• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Baker

Banned
I made a snide bitch earlier, but is anyone else unable to load quicksaves? F7 does nothing like previously suggested in the thread. Also if I die or go to the main menu and select load game, it lets me choose the quicksave file but subsequently clicking on Load does absolutely nothing.

Also, after switching to static light, my reticle became completely glitched. It would just stay as the four lines, one of which was composed of a bunch of dots. Aiming at an enemy would not narrow the target into a point like it did when I was using dynamic.

If no one has any suggestions, I guess I'll just try a reinstall + patch and see if that fixes anything.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Baker said:
I made a snide bitch earlier, but is anyone else unable to load quicksaves? F7 does nothing like previously suggested in the thread. Also if I die or go to the main menu and select load game, it lets me choose the quicksave file but subsequently clicking on Load does absolutely nothing.

Also, after switching to static light, my reticle became completely glitched. It would just stay as the four lines, one of which was composed of a bunch of dots. Aiming at an enemy would not narrow the target into a point like it did when I was using dynamic.

If no one has any suggestions, I guess I'll just try a reinstall + patch and see if that fixes anything.

If your windows username has a space, stalker quicksaves won't load.

Magicked

Baker said:

Do you have spaces in your username? If so, I thought that was supposed to mess up quickloading. I don't have any issues what-so-ever with using F7, so I'm not too sure.

No idea about the other issue. I would definitely try reinstalling and patching. Hopefully you're not too far into the game...

In other news, last night I used the FOV widescreen hack posted a few pages back and it works perfectly, even in multiplayer. It makes the game feel much better. :)

Baker

Banned
EviLore said:
If your windows username has a space, stalker quicksaves won't load.

Why thank you, that would be the problem right there.

Magicked said:
No idea about the other issue. I would definitely try reinstalling and patching. Hopefully you're not too far into the game...

Yeah don't worry, one doesn't get too far playing on Veteran and not being able to load saves, hehe.

Solo

Im in the same boat as you, but Ive stopped quicksaving and been doing things the old fashioned way - saving and loading from the main menu. Annoying, yes, but it works.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So, I've restarted the game to take advantage of the patch, and now that I've got the hidden merc suit in the first village, I thought I'd take a stroll down the road and destroy the military base.

Bad move.

Rocket launchers, mines, pissed-off mutant dogs, flanking soldiers. I'm taking my newfound AKM and leaving. Still, it's nice having a weapon this good so early on.

Oh, and I'm playing on a higher difficulty now. Holy cripes, the AI is pretty damn amazing.

Magicked

Chiggs said:
Oh, and I'm playing on a higher difficulty now. Holy cripes, the AI is pretty damn amazing.

Yea, I'll be starting on a higher difficulty when I get home from work. I'm preparing myself for a good ole fashioned ass-beating. :D

so, you cant quick save in Stalker? ive been going into the menu and just manually saving

and is there anyway to update the game without ruining your saves? is it worth it? im not too far into the game, maybe only 2-3 hours

Chiggs

Gold Member
Linkzg said:
so, you cant quick save in Stalker? ive been going into the menu and just manually saving

and is there anyway to update the game without ruining your saves? is it worth it? im not too far into the game, maybe only 2-3 hours

F6 is quicksave, and F7 is to load your previous quicksave. And if I were you, I'd patch it up. Unfortunately, you'll have to start over.

sado

Y'know, things break...
Anyone have this problem with the latest patch yet (1.0001)?

stalkerpatchbs.jpg

Yet I have yet to see a digital distribution patch. Got the game over Direct2Drive

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
sado | AggravatedGamers said:
Anyone have this problem with the latest patch yet (1.0001)?

stalkerpatchbs.jpg

Yet I have yet to see a digital distribution patch. Got the game over Direct2Drive

Most D2D games require special patches that show up on the D2D page a day or two after the normal patch.

Chiggs said:
F6 is quicksave, and F7 is to load your previous quicksave. And if I were you, I'd patch it up. Unfortunately, you'll have to start over.

I guess I will, atleast ill have my Stalker suit from the start

NOOO! the stalker suit at the start changed to a merc suit

Chiggs

Gold Member
Linkzg said:
I guess I will, atleast ill have my Stalker suit from the start

NOOO! the stalker suit at the start changed to a merc suit

It was a Stalker suit before? Oh, and all suits supposedly degrade now. Sorry the patch hasn't been kind to you. :(

Chiggs said:
It was a Stalker suit before? Oh, and all suits supposedly degrade now. Sorry the patch hasn't been kind to you. :(

yeah, I noticed it degrading durring the first trader job you get

the trader does have better weapons to buy, which is good, when you first talk to him he has that SMG with a grenade launcher on it, but you cant afford it at the time

I'm not so keen on the whole armour degrading thing. It wouldn't be so bad if there were ways to repair the stuff, but there isn't. It's not such a big deal with the guns because they are plentiful and there aren't that many "special" ones, but armour...it's hard to come by. My first play through (resulting in a crappy ending) i found some kickass armour around 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through and used it right up till the ending. I know i won't be able to do that now, and that just kind of bothers me.

Anyone else having Vista crash issues still? Well I found this post on the NVidia forums that holds a fix, and damn if it didn't fix the crashing instantly.

EDIT: I'll just crosspost what I wrote on another forum for detailed instructions.

- (You'll need to be an Administrator)
- First, you'll need to grab and install Visual Studio C++ Express from Microsoft. It's free so don't sweat it.
- Once installed, you'll need to update it.
- Backup the XR_3DA.exe file. Just in case.
- Start -> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition -> Visual Studio Tools -> Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt
- Navigate to your STALKER directory.
- "editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE XR_3DA.exe" ENTER. Should come up with a Microsoft copyright or trademark thingy. This means success. Check the modified date/time on your XR_3DA.exe to make sure.
- "BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072" ENTER. Should say "Operation Completed Successfully" or something similar.
- Make sure that your RAM + Virtual Memory total is over 3 gigs.
- Restart Vista.

Play etc. According to the nVidia forum guy, it works with Securom and NoDVD editions. Not the Starforce one. D2D unknown. When you patch, you'll need to replace the edited .exe with the original one, then repeat the process for the new one.

Sinatar

Borys said:
So can anyone explain to me what does the abbr. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mean?

They revealed that a week or so before it released and is a list of the things you do in the game.

Scavenger
Trespasser
Adventurer
Loner
Killer
Explorer
Robber

Sounds like something pulled out of their ass. Alot of the game is influenced by a book called "Roadside Picnic" that had a similar premise and had characters called Stalkers who roamed the zone. I guess they wanted that but not wanting to be sued turned it into a shitty acronym.

Zenith

Banned
neuroticphil said:
I'm not so keen on the whole armour degrading thing. It wouldn't be so bad if there were ways to repair the stuff, but there isn't. It's not such a big deal with the guns because they are plentiful and there aren't that many "special" ones, but armour...it's hard to come by. My first play through (resulting in a crappy ending) i found some kickass armour around 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through and used it right up till the ending. I know i won't be able to do that now, and that just kind of bothers me.

I know, they should at least let you pull armour off dead bodies like you can do guns. it sucks how the give you an exo suit in the very last level, right when you can't wear it because of the radiation.

does anyone know where you can find an M203 grenade launcher for the NATO rifles? there were also pics of an AK type rifle with an extended barrel+bipod but I never came across it. ditto for the over-and-under shotgun.

Zenith said:
it sucks how the give you an exo suit in the very last level, right when you can't wear it because of the radiation.

There is one in the city-level before it too, an upgraded version no less, you'll need to get one of those "stash-announcements" though.

So how do you know if you got the true or false endings?

I went into the secret lab and found that hologram, then I agreed to join the C-Consciousness or something.

And does anyone know where I can find the scope for the VLA rifle?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wow, this game is awesome! And I here I was expecting a load of crap...

Just one question, how I am supposed to jump higher? I am trying to access some crates inside of a truck, but my character is a wimp.

OatmealMu

Funky Papa said:
Wow, this game is awesome! And I here I was expecting a load of crap...

Just one question, how I am supposed to jump higher? I am trying to access some crates inside of a truck, but my character is a wimp.

You need the Nike anomaly.

Seriously, though, some jumps are hit or miss.

So finished it, in retrospect I probably shouldn't have rushed the last bit. Once I turned off the brain scorcher I just stuck to getting to the end. I didn't get an exo suit which probably made killing all those monolith guys much harder.

endings:
Well I found 3, first was making a secret wish at the monolith, I wished to be rich then gold coins fell from the air, then u realise it's an illusion as the metal falls ontop of your dude. 2 was joining the C and getting plugged in, goes to the doctor wondering where u are. 3 tell the C to **** off kill them all, go through teleport land, end up lying in grass, in an area that seems free of radiation, as if destroying C restored much of the zone to normality or something. Not fully sure wtf it mean't the nice ending.

time to patch and try again. This time doing the freedom and duty stuff.

Slo

What the hell. I played for two hours last night and just realized that not only did I not complete any quests or make any progress whatsoever, but I didn't even really try. :lol

Zenith

Banned
Confidence Man said:
So how do you know if you got the true or false endings?

I went into the secret lab and found that hologram, then I agreed to join the C-Consciousness or something.

"best" ending is going to the secret lab and refusing to join C. imo the best is when you crawl into the reactor and see the wishgranter.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was wondering, how do I turn on the parallax mapping? Please don't tell me that I have to switch on the dynamic lighting, that option ruins the performace =(

Chiggs

Gold Member
Funky Papa said:
I was wondering, how do I turn on the parallax mapping? Please don't tell me that I have to switch on the dynamic lighting, that option ruins the performace =(

You can turn on Object Dynamic Lighting.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Funky Papa said:
Oh well, I hope that won't set my rig on fire.

Turn down the grass, turn down the shadows, then turn on Object Dynamic Lighting. You should be alright. Should.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Poop. Everything is smooth on high with dynamic lights off, but as soon as I switch on the ODL everything goes down the shitter. Aniso is superlow, texture detail on medium, shadows at minimum, no FSAA, grass at 25% or so and yet the game runs at less than 30 fps with dips below 20 everytime there's some action or too many objets. Looks like no dynamic lighting for me at all, which is a shame, since the game looks much better with it =(

Well this is weird, if I start the game with minimum settings and then change to medium the game runs fine if I start with medium the game gets so freaking slow. Also how I do dodge bolt anomalies? I have to cross a tunnel filled with them.

Sinatar

There is also a hole in the fence to the right of the army base you can use to get by as well if you don't want to fight them.

EekTheKat

I'm not sure how I feel about this game....I love the concept, the artwork...but I'm not too fond of the execution.

Also I'm getting major Counterstrike flashbacks when I'm playing this game for some reason :lol

I hope someone does a camera mod for this game, an RE4/Gears type camera would be pretty interesting to play with.

On another note, there are in fact 3rd person cameras already in game - though none of them are playable by any means. They're just there to look at your character basically.

Put this in your user.ltx if it's missing.

bind cam_1 kF1
bind cam_2 kF2
bind cam_3 kF3

could someone tell me where to find the exo suit, I totally missed it when I finished the game. Starting over with the patch now, don't want to miss it again.

MrPing1000 said:
Well I spent the last 30% of the game in the green scientist suit, I'd like something better this time.

Sorry, I meant he'd be better off without the patch.

There's an exosuit hidden in the sarcophagus. Look for a shaft with a ladder going down. And there's another one in a stash somewhere in Pripyat I think, but I never found it.

Zenith

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
Well I spent the last 30% of the game in the green scientist suit, I'd like something better this time.

some stash in Pripyat. the one in Chernobyl can't be used as it's impossible to carry enough anti-rad meds to survive till the end.

Confidence Man said:

I don't think there is a scope avaliable for the VLA, but you can find the Vintlar BC which is the scoped version with single fire and a smaller mag in the second freedom sleep house on the left when you enter it.

Found a guitar, is there any use for it?

I had a muck around and helped freedom take out the duty guys which was simple enough, but all hell breaks loose when you try and go back to the bar D:

Top Bottom