• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

jediyoshi

Just noticed you can make a copy of saintsrowthethird_dx11.exe, rename it to game_launcher.exe (just rename the original to something else) and Steam will just load into it automatically. Should probably redo this if/when the game ever updates.

In the videos folder you can make blank bik files (rename a blank text document) named logo_thq_and_voli_hd.bik and logo_amd_hd.bik to skip the opening logos. They do mask the loading into the main menu though so you'll just be looking at a loading screen as a result.

Looks like capture.srtt_framedump and capture.srtt_audiodump are the leftovers of whenever you enable replay mode. Don't think there's a way to clear them out ingame but they can take up a good bit of space.

Here are the notes in the display.ini

Extremely low framerate (less than two frames a second) could be due to low video memory.
* Resolution is the biggest factor in video memory usage.
* Lighting detail has a major effect on memory usage.
It effects lighting quality slightly, but turning it to low will also turn off advanced depth of field.
* At high resolutions, anti-aliasing modes can result in high memory usage.
* Shadows and Ambient Occlusion have a minor effect on video memory usage.

Poor frame rate on low-end CPU’s can be aided by the following options.
* Scene detail has the biggest effect on CPU performance and visuals. The low setting here should be a last resort.
* Reflections can have an effect if they are turned off.
* Shadows will improve CPU performance if turned off, but will seriously affect visuals.

Poor frame rate on low-end GPU’s can be aided by the following options.
* The presets are geared toward GPU performance. Using auto-detect should choose settings appropriate for your GPU.
* Resolution and lighting detail have the biggest effect.
* Post processing has a major effect on GPU performance when set to high.​

So are weapon executions out? I thought those were awesome in SR2. I cant find anyway to do them. Im thinking they might be a weapon upgrade for some reason? Or did they nix them? :(

Qwell

Ploid 3.0 said:
This one?

cc1025e457bd3ae0ad6a232e0055570015902d06.jpg

http://www.saintsrow.com/profile/Ploid
Ah yes, that is the one thank you

VALIS

Oh man, this is shit hot! I've always liked the SR series but they finally conquered the two things that were holding the first two games back:

- The controls are tight now, no more twitchy jank running or driving. Really stable. I'm impressed. Driving is awesome.

- The game looks GOOD. Great, even. I'm playing with all Ultra settings on my GTX 470, 8GB RAM, AMD Phenom II, for what it's worth. YMMV.

Too much cut scene QTE-type gameplay in the beginning intro, but that's done in about 10 minutes.

Playing on the Hardcore difficulty so far, seems suitably difficult, head shots are crucial. I already died on the first non-cut scene mission.

The sound is kinda fucked up, I can barely hear car noises, gun shots, reloads, etc., but I'm not sure if that's the game or my setup. I'm switching to headphones next to find out.

Back to it! Woo! Very happy so far.

SlickVic

Think this game really hates the crappy processor in my laptop (2.00 GHz C2D) more than my old GPU (GTX 260m). Put settings onto low and still was getting a lousy framerate. Just tried OC'ing the CPU a bit to 2.3 and it made a world of difference; game actually runs decent on the default medium settings now, which is good enough for me. Just going to monitor my temps hoping nothing gets too out of control.

_woLf

Game runs on highest settings perfectly on my computer, Intel dual core E8400 @ 3.5 GHZ, 2 GTX 260 OC's SLI, 8GB RAM.

With this and Skyrim, I am EASILY occupied until Mass Effect 3.

Teknoman

Poor frame rate on low-end GPU’s can be aided by the following options.
* The presets are geared toward GPU performance. Using auto-detect should choose settings appropriate for your GPU.
* Resolution and lighting detail have the biggest effect.
* Post processing has a major effect on GPU performance when set to high.

I cant believe my 4870 wants to default me to low. I can handle high on all settings except shadows and it hovers between 30-40 fps, and hits 50-60 inside buildings/certain camera angles.

mxgt

Banned
VALIS said:
Oh man, this is shit hot! I've always liked the SR series but they finally conquered the two things that were holding the first two games back:

- The controls are tight now, no more twitchy jank running or driving. Really stable. I'm impressed. Driving is awesome.

- The game looks GOOD. Great, even. I'm playing with all Ultra settings on my GTX 470, 8GB RAM, AMD Phenom II, for what it's worth. YMMV.

Too much cut scene QTE-type gameplay in the beginning intro, but that's done in about 10 minutes.

Playing on the Hardcore difficulty so far, seems suitably difficult, head shots are crucial. I already died on the first non-cut scene mission.

The sound is kinda fucked up, I can barely hear car noises, gun shots, reloads, etc., but I'm not sure if that's the game or my setup. I'm switching to headphones next to find out.

Back to it! Woo! Very happy so far.

I also find that car noise is very low

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, game is gorgeous, funny, and runs really well. Right off the bat I can tell how much they've learned from two entire generations of sandbox games to make this one as fun as possible.

