• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Eusis

Again, I don't know anyone would be surprised a game with an embargoed review turns out like this

At least Sony believed it knack to put it out there like that
After how many games have had embargoes, launch day embargoes at that, it's become something you don't take too seriously.

I WOULD consider it more alarming they lifted it early on some games but not this, but given Forza was recieved as well if not better than DR3 but was held back an extra day it really does seem like a strategy meant to stagger them out and build up hype, but with that selection it's only keeping our eyes on coverage at most. Maybe that's enough, but if Ryse keeps getting scores like that it'd seem more like blue balling than increasing excitement.

Lima

You're saying to ignore game breaking bugs? Also, I remember the scores being noticeably lower then the previous two titles and most reviewers being disappointed. So I would say it fit nicely with the embargo theme of hiding from negative scores

Because they don't have a clue. Pretty much everyone that played the game and is a Batman fan ranked it as the best of the Arkham games or at least on the same level as City.

The reviews for that game were a load of bullshit.

After how many games have had embargoes, launch day embargoes at that, it's become something you don't take too seriously.

I WOULD consider it more alarming they lifted it early on some games but not this, but given Forza was recieved as well if not better than DR3 but was held back an extra day it really does seem like a strategy meant to stagger them out and build up hype, but with that selection it's only keeping our eyes on coverage at most. Maybe that's enough, but if Ryse keeps getting scores like that it'd seem more like blue balling than increasing excitement.

If they thought Ryse was going to get 9s you better believe they lift the embargo for that game a week ago so everyone can soak in the hype. There is a reason early exclusive game reviews are almost always very positive and glowing reviews

Because they don't have a clue. Pretty much everyone that played the game and is a Batman fan ranked it as the best of the Arkham games or at least on the same level as City.

The reviews for that game were a load of bullshit.

So all the reviewers were wrong and those complaining about the game here on gaf were a load of bullshit, gotcha

Tsukumo

What did you expect? The videos of the game showed exaclty what was shit with the game

We've seen different videos. But taking a look at your avatar pic I kinda get where you come from. I'm going to buy ps4 down the line, don't fret :D

Thanks. Looks like Sabretooth was expecting a digression over colonialism and about the militarization of the state instead of a bro-themed roman carnage of virtus and pietas. But I get it: in the last two years a lot of games have raised the bar for plot content and plot themes. I guess fun is not allowed anymore.

Again, I don't know anyone would be surprised a game with an embargoed review turns out like this

At least Sony believed it knack to put it out there like that

I'm not surprised. It's just sad to see the game wasn't able to resurrect from the bad impressions it gave on E3 (Crytek's PR fault, no question) and it's still considered in a negative light out of what looks to me as some sort of pretentiousness over what game design "should" be about. I've never understood this "QTE are shit" stance that has been taken by many people in these later years.

I'm not surprised. It's just sad to see the game wasn't able to resurrect from the bad impressions it gave on E3 (Crytek's PR fault, no question) and it's still considered in a negative light out of what looks to me as some sort of pretentiousness over what game design "should" be about. I've never understood this "QTE are shit" stance that has been taken by many people in these later years.

The games design and quality begs for a compelling story and if there isn't a compelling story there has to be compelling game play. Without one or both of these things the game will be juxtaposed against it's stellar graphics and will look like an extremely poor game. Like a restaurant with refined ambiance and high end decor can't serve mediocre food, the food would stand out that much more because everything else is of high quality.

The game might be a turd but in terms of it's importance to MS at launch it has done it's job and deserves a well baked sequel. Without Ryse the Xbox One launch narrative about comparative power to PS4 would've been a hard sell with Forza alone. Now it has arguably the best looking launch game on either system and allows Xbox gamers to dream about the graphical greatness that would be a new Gears game or the next Halo.

I'm buying it at launch and I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting. I've been through more then a few console launches so my expectations are realistic.

was pretty certain this would fill the second-hand shelves for years to come but hey, i have lots of credit & dead rising 3 (& a free forza) to really keep me entertained.
this will be a lovely looker though.

i'm sure it'll do well enough to get a sequel & will probably be a series for the xbox one. the rumoured knights of england game could be nice.

:c makin' me sad. Don't reward failure, wait till it's in the dollar bin.

Dude i don't care i want to play it tomorrow not 2 months later i have shit to do for uni to finish my final year and planned a small 4 day window to play X1 release games.

