• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

TimeKillr

Well my French VPN works beautifully. :) I'm currently decrypting the game.

If anybody has Giganews Diamond (or VyprVPN) you can use that VPN to decrypt it.

Mystic654

I currently have the 360 version Pre-Order. I just wonder has any of the reviews said if the framerate holds? I heard some say PS3 performs a little better is their any truth to this?

If the 360 & PS3 is on par with one another or even close to one another, Their is no reason to switch to the PS3 Version.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Well, this is a breath of fresh air.

I know - it's GTA. But, it is so ridiculous, insane, and hilarious that I can't help but be impressed. Gaming has been quite stoic and serious over the last few years. A lot of gritty, snarling protagonists and their 'sexy' sidekicks, in 'realistic' settings. SR3 is just complete and total lunacy. Metatextual, postmodern (which is actually referenced in the dialogue), and for a change, a game that is genuinely witty. Also, while the color palette heavily favours purple, the game is a technicolor marvel.

The PC version runs fine. I've had no problems. In fact, it's quite a demanding game in DX10/11 - I am running it on medium, and I'm getting fairly consistent framerates, although there is a little bit of stuttering. Still, it's nothing like the abomination of SR2, and for a cross-platform title, has a reasonably advanced array of configuration options.

So, I like it. I've been enjoying Skyrim quite a bit (like everyone else), but I will definitely be putting some serious hours into this title.

If any of you were on the fence regarding format - the PC version is fine. Tread confidently, Gaf.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Optimus Lime said:
The PC version runs fine. I've had no problems. In fact, it's quite a demanding game in DX10/11 - I am running it on medium, and I'm getting fairly consistent framerates, although there is a little bit of stuttering. Still, it's nothing like the abomination of SR2, and for a cross-platform title, has a reasonably advanced array of configuration options.

So, I like it. I've been enjoying Skyrim quite a bit (like everyone else), but I will definitely be putting some serious hours into this title.

If any of you were on the fence regarding format - the PC version is fine. Tread confidently, Gaf.

Unlike SR2 port ( ported by the Witcher guys) Volition made this one and it's not a port since it was developed simultaneously with the other version in-house.

RFA PC version was the definitive version ( still a bad game) and it look like it's the same with SR3 so 2/2 for Volition.

it's nothing like the abomination of SR2,

Gentlemen of the Row mod fixed that bad port, seriously.

mxgt

Banned
Volition have redeemed themselves with this PC version. Runs great, looks great, controls great with m/kb

Game is fun as fuck too.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
mxgt said:
Volition have redeemed themselves with this PC version. Runs great, looks great, controls great with m/kb

Game is fun as fuck too.

Tell me more, I assume the menu designed for the controller ? is it easy to go through them with keyboard and mouse?

mxgt

Banned
Totobeni said:
Tell me more, I assume the menu designed for the controller ? is it easy to go through them with keyboard and mouse?

If anything it's much quicker and more fluid to navigate the menus and phone with a mouse.

It's really nice.

OneLetter

mxgt said:

Game is fun as fuck too.
I'm really glad to hear that the PC is running great for all of you. The PC team here put in a lot of work to make it run well across a variety of systems. Remember to update your video card drivers as well! Many people forget this and it's a quick thing to do that generally helps a ton.

Also, small heads up for those picking up the game tonight on 360. The codes will not actually go live until approximately 1AM PST / 4AM EST for the co-op code or Genki code. Once MS does their weekly update, all the codes will go live, and then you'll be able to play with your co-op partner and start shooting civilians everywhere with the manapult. Note that PC and PS3 codes should already be working.

Autofokus

How's the co-op? I don't need details, just how it is handled. Are there limitations? It is possible to just invite a friend and play the whole story/campaign together?

mxgt

Banned
OneLetter said:
I'm really glad to hear that the PC is running great for all of you. The PC team here put in a lot of work to make it run well across a variety of systems. Remember to update your video card drivers as well! Many people forget this and it's a quick thing to do that generally helps a ton.

Also, small heads up for those picking up the game tonight on 360. The codes will not actually go live until approximately 1AM PST / 4AM EST for the co-op code or Genki code. Once MS does their weekly update, all the codes will go live, and then you'll be able to play with your co-op partner and start shooting civilians everywhere with the manapult. Note that PC and PS3 codes should already be working.

Hey quick question, I ordered the PC digital version from THQ and activated on Steam, how do I access the genki and season pass stuff? they show on my order page but there's no codes associated with them so I'm not sure how it works exactly

Thanks

Retrofluxed

mxgt said:
Hey quick question, I ordered the PC digital version from THQ and activated on Steam, how do I access the genki and season pass stuff? they show on my order page but there's no codes associated with them so I'm not sure how it works exactly

Thanks

You got a key? When did you buy your copy?

jediyoshi

mxgt said:
You can double check if they're on your account by right clicking the game on the list in Steam, properties, checking the DLC tab.

OneLetter

mxgt said:

Thanks
From what I've heard, they'll be sending the codes at midnight. It's all up to them though, I have no control over the THQ Store.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Do you need to be in offline mode for the VPN thing? I had issues with it before due to that.

mxgt

Banned
God damn there's so many things to upgrade. My kind of game.

Also jumping on random peoples backs and sliding across the pavement on them like a skateboard is hilarious

DrBo42

So far the only things that bum me out are being unable to switch which shoulder you fire from (to effectively fire around corners) and the driving is a bit too stiff and controlled. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it doesn't seem like you can drift or powerslide through a turn.. It's either something where the backend momentum isn't part of the driving model or the e-brake is designed oddly.

OneLetter

DrBo42 said:
So far the only things that bum me out are being unable to switch which shoulder you fire from (to effectively fire around corners) and the driving is a bit too stiff and controlled. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it doesn't seem like you can drift or powerslide through a turn.. It's either something where the backend momentum isn't part of the driving model or the e-brake is designed oddly.

Use the "A" button, or the equivalent on PC (forgot what it is, I play with 360 pad on PC). We have a specific button just for drifting while driving.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm going to break my vows and plow through the game by myself. Been looking forward to playing this game for months and to have it sitting there ready to go on Steam without being touched goes against all moral codes I stand for.

DrBo42

OneLetter said:
Use the "A" button, or the equivalent on PC (forgot what it is, I play with 360 pad on PC). We have a specific button just for drifting while driving.
Ah, I see what you mean now. You really have to hold the handbrake down and accelerate through. That's what was throwing me off. Cheers.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
OneLetter said:

OneLetter - it's great that you're here to answer questions from the community. I love the game. Two hours in, and it is amazingly fun. Probably rivaling Just Cause 2 for my favourite GTA-style sandbox of all time.

Just a couple of questions:

I'm getting a little bit of staggering in outdoors areas. My machine is an i7@2.93ghz, 8gig ram, and a 5970, running on a Velociraptor drive. Could this be an issue with AMD drivers, or should I simply be lowering my settings?

I'm actually quite blown away by how well your individually created character seamlessly enters cutscenes and the game world. Brilliant stuff.

whyman

Im getting horrible framerates. Even on Low the game slows down when too much stuff is blowing up. (and thats all the time in SR3) Got 4 gig of ram, 2.3 ghz quad core and a GTX 560TI but i guess this game is really demanding. Other than that, fun game!

Adnor

Banned
whyman said:
Im getting horrible framerates. Even on Low the game slows down when too much stuff is blowing up. (and thats all the time in SR3) Got 4 gig of ram, 2.3 ghz quad core and a GTX 560TI but i guess this game is really demanding. Other than that, fun game!
For what I understand you should run it fine. Try updating the drivers for your GPU?

Those of you listing your PC specs when discussing performance/framerates should also mention what resolution you're running it at. Often dropping down the res can make a big difference.

Top Bottom