MMaRsu

InfectedZero said:
So are weapon executions out? I thought those were awesome in SR2. I cant find anyway to do them. Im thinking they might be a weapon upgrade for some reason? Or did they nix them? :(
Probably out.. Fking lame

wow this game is awesome

amazed at how in depth weapon customization is. Incendiary rounds for my SMG! I LOVE incendiary rounds!

MMaRsu

ShockingAlberto said:
This game is amazing

I mean, don't get me wrong. It's a janky, unpolished experience.

But it's an amazing, janky, unpolished experience.
How is it unpolished and janky?

mxgt

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
This game is amazing

I mean, don't get me wrong. It's a janky, unpolished experience.

But it's an amazing, janky, unpolished experience.

I wouldn't say it's janky or unpolished, the improvement over SR2 is like night and day

It controls so well on mouse keyboard, love it.

VALIS

Anyone have luck uploading screen shots yet? Nothing is under my account at the Saints Row website. I guess it's not active yet. I took some hilarious shots, hope they show up!

Also, I bumped the difficulty down from Hardcore to Normal. I like the level of difficulty for activities, but the missions are hard as hell on Hardcore. The one with the
rampaging giant
, only the 2nd or 3rd mission in the game, took me six tries to beat.

So good! I haven't had this much fun with a new full priced game in quite a while.

IMACOMPUTA

Ok, so first off-
This game is awesome. Everything feels so much better than the previous games. The controls are really solid. I'd say they got rid of all the jank from sr2 and have a competent shooting model. There's much more weight to everything.
The graphics are quite nice too.
Overall I'm very impressed.

Buuuuuuuut!
I've encountered a bug that possibly ruins the game for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it something with my configuration? I uploaded a video.
http://youtu.be/ZYe62gNPbhk

mxgt

Banned
VALIS said:
So good! I haven't had this much fun with a new full priced game in quite a while.

This + Skyrim is probably the most fun I've had in a week with video games ever.

I've played for about 6 hours so far. Ive only done a few missions because ive been having so much fun exploring and screwing around :)
Does anyone know what the deal is with piloting an aircraft? I couldnt move to camera around to the side or front of the plane when I was flying it (360 ver). The camera was totally fixed in place. Of course you can move the camera in cars or even helicoptors, but not in planes?
I hope its just a bug Volition will fix. Its damn annoying.
Also....
Camel toe?

126189308843849457.jpg

Lima

So the 360 DLC is region locked. Well it was the case with the first two games so nothing new except that you can't even activate the online pass if it doesn't match your region.

I'm from Germany and want my game uncut and have to go VPN and shit just to activate online play. WTF.

They have just gone from buy at full price to not buy at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh man. Early mission silly spoiler

Your character and Pierce singing along to What I Got by Sublime? Seriously did they record entirely new audio for every voice option? What the hell goes on here if you picked zombie?
I'm dying here.

VALIS

Hawkian said:
Oh man. Early mission silly spoiler

Your character and Pierce singing along to What I Got by Sublime? Seriously did they record entirely new audio for every voice option? What the hell goes on here if you picked zombie?
I'm dying here.

Was just going to post about this myself. Awesome moment. They sing the entire song, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How did the console versions turn out? Review footage of this game (taken from 360) showed a very poor framerate with lots of tearing. I assume the PS3 version is just as bad or worse.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
VALIS said:
Was just going to post about this myself. Awesome moment. They sing the entire song, too.
Seriously. The whole thing. What happens if you pick zombie? Is it as hilarious as I am imagining?

MNC said:
How is the PC performance?
3.0ghz i7, SLI GTX 260s; excellent performance, almost flawless.

Kabouter

dark10x said:
How did the console versions turn out? Review footage of this game (taken from 360) showed a very poor framerate with lots of tearing. I assume the PS3 version is just as bad or worse.
Framerate is poor, though it seems somewhat better than in SR2, but there are separate vsync options for both gameplay and cutscenes. So there is at least that.

MMaRsu

Kabouter said:
Framerate is poor, though it seems somewhat better than in SR2, but there are separate vsync options for both gameplay and cutscenes. So there is at least that.
Ps3 version framerate is hardly poor lol. Much much improved from sr2. Also no tearing.

Fjordson

dark10x said:
360 version is fine, though the framerate is inconsistent.

Ploid 3.0

This game is nuts. Just tried survival, need upgrades for that for sure. I didn't do anything but one mission since I got dropped into the world. Having fun.

This is the first game that require me to use 720p :( Playing windowed because it looks bad stretched on my tv.

Hawkian said:
Seriously. The whole thing. What happens if you pick zombie? Is it as hilarious as I am imagining?

3.0ghz i7, SLI GTX 260s; excellent performance, almost flawless.

This was in a trailer actually. Your guy sounds like a zombie but every seems to understand him just fine lol

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
I just bought my CD key on one of those sites, is there any way to get the Genki stuff now or am I have to gonna wait until THQ releases it as DLC on Steam?

Interfectum said:
is your character as big of an asshole in this one as he was in SR2?

No. Not yet anyway. Just standard asshole stuff. lol
Some of the killings in SR2, that the Saints boss commits, are really... ugh.

Top Bottom