• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

The thing that bothers me the most about this game is how bloodless it is.

You stab and kill all sorts of people, but there are no limbs and heads flying off.

Am I a sicko? Maybe.

Not a sicko, but visually impared. There's blood everywhere in gameplay videos and characters getting arms and legs cut off.

KOHIPEET

So Ryse sounds like every God of War game......I like God of War. :)

God of War 1-2-3 had fantastic (often ridiculously difficult ones) platform elements deeply woven into the gameplay so please don't compare it to Ryse. They probably weren't even aiming to do something similar, they're two separate games.

MaLDo

The golden part of the floor is using SSR indeed, but the grey part (which is most of the floor) isn't. If the floor wasn't as reflective SSDO would be more than enough, but the bright specular highlights exacerbate the problem.

The problem here is artists put a too high specular factor value for gray stone floor. Diffuse layer is barely visible. That's why characters appear off. The floor must be a lot darker and everything will appear ok.

KKRT00

You need a fart to fake stuff like that. But it's like I'm banging my head to wall talking to you.

I'm banging my head against wall by trying to explain You that You cant have indirect shadows on next-gen platforms or even PC.

You are expecting things that are not possible currently in real-time and still arguing.

=========
This is the problem exhibited:

SamaritanReflectionShadows.png

And in this case it happens for because they're using a cubemap reflection for the environment but as you correctly point out, the material isn't glossy enough for the SSR to kick in.

Unfortunately CryEngine does not support reflection shadows yet, You can only override specular reflection with other SSR or normal shadow.
But there is also no other game that uses Reflection Shadows, so its not like its industry standard. Pity, because its great tech.

zoukka

I'm banging my head against wall by trying to explain You that You cant have indirect shadows on next-gen platforms or even PC.

You are expecting things that are not possible currently in real-time and still arguing.

Ok final try from my part. By faking it I mean literally any solution imaginable. Mirror the models, use a goddamn sprite blob shadow, or just lose the reflectiveness of the floor. Only the end result matters and here the characters look like they are floating in the air. And please don't respond to me that nothing is wrong with their engine, we already know that. The fault is in the end result which looks straight up glitched.

Doffen

Whats in the season pass and how much does the digital deluxe version cost ?

- The four add-on packs contain a total of 14 multiplayer maps, a brand-new mode, six player skins, new level events and access to a new tier of weapons and armour.
- An in-game sword and shield with bonus attributes for use in multiplayer exclusive to the season pass.

That.

KKRT00

Ok final try from my part. By faking it I mean literally any solution imaginable. Mirror the models, use a goddamn sprite blob shadow, or just lose the reflectiveness of the floor. Only the end result matters and here the characters look like they are floating in the air. And please don't respond to me that nothing is wrong with their engine, we already know that. The fault is in the end result which looks straight up glitched.

You would make it worse by faking shadows or reflections, because it would looked, You know faked, even more faked than it is now.
They could increase reflectivity, but it would change surface characteristics and maybe artists were not fine with that.
And You'll see that high resolution footage of this arena will look much better, because You'll see subtle reflections and You'll see AO.

Tsukumo

And after that: Ryde, Sons of Anarky

It probably is boring if you play on an easy difficulty. And from current trends in gaming, Normal is probably far too easy.

I watched plenty of videos from the xbox tour which got pulled from youtube: button mashers are blatantly punished by the game difficulty. Enemies keep dodging when you mercilessly press A for Awesome, and in Arkham City fashion single attacks don't give much damage but enemies escalate the speed and the quantity of the hits when you don't recover from an attack by covering yourself with the shield. The minotaurs for example have a chain combo that is simply devastating (four hits, ending in a fifth which is unblockable): not even the multiplayer developer who showed it on Twitch was able to deal with it properly.
Same happened to the Gamespot guys, who kept dying ON THE FRIKKN' TUTORIAL LEVEL!
Monotonous? maybe, we'll see. But no way this game is as easy as is getting depicted.

damn this game is gonna get hammered.

Xbone is civilization!
Xbone is ordah!
Xbone, is, POWA!

Arkanius

I bet this game will suffer from critics a lot.
Polygon already said the game is boring and short as it can get.

But god damn, it looks so good. And it looks fun to me.
Dead Rising 3 also looks amazing to me and yet...

Vitor711

11am GMT tomorrow/6am ET/3am PT

Uh, well that's worrying. Everything else has been reviewed and out there for public consumption.

No reason to hold this one back that long unless you're doing damage control. I really want this to be good, but my hopes aren't high.

Uh, well that's worrying. Everything else has been reviewed and out there for public consumption.

No reason to hold this one back that long unless you're doing damage control. I really want this to be good, but my hopes aren't high.

Plenty of theories, some people saying they've tried to keep momentum going, DR3, console, Forza, Ryse one each day (US) plus Monday had all the other titles...

I can see your point, but I'm expecting incredibly mixed reviews on the game, doesn't change my mind on getting it personally.

Unfortunately CryEngine does not support reflection shadows yet, You can only override specular reflection with other SSR or normal shadow.
But there is also no other game that uses Reflection Shadows, so its not like its industry standard. Pity, because its great tech.
That area is one of those "worst case scenarios" for CryEngine. The floor is specular enough to reflect the environment but not enough for SSR to kick in and no shadow casting lights to ground the characters. Crytek could modify SSR to kick in in less glossy materials and blur the reflection more to compensate.

What the combat system relies on, rather than complexity, is timing. Getting the timing right on parrying an enemy blow, then the combination in which you strike back, and the precise timing of each of those strikes, is what Ryse is all about. It's a very tight focus for gameplay, but I found it to be highly satisfying. Its simplicity is a big part of why it works.

This, I feel, is going to be the crux of the "like it or not" for reviews. Seems like it's more a pretty brawler than a complex action game.

Doffen

The clock is ticking down and we are closing in on the Ryse reviews.
Any last predictions?

Still a few hours until embargo lift

daedalius

I watched plenty of videos from the xbox tour which got pulled from youtube: button mashers are blatantly punished by the game difficulty. Enemies keep dodging when you mercilessly press A for Awesome, and in Arkham City fashion single attacks don't give much damage but enemies escalate the speed and the quantity of the hits when you don't recover from an attack by covering yourself with the shield. The minotaurs for example have a chain combo that is simply devastating (four hits, ending in a fifth which is unblockable): not even the multiplayer developer who showed it on Twitch was able to deal with it properly.
Same happened to the Gamespot guys, who kept dying ON THE FRIKKN' TUTORIAL LEVEL!
Monotonous? maybe, we'll see. But no way this game is as easy as is getting depicted.

Well, that certainly sounds better.

The game definitely sounds like a total bore on easy, but might actually be fun and challenging on the higher levels; as long as its done right anyway.

So Ryse sounds like every God of War game......I like God of War. :)

Where have you read or seen any God of War comparisons?

Besides both being violent and set in the past

What is the deal with the embargo?

When do the reviews drop?

They drop today, they knew it was going to get hammered so they ban the scores so people don't cancel system and game orders. Look at all the knack cancellations last week.

Don't trust ANY game with an embargo like this, I can't think of one game in history that gets a last minute embargo unless the publisher wants to hide bad scores

Leaden, repetitive combat.

Sounds like most post Crysis 1 Crytek games. Ah well, at least it's pretty. Hopefully we see more developers use Cryengine for their games too. Fantastic engine based on Ryse...

Again, I don't know anyone would be surprised a game with an embargoed review turns out like this

At least Sony believed it knack to put it out there like that

Arkham Origins had a late embargo, turned out pretty great if you ignore the numerous bugs, etc.

You're saying to ignore game breaking bugs? Also, I remember the scores being noticeably lower then the previous two titles and most reviewers being disappointed. So I would say it fit nicely with the embargo theme of hiding from negative scores

Top Bottom