• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nadal has given up 9 games in 6 sets. He's only giving up 1.5 games per set on avg. not bad.

Serena has given up 5 games in 4 sets. 1.25 games per set on avg.

Gotta love the early rounds...
I'm not gonna calculate Murray's avg

oti

Banned
French crowd terrible as always.
This Grand Slam is such a garbage tournament. Only thing going for it is the clay.

oti

Banned
What's with the terrible zebra clothes?

Adidas wants #millenials to #chat about it on #socialmedia #yolo #lol #swag

I <3 Venus. Such a gracious player.

Next round Zverev vs. Thiem. Battle of the future right there

oti

Banned
The crowd boohs because Cornet's opponent plays drop shots since she suffers from cramps.

Lovely.

And now Cornet is crying.

Doesn't this like happen almost every time she plays?

Faith

What I'm expecting to see:

Djokovic vs. Coric
Ferrer vs. Berdych
Nadal vs. Thiem
Goffin vs. Gulbis
Raonic vs. Sock
Troicki vs. Wawrinka
Nishikori vs. Kyrgios
Isner vs. Murray

Djokovic vs. Ferrer
Nadal vs. Goffin
Raonic vs. Wawrinka
Nishikori vs. Murray

Djokovic vs. Nadal
Wawrinka vs. Murray

Djokovic
vs. Wawrinka

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The crowd boohs because Cornet's opponent plays drop shots since she suffers from cramps.

Lovely.

And now Cornet is crying.

Doesn't this like happen almost every time she plays?

Oh, it's just cramps? I understand the home crowd aspect, but it's dumb of people to expect players not to take advantage of physical problems like that. They're playing to win.

oti

Banned
Oh, it's just cramps? I understand the home crowd aspect, but it's dumb of people to expect players not to take advantage of physical problems like that. They're playing to win.

Taking advantage is exactly what the opponent has to do. It's sports, not some TV drama.

And I guess it's cramps, although I'm sure they said something different so she could get the medical time out. Otherwise she would've lost some points by now.

"OK so my opponent can't really run anymore so why not start playing only high and slow shots CAUSE THAT IS GONNA WIN ME THE MATCH RIGHT?" - Maria

Didn't realized there was an OT going for Roland-Garros, jesus the french crowd hate is real...
It's fun, tennis is also fun, remember? It's just a nice change of atmosphere from the other tournaments, it brings so much tension and hype !

oti

Banned
Didn't realized there was an OT going for Roland-Garros, jesus the french crowd hate is real...
It's fun, tennis is also fun, remember? It's just a nice change of atmosphere from the other tournaments, it brings so much tension and hype !

No, it's just garbage. Look at the Aussies and Baghdatis. They are passionate too but if you tell them to shut up they'll shut up. But the French are just terrible.

Kyrgios and Zverev playing doubles together lol.

Diamond

I often find comments in sports threads on GAF, and on the internet in general, too negative. People seem to not enjoy it but I think it's a way of showing they are passionate.

Regarding the crowd, if you read tennis threads regularly you'll see that the crowds are often criticized, rarely praised.

Personally, and as I said several times, I think there are some good arguments for criticizing the french crowd (tennis enthusiasts who are not filthy rich can have a hard time finding seats because of the bad seat allotment, for instance, so the people actually in the stadium can have uninformed reactions) but it's also part of the fun as you say, and they have some good moments too (I remember the standing ovation for Novak after he lost last year quite fondly for example. I was pleasantly surprised). Overall I prefer a crowd with reactions I wouldn't have (except violent ones of course) than a dead crowd.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I often find comments in sports threads on GAF, and on the internet in general, too negative. People seem to not enjoy it but I think it's a way of showing they are passionate.

Regarding the crowd, if you read tennis threads regularly you'll see that the crowds are often criticized, rarely praised.

Personally, and as I said several times, I think there are some good arguments for criticizing the french crowd (tennis enthusiasts who are not filthy rich can have a hard time finding seats because of the bad seat allotment, for instance, so the people actually in the stadium can have uninformed reactions) but it's also part of the fun as you say, and they have some good moments too (I remember the standing ovation for Novak after he lost last year quite fondly for example. I was pleasantly surprised). Overall I prefer a crowd with reactions I wouldn't have (except violent ones of course) than a dead crowd.

Some crowds are pretty good - the Australian Open is always enthusiastic but rarely rude, and I think Rome is usually very fair-minded with a good eye for talent. Some crowds are also undeniably terrible - Madrid is fucking awful every year and I'm convinced every who attends is Satan incarnate. I think people don't comment on the good crowds because the whole point of a good crowd is that they're not the focal point, even if they cheer and the like, so they don't draw attention. Meanwhile, a genuinely bad crowd is the worst.

Best crowds are in the Davis Cup, though. The combination of it being for your country plus the fact only real tennis obsessives go make them incredible.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Maria is pissed,pointing at Cornet after the quick handshake,wow...

Cornet had this to say about their post-match exchange: "She told me I was unfair. But it is she who was unfair, asking the umpire to give me time warnings"

And Maria: "It's not fair play, what she did...she had cramps! She takes physio for her left leg because her right leg was cramping."
"Afterward she's telling me I'm not fairplay? I don't know where this girl is, in which world?"
"We all know that she's maybe sometimes doing a show, but that she's doing it like this? It's crazy."

taken from here. Apparently they play each other in doubles tomorrow too lol

Diamond

Some crowds are pretty good - the Australian Open is always enthusiastic but rarely rude, and I think Rome is usually very fair-minded with a good eye for talent. Some crowds are also undeniably terrible - Madrid is fucking awful every year and I'm convinced every who attends is Satan incarnate. I think people don't comment on the good crowds because the whole point of a good crowd is that they're not the focal point, even if they cheer and the like, so they don't draw attention. Meanwhile, a genuinely bad crowd is the worst.

