• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Rumble 2015 |OT| 30 Men enter. Roman remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrrr

That was one of the most illogically booked Rumbles in recent memory. Unbelievable.

- Eliminating Bryan so early killed the whole match. Anyone with a brain could've seen that coming.
- Leaving Bray alone in there so much early on. He's not CM Punk, he can't carry that kind of scenario.
- Completely uneventful middle section of the match
- Tossing out numerous fan favorites unceremoniously even after they've gone 30+ minutes into the match. The way Bray, Cesaro, and Ziggler were eliminated was pitiful.
- Ending with Roman Reigns, Big Show (IN 2015) and Kane (IN 2015) in front of a hardcore Philly crowd
- Bringing The Rock out there to get a Reigns a 2nd hand pop, as if that's EVER worked
- No D-Von

Utterly baffling decision making. If not for Brock stealing the show from their entire regular roster (aside from Seth who's great too), this show would been a waste of time.

- I agree about Bryan's elimination. The crowd just died after that.
- I disagree about Bray. He's had a bad year since his feud with Cena and a strong Rumble showing would've gone a long way to helping rebuild him. How he was tossed out was utterly stupid.
- Agreed and it's been this way for a while now.
- They also failed to utilize guys like Harper and Mizdow.
- Reigns winning isn't a problem. HOW he was booked to win is.
- It actually shows WWE knew Philly was going to boo Reigns.
- Yup. If D-Von wasn't showing up, then Bubba should've dropped the Dudley Gimmick and came out dressed as Bully Ray.

Dead Man

That was one of the most illogically booked Rumbles in recent memory. Unbelievable.

- Eliminating Bryan so early killed the whole match. Anyone with a brain could've seen that coming.
- Leaving Bray alone in there so much early on. He's not CM Punk, he can't carry that kind of scenario.
- Completely uneventful middle section of the match
- Tossing out numerous fan favorites unceremoniously even after they've gone 30+ minutes into the match. The way Bray, Cesaro, and Ziggler were eliminated was pitiful.
- Ending with Roman Reigns, Big Show (IN 2015) and Kane (IN 2015) in front of a hardcore Philly crowd
- Bringing The Rock out there to get a Reigns a 2nd hand pop, as if that's EVER worked
- No D-Von

Utterly baffling decision making. If not for Brock stealing the show from their entire regular roster (aside from Seth who's great too), this show would been a waste of time.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I feel like he's heavily alluding to Triple H being oblivious.... which is fucking FRIGHTENING.

I said it above. Everyone's pointing at Vince only. But Triple H surely had something to do with it.

Just like last year. He brings back his friend and puts him in the main event.

I feel Triple H gets away with it due to NXT. But let's not forget how much of a jerk the guy can be.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
How many booing crowds do you think it will get to change his mind, though?

I've seen some people say that Reigns is over with the non-smark crowds, but I really doubt it's going to be any different than it was for Batista last year.

Indeed. Marks exist everywhere, and there was still some cheers for Cena in Philadelphia. Couldn't hear any for Reigns.

T5ZdBgn.jpg

The look in Roman eyes says it all. Straight up shock and sad.

The funniest part about all of this is that the WWE knew. There's no way they didn't know. I have been watching wrestling sporadically for a year after not watching since 1999, and I knew this was going to happen so clearly the people paid to do this knew.

They knew it was going to be in Philly and they saw Reigns already getting mixed or mild reactions in other cities. So they said "What's the best we can do to minimize this?"

Well, first you have to get rid of Daniel Bryan early. Real early. Embarrassingly early. Check.

Just to be sure, no fan favorites in the final four. Scratch that, get the three people crowds hate most. Our one true heel in the match and the two old guys that people probably never cared for in the first place but they've been around so long it would be rude to not call them legends. In fact, let's take these midcarders from two decades ago, and let's have them clumsily throw out everybody the crowd might possibly want to see win.

Somebody still realized this wasn't enough. Somebody had the foresight to say "Listen, no, we need to do literally everything we can to get them to cheer Roman Reigns. If this doesn't work, nothing will" and they called the Rock, and they found out nothing would work. They pulled out all stops to try to get the crowd to embrace the guy they long ago decided would win and still fell flat on their faces.

T5ZdBgn.jpg

All in all, it might have been the most entertaining moment in WWE history. If anybody ever asks you why you watch this awful, awful product, you tell them it's because no matter how bad the Big Bang Theory gets, you'll never hear the crowd screaming "This is bullshit" when they are supposed to laugh.

That's why pro wrestling is awesome and fascinating. I mean, to use your Big Bang Theory example, if they introduced a new character on the show and audiecnes hated him, nobody laughed at his jokes, and tons of negative focus tests results came back, they wouldn't continue to force him down people's throats. ON the other hand, if there was a bit character who was wildly popular and got huge laughs every minute he was on he'd likely get more screen time. For some reason the WWE doesn't operate this way. Their business is so wildly insular and has this weird adversarial relationship with it's fans.

Roman Reigns seems like he could be the next Randy Orton but instead they are trying to make him Super Cena and that aint gonna work.

Its not the guy they are pushing its the way they are doing it.

Also when was the last decent showdown at the end of the rumble? I feel like its been the guy who is clearly going to win versus some jobbers at the end for a few years now

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wait wait are we saying that Ric Flair couldn't grab the crowd?

Compared to Hogan? Who could pop a dead Wrestlemania 9 crowd in a throw-away tag match? Who popped a nothing feud with Billy Kidman? Who got a standing ovation in Montreal after winning the WWE title in 2002?

Flair can't grab a crowd in a match. Only in a promo. Hogan could do both.

thuway

They legitimately killed Roman Reigns chances of becoming a credible and likeable main eventer. He wasn't ready for this push. Instead he's in the stratosphere which makes absolutely no sense.

Hulk had what was important in sports entertainment. He knew the crowd, he grabbed the crowd, he knew what worked and wasn't completely oblivious to what didn't work. He could play a babyface like nobody else. You act like Flair wasn't given opportunity after opportunity after opportunity. Hogan was a better showman, and for the modern wrestling fan, that's the most important thing.

Bret Hart himself said 'Ric Flair has the same matches with everyone'

what does brent know? guy started crying when he had to evolve his character from super babyface and people started getting bored.

he's his own mark

One more to the mix - The complete confusion involving Curtis Axel. By technicality, the rumble should still be on RIGHT NOW because Curt wasn't been eliminated.

No, old school booking says you have to make it to the ring before the next entrant or you are eliminated. Nothing stops you from coming down later but not as an entrant.

Compared to Hogan? Who could pop a dead Wrestlemania 9 crowd in a throw-away tag match? Who popped a nothing feud with Billy Kidman? Who got a standing ovation in Montreal after winning the WWE title in 2002?

Flair can't grab a crowd in a match. Only in a promo. Hogan could do both.

I have nothing to say other than that you are incorrect

(about Flair, Hogan was obviously great at grabbing the crowd as well)

Fox318

That's why pro wrestling is awesome and fascinating. I mean, to use your Big Bang Theory example, if they introduced a new character on the show and audiecnes hated him, nobody laughed at his jokes, and tons of negative focus tests results came back, they wouldn't continue to force him down people's throats. ON the other hand, if there was a bit character who was wildly popular and got huge laughs every minute he was on he'd likely get more screen time. For some reason the WWE doesn't operate this way. Their business is so wildly insular and has this weird adversarial relationship with it's fans.

That's because their boss put everyone else outta business and he runs his place like Jim Jones.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The funniest part about all of this is that the WWE knew. There's no way they didn't know. I have been watching wrestling sporadically for a year after not watching since 1999, and I knew this was going to happen so clearly the people paid to do this knew.

They knew it was going to be in Philly and they saw Reigns already getting mixed or mild reactions in other cities. So they said "What's the best we can do to minimize this?"

Well, first you have to get rid of Daniel Bryan early. Real early. Embarrassingly early. Check.

Just to be sure, no fan favorites in the final four. Scratch that, get the three people crowds hate most. Our one true heel in the match and the two old guys that people probably never cared for in the first place but they've been around so long it would be rude to not call them legends. In fact, let's take these midcarders from two decades ago, and let's have them clumsily throw out everybody the crowd might possibly want to see win.

Somebody still realized this wasn't enough. Somebody had the foresight to say "Listen, no, we need to do literally everything we can to get them to cheer Roman Reigns. If this doesn't work, nothing will" and they called the Rock, and they found out nothing would work. They pulled out all stops to try to get the crowd to embrace the guy they long ago decided would win and still fell flat on their faces.

T5ZdBgn.jpg

All in all, it might have been the most entertaining moment in WWE history. If anybody ever asks you why you watch this awful, awful product, you tell them it's because no matter how bad the Big Bang Theory gets, you'll never hear the crowd screaming "This is bullshit" when they are supposed to laugh.
Great breakdown that sums it all up.

Kusagari

They should have Rock turn heel and blame Bryan for the fans shitting on Reigns, setting up Bryan/Rock at Mania.

That would somewhat salvage this.

orioto

Good Art™

T5ZdBgn.jpg

I can see their idea being.. (this is how they think generally) He's not super hot right now, but if we book him as the savior he'll be. In that logic, let's every fan's favorite be eliminated and threaten of crappy heel winning, so they'll see Reigns winning as some kind of "at least! the new generation has the last word!!"

What they didn't realize is that reigns is already "same old crap" material before even its first title reign. I think more than being a bad wrestler, he's really fake. You can't work in Wrestling if nobody believes you're saying anything by yourself with your own personality. The guy is an empty receptacle.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have nothing to say other than that you are incorrect

(about Flair, Hogan was obviously great at grabbing the crowd as well)

That's fine. I just think people only notice Hulk's faults and never notice Flair's because a lot of people grew up strictly watching WWF, so they didn't know stuff like how Flair was barely over when he first won the NWA title or how poorly his 'real world champion' run was.

That's because their boss put everyone else outta business and he runs his place like Jim Jones.

I've often wondered if Show Vince and Business Vince have sort of become blurred in his head and in a way he thinks it's okay if the show gets booed, like if it means he and the WWE are meta-over. Like someone else mentioned all those people in the crowed booing their lungs out still bought tickets.

Ithil

They legitimately killed Roman Reigns chances of becoming a credible and likeable main eventer. He wasn't ready for this push. Instead he's in the stratosphere which makes absolutely no sense.

Yes, he's poisoned now, like Sheamus was. He'll never be accepted as "the top guy" even if he becomes ready one day, this too soon megapush will make him toxic to a large part of the audience permanently.

Had they held off a year, maybe he could have been like, good, and ended up a top guy. But their refusal to be patient probably just killed Reigns' chance for good.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Now I feel guilty about paying for a Wrestlemania ticket. With that said I just leeched off my friend's network sub to see the shitshow of an ending. Yep that was once again incredible for all the wrong reasons. I didn't think I would see a crowd shit on the Rumble even harder than last year but I was wrong.

I feel like if the Final Four were Bryan, Ziggler, Bray and Roman everyone would have been ok with Roman winning. Roman looks so sad in the picture with the Rock...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It's amazing! This guy is bad at every part of his job except being sexy. He can't wrestle a compelling match unless he's the big scary guy who gets the hot tag while his partners do all the work and make the opponent look strong, and he can't convincingly pick up a microphone and make you believe he's a native English speaker. And instead of keeping him as the big scary enforcer, they strapped a rocket to him and tried to make him the Rock. He's barely Samu.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bryan vs Rollins for the briefcase

Bryan wins

Brock beats Roman

Bryan cashes in

Bryan faces Brock and wins

WM saved

Don't fuck over Rollins for Bryan

Almost like they're carnies or something

Fox318

I've often wondered if Show Vince and Business Vince have sort of become blurred in his head and in a way he thinks it's okay if the show gets booed, like if it means he and the WWE are meta-over. Like someone else mentioned all those people in the crowed booing their lungs out still bought tickets.

edmySx2.jpg

Vince killed his company with Cena when he tried to get his wife elected.

Alucard

Banned
PWTorch dudes speculating that it looked like Reigns had been crying when he was doing the post-show interview with The Rock.

I didn't see that, but eh, wouldn't surprise me. The guy got grilled on what should have been the biggest night of his career to date.

That's fine. I just think people only notice Hulk's faults and never notice Flair's because a lot of people grew up strictly watching WWF, so they didn't know stuff like how Flair was barely over when he first won the NWA title or how poorly his 'real world champion' run was.

I'm the opposite. I was always a JCP/WCW guy and I think most people's opinions of Flair are informed by when he was way out of his prime. His original WWF run (which still had it's moments, but he was a shell of his former self then), his later WCW years, and everything since WCW closed where he just won't retire. Even the Steamboat matches took place when he was in his 40s and starting his decline. He was clearly the best wrestler alive when he was in his prime.

Hasney

PWTorch dudes speculating that it looked like Reigns had been crying when he was doing the post-show interview with The Rock.

I didn't see that, but eh, wouldn't surprise me. The guy got grilled on what should have been the biggest night of his career to date.

I was joking in chat that he was going to do a "WITH A TEAR IN MY EYE" promo, but he could have just been wet with sweat.

Sephzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom