• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Rumble 2015 |OT| 30 Men enter. Roman remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I bet they'll all quietly resubscribe on or around March 29.
I know I will. As a kid I missed out on every PPV cause they were $50, now for only $9.99 I get to watch WrestleMania?!?

Shit. I dont think I've ever seen it live actually. Didn't have the network during XXX

The best match they could have put on at Mania is Bryan/Rollins, I think. Rollins is a new guy who is actually over and could beat Bryan without the fans being all pissed off about it.

(Maybe Bryan/Lesnar is good, I just don't buy it since its beyond the suspension of disbelief for me to think that Bryan could beat up Lesnar in a fight)

That's the point of having Bryan/Lesnar. You don't believe it, but they put on a match that makes you believe because they're both great performers. The match we'll get from Reigns is going to be hot garbage and you won't be able to think about anything but how forced Roman is.

dream

I know I will. As a kid I missed out on every PPV cause they were $50, now for only $9.99 I get to watch WrestleMania?!?

Shit. I dont think I've ever seen it live actually. Didn't have the network during XXX

I admire your integrity, Mr. Swag. The rest of us just watched illegal streams.

Hulk had character, but he was a shitty wrestler with a limited moveset that had a full career being booked as a Superman. The fact he's considered the most influential wrestler ever is a damn shame; Ric Flair deserves that distinction as he checked all the boxes on things you want in a wrestler.

I'm not saying Reigns is the next Flair, but the hate he is getting is ridiculous which makes me root for the guy more than I'd be inclined otherwise.

Hogan could be a decent wrestler but he was sooo good at controlling fan reactions that he didn't need to. Guy managed to make the crowd boo the Ultimate Warrior and the Rock while working 'heel'. If Reigns had 1% of Hogan's ability to work the crowd this wouldn't be an issue.

Vince should take advantage of this and come back as a heel, shit on the crowd and tell them he'll do whatever he wants.

I think you gotta pin the blame on Triple H too. Pretty sure a while back it was rumoured that Vince was pushing for Rock Vs Brock, whilst Triple H was pushing for Roman Reigns.

Hex

Banned
I actually think that Roman was busted up legit and that could be why he did not do so much.
Whether it was internal or it could have just been his mouth that was alot of blood on his face for just a lip or something, especially when he first got up out of the corner to get active.

The problem is they already have one in Daniel Bryan and they consistently refuse to let this super over star be their top guy because "he doesn't have the look!"
Even though a good look is just one way of helping someone be over. They're putting the cart before the horse

They gave Bryan his big moment last year and he got hurt. That is probably what is giving them pause.

The Rock coming out was also slimey as fuck. He was out there to play politics.

The man got booed. The ROCK.

The anti American got begged to win

tofvqv.gif

What are they saying?

Heroman

Banned
I think you gotta pin the blame on Triple H too. Pretty sure a while back it was rumoured that Vince was pushing from Rock Vs Brock, whilst Triple H was pushing for Roman Reigns.

Naw, HHH probably knew this would happen and Roman is Vince project.

That was one of the most illogically booked Rumbles in recent memory. Unbelievable.

- Eliminating Bryan so early killed the whole match. Anyone with a brain could've seen that coming.
- Leaving Bray alone in there so much early on. He's not CM Punk, he can't carry that kind of scenario.
- Completely uneventful middle section of the match
- Tossing out numerous fan favorites unceremoniously even after they've gone 30+ minutes into the match. The way Bray, Cesaro, and Ziggler were eliminated was pitiful.
- Ending with Roman Reigns, Big Show (IN 2015) and Kane (IN 2015) in front of a hardcore Philly crowd
- Bringing The Rock out there to get a Reigns a 2nd hand pop, as if that's EVER worked
- No D-Von

Utterly baffling decision making. If not for Brock stealing the show from their entire regular roster (aside from Seth who's great too), this show would been a waste of time.

Roman should have feuded with rollins for a while.

Sbeeeeeiiittttttzhdkk CES jcf

What if at wrestlemania Roman wins and Rollins cashes in on him?

My prediction was The Rock wins The Rumble, beats Lesnar, then the next night on Raw Rollins cashes in. Reigns wins the title from Rollins at Summerslam.

orioto

Good Art™
Hogan could be a decent wrestler but he was sooo good at controlling fan reactions that he didn't need to. Guy managed to make the crowd boo the Ultimate Warrior and the Rock while working 'heel'. If Reigns had 1% of Hogan's ability to work the crowd this wouldn't be an issue.

And this is why Reigns is doomed anyway. Cena is hated but the guy can make a match super hot, and can give intensity to a promo. Reigns can do none of that and he will have zero ability to counter the hate. They'll have to drop the ball now.

Got to see
half of
a Dudley Death Drop and a bunch of Diamond Cutters, so I got more out of it than I thought I would.

Been a sub since the network went up. After tonight I just can't.

Please tell us your reason for cancelling your subscription:

◻ Ending free trial

◻ Cannot afford the subscription

☑ Posturing for your Internet friends

Ithil

Hulk had character, but he was a shitty wrestler with a limited moveset that had a full career being booked as a Superman. The fact he's considered the most influential wrestler ever is a damn shame; Ric Flair deserves that distinction as he checked all the boxes on things you want in a wrestler.

I'm not saying Reigns is the next Flair, but the hate he is getting is ridiculous which makes me root for the guy more than I'd be inclined otherwise.

Hogan was extremely charismatic, Reigns is not remotely.
And this "I like Reigns because others don't", that's some childish stuff.

JavyOO7

Just got back and without reading the thread I probably agree with the reaction. They had to know that the crowd would shit on the match after Bryan got eliminated and still decided to have him go out barely halfway through the rumble. And then going all in on Reigns by having The Rock come up to try and get him cheered by proxy and he still got heavily booed. I know Bryan marks can be out of control sometimes but I don't see how you could argue that they went way out of their way, in spite of themselves, just to say fuck you to a significant part of their fanbase with the way they booked Bryan. At least the first 3/4 of the PPV was good, but geez.

Wade Keller on his twitter noted that WWE had no idea the crowd would react like this: https://twitter.com/thewadekeller/status/559550510059892738

ScribbleD

Fire big show and Kane, promote the guy with the eyes to kanes spot. Make Wyatt the new taker.
triple-h-nod.gif

Rollins the new edge.

JuiER.gif

Roman the new rock.

stone-cold-laughing.gif

Cesaro the new angle.

W3X5YiE.gif

Ambrose is a new beast, maybe the new Jericho?

tumblr_nglv1n4Ewj1saykaxo1_400.gif

That guy from.NXT with the beard, new stone cold.

sSq02.gif

Make cena start putting guys over

16141%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20bray_wyatt%20gif%20laughing%20smiling%20wwe.gif

Odds of any of those happening, especially the good ones: 0.

And this is why Reigns is doomed anyway. Cena is hated but the guy can make a match super hot, and can give intensity to a promo. Reigns can do none of that and he will have zero ability to counter the hate. They'll have to drop the ball now.

Roman Reigns really makes you appreciate John Cena. That's how underwhelming he is.

Fire big show and Kane, promote the guy with the eyes to kanes spot. Make Wyatt the new taker.

Rollins the new edge.
Roman the new rock.
Cesaro the new angle.
ok hunter

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The funniest part about all of this is that the WWE knew. There's no way they didn't know. I have been watching wrestling sporadically for a year after not watching since 1999, and I knew this was going to happen so clearly the people paid to do this knew.

They knew it was going to be in Philly and they saw Reigns already getting mixed or mild reactions in other cities. So they said "What's the best we can do to minimize this?"

Well, first you have to get rid of Daniel Bryan early. Real early. Embarrassingly early. Check.

Just to be sure, no fan favorites in the final four. Scratch that, get the three people crowds hate most. Our one true heel in the match and the two old guys that people probably never cared for in the first place but they've been around so long it would be rude to not call them legends. In fact, let's take these midcarders from two decades ago, and let's have them clumsily throw out everybody the crowd might possibly want to see win.

Somebody still realized this wasn't enough. Somebody had the foresight to say "Listen, no, we need to do literally everything we can to get them to cheer Roman Reigns. If this doesn't work, nothing will" and they called the Rock, and they found out nothing would work. They pulled out all stops to try to get the crowd to embrace the guy they long ago decided would win and still fell flat on their faces.

T5ZdBgn.jpg

All in all, it might have been the most entertaining moment in WWE history. If anybody ever asks you why you watch this awful, awful product, you tell them it's because no matter how bad the Big Bang Theory gets, you'll never hear the crowd screaming "This is bullshit" when they are supposed to laugh.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Hulk had what was important in sports entertainment. He knew the crowd, he grabbed the crowd, he knew what worked and wasn't completely oblivious to what didn't work. He could play a babyface like nobody else. You act like Flair wasn't given opportunity after opportunity after opportunity. Hogan was a better showman, and for the modern wrestling fan, that's the most important thing.

Bret Hart himself said 'Ric Flair has the same matches with everyone'

Trojan X

Banned
That was one of the most illogically booked Rumbles in recent memory. Unbelievable.

- Eliminating Bryan so early killed the whole match. Anyone with a brain could've seen that coming.
- Leaving Bray alone in there so much early on. He's not CM Punk, he can't carry that kind of scenario.
- Completely uneventful middle section of the match
- Tossing out numerous fan favorites unceremoniously even after they've gone 30+ minutes into the match. The way Bray, Cesaro, and Ziggler were eliminated was pitiful.
- Ending with Roman Reigns, Big Show (IN 2015) and Kane (IN 2015) in front of a hardcore Philly crowd
- Bringing The Rock out there to get a Reigns a 2nd hand pop, as if that's EVER worked
- No D-Von

Utterly baffling decision making. If not for Brock stealing the show from their entire regular roster (aside from Seth who's great too), this show would been a waste of time.

One more to the mix - The complete confusion involving Curtis Axel. By technicality, the rumble should still be on RIGHT NOW because Curt wasn't been eliminated.

In clarity of Roman Reign. He is awesome but he needs extra training (more move sets, better executions, better mic skills, more strength, become more vicious, learn to take more hits, more high risks, better finishers [even goldberg knew that he couldn't let his spear be the main finisher, it was a setup move for his jackhammer], etc). I.e. Not ready. That's all. Everything else is minor.

Omega

Banned

Rollins the new edge.
Roman the new rock.
Cesaro the new angle.

???

You do know Angle was way more than just a wrestler right? He was great on the mic.

Oh, it's true. It's damn true

Kusagari

They never should have had Bryan in the Rumble. Was it really worth the brief subscription boost to sacrifice Roman's Rumble moment?

There was no scenario where fans wouldn't shit on the Rumble if Bryan didn't win. None.

I'm sitting here in utter disbelief that they could literally be this fucking stupid two years in a row. Vince McMahon is the greatest wrestling promoter of all time, but he really needs to step the fuck back and let the kids take over. I bet HHH was laughing his ass off backstage.

Hulk had what was important in sports entertainment. He knew the crowd, he grabbed the crowd, he knew what worked and wasn't completely oblivious to what didn't work. He could play a babyface like nobody else. You act like Flair wasn't given opportunity after opportunity after opportunity. Hogan was a better showman, and for the modern wrestling fan, that's the most important thing.

Bret Hart himself said 'Ric Flair has the same matches with everyone'

Wait wait are we saying that Ric Flair couldn't grab the crowd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom