• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Somnia

Hey 1st, I made a post on the guild board. Let me know what you think either there or through PM. I've been glancing over souls in that field and dominator looks interesting.

In case you missed the last exciting announcement - We're restarting the servers in 5.714 minutes. No patch, no update. Just a server tweak. We'll try to make quick 'n painless.

Heh.

Seriously- WE'RE BROADCASTING ABOUT THE SERVER OUTAGE! Quick server restart in TWO MINUTES! No patch, no update. (Please make sure your pets, selves, and children are properly fed. Trion cares)

I love these guys.

Somnia

Einbroch said:
Turn off AA if it's not already off, it's a HUGE framerate improvement.

I have Edge on and all shadows off as theres no need for them imo. I run the game typically in the 50-60fps range and then 40-50 range in large raids/rifts with everything else maxxed. I'm running an i5-2500 @ 3.6ghz, 9gb ram and a 6970.

I am thinking about pre-ordering the Physical CE from Amazon. Does anyone know if Head Start applies to retail copies or is it only the digital downloads from Trion?

nataku

Big Papa Husker said:
I am thinking about pre-ordering the Physical CE from Amazon. Does anyone know if Head Start applies to retail copies or is it only the digital downloads from Trion?

All pre-orders get the head start, physical and DD.

Direct2Drive has a code for 20% that ends Tuesday, so you could get the digital CE for $47 if you can live without the physical copy. I canceled my Amazon pre-order and got it from D2D. $30 less than what I would pay at Amazon was an easy decision.

nataku said:
All pre-orders get the head start, physical and DD.

Direct2Drive has a code for 20% that ends Tuesday, so you could get the digital CE for $47 if you can live without the physical copy. I canceled my Amazon pre-order and got it from D2D. $30 less than what I would pay at Amazon was an easy decision.

I am probably going to get the physical CE because I'm a sucker for the extra crap. :p So when does Amazon send you your key for Head Start, when you order?

nataku

I'm not sure... I'd assume so. When I ordered from them things were really delayed and it took 3 days to get my code. That was when Trion was having issues distributing codes to retailers though.

So once you choose a soul is it there forever? or is there anyway to get a new soul instead (at an early level). I want to try bard on my 15 ranger/marksman

jersoc

Big Papa Husker said:
I am probably going to get the physical CE because I'm a sucker for the extra crap. :p So when does Amazon send you your key for Head Start, when you order?

they should. i didn't get an email, but a quick message to their CS and I had it within a few hours.

arts&crafts said:
So once you choose a soul is it there forever? or is there anyway to get a new soul instead (at an early level). I want to try bard on my 15 ranger/marksman

around that level you can start a quest for the rest of the souls. So far it's pretty easy, just finish a rift and you get the item you need. use it and it summons a dude you have to kill. pretty easy. You do have to buy slots, I believe, for the souls.

Lebron

arts&crafts said:
You can do soul quest once you hit level 13 to get new ones. Once you get it, you have it forever. Just buy a new slot from the Rogue trainer to add said souls into, which you can interchange between outside of combat. You also don't have to worry about SP, since it'll add whatever number you have into the new slot to level your souls up with.

rift%202011-02-20%2014-23-45-62.bmp

See this?
This is bad.

Lebron said:
You can do soul quest once you hit level 13 to get new ones. Once you get it, you have it forever. Just buy a new slot from the Rogue trainer to add said souls into, which you can interchange between outside of combat. You also don't have to worry about SP, since it'll add whatever number you have into the new slot to level your souls up with.

I see, I will try to find this "soul quest" you speak of

Lebron

arts&crafts said:
I see, I will try to find this "soul quest" you speak of
They're in the Sanctum area. I think the first one you get is from the dude in the front of the castle.

Edit: Well, that's if you rolled Guardian :p

Weenerz

Banned
Silly question, but is there quick travel between quest hub/towns? I'm so far away from the Ark and I need to train.

LordAlu

Weenerz said:
Silly question, but is there quick travel between quest hub/towns? I'm so far away from the Ark and I need to train.
There's the porticulum system between major towns/cities, but you need to have been to that place and found the porticulum master (similar to flight points in WoW).

Weenerz

Banned
LordAlu said:
There's the porticulum system between major towns/cities, but you need to have been to that place and found the porticulum master (similar to flight points in WoW).

Thanks, also last dumb question from me, the TF2 hat, how do I get it if I preordered from Steam? I have the other CE items, but no sexy hat.

Lebron said:
They're in the Sanctum area. I think the first one you get is from the dude in the front of the castle.

Edit: Well, that's if you rolled Guardian :p

yea I am guardian, I haven't been to the sanctum yet, I will make my way over.

vesp

Can anyone give me the gist of pvp server world pvp? Are zones set up so that its easy to "invade" the other factions leveling areas and such? Warhammer gated things so hard that it made the pvp servers rather pointless.

Is there any penalty to dying in pvp? Are pvp points used for anything other than the 1 pvp soul purchase and gear?

LordAlu

Weenerz said:
Thanks, also last dumb question from me, the TF2 hat, how do I get it if I preordered from Steam? I have the other CE items, but no sexy hat.
I don't know about that as I haven't pre-ordered digitally :(

Rapstah

I might actually buy this and play with you guys in that GAF guild if it is region free like I heard. I'm liking the sound of the class system.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So how would a Bard/Ranger combo do for pure PvE solo? I'm trying to figure out the best build for that that would also be the most fun. I'm assuming MM/Ranger would be a good choice as well. Right now I'm trying a Beastmaster/Champion/Riftblade, which so far has proved to be very effective. I kill things uber fast and unless I get 3 mobs on me at once, I come out pretty good.

Diseased Yak said:
So how would a Bard/Ranger combo do for pure PvE solo? I'm trying to figure out the best build for that that would also be the most fun. I'm assuming MM/Ranger would be a good choice as well. Right now I'm trying a Beastmaster/Champion/Riftblade, which so far has proved to be very effective. I kill things uber fast and unless I get 3 mobs on me at once, I come out pretty good.

Bard/Ranger basically means you can pull continuously and still kill things fairly quickly.

J-Rzez

AceBandage said:
IMG

See this?
This is bad.

I wonder how they're going to handle down the road when people are at end game and many players already have a main-alt? I mean, there won't be nearly as many people around to thwart these invasions.

J-Rzez said:
I wonder how they're going to handle down the road when people are at end game and many players already have a main-alt? I mean, there won't be nearly as many people around to thwart these invasions.

Well, you can still get Planarite from any level rifts, so hopefully people will be farming them.
Dunno, though.

1stStrike

Banned
J-Rzez said:

The invasions scale automatically with the number of people in an area/zone. So, if you have 500 people in Freemarch then you'll get some raid events going on. If you have 50 people in Freemarch then only smaller rifts will open. They've been working on balancing this out during beta and it seems to be pretty good right now. The lvl 40 areas don't have many people yet and while they had rifts it was never overwhelming. On the flip side, Freemarch and the lvl 20 - 30 areas were full of raid rifts.

nataku

They also have items in the game that let you summon a group NPCs to aid you, so a solo player should be able to clear out whatever small force is left when a zone is nearly empty. Though I'm not sure how you get them. I seem to remember me getting some from rifts in past betas.

Maybe they merged them into the ascended powers system. I'll have to look.

EDIT: Ok, they did.

• Planar Lure (earned from low level quest) – You use this ability near any tears to start a rift event. Tears appear on the map as “tears”, not Rifts. You cannot use this ability unless you are near a tear. This costs no planar charge.

• Guardian’s Flare (buy in Sanctum/Meridian for 50 planarite) – You can purchase this for a mere 50 planarite. This summons a group of NPCs to attack a Planar Idol (Burning Idol, etc). These NPCs seem to last a long time and about 5 come to attack the idol. For tougher idols, you should use this over Holy Champion. Uses 1 planar charge. Note: Known as Defiant’s Flare for the Defiant.

• Bless Wardstone (buy in Sanctum/Meridian for 50 planarite) - Bless Wardstone will fully heal and upgrade your target wardstone. You want to use this ability to help buff up any wardstones that are under attack during invasion events. Many events require you to defend a wardstone, and if it falls, you fail the event. Healing the wardstone definitely comes in handy if you let a few enemies slip by. Uses 1 planar charge. Note: Known as Augment Wardstone for the Defiant.

• Holy Champion (buy in Sanctum/Meridian for 200 planarite). This ability is awesome. It increases your damage by 100% and reduces damage you take by 75% for a full 30 seconds against any planar enemy (works against opposite faction invasion NPCs too). You can use this to take out a hard wave in a Rift easily when playing solo! Uses 1 planar charge. Note: Known as Anti-Planar Augmentation for the Defiant.

• Summon Rescue Medic (buy in Sanctum/Meridian for 15000 planarite) – This summons a medic to your location that you can use to heal up your soul’s vitality. Convenient if you have died a few times in a row and do not want to use the spirit healer. It seems more like an end-game thing; would be convenient for raiding but for newbies it is not worth gathering up 15000 planarite! Requires 3 planar charges.

