• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep you're right. I haven't been following Tennis much in 2015 so I didn't expect Murray to perform so well on clay. Good for him :)

Man this RG is more exciting than I thought !

If you haven't been following much, then you should be aware that Rafael Nadal performances have dramatically fallen away this year. People still put him as a favourite because of his history but the way he's been playing, I just can't see it.

Mimosa97

If you haven't been following much, then you should be aware that Rafael Nadal performance has dramatically fallen away this year. People still put him as a favourite because of his history but the way he's been playing, I just can't see it.

I'm doing some reading atm trying to catch up on what's been happening in the Tennis world for the past few months. But I already knew about Rafa's underperformances. I'm not THAT out of touch.

The thing with Rafa is that you never know what he's capable of when playing at RG. He can do magic there. Djoko is a big favorite but we all know how much Rafa wants that 10th title under his belt. It looks like Djoko's year though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
People doubting Clayray smh. The only way he loses is a tactical tank to prepare for Wimbledon.

Rafa is going to steamroll through this draw. Philippe Chatrier just gives him so much extra power. Novak and Eoger will lose before the Quarters.

The bottom half is open. I can see Federer, Nishikori, Wawrinka, Berdych, or Monfils making the final. Federer probably has the best odds of making the final in his half, but he could just as easily lose to Nishikori or Monfils.

totoro'd

My snacks are ready. Falling ballboy is hilarious! I hope Nadal can come out of his slump, although i wouldn't mind seeing a Fed win here

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing the bookies give better odds from Murray than Federer and Djokovic than Nadal at the French Open is bizarre.

szaromir

Banned
I haven't followed tennis in a few years. The men's favorites are STILL those four??
Djokovic and Murray are not far off their best form (Murray has developed a mental block against Djokovic though :/ - and they played like 10 matches in the past 15 months). Nadal and Federer have declined so much it's utterly ridiculous that entire two new generations have yet to produce a player that could be competitive against them in terms of their current consistency or their current peak.

Kyrgios could be argued to be such a player, since he beat both in two very competitive matches, but he's not quite there in terms of consistency.

Djokovic and Murray are not far off their best form (Murray has developed a mental block against Djokovic though :/ - and they played like 10 matches in the past 15 months). Nadal and Federer have declined so much it's utterly ridiculous that entire two new generations have yet to produce a player that could be competitive against them in terms of their current consistency or their current peak.

Kyrgios could be argued to be such a player, since he beat both in two very competitive matches, but he's not quite there in terms of consistency.

That's what I was thinking. I mean Fed is 33 for Pete's sake.

MIMIC

Banned
I haven't followed tennis in a few years. The men's favorites are STILL those four??

Well Generation Useless (as they have been affectionately called) can't seem to get anything going. The up-and-comers are still getting smoked by the older top guys. Which is hilarious because Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal were already winning titles in their teenage years.

But I think people are forgetting that Djokovic, Murray, Nadal and Federer were all part of the strongest era in tennis history. Unless the next group of players are on the path to becoming all-time greats, these four are going to be at the top for a few more years.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Kyrgios did reach his first GS QF at a younger age than Federer and already has 2 top ten wins and an ATP final. Let's not be too pessimistic here. :p

MIMIC

Banned
Kyrgios did reach his first GS QF at a younger age than Federer and already has 2 top ten wins and an ATP final. Let's not be too pessimistic here. :p

Well Tomic got to the Wmbledon QF at 19, too and was already being hyped as the next multi-slam winner.

Time will tell with Kyrgios but not a single next gen player has displayed any type of consistency in the slams.

Every time the big four looked like it was about to fall apart, it didn't. Federer had a bad year in 2013 and Murray did too in 2014, but they bounced back. We'll see if Nadal can regain his form and return to the top four, but it might be harder now, with Nishikori and Raonic closing in.

szaromir

Banned
Well Generation Useless (as they have been affectionately called) can't seem to get anything going. The up-and-comers are still getting smoked by the older top guys. Which is hilarious because Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal were already winning titles in their teenage years.

But I think people are forgetting that Djokovic, Murray, Nadal and Federer were all part of the strongest era in tennis history. Unless the next group of players are on the path to becoming all-time greats, these four are going to be at the top for a few more years.

It's more than about being all time greats though. Look at Federer's contemporaries - Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Nalbandian, Davydenko - they didn't turn up to be all time greats but they sure as hell challenged and on multiple occasions beat the top players they faced (all time legends - Sampras and Agassi - among them). Now you simply don't have that, matches like Nishikori's semifinal win at the USO are far and few between.

I jumped on board of the Kyrgios bandwagon relatively early, when watching his match against Paire at the AO2014. He ended up losing that match from 2 sets up, but the guts he showed there were incredible (although playing against a professional clown must have helped :p). Then you have those matches like at Wimbledon against Gasquet and Nadal where he performed superbly on pressure points. Hopefully his game and stamina will develop to match his mental strength at one point.

