• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian hackers leak Simone Biles and Serena Williams files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

So if you compete on a higher level than intramural you should be able to use amphetamines? Like a baseball player without ADHD would see no advantage from taking an amphetamine?
Them taking prescribed drugs under a doctors care and the governing body of the sport signing off on it, s not the same as you taking adderall just because.reasons

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I imagine this is standard procedure. Things like anxiety medication, fertility drugs, certain medications for autoimmune disorders or infections, asthma drugs, etc. Are "banned" but only if used improperly.

I understand the anger that comes from having your athletes barred from competition, but that's an extreme violation of privacy that doesn't actually indict the regulators. It only opens athletes up for assaults through social media and and in real life. Sure, it's possible that there may be biases, but you'r attacking too many innocents to reach your ends.

That's assuming they're genuine. Like many "hacktivists" it's much more likely they just lash out because they can, and then rationalize it however they can. What a waste of potential.

They don't care, they just want an excuse to say "b-but what about____".

Toxi

Banned
I understand the anger that comes from having your athletes barred from competition, but that's an extreme violation of privacy that doesn't actually indict the regulators. It only opens athletes up for assaults through social media and and in real life. Sure, it's possible that there may be biases, but you'r attacking too many innocents to reach your ends.

That's assuming they're genuine. Like many "hacktivists" it's much more likely they just lash out because they can, and then rationalize it however they can. What a waste of potential.
Genuine? They're probably state-sponsored cunts.

I think these salty tennis players should find better drugs.

Although, it does make the schadenfruede from Sharapova's suspension look bad in retrospect innit?

I imagine this is standard procedure. Things like anxiety medication, fertility drugs, certain medications for autoimmune disorders or infections, asthma drugs, etc. Are "banned" but only if used improperly.
I would expect so. Asking about them or requesting exemption in advance seems to be good practice. The only practice, really.

Fergie

Banned
Things I learned from this thread

• Athletes with medical conditions should be required to stop taking their medication because it could give an advantage. No word on coaching, equipment, diet, exercise, genetics...
  • No athlete has ever really had a serious ailment that could require medication. They're so fit yo!
  • ADHD doesn't exist and shouldn't be medicated.
  • Getting a medical excuse for taking banned medication is incredibly easy, so Russia was just too stupid to do it for all their doping athletes that got slammed.
  • All the winners of all sports events should be Russians.
  • Undercover Russian agents, personally paid by Putin.
You forgot one m8.

Corto

I would expect so. Asking about them or requesting exemption in advance seems to be good practice. The only practice, really.

Of course. And those athletes will be monitored regularly to check the levels of those drugs on their system. Those will need to fall on the expected therapeutic levels. If above those levels they will have to explain why that happened and prove it wasn't due to misuse of those drugs.

Bigfoot

It's not the purpose, but what it creates an advantage?
That's what I'd like to know. If the medication gives an advantage or is really useful at masking any real doping then it shouldn't be allowed or should be allowed for everybody.

I'm pretty sure all the top athletes are cheating in some way but they are just really good at getting away with it.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
tumblr_m88v7bWEuT1qzmvmbo1_250.gif

lol this

Dat backfire

oti

Banned

Although, it does make the schadenfruede from Sharapova's suspension look bad in retrospect innit?

I don't understand how you can compare these two cases. Sharapova used a drug that was legal for a very long time but continued to use it after it was officially deemed illegal. She had all the documents, she has a big ass team working for her and yet she still took the illegal drug without noticing, as she put it. Arguing whether she lied or not is pointless, the point here is that she acted illegal, the Williams sisters did not.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hello, Russia. You guys cheated across the board and still have the audacity to pretend medical exemptions the IOC knew about and allowed count as cheating.

7e4.jpg

Toxi

Banned
That's what I'd like to know. If the medication gives an advantage or is really useful at masking any real doping then it shouldn't be allowed or should be allowed for everybody.
You do realize there's a reason ADHD meds are controlled substances, right?

Nobody bought Sharapova's excuse either, for good reason because it's a farce. But I find it strange that we afford Serena the benefit of the doubt without knowing exactly what the condition is.

I mean USADA is the bastion of integrity and all that.

we afford her the benefit of the doubt because she disclosed it in the proper way via the proper channels.

it's not a fucking mystery.

Corto

Nobody bought Sharapova's excuse either, for good reason because it's a farce. But I find it strange that we afford Serena the benefit of the doubt without knowing exactly what the condition is.

I mean USADA is the bastion of integrity and all that.

It's not benefit of doubt is the right of privacy. The process and the institutions are in place to enable the rules application and to protect the athletes health records. Those are personal and private. Only they should publicize them.

Trokil

Banned
You do realize there's a reason ADHD meds are controlled substances, right?

Which makes the whole thing not better.

ADHD meds do help you to get more focused, that's why a lot of students use them as well. In a sports like gymnastics this is a very grey area and of course it will have a sour taste.

It does have a positive effect in that field, reduces stress and makes you less nervous, so of course a lot of people will not like this.

Sharapova took a banned drug. The athletes here had approval for their drug due to a real medical condition. Sharapova claimed to be a diabetic or some clearly made up shit to get an advantage. And when the drug was banned, she continued to take it anyway because her and her team thought she was above the rules.

zelas

USADA's track record doesn't exactly command the requisite credibility for me to trust their "proper channels"

You dont trust USADA, good for you. Your distrust of USADA doesn't change the fact that the athletes in question went through the channels put in front of them unlike others.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
shame on you 'murica

MIMIC

Banned
LOL! Serena tested positive for prednisone?? I take that, too.

I can assure that it is not performance enhancing, lol (even though it's a steroid)

Which makes the whole thing not better.

ADHD meds do help you to get more focused, that's why a lot of students use them as well. In a sports like gymnastics this is a very grey area and of course it will have a sour taste.

It does have a positive effect in that field, reduces stress and makes you less nervous, so of course a lot of people will not like this.

Apparently you (and quite a few other people in this thread) fail to realize that these drugs are supposed to treat conditions for athletes and make them equals with other healthy athletes, not give them an advantage.

Like, what are you guys asking for here? Do you want these athletes banned, or do you want them to suffer from their medical conditions and play at a disadvantage? What's the goal to all this arguing?

I mean, the proof is the article. Unless you are saying that the leak is illegitimate, which is fine and might be the case.

Not when the agency says "nothing was done wrong". The rest is you grasping at straws.

Yes, but obviously people aren't reading that.

2 vs 22

How is Serena ever going to keep up?

I don't know man, seems real easy to be one of the most dominant athletes in history if you can just take magic pills and not work that hard.

Yeah, I'm sure that given the opportunity to smear an American Olympic athlete of Phelps' caliber, the Russian hackers have decided to give him cover because he's a white male instead. That makes sense.

Nope. They targeted these three because they're black, and Serena in particular because they hate the Williams sisters. One of their sports officials referred to them as brothers before, and Ms Sharapova holds more Ls and salt whenever she loses another match to Serena. The roadrunner and Wiley Coyote was more competitive.

Unless you've tested them both on and off the medication and controlled for any other factors that could affect athletic performance, I'm inclined to believe the anti-doping agencies when they say this isn't something that affects the legitimacy of the competition.

So am I, but apparently that doesn't stop people hurling their version of ignorance.

I do find it sad that people jump right to race. How about they are the most dominant women in their sports the world has ever seen. Is that not enough that they are targeted? Do we really need to take all of that away and say it's just because they are black.

Wrong again. It's pretty obvious, there's a rich history with black people and the Olympics, especially those that win, precisely because they often have to be far, far superior to get there. It only takes away if you refuse to acknowledge it. The history with Russia and the Williams sisters in particular is pretty telling.

People just see what they want to see. Russia just wants to discredit American athletes, I doubt they care they are black.

They absolutely care--again, they've accused Serena of doping for years, and their beloved Sharapova hasnt beaten her since you could buy a Gamecube for $99. There's serious salt there.

their track record in a vacuum or their track record compared to Russia?

Both. Russia's state sponsored doping program is well publicized, but our own anti-doping record aren't spotless either. It's a spectrum, not a binary choice between "trust" and "do not trust'

But truth be told, the thing that annoys me the most isn't the shoddy testing, the corruption, or the rampant doping in general, but the sanctimony around it. When the entire incentive structure around sports actively encourages doping for individual participants, we shouldn't act shocked or betrayed that athletes dope.

And really, Usain Bolt could be doped up to the gills and that doesn't diminish his accomplishment to me one bit. Neither would it Serena, or Phelps, or Lebron, or whoever.

TarNaru33

Banned
Guys, all medication is performance enhancing, that's why we give it to sick people. When healthy people take medicine, they become superhuman. I just took some tylenol and I benched a pickup five minutes ago.

I laughed pretty hard at this.. I imagined a person doing that.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
LOL! Serena tested positive for prednisone?? I take that, too.

I can assure that it is not performance enhancing, lol (even though it's a steroid)

Au contraire

Corticosteroids increase the performance of endurance athletes significantly, by enabling them to keep their blood glucose elevated for longer periods, and by masking the pain of the physical overload on joints and muscles. Specifically speaking, the gluconeogenic activity and lipolytic actions provide the athlete’s working muscles with a rich blood supply of energy substrates for going that “extra mile”. Additionally, the anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity covers up the discomfort of the massive physical overload. Furthermore, the corticosteroids can have a mild stimulant and euphoric effect on the athlete, charging him up for the event and keeping him or her focused throughout the performance of the grueling task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom