• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Pro to be announced next week; New First Party Games to be shown end of September

Rudius

I still can not wrap my head around why a PS5 Pro is even necessary, when most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware. Sure, as a PC owner, more powerful hardware can be nice, but nothing I've played on PS5 has made me said "man, I wish this system was more powerful".
It's not "necessary", since the PS5 can run every game at least at 30fps, but for many games it could provide a substantial improvement. Take Wukong, a great success, but only runs at 1080p 45 fps on PS5; If unlocked could probably reach 48-50, but not 60. On PS5 Pro it would mostly lock to 60fps without the need of frame gen, and with a patch they could reconstruct the 1080p image up to 4K with PSSR, so it would both run smoother and look much better.

KevinK15

Neo Member
Also coming with the Pro will probably be the new V2 DualSense that was accidentally leaked on Best Buy Canada's website awhile back
M8zIrOx.jpeg
advertising 12hrs of battery life now.

Matt_Fox

I just hope there aren't stock shortages again. I remember hovering over the keyboard at 8am or whenever it was PS5 sales went live, pressing refresh. I got mine, but it was sold out in moments.

Itv Millionaire GIF by Stellify Media

Up to a certain point.

For FF16 it should lock to 60 most of the time, when it runs above 40 on PS5. When it goes down into the high 30s the Pro should at least bring it up to VRR range, above 48 fps.

Some say it's GPU is around 45% stronger in brute force terms, a conservative estimate, and much more in ray tracing, perhaps 2X.

- That is enough to take a game running at 45 fps (Wukong, Elden Ring) and bump it up to 60fps+, depending on the locks in place.

- Games running at unlocked 80~90 fps (God of War Ragnarok) should go up to 120.

- A dynamic resolution game running around 1080p on PS5 should be closer to 1440p on the Pro.

- A game that is close to 4K on PS5 (Astrobot) should reach mostly native 4K on the Pro.

- Games that use ray tracing combined with dinamic resolution and/or unlocked fps (Insomniac games) could see a much greater improvement.

That would be the biggest get since a lot of games are really struggling in this area, especially the 60fps modes.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’m pretty interested in the PS5 Pro, but I could probably live without it in the short term. I’m more interested in 1st-party games currently and I can’t wait for some reveals!

Sethbacca

I still can not wrap my head around why a PS5 Pro is even necessary, when most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware. Sure, as a PC owner, more powerful hardware can be nice, but nothing I've played on PS5 has made me said "man, I wish this system was more powerful".
I can’t get why this is even a question when so many games, some released in the last week, are having to upscale from sub HD resolutions and still only achieving 30fps. Additional power is always welcome by a segment of the community, just don’t buy it if you’re fine with what you’ve got.

Euler007

nothing I've played on PS5 has made me said "man, I wish this system was more powerful
Funny, the first time for me was Returnal. It was awesome but I could tell it would be even more awesome at 120fps and a higher internal resolution (1080p internal 60fps with 50fps dips right now). Ratchet's 40fps quality at 60+fps, same thing. FF16 doubly so. Basically any game that has a quality mode, give me that at 60+fps with VRR. Few games couldn't benefit, Demon's Souls comes to mind, already perfect.

Rudius

That would be the biggest get since a lot of games are really struggling in this area, especially the 60fps modes.
That's just the automatic bumps we can expect, enough for games needing just a bit extra. For the worst ofeenders, like Star Wars and Final Fantasy 16 performance mode a Pro patch would do wonders: keep the same internal resolution (giving better performance on Pro) and use PSSR to recostruct to 4X the resolution.

Last edited:

Rudius

Funny, the first time for me was Returnal. It was awesome but I could tell it would be even more awesome at 120fps and a higher internal resolution (1080p internal 60fps with 50fps dips right now). Ratchet's 40fps quality at 60+fps, same thing. FF16 doubly so. Basically any game that has a quality mode, give me that at 60+fps with VRR. Few games couldn't benefit, Demon's Souls comes to mind, already perfect.
Demon's Souls: quality mode at 40 fps + option to unlock with VRR = win.

Are we really creating a topic with two print screens where the guy already says he doesn't know certain stuff on the first print and then writes a second one to correct parts of the first print?

That said...guessing the pro to be announced on the same month TGS happens is basically a given. Sony already said they would be there.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Someone didn’t play Black Myth: Wukong on PS5.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They better bring out the big guns. No multiplayer trash with kiddy generic art styles. Only SSM or ND will suffice

Presentation Begins...

"We brought the OG's back together"

Zipper Interactive Logo appears...

*Middle Eastern sounding music blended with heavy riffs blares*

Voiceover "You have been downtrodden, you have been abandoned..."

MAG REMASTER, 120 fps, 8k native.

Crowd goes insane, smashes the place up...Hulst gets hung drawn and quartered.

PS5 Pro sells 20 Concordillian units.

simpatico

Any guesses on the game? Many are hoping for a Spider-Man 2 Pro remaster, but you never know, we could get lucky and land Uncharted 4 Pro remaster.

finalflame

Maybe the plan is to let the Pro breathe for a few days just showcasing how great it improves existing content, to give it a clean media cycle. Then when they do the SoP they come our with a band showing new games looking awesome on the Pro 🤷‍♀️
Yup. Media cycle around one particular brand / announcement has to be concise, and by doing it this way they allow enough time to focus on the consoles itself and improvement announcements without the risk of it being overshadowed or competing with the new game announcements. As an added bonus they keep being the top news in gaming for much longer.

saintjules

Gold Member
will they talk price though? My guess is 649 diskless. will buy two.

If it's via a blog post as many suggest, I'd assume they will. Like they do for accessories and stuff. Maybe gone are the days there's these big reveals of prices for Consoles.

I personally like the way PS5's price was revealed.

Last edited:
Should be quite the exciting next few weeks. Would love to see a new Infamous, Bloodborne sequel or remaster and a new proper Uncharted with Drake and Sully. Either way, I am sure Sony will deliver and we will finally see some of the bigger AAA games they have been working on. The timing with the Pro could mean they are launch titles as well.

Top Bottom