• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

obonicus

For people who are playing early, have you been able to download your created characters from the community option? With me it just keeps telling me I have no characters to download, but saintsrow.com disagrees. None of them are public, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

TheExodu5

Banned
What's the co-op like in this game? Considering getting the game, but if I were to go for co-op, I'd have to convince a friend as well.

UrbanRats

Adnor said:
yeswlea3.png
Hell yes! :D
What steam UI is that? :eek:

Adnor said:
Wait, we do? I was sure the TF2 items were only for pre-ordering on Steam.
Or do you mean the items of TF2 on SR:TT?

spk said:
I thought we got the preorder items but not the Steam exclusive TF2 gear

Now I'm not sure. But I think the case with this is that it counts as a Steam preorder. I may be wrong though.

UrbanRats said:
What steam UI is that? :eek:

There are three logos under your profile pic, mess around with them.

EDIT: Whoops my fault, I have the same UI so didn't realize it was different.

spk

Prophet Steve said:
Now I'm not sure. But I think the case with this is that it counts as a Steam preorder. I may be wrong though.

There are three logos under your profile pic, mess around with them.
Yes - a Steam preorder because it's a Steamworks title but not something preordered through Steam, which is where the TF2 items come in

Stitch

Gold Member
hmmm i can't start the game without the VPN :/ clicking the exe files still gives me a preload message.

Artadius

Stitch said:
hmmm i can't start the game without the VPN :/ clicking the exe files still gives me a preload message.

Don't use the game launcher .exe

use the dx11.exe

If that doesn't work, connect to the vpn, restart steam, switch to offline mode, disconnect vpn, play game, go back online after NA launch time.

spk said:
Yes - a Steam preorder because it's a Steamworks title but not something preordered through Steam, which is where the TF2 items come in
It has the same requirements for both bonusses. I think it's not included on GmG since it was added later.

Fox318

spk said:
But for Red Orchestra 2 people who ordered on GMG got the tf2 items.

I'm hoping that the same is for Saints Row 3.

Fox318 said:

Didn't get it for Deus Ex. I wonder what the requirement is...not that it matters since TF2 has run its course for me..

Nelo Ice

Banned
Fox318 said:

I think the difference with RO2 was that any deluxe edition key got tf2 hats where as deus ex and saints row u had to preorder directly from steam to get the hats.

And I checked already, did not get tf2 hats from saints row.

v0mitg0d

First Impressions

Note: I've played roughly 4 hours of the single-player game (not coop). This is not a review but my short-and-sweet first impressions . Also: the fun is going to be overused in my description of the game. :)

Graphics
This game looks a lot better than SR1 and SR2, but graphically speaking I don't think SR3 is going to blow anyone away. Technically Volition has managed to smooth things out. There is now more of a steady frame rate, more post processing effects going on, less screen tearing and the animations are better. Overall, it's just more interesting to watch.

What is also wonderful is the wackiness of the game spills out into the overall look and feel of the game. There is a lot of great and wildly fun things going on with the UI; Each mission complete screen is a dramatic screen cap of the action. Every activity seems to have it's own little animation and graphic style.

Sitting back after playing it for a few hours, I realize there was one thought that kept popping into my head about the graphics: Saints Row The Third looks more like GTA4 (graphically!) than I thought it would. The texturing of the streets now look like they have potholes, nicks and are degrading from ware. I seem to remember SR1/SR2 having streets looking like plastic bags taped together. Whatever that means. The point is, the game looks better but it's still lot Skyrim, or even GTA4 (but close).

Also: The UI is snappier and cleaner in design than its predecessors.

Gameplay
I've been focusing on purchasing property and some side stuff to build up my cash flow first so I haven't had too much time with the SP portion, but what I've seen is a lot more interesting and fun to play. The script is now legitimately funny at times, and other times it can be a bit boring and drabble on.

The main mechanic is the leveling system that unlocks more abilities. This level system is based off of respect, which is gathered by doing just about anything that's considered violent or juvenile. :)

The side stuff is great! One of my favorites so far is the Insurance Fraud where you run around trying to rack up as many points in damage (to yourself) as possible. This is done by hitting one of the shoulder buttons, which makes you ragdoll, and then watching your character bounce around a free and rack up cash. So. much. fun.

The Mayhem missions consist of you driving a tank around town and blowing stuff up as you build a multiplies racking up cash.

There are a few more that are also great but, whatever, just go get this game, turn your brain off and enjoy.

Oh and for those that might be curious: The cussing is still there but it's not as aggressively gratuitous as the previous ones. Oh and the use of Kanye West's Power is perfect--you'll see.

Questions? Shoot!

Stitch

Gold Member
Artadius said:
Don't use the game launcher .exe

use the dx11.exe

If that doesn't work, connect to the vpn, restart steam, switch to offline mode, disconnect vpn, play game, go back online after NA launch time.

just started it quickly with VPN and disconnected again when i got into the game. now I have the game running in the background until it will get released in 2 hours ^^

Salacious Crumb

Uriah said:
8 hours? It took me 25 minutes.

It'd take me about an hour at max speed, but no matter what region I try it just fluctuates between 200-400KB/s. Downloading off of websites nets me the expected 2MB/s but steam is being awful to me today.

Fox318

Nelo Ice said:
I think the difference with RO2 was that any deluxe edition key got tf2 hats where as deus ex and saints row u had to preorder directly from steam to get the hats.

And I checked already, did not get tf2 hats from saints row.
Aww shit. :(

Had I know that the game would have had tf2 items I wouldn't have ordered it on GMG.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Salacious Crumb said:
It'd take me about an hour at max speed, but no matter what region I try it just fluctuates between 200-400KB/s. Downloading off of websites nets me the expected 2MB/s but steam is being awful to me today.

You can try switching which server steam uses to download by going to the Steam/Settings/Downloads and Cloud.

You need to restart steam to have it use the new download server.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see you already tried different regions. With me, when Steam gives me shit download speeds, every region does as well.

Some days Steam gives me 4MB/s, other days it gives me 200k/s. There's no rhyme nor reason to why this happens. I can get 4-5mb/s from other websites while this is happening as well.

I'm in San Francisco on Comcast, btw.

TimeKillr

Woohoo, the France VyprVPN server works and it'll unlock in an hour (just about the time I need to pre-load the game anyway!)

Awesome. :)

Ploid 3.0

rac said:
Anyway I can use the VPN trick? Is their any risk in doing that?

Didn't work for me, going to wait it out, may need to download. This was my first time pre downloading on steam. It was stuck at 39% or seemed stuck so I exited and tried again. May have messed something up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
v0mitg0d said:
First Impressions
Gameplay
I've been focusing on purchasing property and some side stuff to build up my cash flow first so I haven't had too much time with the SP portion, but what I've seen is a lot more interesting and fun to play. The script is now legitimately funny at times, and other times it can be a bit boring and drabble on.

The main mechanic is the leveling system that unlocks more abilities. This level system is based off of respect, which is gathered by doing just about anything that's considered violent or juvenile. :)

The side stuff is great! One of my favorites so far is the Insurance Fraud where you run around trying to rack up as many points in damage (to yourself) as possible. This is done by hitting one of the shoulder buttons, which makes you ragdoll, and then watching your character bounce around a free and rack up cash. So. much. fun.

The Mayhem missions consist of you driving a tank around town and blowing stuff up as you build a multiplies racking up cash.

There are a few more that are also great but, whatever, just go get this game, turn your brain off and enjoy.

Oh and for those that might be curious: The cussing is still there but it's not as aggressively gratuitous as the previous ones. Oh and the use of Kanye West's Power is perfect--you'll see.
Questions? Shoot!

How is the gunplay/shooting mechanics,is it close to RFG?

Also what about the Driving/cars handling, is it loosey goosey like GTA3/SA or snappy like Driver SF/Burnout Paradise?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Couple of hours till it's done installing. I want to jump straight in to it but I promised my partner that we'd play through it together. She has an exam in 24 hours and it's been torture for her to only touch Skyrim here or there because she's loved Elder Scrolls since Morrowind. I can't imagine what it would be like to see me playing the craziest game ever created.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gamestop emailed me my season pass key, but it doesn't work. Anyone with early thq.com got their codes to work?

Top Bottom