• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nadal withdrew. Wrist injury.

:( That's really sad for Nadal. He was in such fine form, he really had a strong chance at this, and it was nice seeing him back at the top level again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This Nishikori-Verdasco match is super-high quality incidentally. Normally I'd always cheer for Kei, but Verdasco is striking with such phenomenal speed and accuracy it's hard not to be impressed.

szaromir

Banned
This Nishikori-Verdasco match is super-high quality incidentally. Normally I'd always cheer for Kei, but Verdasco is striking with such phenomenal speed and accuracy it's hard not to be impressed.

Rafa was so impressed with Verdasco's play that he realized his fellow Spaniard is coming for his wig in yet another major, so he called a conference and withdrew on the spot. Djokovic could never.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it is clayray's destiny to defeat djokovic in the final anyway, so no worries. and nadal withdrawing gives either zverev or thiem a chance to go pretty deep.

meanwhile, kyrgios is getting bodied by gasquet. another up-and-comer falls against a weak era relic.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
it is clayray's destiny to defeat djokovic in the final anyway, so no worries. and nadal withdrawing gives either zverev or thiem a chance to go pretty deep.

meanwhile, kyrgios is getting bodied by gasquet. another up-and-comer falls against a weak era relic.

The scoreline is doing Gasquet credit. I caught the second set and it was pretty tight, plus Kyrgios is playing on his worst surface vs. Gasquet's best.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, that was an absolutely atrocious choke by Verdasco. :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Really lucky escape for Nishikori. Verdasco should have won that match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Gasquet-Nishikori should be a fun match, that pairing rarely disappoints.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The Isner-Gabashvili match is pretty, uh, brutish in its simplicity but surprisingly good fun. It's currently Smash The Ball: The Game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That sucks for Nadal. Maybe he is unable to sustain his top form anymore?

The sheath on his wrist tendon has a tear, apparently. I don't think that's much to do with inability to sustain top form, that's just bad luck.

Ricker

Sloane Stephens is having an awful day.
Isner is just a slightly better version of Karlovic. I'll take Murray in 4 sets next round

Stephens is out,I dont really like her style of play,kind of a lazy player and it shows even more on days like today,where she looks totally bored,unprepared and out of it...

Diamond

That sucks for Nadal. Maybe he is unable to sustain his top form anymore?

The sheath on his wrist tendon has a tear, apparently. I don't think that's much to do with inability to sustain top form, that's just bad luck.

And age. At 30 yo you begin to realize you're not as resilient (source : I'm 30 lol). His recent good results made him play more than he has in the last two years. So an injury is not that surprising. But it's a bad news for the tournament in general. Roland Garros without Federer, Monfils and now Nadal... It's not the same.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
False. Isner had a career high of #9. Karlovic had a career high of #14

And? Hewitt had a career high of #1, Murray a career high of #2; I'd still take Murray as a better. Karlovic has a leading head to head with Djokovic!

Ricker

So Maria got her "revenge" on Cornet,beating her in the doubles,didnt see the match,wonder if there was some more finger pointing and theatrics ;-)

miserable

People are already theorizing about that and saying that the timing is suspect (2008 Olympics samples were retested recently). But it is laughable

man, this sucks. with this injury he might miss Wimbledon, the Olympics, not to mention the Davis Cup matches against Romania to which I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS this morning (yes, i can get a refund but it was a once in lifetime opportunity to see Nadal in my hometown)

FUCK :(

MIMIC

Banned
Karlovic was a better version of Isner, but age and all that.

Karlovic is practically serve ONLY. Isner can at least volley and doesn't hit the ball out 10 feet when he misses. And Isner returns better on average.

Not to mention higher ranking, more titles, better showing at the Slams/Masters, etc.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
man, this sucks. with this injury he might miss Wimbledon, the Olympics, not to mention the Davis Cup matches against Romania to which I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS this morning (yes, i can get a refund but it was a once in lifetime opportunity to see Nadal in my hometown)

FUCK :(

Sounds miserable :(

oti

Banned
Karlovic is practically serve ONLY. Isner can at least volley and doesn't hit the ball out 10 feet when he misses. And Isner returns better on average.

Not to mention higher ranking, more titles, better showing at the Slams/Masters, etc.

That's utterly undermining Karlovic. He's more than just serve.

MIMIC

Banned
That's utterly undermining Karlovic. He's more than just serve.

How so?

Anyway, I forgot to comment on Nadal's withdrawal. That sucks. Not only for him and his camp, but also the tournament and the fans. Nadal basically embodies RG so his absence will be felt all the way through the end of the tournament.

Having said that, this withdrawal does seem very strange. I've only seen a few games from his matches, but from most accounts, Nadal seemed fine. Some even described him as being the most in-form player among the contenders for the title. But he was suffering from an injury so severe that it forced him to retire from his most sacred and treasured slam?

Not saying his injury isn't legit, but I'm very confused.

oti

Banned

Yes, he's got a very good serve, but let's not forget his slice, his crushing forehand and his excellent volleys. He's a big guy and for that his moving pretty well around the court. Not as well as Isner does but still. Karlovic isn't as one-note as people make him out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom