• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Scum

I've haven't been on WoW for ages and I've been pissing around on Aion for far too long. I'm thinking of pre-ordering. What can I expect? And is there a EU GAF Guild about?

Lebron

This Rogue in our guild is a "Tank" as he puts it. Riftstalker/Ranger/Bladedancer. However, every time we group up with a few others(mages/clerics) and go out, this dude is hanging back there with me spamming arrows. I'm like, "....." We normally don't have a warrior with us so the mind boggles. My boar does most of it since his boar always dies because he never heals it. I swear lol

What can I expect?
Addiction. I like that you don't have to invest a lot of time into it before you're drowning in skills and raids. Hell, before you hit 15, you'll probably have done more raiding events and have more skills than you would in the other MMOs out there at the same level. I really hate having to invest a lot of time into something to really get to the good stuff. Sort of reminds me how they're handling GW2 too, getting involved early on and what not.

Quagm1r3

Does the progress you make during the beta carry over to when early access starts for people who have pre-ordered this game?

Broadbandito said:
reasons why? i am interested in hearing your points.

In WoW (at least for the majority of the time). There were really just two things to do.
Quest and Dungeons.

In Rift still has these, but adds in the Rifts and Invasions as well. Both of which add a great deal to the community and the feeling of a living world.

In WoW, you'd be out and see some people, maybe on the same quests, but that would be about it.

In Rift, you'll be out, and suddenly the entire area goes dark, the battle horns sound, and you'll be in the middle of a giant clusterfuck of 40 players taking on an army of undead or goblins or something and instantly just join in.

There's also the class system. In WoW, there was really only one way to play each spec to get anything out of it.

In Rift, you can pretty much do whatever you want. There could be a thousand Necromancers in the game, but they'd each have their own abilities to use and their own play style. And they'd all be viable.

Though, if there's one thing that I can fault Rift for, it's the awful voice acting. Some of it sounds like the programmers just goofing around.

I will say, though, that I don't hate WoW at all. I enjoyed the 6 years I put into it, but Blizzard has been grinding away many of the things I originally liked about the game, so I think it's time for a break at least.

Quagm1r3 said:
Does the progress you make during the beta carry over to when early access starts for people who have pre-ordered this game?

Sadly, no. You have to download the retail client and everything is started over.

Quagm1r3

AceBandage said:
Sadly, no. You have to download the retail client and everything is started over.

In that case I'm going on a Rift hiatus until early access. I find that I lose interest in MMOs before I get to end game content much too often.

Scum

Lebron said:
Addiction. I like that you don't have to invest a lot of time into it before you're drowning in skills and raids. Hell, before you hit 15, you'll probably have done more raiding events and have more skills than you would in the other MMOs out there at the same level. I really hate having to invest a lot of time into something to really get to the good stuff. Sort of reminds me how they're handling GW2 too, getting involved early on and what not.
Excellent! GW2 is pretty much what I'm waiting for. Sounds like this one's fun. Any class recommendations? I tend to play plate wearers every time I start a new MMO. :lol

Scum said:
Excellent! GW2 is pretty much what I'm waiting for. Sounds like this one's fun. Any class recommendations? I tend to play plate wearers every time I start a new MMO. :lol

You'll probably want a Warrior, then.
They can do everything but heal, I believe.

The game actually isn't too taxing.
It runs a bit slower than WoW when I have all my add ons enabled, which is fine, since Rift already includes a lot of those in the main interface.
But it does have a lot of beautiful scenery.

TheExodu5

Banned
AceBandage said:
The game actually isn't too taxing.
It runs a bit slower than WoW when I have all my add ons enabled, which is fine, since Rift already includes a lot of those in the main interface.
But it does have a lot of beautiful scenery.

Maxed out, with one GTX 570 and Supersampling, the game runs at around 20fps on average. Supersampling cuts the framerate in half.

With 2x GTX 570 and supersampling off though, I only drop below 60fps in heavy rift events.

On a single 6850, I get about 30 FPS in Rifts with everything maxed and SS on.
I think that the shadow levels play a bigger role though.
Damned resource hogs.

Swag

I hope someone comes out with Damage / HPS meters soon, I have no way of knowing how I'm doing compared to other people :/

nataku

I hope they do something about their object view distance eventually. I can't standing seeing so many trees and boulders just... dither in. Such a weird fade in effect they use.

Sebulon3k said:
I hope someone comes out with Damage / HPS meters soon, I have no way of knowing how I'm doing compared to other people :/

Trion said they are against such mods and I agree with them. Recount ruins parties in WoW all the time from elist pricks.

Projectjustice said:
Trion said they are against such mods and I agree with them. Recount ruins parties in WoW all the time from elist pricks.

DPS meters are both a blessing and a curse.
They let you know if your rotation can be improved or not, but they also make it so DPS are so focused on padding meters that they don't pay attention.
Personally, I can go either way.

AceBandage said:
DPS meters are both a blessing and a curse.
They let you know if your rotation can be improved or not, but they also make it so DPS are so focused on padding meters that they don't pay attention.
Personally, I can go either way.

Doesnt matter to me as long as the party is successful in finishing an instance.

Swag

Projectjustice said:
Doesnt matter to me as long as the party is successful in finishing an instance.

I don't understand how they plan on people improving in Raid instances and such without being able to find out what's working and not working in their rotation, I was dpsing as a shaman earlier and I had no idea how I was doing compared to the rogue counterparts in my group.

Kinda lol that I won't be able to tell what changes in my talent tree are doing to my output

knitoe

Rifts are cool concept, but it happens way too often becoming overplay, annoying and /ignore. Trion should lessen it to few times a day.

knitoe said:
Rifts are cool concept, but it happens way too often becoming overplay, annoying and /ignore. Trion should lessen it to few times a day.

Rifts appear based on the amount of people in a Zone.
They're never more than a zone can handle and only become a problem when people are being lazy (which doesn't last long since they can't quest is the rift takes over a town).

1stStrike

Banned
For those that are crazy about their exact damage I'm pretty sure there's already parsers out there. If not, there will be after release anyway. Personally, I've never cared that much so long as I can kill shit and I've always done a pretty good job at finding a strong build.

nataku

External combat parsers already exist. I think Rift Junkies has one that runs in the background as you play. Rift itself already has some sort of combat logging feature that writes your combat log to a text file.

Personally, I'd rather they just put an actual meter in the game instead of making people use an external program. People glancing to a meter on their UI to check their DPS >>>>> people alt-tabbing to check.

EDarkness

If they had a Mac version of this game I would have picked it up the day it was released, but I'm tired of dual booting, so things are going to have to be Mac native for me to really jump into them full-time. I did play in the beta, though, and it was pretty interesting. Not a big fan of the animation, however.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm liking being a healer. There are honestly so few healers out there, that I feel really damned valuable. Played some PvP, where 2 of us on the team were healing, vs only one on the enemy team. We absolutely crushed them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I pre-ordered and am ready to go for the early start.

I'm still not decided on what archetype I'll play. I tried a bunch of different characters, but I never leveled on higher than 16 (I didn't want to spoil myself for the mid-game content). Right now I'm leaning towards a Cleric (Justicar/Sentinel/Warden), but I am also kind of interested in the Nightblade/Ranger/Bard combo for Rogues. I'll probably play both, as well as some sort of caster until I decide on which I'll play to max level first.

Oh, also, it's a minor thing, but the title of this thread is wrong. The "Planes of Telara" part is no longer in the title.

Hawk269

TheExodu5 said:
Maxed out, with one GTX 570 and Supersampling, the game runs at around 20fps on average. Supersampling cuts the framerate in half.

With 2x GTX 570 and supersampling off though, I only drop below 60fps in heavy rift events.

I have everything maxed out, with Supersampling on with a 580 and I get around 47fps most of the time, I drop to about 25-28fps during a heavy rift with a ton of players. Seems to be pretty nice, but would like a rock solid 60fps, which I can most of the time if I turn off supersampling and turn shadows to enviroment only. It just looks so much better with full shadows and super sampling. Here is hoping that some driver updates and some more tweaking by Trion will give me even more performance.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I found I got much better performance setting the graphics to ultra then the default.
It seems to detect what kind of setup you have and set the graphics accordingly, even if that means past ultra where there is very little improvement in the way it looks.

Hawk269

I did the pre-order at Gamestop for the collectors edition. So how does the "Early Start" work since the physical copy wont be in my hands until the 1st? I am in the beta right now and have been messing around with it...so when the early start goes into effect, how will this work if I donnt get my hands on the actual game until March 1st?

Hawk269 said:
I did the pre-order at Gamestop for the collectors edition. So how does the "Early Start" work since the physical copy wont be in my hands until the 1st? I am in the beta right now and have been messing around with it...so when the early start goes into effect, how will this work if I donnt get my hands on the actual game until March 1st?
Did you get a code or something to input on your account? You should be able to download the clinet with that.

Ferny

Messing around with the healer class some more, I think im going healer starting out in the game. I may change it up after the head start, but for now I think i'll bring a healer to the Lotus Cross guild :)

Ashodin

Some pictures of the last night of beta!

2011-2-21_1719mm3i.jpg

2011-2-21_02824amql.jpg

2011-2-21_02832vmit.jpg

Check out the Lava Pool!
2011-2-21_1731mlg.jpg

At the end of Stonefield there's this giant door and wall. Ominous.

1stStrike

Banned
Hawk269 said:

It's simple - you get the code, enter it in your Trion account, then you download the release client and play. Once the 1st comes and you get your box in the mail you enter the code from that and then you're good to go.

Nyx

AceBandage said:
Except a lot more fun than in WoW.
I abhorred leveling in WoW, but I'm having a blast in Rift.

I played the open beta till lvl 9, and am wondering why you think levelling in Rift is more fun than in WoW ?

As to me it's exactly the same, minus the cool stories Blizzard made up for quests.

I guess I'm just done with the way MMO's play atm.

markot

Banned
Srsly.... the leveling is almost identical... its like saying 'I cant stand chocolate, but I love cocoa based confectioneries with lots of milk and sugar!' >.>

etiolate

Banned
The only difference in leveling is the Rifts which keep the world alive and offer a distraction from quests. I sort of stopped doing the betas once I couldn't get continuous rift hunting groups. Some people complain about the amount of Rifts, but I would rather have those than be stuck questing as Trion's quest design is nothing new. I also have more time to use all my various skills in a big Rift encounter, so that part of the game utilizes the gameplay better as well.

Nyx said:
I played the open beta till lvl 9, and am wondering why you think levelling in Rift is more fun than in WoW ?

As to me it's exactly the same, minus the cool stories Blizzard made up for quests.

I guess I'm just done with the way MMO's play atm.

I already made a long post about half a page up.

Ricker

1stStrike said:
It's simple - you get the code, enter it in your Trion account, then you download the release client and play. Once the 1st comes and you get your box in the mail you enter the code from that and then you're good to go.

If you already played some beta`s though,I think you don`t even need to re download the game,they will let you play the head start with the patched beta you are using now let`s say but come the first of March,you need to delete that client and install with the disk version and apply the key(no grace period by the way,no key,no play,even if you where in the headstart)... I could be wrong though.

Ashodin

Ricker said:
If you already played some beta`s though,I think you don`t even need to re download the game,they will let you play the head start with the patched beta you are using now let`s say but come the first of March,you need to delete that client and install with the disk version and apply the key(no grace period by the way,no key,no play,even if you where in the headstart)... I could be wrong though.
The release client is entirely different, because it won't have debug tools all loaded into it. It's not a big issue though, just a little wait time before the real fun begins. :)

Top Bottom