• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

malfcn

Not sure what the ppl who said the game was 5 hours were talking about
Ive been playing 4 hours and am only 38% done

Easiest difficulty and didn't search for jack shit most likely. When I play I smash everything and poke every corner.

Argh, I was putting all my valor in the little things, and somehow ignore the biig box for executions. So far I haven't really had a valor/gold problem either, no temptation to buy into real money perks.

After playing through KZ and Forza Ryse is definitely the best looking game of the bunch but damn is it boring. Anyone that mentions this thing in the same sentence as GOW, Batman or hell even Assassins Creed is delusional. We were laughing and hollering the first hour. 1 hour later.....Time for some more Forza

Whilst these look seriously impressive, they still don't match the level of fidelity seen in some of the cut scene screenshots such as this one.

ivIIAbkNW4dJ8.png

You're comparing high quality pics to low quality... There are zero differences between cutscene models and gameplay models for all characters. That's what makes these kinds of statements so strange. They will simply be more expressive in cutscenes because they need to be. That said, the executions show off some pretty solid expressions, too.

Obviously. It was an observation based on what I had. I'm happy to be proven wrong once you guys get some direct feed captures going.

Well, that's true. It's just your observation based on what you were provided. Man, I'm tired. Headed off to bed. I want to play this game so bad :(

I am entertained. Seriously, this game is a lot of fun. Repetitive, but fun. Also, it's the best looking next gen game out. Slightly beating out Killzone and NBA 2k14.

nib95

Banned
Well, that's true. It's just your observation based on what you were provided. Man, I'm tired. Headed off to bed. I want to play this game so bad :(

By the way, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Don't know the exact details, but just want to let you know my thoughts are with you. Chin up and all the best.

Getting close-ups on people is very hard in this game, but i just compared Marius's father and they look the same. Next up is vitallion.

Don't lose hope man, you will get it sooner than you think.

malfcn

Will rep this game with an avatar.
Repetitive, but still entertaining. The combat can still be challenging on higher difficulties, almost like Arkham.

Eoin

I caved and bought it, actually really enjoying it. I'm about half way through the story so far, if this doesn't take a nose dive soon, this got very harshly received. The setting and story are cool, the facial animation and voice acting some of the best i've seen in a game. The combat is fun and challenging on the harder difficulty and its beautiful.

Pistolero

Seen the first two chapters of the game on a good samsung panel, and not as impressed as a lot of you, folks. The ennemies' models are quite low poly, the animations average -at best- and some areas look rather bland. Not going to comment on the gameplay since the console's owner held to his pad like a prisoner to a lamp in the darkest of pits, but from the look of it, it's bad...

Ive been pleasantly surprised by this game. Only an hour and a half on, but centurion is a good balance between hard and not too hard. We'll see if I get bored of it, but I'm liking what I'm seeing thus far as a blend of visuals, audio, and story.

I knew it would draw a comment.
Ryse is no where as deep as the flow in Arkham, but it is similar.
This title has potential I feel though. What if Ryse 2 was like AC2.

It would be a 1000 times better than it is now but being that Crytek is awful at crafting engaging experiences I don't think its likely. I would love that though.

OnPoint

I played a bunch of this today. It is really nice looking.

I did not enjoy the action. I played for about 1.5 hours and just... didn't like it. Ah well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Easiest difficulty and didn't search for jack shit most likely. When I play I smash everything and poke every corner.

Argh, I was putting all my valor in the little things, and somehow ignore the biig box for executions. So far I haven't really had a valor/gold problem either, no temptation to buy into real money perks.

After playing through KZ and Forza Ryse is definitely the best looking game of the bunch but damn is it boring. Anyone that mentions this thing in the same sentence as GOW, Batman or hell even Assassins Creed is delusional. We were laughing and hollering the first hour. 1 hour later.....Time for some more Forza

Yeah, that GoW reference has its limits. GoW set standards for action games, thus making it a milestone. All I see and hear about Ryse is how the combat goes nowhere. Granted I don't own an XB1. This is the first time I've skipped getting an XB console on launch. I'm pretty sure the console will get its "action game" just how Xbox got Ninja Gaiden.

Tsukumo

Can anyone confirm that executions get even more gruesome and brutal as you level them up? I read a review where it talked about an execution where you hack off every limb on an enemy, and their head. Are these real? Wonder why we have not seen decapitation/multiple limb hacking.

Never gets to God of War level, but yeah they get more brutal in some cases. The general tendency is to be more spectacular, especially the double executions. If you really want gore and deeper mechanics you should play Shadow of Rome on ps2.

your friend went out and bought a copy of Ryse, knowing that he was going to get his copy just a day later, and Calls it the best game he has ever played. Even though the game is getting 5/10 across the board...

somehow I would take your friends opinion with a grain of salt...

and yet you are a guy with a Killzone avatar who doesn't have the game and comes in here to stir trouble. Your opinion should also be taken with a grain of salt.
In case you didn't notice the thread got split with a review-dedicated one because this thread got saturated with fanboys who came here with the only purpose to bash the game. Play Ryse and give us your opinion, or get out.

I was watching a live stream earlier today where they couldn't get a MP game going because there wasn't anyone playing. Honestly, regardless of reviews, I'd expect more people to be playing this game because it looks appealing to people who aren't super on top of all the coverage.

Bogus. There's plenty of people and connection is good. You get into multi fast and lag, considered the game gives wide windows of button pressing and player responsiveness, lag is present but doesn't impair the mechanics. The only situation when lag becomes an issue is if you want to repel every single arrow xD

Not sure what the ppl who said the game was 5 hours were talking about
Ive been playing 4 hours and am only 38% done
And I'm only on soldier difficulty

Around the same for me. I will admit that I go look for collectibles, though not obsessively. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you actually can browse those collectibles (I don't know why). Vistas, scrolls... you would think they unlock panoramas and texts but... they don't. I think they just give you Valor points.

The devs at Rocksteady weep.

I have first place on almost all of the combat maps on Arkham City on PS3 and the top three on basically every map on 360 (with Batman, Robin and Catwoman, Nightwing is glitched so I gave up on him). I also had first place on most maps on Origins (PS3), but I haven't checked in a week. You can look for Tsukumo76 gt/sen id.
I think I'm qualified to say this game is Arkham City level of perfection in terms of fighting mechanics. It's also more challenging.
So there's that. If you like the Arkham games you have to have this game.

The combat is actually quite a bit better than I thought it would be, and when you get into a flow it feels pretty awesome. Not quite Arkham good but it's not bad at all.

And man is this game beautiful. Best looking game so far on either system.

Anyway, glad I gave this a chance. Between this and Knack, reviewers were way too damn hard on these launch games.

The combat is actually quite a bit better than I thought it would be, and when you get into a flow it feels pretty awesome. Not quite Arkham good but it's not bad at all.

And man is this game beautiful. Best looking game so far on either system.

Anyway, glad I gave this a chance. Between this and Knack, reviewers were way too damn hard on these launch games.

Agreed. It's repetative and not particularly memorable (outside of looking absolutely stunning) but it's hardly worth the scorn heaped upon it.

I have played much much worse games that don't earn half the of the scorn.

Currently writing this whislt snapped playing Ryse! Im having a lot of fun with this game, its definatley not a 6. I would say around a 7-8.

Unity2012

Currently writing this whislt snapped playing Ryse! Im having a lot of fun with this game, its definatley not a 6. I would say around a 7-8.

I am really enjoying the game. I would definitely give it a 7 or 7.5. It is a launch game; it suffers from "learning curve of new hardware" vs "time."

Learning to tie combos took me a while, hard enough to make me go from Centurion back to Soldier. I also want to learn how to use Focus and Gain better. I have only played a couple chapters but I can see myself coming back for more at a higher difficulty where perks and other features are reduced and the enemies harder.

Add the MP Gladiator mode and co-op and I'm happy to own it

Plus, Good Gee, this game is Stunning.

Servbot24

Banned
I knew it would draw a comment.
Ryse is no where as deep as the flow in Arkham, but it is similar.
This title has potential I feel though. What if Ryse 2 was like AC2.

What if it was like an early game from last gen? Never thought we'd be fondly remembering the gameplay from AssCreed. :/

abracadaver

How do you get the day one exclusive map if you dont buy the day one version of the game ?

Is it included in the season pass ?

For some strange reasons, some sections i cannot record. I took some off-screen camera shots to compare, i guess these are better than nothing until they patch in a screenshot feature:

[I
MG]http://i.minus.com/ijUqM8yxQtSyD.JPG[/IMG]

Nero looks absolutely the same as in the cutscenes.

iPUlaKPkfJq6T.jpg

iNpqgnuEVoidD.JPG

Marius looks the same too, i don't know why people said he is different?

They look a bit dissatisfied...Probably wish they had a deeper role to play as well.

Apath

Hey, it's nowhere near as nuanced as the best in the genre but it plays well and, unlike Ryse, delivers incredible variety in level design. It's a well made series.
Someone needs to post some combo videos. I thought it was mindless square, square, square, triangle until watching one of those videos. It's absolutely crazy what you can do.

Delt31

I'm really glad I bought this game. Ended up picking it up right at launch. Maybe because I love 300 and this type of setting but are people crazy? Yes it's straight forward but man is the story been well played out this far including some amazing motion capture both speaking and action and the music,etc. It feels like a movie. Prob give it a high 7.

It's def a launch title but ms has a solid foundation to build on.

I'm into chapter 4. For those that are getting legendary rating on kills any tips? Same with perfect chains as the combat although relatively straight forward is still challenging yet rewarding when you time right.

jem0208

This game is definitely the Knack of the Xbox One.

Reviewed very poorly but seems like most people playing it are enjoying it.

pixlexic

Banned
Just wanted to say that Ryse is the only game from the xbone or ps4 that made me say "HOLY SHIT" when seeing it in motion. Make you realize just what these console are going to be able to do in the future.

p3tran

Banned
I have first place on almost all of the combat maps on Arkham City on PS3 and the top three on basically every map on 360 (with Batman, Robin and Catwoman, Nightwing is glitched so I gave up on him). I also had first place on most maps on Origins (PS3), but I haven't checked in a week. You can look for Tsukumo76 gt/sen id.
I think I'm qualified to say this game is Arkham City level of perfection in terms of fighting mechanics. It's also more challenging.
So there's that. If you like the Arkham games you have to have this game.

dang! I knew my armchair analysis skills never fail me, but reading this...
now I am EVEN MORE PISSED AT AMAZON FUCKING UP MY WEEKEND!!!

I'll be joining you guys on Monday! swords up! 8)

Mononoke

Banned
dang! I knew my armchair analysis skills never fail me, but reading this...
now I am EVEN MORE PISSED AT AMAZON FUCKING UP MY WEEKEND!!!

I'll be joining you guys on Monday! swords up! 8)

I don't think anyone was criticizing the combat mechanics, rather the level/game design. If it's just wave killing after wave killing, that's not really a fair comparison to the Arkham games which had a lot of puzzles, gadgets and different ways of killing enemies. The Arkham games would have been terrible if the entire game was Batman going to a new room and only doing physical attacks over and over.

p3tran

Banned
yes, its pretty obvious that ryse is an old-school brawler. I mean, anybody with even one semi-working eye can see that.

my only worry was that the fight mechanics were FLAWED and BROKEN as it was tooted thousands of times. you saying <<I don't think anyone was criticizing the combat mechanics>> means you where not reading these boards the past few months....
watching various videos I could never find it to agree to that, but Tsukumo above just puts the things about where I expected them to be.

next week is going to be so low on productivity, its not even funny 8)

Not sure how to get bigger amazing screenshots with my capture card. They usually turn out looking compressed versus the video. Here are a few though.

haqPBXnl.jpg

Rb8Ug1Vl.jpg

KRixHCtl.jpg

3knEOmDl.jpg

KKRT00

Slasher whats Your setup? What are You using on PC?

You can just take screenshots with FRAPS from capture card application.

And upload PNGs to minus.com

Slasher whats Your setup? What are You using on PC?

You can just take screenshots with FRAPS from capture card application.

And upload PNGs to minus.com

How do you share a file on skydrive? I experienced a problem recording yesterday, but i think it's fixed now. I have a closeup of Marius.

Top Bottom