• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Twig

Banned
speedpop said:
So the devs can find that one person who will take a stupid offense to it and ridicule them within their offices.
It's not my fault they falsely represent their own game with images of falsedwarves!

Tell them to be more professional if they don't want people upset! It's a fucking disgrace.

BrettWeir

While the servers are down....

E8500
4 Gig DDR2
ATI 4850 1 gig
Win 7 64bit

MihU5.jpg

8T9r6.jpg

4PPZb.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Any chance I could get an invite to the GAF guild?

PM myself (Elvirnith) or Maxrgp (Ashodin) in-game to get an invite. I won't be on till 11 pm EST tonight and tomorrow though so may be past your bed time :p

Shanadeus

Banned
8kkFd.jpg

Me meeting a Defiant resurrection technician.
He racially discriminated me.

oWgKt.jpg

Me sporting a pair of fancy red wings.

ZFyQy.jpg

Then I ran for my life.

44s5y.jpg

Air rifts look so much better in motion.

HSItr.jpg

The gang chilling out in the dwarf dungeon.

CchQS.jpg

Goodbye scarlet gorge!

RKZNd.jpg

I'll miss your chainmail bikinis and majestic waterfalls.

LVV4Z.jpg

And dutch architecture.

MN7Up.jpg

Take me away!

nsjaK.jpg

This made me once again realize how original the Eths are as an MMO race.

2te8i.jpg

For some reason my clothes were scorched black by the burning sun.

0qLaP.jpg

Looking for a new dungeon in an oversized hobbit den.

DckHR.jpg

Me after being told that I will travel to the future o_O

XAU8u.jpg

Jumping in!

dNpWp.jpg

... so I'm flushed into the future via a time bending sewage system?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh my God, this game is so good.

Guess I'll enjoy my last
(no way)
raiding week in WoW before the head-start.

1stStrike

Banned
Heh, did you actually go through the well? If you swim all the way down you go into a lvl 40+ instance. They mention it on the official website. It's supposed to be incredibly epic giving you an idea of who will betray you later on in the story.

Also, as of right now - saboteur pro tips from a lvl 41:

1. Remove your daggers and just have your bow equipped. Your bow will almost always have higher DPS then your daggers and if you have a melee weapon equipped it'll use the lower DPS of that instead of your bow.

2. Poisons significantly boost your DPS, so you should automatically have 18 points in the assassin tree for maximum DPS (I crit for over 2500 last night on two people with annihilation bomb and got a double kill).

3. Your 3rd soul for pvp should either be riftstalker for the +15% atk or infiltrator for the 0 point ability you get to remove mezzes/stuns/roots/etc.

I pretty much 1 shot squishies in PvP and putt a massive hurting on other people.

markot

Banned
Hmm.

I dunno. Its all done wellish, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it feels much too muchly like wow >.<

So if you are getting sick of wow, I think this game... well, it just feels so much like wow that you are already getting sick of it >.>

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
markot said:
Hmm.

I dunno. Its all done wellish, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it feels much too muchly like wow >.<

So if you are getting sick of wow, I think this game... well, it just feels so much like wow that you are already getting sick of it >.>
I got a little tired of WoW and it was simply because I had been playing the game on and off for 6 years. I'm excited about Rift because, while it feels familiar in gameplay, there are new areas to see and explore, new dynamics to fiddle around with, etc. Unlike WoW expansions where it's all a new sheen of coat in the same paint, with Rift you're painting the same house but in a vividly different colour.

Sebulon3k said:
Every single game I play the bard is always awesome
I saw a Dwarf Bard rocking it in a random rift and it looked so god damn cool. I think I'll adopt a bit of it after I roll a Cleric.

1stStrike

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Every single game I play the bard is always awesome

My tank build utilizes a bit of the bard for the gigantic HP buff. I have over 5k HP at lvl 41 as a rogue fully buffed in tank mode and I can mitigate over 50% of all incoming damage throughout the entire fight (with the ability to mitigate an additional 30% for 8 seconds) ^_^

BrettWeir

1stStrike said:
Heh, did you actually go through the well? If you swim all the way down you go into a lvl 40+ instance. They mention it on the official website. It's supposed to be incredibly epic giving you an idea of who will betray you later on in the story.

Also, as of right now - saboteur pro tips from a lvl 41:

1. Remove your daggers and just have your bow equipped. Your bow will almost always have higher DPS then your daggers and if you have a melee weapon equipped it'll use the lower DPS of that instead of your bow.

2. Poisons significantly boost your DPS, so you should automatically have 18 points in the assassin tree for maximum DPS (I crit for over 2500 last night on two people with annihilation bomb and got a double kill).

3. Your 3rd soul for pvp should either be riftstalker for the +15% atk or infiltrator for the 0 point ability you get to remove mezzes/stuns/roots/etc.

I pretty much 1 shot squishies in PvP and putt a massive hurting on other people.

Very helpful. Didn't think having a bow equipped would make a difference. Been running around with melee weapons. And my mind is blown with the info about poisons. Never would have thought that would help a Sab. Thanks!

**Edit....Where are you putting 18 in the assassin tree?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
markot said:
Hmm.

I speak for myself and surely a bunch of others when I say that while I'm a bit tired of WoW, I still love it. The gameplay is awesome, and it's systems are great. The thing is: after years in the same game, the world stops being as huge as it was the first time you entered it.

What I want right now - and Rift seems to fulfil that wish - is a different world to explore and discover. I want to find new views, I want to go into a new area without knowing in advance exactly what I'm going to be facing.

And, above all the rest, I want to take a break from fucking min-maxing and just have some fun without worrying about performance and GP and everything else.

1stStrike

Banned
BrettWeir said:
Very helpful. Didn't think having a bow equipped would make a difference. Been running around with melee weapons. And my mind is blown with the info about poisons. Never would have thought that would help a Sab. Thanks!

Yeah, that was a recent change - making the sabs charges a poison as people were complaining about charges not being purgable. Now they can purge your charges, but you can also massively boost your DPS with the assassin tree... heh. I laughed so hard last night when I one shotted those two guardians and they both just dropped on the ground dead.

I'm going up to the +15% poison damage and stopping. The skill that gives 100% damage to poison coated weapons for 15 seconds works on sabo skills too. it's a nice bonus.

I'll give an exact break down later, but remember I'm lvl 41 so I have a few more points. :)

Ashodin

1stStrike said:
Yeah, that was a recent change - making the sabs charges a poison as people were complaining about charges not being purgable. Now they can purge your charges, but you can also massively boost your DPS with the assassin tree... heh. I laughed so hard last night when I one shotted those two guardians and they both just dropped on the ground dead.

I'm going up to the +15% poison damage and stopping. The skill that gives 100% damage to poison coated weapons for 15 seconds works on sabo skills too. it's a nice bonus.

I'll give an exact break down later, but remember I'm lvl 41 so I have a few more points. :)
I also agree with the other guildies, you are totally going to be a Sabo in head start.

1stStrike

Banned
Maxrpg said:
I also agree with the other guildies, you are totally going to be a Sabo in head start.

lol for my 3rd soul, but not right away. Pure assassin is better for soloing, and then going tank will get me groups for IT and such - sabo is just my PvP/endgame class. But, yes, I will have a pretty amazing sabo :D

Lebron

speedpop said:
I saw a Dwarf Bard rocking it in a random rift and it looked so god damn cool. I think I'll adopt a bit of it after I roll a Cleric.
Indeed it is. Feels good rocking the support and also out DPS'in mostly everyone.

1stStrike

Banned
Hat:

2011-2-19_231722.jpg

Also, I can't get over how bad defiants are at PvP man. I just finished a 12 match spree and in that time we won...... 1 match. I know I'm whining but damn, I can't wait for live and guild groups so that we can have organized shit going on.

markot

Banned
Brazil said:
I speak for myself and surely a bunch of others when I say that while I'm a bit tired of WoW, I still love it. The gameplay is awesome, and it's systems are great. The thing is: after years in the same game, the world stops being as huge as it was the first time you entered it.

What I want right now - and Rift seems to fulfil that wish - is a different world to explore and discover. I want to find new views, I want to go into a new area without knowing in advance exactly what I'm going to be facing.

And, above all the rest, I want to take a break from fucking min-maxing and just have some fun without worrying about performance and GP and everything else.
The problem is, its layout, the whole flow of the game is just like wow.... to me you pretty much do know whats coming ahead. And its quests are allllllllll the same stuff we have been doing since vanilla wow, there is no experimentation, nothing new, its 'go kill/find/collect ______ plzzzz then come back or go to the next questing area its called a breadcrumb lol!' There has been nothing really new at all, its all just..... the same. Throw in some PQ from Warhammer, some more complex talent trees and your pretty much playing wow some more. But if I want wow... I have wow. >_< dont want to turn this into a 'wow is great lol' thread or anything. Just that imo, its similarities with wow make it... well, pointless.

And im besaddended by the fact that it seems like everyone is still stuck on wows ass. SWTOR looks just like wow pretty much, except its voiced! Which is absolutely not what the mmo genre needs to move forward and not stagnate >_> feh.

As for the 'same house new paint' thingy... Id rather get a new house, have major renovations, then be stuck in the same house for 1000000 years because everyone likes one particular house style. Its like those desgusting suburbs where allllllllllllll the houses are exactly the same, even the same colour. I want some varity in mmos, I mean... even looking at it from the devs point of view, unless they can outdo wows gameplay, balance, classes, quests, pve progression, which is going to be hard given its blizzard and 6+ years of content and learnin, then why would someone sub to this over wow for a long period of time? Its like subscribing to 2 different music streaming thingys, that give you exactly the same options and songs. But with a different website to visit.

Oh, and im not some wowfanboy or anything >.> ive probably spent more time complaining about that game then playing it...

Ashodin

markot said:
My long post
I think what you're missing is that Rift is a breath of fresh air in an otherwise crowded room. There are similarities, yes, but Rift is more an evolution of the current state instead of a revolution.

The fact that it's a tightly-packed experience that delivers is why the betas for it have been swamped to high hell with players, even in closed beta.

People like me yearn for similar gameplay, but a unique experience. The Rifts bring that. They've shown that their raid dungeons will have dynamic content in it that will change the way we dive into them.

There is room here with what they are offering.

Weenerz

Banned
Just made a bard and holy fuck am I in love. Such a strong class. I'll capture some video tomorrow for people that care to see it.

LordAlu

AceBandage said:
Nah, it's the low level alternate Guardian mount.
Horses suck.
:p

Also, where are Death Rifts? I'm trying to get my bard soul, but all the rifts in Silverwood are Life and Fire.
There aren't any in Silverwood. You'll have to move on to the next zone (Gloamwood?) to get Death Rifts.

1stStrike

Banned
Weenerz said:
Just made a bard and holy fuck am I in love. Such a strong class. I'll capture some video tomorrow for people that care to see it.

If you want to be simultaneously loved (and hated) by the enemy team make a bard/riftstalker/ranger combo and go do PvP. I was healing the shit out of my entire team in the few matches I played tonight as a bard and was damn near unkillable. I had some big ass warrior beating on me for a good minute or two before he was killed off by my team. I was out healing all his DPS easy.

Bards are pretty broken right now IMO. Super hard to kill and can heal eternally without the restrictions that come with MP as energy constantly regens.

I did Runic Descent as well. Me and another bard were healing and we had no problems getting through it. The area is really gorgeous looking and it was a lot of fun. Definitely can't wait to do the rest once live starts.

I created a BETA account, but it says im not eligible for the beta, yet on the main page it has a link to download it.

So...will it work if I download it? I dont want to waste the bandwidth for nothing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Had the massive Life invasion in Silverwood earlier tonight. There was a few of us that came up across the big bad guy in the middle of the zone and he kept drilling us, so I parted off and went to help defend the main hub area in Argent Glade. Must've been healing non-stop for the better part of an hour, it was insanity, and the amount of planarite you get from it is incredible. I went up 2 levels and got 400+ planarite. I knew the invasions would be huge, but that was beyond measure.

MattPeters said:
I created a BETA account, but it says im not eligible for the beta, yet on the main page it has a link to download it.

So...will it work if I download it? I dont want to waste the bandwidth for nothing.
It will still work, but the beta goes down in a couple of days.

Open beta has really impressed me. The past betas my performance was horrible and I ran into a lot of bugged mobs. They seem to have fixed both and I am having a lot of fun with the game so I just pre-ordered.

Somnia

*sigh* My headset/mic died on me. Guess I could play with no sound, but I plan on getting a new set tomorrow either way. I think I may just stop playing till headstart so I don't get burnt out this week. So fucking excited for this launch. I played UO for 5 years, EQ1 for 6 years and off and on with WoW and other mmo's, but haven't truly dedicated myself to an mmo since EQ1, but I'm getting that feeling in this game that I had in EQ1. Hype! =)

1stStrike

Banned
Einbroch said:
HOLY SHIT THE HEADSTART LAUNCHES THE DAY MY GIRLFRIEND GOES OUT OF TOWN FOR 4 DAYS.

It's a sign. It's gotta be a sign.

lol nice. I'm off thursday/friday, but I have to work saturday and sunday so I'll probably fall a bit behind during that time.

@Somnia: I haven't played an MMO in over a year, so I think that's what I really needed - a break (and a non-Korean MMO). I'm pretty into this game and can't wait to lvl up to 50. I've got my eye on that PvP gear and want a full set so I can be all pimped out :>

Somnia

1stStrike said:
lol nice. I'm off thursday/friday, but I have to work saturday and sunday so I'll probably fall a bit behind during that time.

@Somnia: I haven't played an MMO in over a year, so I think that's what I really needed - a break (and a non-Korean MMO). I'm pretty into this game and can't wait to lvl up to 50. I've got my eye on that PvP gear and want a full set so I can be all pimped out :>

We haven't seen what the raid gear will be like either =)

1stStrike

Banned
Rapstah said:
Are you playing the beta or something currently? I'm very confused by the dates in the OP.

It's pretty easy.

1. Yes we're playing open beta. Visiting the riftgame.com website would easily show you that with the big BETA button.

2. 24th = Head start for people that have pre-ordered. We get to play the official game several days before it's released in stores.

3. March 1st = Game goes "live" and boxed editions will be out.

LowParry

I'm probably going to go the route of MM/Ranger to start off. Later down the line I may mix it up with keeping it with MM as my main for PvE and switch off to PvP with a melee type like Assassin or something.

vilmer_

I've been playing the beta, it's a solid game but it runs like absolute crap for me on a gtx460 :( I have to play on low settings to get a fluid 30+ fps.

1stStrike

Banned
vilmer_ said:
I've been playing the beta, it's a solid game but it runs like absolute crap for me on a gtx460 :( I have to play on low settings to get a fluid 30+ fps.

I have a GTX 460 overclocked and it runs at about 30 - 35 FPS for me on 1920x1080 with edge (AA is really not that great in the game and I prefer the look of edge over AA). Note that the beta client is going to run lower on FPS then the final client since there's debugging tools and the like running in the background.

Top Bottom