Ryse i have seen the stream and it looks like fun maybe a bit repetitive but i think the same about uncharted platforming as people do about ryse combat automated and no skill still enjoyed uncharted so yeah.

So the cutscenes are really FMV? That's a bummer ... still looks great, but they lied then.

Yeah, it was kind of obvious since some sequences transitioned straight to gameplay while others didn't. Its not a big deal since visuals are a non-issue for this game, it clearly looks amazing visually. Everything else suggests that they could have released it as a kinect title and it would probably have been just as entertaining unfortunately...

Yeah, it was kind of obvious since some sequences transitioned straight to gameplay while others didn't. Its not a big deal since visuals are a non-issue for this game, it clearly looks amazing visually. Everything else suggests that they could have released it as a kinect title and it would probably have been just as entertaining unfortunately...

I think after its E3 second reveal the gamers back fire probably forced them to make it an controller game. Hope with the sequel they can actually make an proper melee combat game. And hope they stop going cinematic herp derp.

Ricky_R

Well even with the mixed reviews I think I'm still going to pick up this game. It just looks really satisfying...

Killzone had mixed reviews, this got mediocre to bad.

That doesn't mean you won't have fun with it though. I've been enjoying KZ and Knack a lot.

jem0208

Killzone had mixed reviews, this got mediocre to bad.

That doesn't meant you won't have fun with it though. I've been enjoying KZ and Knack a lot.

Ehh, Ryse has had scores from 4-8 with quite a few 7s. I wouldn't say it's had mediocre to bad.

This scored higher than Knack which I loved, so I think I'm in good shape. I just don't care about review scores at this point. Edge's comparison to Gears of War was all I needed to read. Sold.

This OP looks weird on mobile.

Little off topic (but maybe no considering subject matter!?), where is your avatar from? Like the style.

More on topic...
Well... I'm hoping to get it through rental... I'm just really torn on what to think of it period.

Thanks goodness this OT is pretty much come to a crawl. I couldn't breath in the review thread. I hate seeing such hatred and vile crap thrown back and forth at people in one thread. Save that poop throwing for the monkeys will ya!?

derFeef

Enjoyed the GB quicklook, I think they were fair saying that the core is solid, but it would need more to it. I will still play this, looks fun to me, if only for a chapter a day or so.

Ricky_R

Thanks goodness this OT is pretty much come to a crawl. I couldn't breath in the review thread. I hate seeing such hatred and vile crap thrown back and forth at people in one thread. Save that poop throwing for the monkeys will ya!?

That's what I like about review threads. People can have their console war there leaving the OT for proper discussion among those genuinely interested in the games.

KKRT00

So Crytek couldn't even follow its own philosophy of always being realtime. What a disaster.

Yeah, completely do not understand why those cutscenes are not real-time. They are gameplay quality in terms of everything, from IQ, by effects, to all models and textures.

Also do not understand why they opted to use the highest possible Depth of Field settings, when it alone drops their frames by 2-4. Most FPS drops are in executions animations, where they are using their highest quality Bokeh DoF all the time. Why Crytek? Its not like lower settings looks much worse.

-------
Btw this framerate analysis looks strange in comparison to the their 1080p60 footage. Its remarkable smooth for such frequent drops. Like, i'm very sensitive to fps drops, but footage looks so smooth that i would never guess, that it drops so many times.

Enjoyed the GB quicklook, I think they were fair saying that the core is solid, but it would need more to it. I will still play this, looks fun to me, if only for a chapter a day or so.

I think the setting and brutality of it all will keep me going. I enjoy hack and slash games though, or more specificallly old school arcade side scrolling beat-em-ups and this feels just like a next gen version in that nature from what I can see. I'm cool with that.

That's what I like about review threads. People can have their console war there leaving the OT for proper discussion among those genuinely interested in the games.

Thank goodness. I'm not tooting Ryse as the be all, end all game... but damn those review threads just get nasty.

imt558

Banned
Let's be honest guys, can it score lower than Heavenly Sword, with it's over the top dialogue, no multiplayer, and a shorter single player campaign than Ryse?

iUWDKWQcmFJt3.png

I bought HS on launch day and thought it was an awesome game. Getting the same feeling with Ryse.

Yes, it can.

Delt31

I'm torn on if I should get this. It just looks so pretty, story and setting look great and the combat looks good. Problem is I totally know the combat is going to get stagnant but I'm hoping the rest of it pulls me through.,

hmmmmmm

Looking forward to impressions .

Like I said in another thread' I am enjoying it. Once you get the timing right with the attacks and defends' it is enjoyable.

Nothing too deep, but a decent hack and slash that is just gorgeous..

I can wait to try the gladiator mode with my pals.

Bottom line, it reviewed shit, but IMO it plays well and is worth getting

Tsukumo

Ok, this game is now the official Man of steel of videogames.

Played it for four hours straight on Centurion difficulty (the highest before unlocking legendary):

- it's difficult (the good kind of "difficult") especially if you try to chain all attacks into a single combo.
-the freeflow is Arkham City level of perfection. THEY NAILED IT.
-enemies are distinguishable. Reviewers who said the opposite must have been high on mushrooms.
-the guy who came up with the quickfire button press for the pila throws should be impaled himself. How hard can you make the life for a player when you have a SINGLE GADGET TO QUICKFIRE? Tap LT and then right after RT? how about something simple like tapping RT a single time!
-visuals are a bit too pasty for me. Maybe it's my tv.
-great soundtrack, great voice acting, great characters
-love the character design: no Hollywood poster-boys and pin-up girls.
-the plot could have benefitted of a bit more dialogue to show more character interaction. When the game doesn't rush to the next fighting sequence, the actors and the screenplay do a great job. Nothing mind-blowing, but also not that train-wreck I expected.
-multiplayer is some new kind of awesome. On that front, they absolutely surpassed Rocksteady in terms of side content. Some tasks are cheesy and seem to have been put there just to pile up the number of missions, but in the end they result in a fresh approach to the combat system. Unless I find something exploitable, I'm going to play this FOREVAH.
-actually, about the exploitable techs: up until now I don't seem to find it too broken but the designers should have put a cooldown mechanic to the use of focus. It won't save you in the multiplayer but in the campaign it may have been too much of a god-mode feature. I'll see what happens when I spam it on legendary.
-executions get tiresome MY ASS! The advanced double executions especially are a sight to behold. I'm going to flood my Facebook page with this stuff!

edit: I forgot. The sound effects are spectacular.

On an "entirely" different matter:
if someone bought the alternative outfits I'd like to know if they show up in the cinematics or not. Like others I thought the game was entirely in-engine but if I get new outfits and the game jumps from one outfit to the other, I can live without a 4 euro skin.

Ok, this game is now the official Man of steel of videogames.

Played it for four hours straight on Centurion difficulty (the highest before unlocking legendary):

- it's difficult (the good kind of "difficult") especially if you try to chain all attacks into a single combo.
-the freeflow is Arkham City level of perfection. THEY NAILED IT.
-enemies are distinguishable. Reviewers who said the opposite must have been high on mushrooms.
-the guy who came up with the quickfire button press for the pila throws should be impaled himself. How hard can you make the life for a player when you have a SINGLE GADGET TO QUICKFIRE? Tap LT and then right after RT? how about something simple like tapping RT a single time!
-visuals are a bit too pasty for me. Maybe it's my tv.
-great soundtrack, great voice acting, great characters
-love the character design: no Hollywood poster-boys and pin-up girls.
-the plot could have benefitted of a bit more dialogue to show more character interaction. When the game doesn't rush to the next fighting sequence, the actors and the screenplay do a great job. Nothing mind-blowing, but also not that train-wreck I expected.
-multiplayer is some new kind of awesome. On that front, they absolutely surpassed Rocksteady in terms of side content. Some tasks are cheesy and seem to have been put there just to pile up the number of missions, but in the end they result in a fresh approach to the combat system. Unless I find something exploitable, I'm going to play this FOREVAH.
-actually, about the exploitable techs: up until now I don't seem to find it too broken but the designers should have put a cooldown mechanic to the use of focus. It won't save you in the multiplayer but in the campaign it may have been too much of a god-mode feature. I'll see what happens when I spam it on legendary.
-executions get tiresome MY ASS! The advanced double executions especially are a sight to behold. I'm going to flood my Facebook page with this stuff!

edit: I forgot. The sound effects are spectacular.

On an "entirely" different matter:
if someone bought the alternative outfits I'd like to know if they show up in the cinematics or not. Like others I thought the game was entirely in-engine but if I get new outfits and the game jumps from one outfit to the other, I can live without a 4 euro skin.

Thanks for the impressions. I got mine waiting in the car.

Top Bottom