• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Pro to be announced next week; New First Party Games to be shown end of September

Doom85

If it is true, hopefully this will be a September to remember!

Do You Remember September GIF by Earth, Wind & Fire

PeteBull

what exactly is the PS5 Pro going to do better than standard PS5?

don't tell me native 4K with 60fps and some more raytracing.
What we got from the leak +45% gpu perf, small bump on the cpu clock(under 10%), bigger vram pool avaiable for games, over 2x more rt performance, might be something more than that like sony developped upscaling method but thats not certain

At this point any bullshit people say has a decent chance of coming true, especially when they don't pin down any specifics. Then if anything close to what they say happens they will claim they were right.

Asking a question? I want to know if I should buy it...

Is it going to be a minor update or major?

It's a mid-gen so it's a PS5 with better performance in all technical aspects

It's up to you to decide if those improvements are enough to justify a purchase

Don't buy it if you are expecting a PS6, because it isn't....

KevinK15

Neo Member
There won’t be two sku’s. Want a disc drive? Go buy it as an accessory.

Recent hardware sales say different. Disc is still a cash cow for Sony. Last time a company tried to force something was Xbox forcing Kinect on people and that did not end well for them. Sony won't make that mistake. Clearly a lot of people are still buying disc consoles.

PlayStation 5 – 26,912 (5,169,306)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 6,953 (848,178)

Recent hardware sales say different. Disc is still a cash cow for Sony. Last time a company tried to force something was Xbox forcing Kinect on people and that did not end well for them. Sony won't make that mistake. Clearly a lot of people are still buying disc consoles.

That doesn't mean much, sure a lot of people have PS5 with a disc drive...

The question is whether they use it or not....

Sony has the metrics for digital games sold vs physical games sold

PS5 Digital has been impossibile to find for years and people might like to have the drive anyway in case they need it....

KevinK15

Neo Member

PS5 Digital has been impossibile to find for years and people might like to have the drive anyway in case they need it....
I got a disc version only to end up with 2 games on disc, and only because I liked the special edition covers lol. But yeah, I like the "nice to have" factor. I'd still buy it if digital only and get the add-on. But personally think its too early to go all digital.

KevinK15

Neo Member

Actually just found this stat:

PS5 and PS4 physical sales in 2024 have dropped another 3% year-on-year as 70% of PlayStation owners buy their games via the PS Store.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm oddly excited for the PS5 Pro, I say that as mainly a PC gamer. But I'd like an option for the living room when I want to chill on the couch, plus GTA 6. I also play Destiny 2 and it'd be cool to play it above 60fps on the big tv if it allows.

I think the similar form factor to the current digital edition would show that they are going to move in the digital direction. 4 SKU’s of a loss leading product is a challenge….

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'd not have guessed "2 events," - and while it goes against the grain - it does make the most sense.

- Reveal the PS5 Pro with a Mark Cerny presentation
- Show the games running on a PS5 Pro soon after

Let's see if the leaker is right.

StereoVsn

Actually just found this stat:

PS5 and PS4 physical sales in 2024 have dropped another 3% year-on-year as 70% of PlayStation owners buy their games via the PS Store.
It’s a lot more nuanced because these numbers contain digital only titles, DLCs, etc…

There was a fairly recent report indicating that people were still at over 50% physical world wide for bigger titles, especially Sony ones.

I got a disc version only to end up with 2 games on disc, and only because I liked the special edition covers lol. But yeah, I like the "nice to have" factor. I'd still buy it if digital only and get the add-on. But personally think its too early to go all digital.

Sony won't go all-digital, they are not that stupid

Worst case scenario you will have to buy the drive separately

But I expect videogames retailers like GameStop to sell a bundle anyway...

Retailers need to sell that drive to survive

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I agree especially since talking to a friend who oversees a lot of Gamestops and he said they are getting a lot more of those disk drives sent to them starting next week

Mr.Phoenix

i have a 4080 and play games at 200-360fps at 1440p.

what are you on about?
Maybe you should take the time to read. I said "in a modern game engine". So we are talking about the best of the best games coming out this year and in the years to come. A 4080 is not going to be playing Black myth or Star Wars at 1440p@120fps. And if you have to start failing back all settings to sub-console levels... then what is the point? ANdx I know this because even a 4090 cannot do it natively.

Now if using DLSS... that's a different matter. And if you are using DLSS to hit 200fps... then the real question becomes what are you running the game at internally?

This brings me back to what I was saying, the PS5pro, is a better PS5. And will likely cost $100 more. If you really do own a 4090... then you should be well versed in what the differences (and hence expectations) are going from a 4070 to a 4080 to a 4090.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I don't even bother responding to the whole all-digital fear-mongering anymore. Even a cursory glance at how the PS5pro is supposed to look makes it obvious it's designed to work with PS5 slim faceplates, and as such... the already available PS5 disc drive add-on.

Top Bottom