Lebron

Diseased Yak said:
You basically would never die unless you're fighting shit way above your level. You don't even need to invest any points in Ranger to get the pet. Your Bard skills will heal and buff your pet a lot better than any of the skills you get for it from Ranger. Bard/Ranger/MM is a good solo mix, a long with Bard/Ranger/NightBlade. The one with MM will be your best one as far as DPS goes.

Swag

Alright, I'm pretty confident I can do server first 50, leveling doesn't seem that hard and it's all about who can out grind.

I would try to go for world first, but I'll be behind by 4 hours in head start cause of class.

Alucrid

Banned
AceBandage said:
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1penOQ8xsMUGlXW2s-jodwtJP72Vcnd7PknJs9IGi-zq6GfveBcZWvvy8f--3LfaiO-2RBxWMDMBc6Ztd6B7TT6w/rift%202011-02-20%2014-23-45-62.bmp[IMG]

See this?
This is bad.[/QUOTE]

It's like Crossroads all over again.

Oh, do you have to preorder the game to get access to the beta? It's saying I need a code to be invited or something?

Rimshot

Everybody keeps saying this is the mmorpg to play etc... I haven't played it so far, just lvl 11, but I'm really not feeling it :/ Tried both factions a little, and I don't like WoW, but the world doesn't seem to pull me in.

Is anyone else here feeling something missing?

Oh and just accessability issues (design), like not showing you are auto-looting when holding in shift by changing icon, noting major as the function is still there, just me being an interactiondesigner so bitching about things being intuitive ^^;

Swag

Alucrid said:
It's like Crossroads all over again.

Oh, do you have to preorder the game to get access to the beta? It's saying I need a code to be invited or something?

Just wait for it, they'll e-mail you a code in a few minutes

1stStrike

Banned
Rimshot said:
Everybody keeps saying this is the mmorpg to play etc... I haven't played it so far, just lvl 11, but I'm really not feeling it :/ Tried both factions a little, and I don't like WoW, but the world doesn't seem to pull me in.

Is anyone else here feeling something missing?

Oh and just accessability issues (design), like not showing you are auto-looting when holding in shift by changing icon, noting major as the function is still there, just me being an interactiondesigner so bitching about things being intuitive ^^;

You can set auto-loot so all you have to do is right click on a mob and it auto-loots it and every other nearby mob.

Also, try to get to lvl 17 - 20 before beta ends and check out Iron Tombs and Granite Falls. lvl 11 is barely two steps into the game - believe me, at lvl 41 I've seen some awesome shit. There's some really fantastic design in this game as you progress.

Rimshot

1stStrike said:
You can set auto-loot so all you have to do is right click on a mob and it auto-loots it and every other nearby mob.

Also, try to get to lvl 17 - 20 before beta ends and check out Iron Tombs and Granite Falls. lvl 11 is barely two steps into the game - believe me, at lvl 41 I've seen some awesome shit. There's some really fantastic design in this game as you progress.

Thanks for the tip on the setting :) What I ment wasn't it is annoying to press shift. It was that I didn't get any kind of response to my mouse icon while holding shift, so I had to try and hope they had such an implementation.

Will try to play it a little longer. To me the beginning is where you capture the gamer, might just be me but it felt like "clutter", not really sure how to describe it ^^;

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah they need to implement a mouse icon change when you do press shift for auto-loot. It's only a minor nuisance but it should be done.

LowParry

Man, all I can think about with this game is the multiple ways of what class builds I want. Er soul builds. WoW has been nothing of an after thought. Except for raiding cause that's about all I do. I think I've got me and my friends coming over to play with GAF. I think that's about four total. And no, we're are not noobs. We've all been playing MMOs since the BatMUD/Gemstone III days :D

Ashodin

Rapstah said:
I might actually buy this and play with you guys in that GAF guild if it is region free like I heard. I'm liking the sound of the class system.
The class system is wicked cool.

TheExodu5 said:
Know what's really awesome? If you alt-tab, and you start getting attacked, the Rift task icon starts flashing.

I noticed that a while ago.
It's a very nice feature.

Also, trying out a Chloro/Arch/Lock mage now.
I'm really conflicted, because that's what I wanted to be originally, but man, Bard is awesome.
I'm afraid there will be too many, though.

Lebron

Sure, but there's a lot of shitty Bards out there that don't understand their role. I setback a few times when I knew there were other Bards in the group and they would only ever buff or heal when they needed it, not when the group needed it. I really don't understand.

Top Bottom