Every time the big four looked like it was about to fall apart, it didn't. Federer had a bad year in 2013 and Murray did too in 2014, but they bounced back. We'll see if Nadal can regain his form and return to the top four, but it might be harder now, with Nishikori and Raonic closing in.
He's gonna get there. His draw is great. He's fresh. Halys is gonna get pummeled.

MIMIC

Banned
Tennis.com has Djokovic, Ferrer, Monfils and Berdych in the semis with Djokovic & Monfils in the final ^_^

It's more than about being all time greats though. Look at Federer's contemporaries - Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Nalbandian, Davydenko - they didn't turn up to be all time greats but they sure as hell challenged and on multiple occasions beat the top players they faced (all time legends - Sampras and Agassi - among them). Now you simply don't have that, matches like Nishikori's semifinal win at the USO are far and few between.

I jumped on board of the Kyrgios bandwagon relatively early, when watching his match against Paire at the AO2014. He ended up losing that match from 2 sets up, but the guts he showed there were incredible (although playing against a professional clown must have helped :p). Then you have those matches like at Wimbledon against Gasquet and Nadal where he performed superbly on pressure points. Hopefully his game and stamina will develop to match his mental strength at one point.

(I'm just gonna call him Nick because I keep forgetting how to spell his last name, lol)

Nick does have a lot of upswing and potential; his serve alone is probably his greatest weapon. I just get the sense that he's a little too temperamental. But we'll see whether or not he's tennis's next big thing (or one of the next slam-winning guys)

If something happens to Djoker, Federer has a real shot at this but he will probably go out against some mug getting hot.

On paper a finals should be possible.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hooray! There's a really good chance for Kyle Edmund to win his R1 match, which will put him at 103 in the rankings at only just turned 20. Given he'll be GBR's next top player, that's not too bad an achievement to rely on.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well Tomic got to the Wmbledon QF at 19, too and was already being hyped as the next multi-slam winner.

Time will tell with Kyrgios but not a single next gen player has displayed any type of consistency in the slams.

I do actually think Tomic could have been something much more than he is, but so much of his career has been wasted already because of coaching issues, all the stuff going on with his dad, and a lack of application until it was too late. He'd started turning it around, though - he's 16th in the race right now, well above his current ranking, and he's finally dumped his dad and got his training back on track, so you never know. I think it'd be foolish to count him entirely.

Kyrgios is a different matter, he's much less likely to get derailed like Tomic did.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
CFtdH0YWgAAh0Gv.jpg

Uzzy

Looking forward to my girl Lisicki crashing out early to some qualifier again. Ah well, more time to prepare for Wimbledon I suppose.

Looking forward to my girl Lisicki crashing out early to some qualifier again. Ah well, more time to prepare for Wimbledon I suppose.

lol watching her can be the best and worst thing ever. At least she (occasionally) shines at Wimbledon. Watching her in the final a few years back was absolutely miserable :lol

I've been absent for much of the past few months, Tennis-GAF. Just wanted to check in before matches started tomorrow. I love this time of the year.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
His second ticket must be for Serena then.

3rd round: Azarenka
4th round: Sister Venus
Quarter: Wozniacki
Semi: Kvitova
Finals: Sharapova

Yeah pretty rough. I'd be surprised if all those people make it to those respective spots though.

That should be good. Kind of a shame that it has to happen so early.

Serena beat Azarenka in a clay final just last month didn't she? It was a close 3 setter I believe. But yeah, Vika needs to get her ranking up if she wants to avoid early clashes with top tier players. A 3rd round match with Serena is about the worst draw she could get as a seeded player

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Serena beat Azarenka in a clay final just last month didn't she? It was a close 3 setter I believe. But yeah, Vika needs to get her ranking up if she wants to avoid early clashes with top tier players. A 3rd round match with Serena is about the worst draw she could get as a seeded player

If I remember correctly, Azarenka choked it away. She was up 6-5 40-0 on her serve and couldn't close the match lol

MIMIC

Banned
It just dawned on me that maybe the French Open is hesitant to have night sessions because they don't trust the fans. French fans are some of the worst in the world, so could you imagine these fans drunk at night?

LMAO that would explain it.

Anyway, ESPN has posted its experts' picks: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/12801336/experts-picks-french-open

Men
Winner: Djokovic (7), Nadal (2), Murray (1), Federer (1)
Dark Horse: Fognini (3), Kyrgios (2), Agut (2), Goffin (1), Mayer (1), Thiem (1), Gasquet (1)

Women
Winner: Halep (5), Sharapova (4), Serena (2)
Dark Horse: Kuznetsova (4), Azarenka (2), Garcia (2), Muguruza (1), Lisicki (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom