• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Pro to be announced next week; New First Party Games to be shown end of September

Moses85

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Knack 3 will be the Pro debut title and will mark a new era of graphics fidelity and be used as a technical benchmark for the years to come.

Second shock announcement will be Knack 1 and 2 Remake on Unreal Engine 5.

You heard it here first.

Senua

Gold Member
I still can not wrap my head around why a PS5 Pro is even necessary, when most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware. Sure, as a PC owner, more powerful hardware can be nice, but nothing I've played on PS5 has made me said "man, I wish this system was more powerful".
There are plenty of games with very low internal resolutions that makes the final image artifacted garbage. Especially UE5 stuff.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I still can not wrap my head around why a PS5 Pro is even necessary, when most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware. Sure, as a PC owner, more powerful hardware can be nice, but nothing I've played on PS5 has made me said "man, I wish this system was more powerful".

My guess is they just already committed to it thinking MS would jump at it again but I think MS sees pc as the pro platform now. IMO sony should focus on getting the ps5 price down not up. But hey china was a nice boost so i guess no real need for that right now.

Hrk69

Gold Member
And games aren't magically going to run or look better

Developers still need to put out an update

Mownoc

In performance mode lots of games on PS5 can drop to 1080p, or even below. With the help of 40% better GPU performance, and AI hardware on top of that those games can have 4k image quality at 60fps instead of 1080p. The triple performance in ray tracing will also help for those visual effects, a separate "ray tracing mode" may not be as necessary or have a lot less compromises to resolution/fps on PS5 Pro.

The "most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware" line gets said a lot but it doesn't really make sense for Pro Consoles. Just like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X they're primarily to boost Resolution and Frame Rate and the vast majority of games on the PS5/XSX are not full 4k60... so.... The games clearly are using all the PS5/XSX's power, just maybe not in the way you want them to.

It's no different from someone on PC wanting to upgrade their RX 6600 XT to an RX 7700 XT, (The PS5 Pro upgrade will be bigger than this due to the additional AI hardware too). Some people don't want to wait 8 years for a power upgrade.

Last edited:

thatJohann

Well ps5 is already dated. And games struggle to run ok or have low res etc. Of course developers not optimizing are part of the problem but also the hardware is dated now.

Question is, will they have anything to actually sell the Pro?
My guess is Death Stranding 2 will be the big showcase game. Kojima hinted as such in his tweets, hiding some devkit (linked to a dualsense) under a cloth. And he would have no reason to hide a PS5 devkit.

I am expecting also GT7 with RT in gameplay. Shouldn't be too hard for them as RT is already there in cutscenes.

Mr.Phoenix

Hvae you got a PC?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well ps5 is already dated. And games struggle to run ok or have low res etc. Of course developers not optimizing are part of the problem but also the hardware is dated now.
RT wise I agree, they added it late (and an early version of it) and got more support by devs than they expected. If they made a Pro to give PS6 more time for R&D it would have been one key area of optimisation for their HW team and it seems like it has been (between the new RT units, PSSR to reduce bandwidth and compute requirements, higher bandwidth and more effective memory throughput, as well as little over 1 GB of extra RAM available to developers could make RT a LOT more prevalent and better used in games).

Now, wrt to PS6… likely AI acceleration (custom NPU) will be to PS6 what RT was to PS6 (but maybe in a better status at launch HW capabilities wise) and a driver for extra RAM (32+ GB, but I do hope for 64 GB… not likely to be that high though, but I can hope for it hehe 😜). Possibly an area PS6 Pro would then target for further improvement then too.

Mr Hyde

I too like to repeatedly post in threads about products I have no interest in. The attention feels nice.

I have a lot of interest in Playstation and invested a lot in the brand. Bought all consoles, games and merch since its inception in 94. I'm just disappointed in Sony now and the PS brand is at an all time low right now for me. It's a travesty with their current management. But go ahead and make baseless assumptions about things you don't have a fucking clue about.

nial

Having specific dates is interesting, with them just releasing their greatest game ever, this could be the best September for Sony.

Majormaxxx

it is needed so we can have cross gen ps4/ps5 games to run at 4k120 or 8k60 :messenger_beaming:

And games aren't magically going to run or look better

Developers still need to put out an update
Most PS5 games have dynamic res or framerate. Nearly all of them will look/play better without an update. Dynamic res only sets the base bottom resolution, the top end is 4k, PS5 pro will reach closer to 4k than the normal PS5.

Rudius

Question: will the Pro be able to run non-Pro patched games better than the PS5 only by brute forcing them ?
Meaning, if a game like FF16 which has a very variable framerate in perf.mode, will the Pro be able to iron it out and run it at a stable 60fps ?
Up to a certain point.

For FF16 it should lock to 60 most of the time, when it runs above 40 on PS5. When it goes down into the high 30s the Pro should at least bring it up to VRR range, above 48 fps.

Some say it's GPU is around 45% stronger in brute force terms, a conservative estimate, and much more in ray tracing, perhaps 2X.

- That is enough to take a game running at 45 fps (Wukong, Elden Ring) and bump it up to 60fps+, depending on the locks in place.

- Games running at unlocked 80~90 fps (God of War Ragnarok) should go up to 120.

- A dynamic resolution game running around 1080p on PS5 should be closer to 1440p on the Pro.

- A game that is close to 4K on PS5 (Astrobot) should reach mostly native 4K on the Pro.

- Games that use ray tracing combined with dinamic resolution and/or unlocked fps (Insomniac games) could see a much greater improvement.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
GAF is going to be insufferable until the 10th time to go dark!

excited for new hardware. no hype for software sony hasn't put out anything I really loved in like ten years

hope that changes

MikeM

Gold Member
In performance mode lots of games on PS5 can drop to 1080p, or even below. With the help of 40% better GPU performance, and AI hardware on top of that those games can have 4k image quality at 60fps instead of 1080p. The triple performance in ray tracing will also help for those visual effects, a separate "ray tracing mode" may not be as necessary or have a lot less compromises to resolution/fps on PS5 Pro.

The "most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware" line gets said a lot but it doesn't really make sense for Pro Consoles. Just like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X they're primarily to boost Resolution and Frame Rate and the vast majority of games on the PS5/XSX are not full 4k60... so.... The games clearly are using all the PS5/XSX's power, just maybe not in the way you want them to.

It's no different from someone on PC wanting to upgrade their RX 6600 XT to an RX 7700 XT, (The PS5 Pro upgrade will be bigger than this due to the additional AI hardware too). Some people don't want to wait 8 years for a power upgrade.
Current games are inefficient generally at resource management. Look at games like Starfield- people said that this had to be 30fps and look where we are now. How many games are initially heavily single core that become scalable between cores later on? Stuttering on UE5 games?
Pro consoles solve some of that problem on the GPU side but engines need to be better overall.

Top Bottom