radical change the series has had until this point.

This should have been a side game. RE:VR. I don't know about the 7 title. I bet it will be shorter than 4. Will it have replay value now that it's not an action game? Will it be fun to speed run like the old games. There was always that element of skill, of rankings to these games. But games like PT and amnesia are nothing more than interactive stories, almost no gameplay depth. That's the scary part.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
788062a1df76c4bfbebe13461884bf15.png

Creepy.

Kinsei

Banned
I get the sinking feeling that they're waiting until 12AM Pacific to upload the demo in NA. I hope I'm wrong as that would be 4 AM here (and I'll stay up for it)

I just want to turn this into a coffee OT since we need it
oh well

I think I might have to drink Coffee for the first time ever to get through this E3 haha.

DNAbro

I'm really hoping that this turns out great. I have no attachment to Resident Evil so I don't mind the change of gameplay. Just give me good horror.

Does nothing for me, not scary or particularly interesting. This looks like something you will do when you have no clue how to evolve the franchise, they took a look at the marketplace and copy what people think is scary this days.

Could be a good or even a great game, who knows.

Xenthar

Can't believe it's still NOT up in US... they said it's up NOW 3 fucking hours ago, in an event happening in US. and i'm still refreshing the store like an idiot every 10 minutes or so.

Did you get out of the house or not die?

Got out of the house, there's probably a lot more to do in there (I didn't get the fuse), so when I get time I'll probably play around with it some more. It was short but it felt like an early RE game exploration sequence.

JTran2003

I'm looking at that now. One thing I did notice is,
you walk up the stairs after putting the fuse in, there are three dummies facing away to your left. Walk round the corner and look away, the three are now facing you and there is another between you and the stairs where you have just walked up.

I know there is also the dummy in the room with the phone and also a point when you leave through the back door a dummy gets thrown but it has no arms...

george_us

This is what happens when you tell Capcom Leon had the best campaign of RE6. They probably thought you meant the first 20 minutes where you prevent you from using 80% of the mechanics. It was Chris you fools!
This E3 does feel like "Completely Missing the Point: The Show" this year.

I don't understand why people would be excited they turned RE into a first person jump scare game for youtube streamers. I hated everything about this trailer. Even the graphics were ruined by the generic horror treatment.

Shauni

Did you get out of the house or not die?

This is the part that is confusing me. I see this "ending" being reference, but is there a way to not get that...? I'm also seeing people saying this whole thing is just a demo for mechanics, but I don't see point in even putting this vaguely story-esque stuff in if that's all it is. I've still yet to see anyone put context to the
Resident Evil ambassador program
that was mentioned, so maybe that was BS.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Here are my thoughts as an RE superfan that has liked everything in the series up to this point:

Based on the trailer, this looks like a poor man's PT (yes, despite the big budget). While a PT knockoff would be welcome under any other circumstance, in this case it just doesn't feel like... well, like Resident Evil.

That's the thing: Some welcome this as a "return to horror," but old-school RE was never this sort of scary. It was also campy and cheesy. It also had heart. It was also inviting in its own way. This looks closer in spirit to Slender, to Amnesia, to PT than it does anything Resident Evil.

^^^
This, so much.

Neiteio

What they've shown is really just Resident Evil in name only.

No skill-based gameplay that we can see.

No iconic characters (on the contrary, the few characters shown look generic as heck).

No compelling creature designs (enough with the creepy lil' Grunge girls already, Japan!)

No style, no humor, no levity; no soap opera drama; no super-heroics

The only things that are recognizably "RE" is the promise of a location that might have a Spencer Estate-like sense of intimacy... and a shotgun

Shauni

Got out of the house, there's probably a lot more to do in there (I didn't get the fuse), so when I get time I'll probably play around with it some more. It was short but it felt like an early RE game exploration sequence.

What happened when you got out of the house?

Soulflarz

Banned
Soulflarz
Owns a magic bullet

I don't even know what a magic bullet does, I'm guessing something healthy like smoothies, google says so.

and besides, a mod already told me my tag when he returns is going to be 'Member-kun' >_>

more importantly can we get back to talking about how metropolis coffee™ is the best brand to help you survive your RE7 demo wait

Demo is ok. Not seeing how it is in any way going back to the roots of the series but the options make it seem like there will be combat in the full thing. I dunno, hope they talk more about it soon so I can get a better idea of what the full thing will be.

DOWN

Banned
How the heck did they screw up announcing this demo at a conference in their biggest market and somehow only not release this demo in their biggest market?

What they've shown is really just Resident Evil in name only.

No skill-based gameplay that we can see.

No iconic characters (on the contrary, the few characters shown look generic as heck).

No compelling creature designs (enough with the creepy lil' Grunge girls already, Japan!)

No style, no humor, no levity; no soap opera drama; no super-heroics

The only things that are recognizably "RE" is the promise of a location that might have a Spencer Estate-like sense of intimacy... and a shotgun

Yup. Kind of scary. Not as in the game is scary as in wtf is capcom doing.

Again we know nothing. This demo isn't even part of the game.

I'm afraid that VR mode is a PS exclusive. I would be pissed.

Can't believe it's still NOT up in US... they said it's up NOW 3 fucking hours ago, in an event happening in US. and i'm still refreshing the store like an idiot every 10 minutes or so.
Ok so it's not just me. Guess I'll hit the sack, drag through work tomorrow and try again tomorrow NIGHT when I finally manage to pry myself from the office.

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Fuck.

Top Bottom