Best crowds are in the Davis Cup, though. The combination of it being for your country plus the fact only real tennis obsessives go make them incredible.

Fine picks with AO and Rome crowds, and good point about the fact that the crowd shouldn't be the focus of the match. Doesn't hurt to notice when it's good once in a while though. Also, a bad crowd is, of course, not as fun, but it can add to the drama of a match. For instance the french crowd was awful in the 1999 RG Graf-Hingis final but the match is all the more legendary because of it. I'm not saying I want more bad crowds, but it is humans who watch sport, so of course sometimes it will turn bad, and it can be interesting in the context of a tense match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What I don't understand is how tournaments get consistently good/bad crowds to begin with. I'd have thought it was random whether assholes turned up on any given day or not, and you can't really tie it to cultural stuff because most Spaniards I know are lovely people and not at all inclined to rudeness, so how is it Madrid ends up being awful every year? Are enthusiasts priced out and only richbois remaining or something?

szaromir

Banned

Yeah, football hooligans in Madrid are the worst. Crowds in China are also rather bad, lacking in knowledge of tennis rules or etiquette.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, football hooligans in Madrid are the worst. Crowds in China are also rather bad, lacking in knowledge of tennis rules or etiquette.

The worst thing about Shanghai and Beijing isn't the tennis rules, it's the glory-hunting. Obviously the Big Four have more draw in any given tournament, but in the Chinese tournaments the stadiums are basically empty when one of them isn't playing. There's no enthusiasts for the small-time players. In some fairness, I guess China has never really had a prominent player on the men's side to draw in people who are there for much more than the spectacle, though - you've not had time for tennis culture to emerge. It's more defensible than Madrid, given Spain has probably been the strongest tennis nation for the last ten years straight, excepting (maybe) France.

oti

Banned
I remember when the WTA Championships were held in Istanbul and the commentator called the crowd "endearingly new to this" or something like that. Just a very young crowd that was there for the spectacle, nothing more and nothing less.

Maria still fairly pissed and she's tweeting she's not done with Cornet. Well well well.
Here's what I don't really understand here, if she only had cramps (which was the case) she shouldn't have been allowed to get a medical break in the third. If you cramp that's your problem. It's not an injury.

best tennis crowd i ever experienced was the swiss crowd in the davis cup semis. incredibly loud and very fair might be biased but i've been to over 100 tournaments.

Here's what I don't really understand here, if she only had cramps (which was the case) she shouldn't have been allowed to get a medical break in the third. If you cramp that's your problem. It's not an injury.

Here's an excerpt from a post-game interview with Cornet :

« J&#8217;ai eu une crampe générale de la jambe droite. J&#8217;ai donc fait appel au kiné à la fin du 2è set pour qu&#8217;elle me masse la jambe le temps du changement de côté, étant donné que je n&#8217;avait pas le droit de prendre un temps mort médical pour la crampe. J&#8217;en ai profité pour lui signaler une autre douleur que je commençais à avoir à l&#8217;autre jambe, la gauche. Là, ce n&#8217;était pas une crampe, plutôt une sorte de contracture. La kiné est revenue trois jeux plus tard, à 2-1 au 3è set, pour cette blessure et uniquement pour cette blessure.

"I had one global cramp in the entire right leg. I asked for the medic in the end of the 2nd set so that she could massage my leg during the side-switching, because I couldn't ask for a medical break for a cramp.
I warned her about a pain that was starting to grow on the other leg, the left one.
This wasn't like a cramp, more like some kind of contraction [muscle spasm?].
The medic came back 3 games later in the 3rd set to treat this injury and only this injury.

oti

Banned
Here's an excerpt from a post-game interview with Cornet :

"I had one global cramp in the entire right leg. I asked for the medic in the end of the 2nd set so that she could massage my leg during the side-switching, because I couldn't ask for a medical break for a cramp.
I warned her about a pain that was starting to grow on the other leg, the left one.
This wasn't like a cramp, more like some kind of contraction [muscle spasm?].
The medic came back 3 games later in the 3rd set to treat this injury and only this injury.

Well, I mean it's Cornet. She's known to fake injuries and for her drama. The umpire should've been for strict with her but I'm sure they were intimidated by the crowd and all. In the end all of that doesn't matter though. Maria lost the match and that's it. If you want to beat a French player you gotta beat the French crowd as well. She should be pro enough to know that.

Well, I mean it's Cornet. She's known to fake injuries and for her drama. The umpire should've been for strict with her but I'm sure they were intimidated by the crowd and all. In the end all of that doesn't matter though. Maria lost the match and that's it. If you want to beat a French player you gotta beat the French crowd as well. She should be pro enough to know that.

Well yeah I agree, while I don't think she was faking I don't understand why it would even matter if she faked her left leg injury ; if you can't beat someone who clearly can't run or jump because of her right leg, so much that you have to resort to failing dropshots, just go home and be mad at yourself, not at the other player

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
US Tennis looks like it will be okay in the first time for a while with Fritz. Dude is cast iron future no. 1 barring injury issues; and obviously the US is still strong and has many good prospects with the women's side.

szaromir

Banned
Clayray wins the first 2 sets. I wonder if Mugray is going to make an appearance to turn this one into yet another 5 set encounter :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Clayray wins the first 2 sets. I wonder if Mugray is going to make an appearance to turn this one into yet another 5 set encounter :p

How else can he break Kuerten's record for most five-setters won on the way to a slam title?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
murray's been great with the cross-court dipping forehands, really nice shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom