• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

This sort of thing is where Patreon goals would be neatly applicable.
There's more fine print to Patreon than what people realize. I toss like $10 a month to a variety of people, but it's not direct donations.

Woolie also said on twitter that this is what they want to use Vessel for, in response to a comment on the audio quality. Maybe he actually wants to use Vessel money for improving the show?

I'd like some hard answers, or acknowledgment of the problem.

On hey, I just noticed that they finally fixed the podcast artwork. Looks like my dumb little campaign to get Woolie's attention worked.

Skrams

Agree with a lot of Liam's points on P4D. It's definitely something I've just gotten use to though since importing the game months ago. I don't really remember if I even noticed the weird shit on my first run through the songs though. I just remember getting Brilliants on everything with having no trouble passing the songs. I think the game's pretty easy to follow at this point, but I don't have a ton of rhythm game experience besides a lot of Project Diva.

The audio quality of the podcast makes it feel so backgrounded that I inherently ignoring half the stuff being said cause it sounds like I afk'd in a ventrillo chat where a conversation I'm not involved in is happening but I don't want to leave because that would signal that I was listening in on them.

oh the anxieties of 2006 era world of warcraft
Why is this so real that it hurts.
Why can't they use podcast sponsor money to improve the podcast?

I don't remember if they said this or I'm making it up, but I think the podcast sponsorships barely cover their overhead cost of hosting the podcast?

Disgraced

There's more fine print to Patreon than what people realize. I toss like $10 a month to a variety of people, but it's not direct donations..
Oh of course, I'm aware, I meant 'neatly applicable' as in it's doable and specific, and so the supporter sees the goal 'improved audio for the podcast' right there and says "Oh, I will give money to this because I want this."
I'd like some hard answers, or acknowledgment of the problem.
Yeah, I would as well, but I'm afraid we're not going to get it.

Fat4all

Banned
Pat -
"If you go to a Montreal strip club with $50 you're gonna touch a boob."

plane-taking-off.jpg

Matt: "I'm trying to think of ways to improve the experience, and they all involve video games..."
Me: "Yeah..."
Matt: "Like, is there a market for this? Video game themed strippers?"
Me: "Yeah."
Matt: "Like, imagine the girl comes out, and she looks just like Orchid..."
Me: "... what?"

No, Matt. It stops being okay when you want KI/MK. You're now dropping down from a weird minority of nerds to a really weird minority of nerds.

i have to play that Transformers game
i will break my morals if i have to and fix it later but i have to play it
i can feel Unicron being the final boss
i can feel it
edit:dammit maybe the sequel

Matt: "I'm trying to think of ways to improve the experience, and they all involve video games..."

No, Matt. It stops being okay when you want KI/MK. You're now dropping down from a weird minority of nerds to a really weird minority of nerds.

Yeah, if you want a Fighting game strip club you go Street Fighter.

The girl comes out and she looks just like Cammy or Chun-Li or C.Viper or Elena or Juri.

The list goes on.

Do they at least discuss Until Dawn as a spoiler cast to make listening to this ass sounding podcast worth it?

turn up your volume, it sounds fine to me so far
im on a laptop though btw
also are the Cybertron games worth playing?
not Darkspark as i know its shit
War and Fall though

turn up your volume, it sounds fine to me so far
im on a laptop though btw
also are the Cybertron games worth playing?
not Darkspark as i know its shit
War and Fall though

Absolutely. Both are fun, and have plenty of G1 references. I liked Fall more, mainly cause Dinobots and Insecticons. Fall also had pretty fun MP imo with escalation(pretty much horde mode) and the competitive stuff(TDM, KOTH, etc.) You also created your own transformer in the MP.

MP is probably dead though lol

Why can't they use podcast sponsor money to improve the podcast?
I don't think that's how sponsors exactly work. It's not exactly PROFITS! I'm pretty sure hosting and other costs come to play and sponsors help, not exactly fill their pockets.

I gotta stick up for Woolie and say some of you are being a bit harsh. I doubt they don't give a shit about the friendcast as it's been lightly implied. Audio is one of the trickiest things and Woolie dealing with one source already and having to deal with 3 more 2+ hours of audio isn't exactly the easiest. Especially when you have to consider editing and making sure it keeps in sync. People here bitch and moan when it doesn't come out the day BEFORE it's scheduled to release.

This episode doesn't sound nearly as bad the spoilercast for the last X-men movie. Woolie tweeted that shit got fucked up and guess what? Shit does happen.

Absolutely. Both are fun, and have plenty of G1 references. I liked Fall more, mainly cause Dinobots and Insecticons. Fall also had pretty fun MP imo with escalation(pretty much horde mode) and the competitive stuff(TDM, KOTH, etc.) You also created your own transformer in the MP.

MP is probably dead though lol

sweet
guess ill take a break from my horror marathon after SOMA and play those 2 and Devastation

Disgraced

I gotta stick up for Woolie and say some of you are being a bit harsh. I doubt they don't give a shit about the friendcast as it's been lightly implied. Audio is one of the trickiest things and Woolie dealing with one source already and having to deal with 3 more 2+ hours of audio isn't exactly the easiest. Especially when you have to consider editing and making sure it keeps in sync.
I don't think anyone here implied that. Did anyone here imply that? I know I didn't at least. I don't think they don't care, I just think the show would be a lot better with more care.
People here bitch and moan when it doesn't come out the day BEFORE it's scheduled to release.

This episode doesn't sound nearly as bad the spoilercast for the last X-men movie. Woolie tweeted that shit got fucked up and guess what? Shit does happen.
I think you're being a little dismissive; that comment's kind of out of left field seeing as that's an entirely different complaint that wasn't even a part of the recent discussion.

Yes, shit happens.

That's life. Acknowledging your mistakes does not absolve you of criticism, and if criticism stopped after you did you'd gain nothing. Acknowledging problems is only the first step.

For the record, I don't think anyone's recent comments were harsh or unreasonable. You want harsh? I think Woolie's statement is worthless if it never amounts to noticeable preventive or contingent measures/a shitcast never happening again.

I don't think that's how sponsors exactly work. It's not exactly PROFITS! I'm pretty sure hosting and other costs come to play and sponsors help, not exactly fill their pockets.

I gotta stick up for Woolie and say some of you are being a bit harsh. I doubt they don't give a shit about the friendcast as it's been lightly implied. Audio is one of the trickiest things and Woolie dealing with one source already and having to deal with 3 more 2+ hours of audio isn't exactly the easiest. Especially when you have to consider editing and making sure it keeps in sync. People here bitch and moan when it doesn't come out the day BEFORE it's scheduled to release.

Look, I really like the Friendcast. It's one of my favourite podcast amongst the dozens I listen to on a weekly basis. All I hope is that one day it sounds a bit more passable in the future. Is that too much to ask? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. All I know is that every other podcast I listen to have way better audio quality than the Friendcast. I hope that one day the Friendcast will sound fine too.

EDIT: I should add that I sometimes see people who are not exactly super into SBF talk about the podcast and say that it's really hard to get into because of the muffled audio quality and the fact that all the Friends like talking over each other.

I don't think anyone here implied that. Did anyone here imply that? I know I didn't at least. I don't think they don't care, I just think the show would be a lot better with more care.I think you're being a little dismissive; that comment's kind of out of left field seeing as that's an entirely different complaint that wasn't even a part of the recent discussion.

Yes, shit happens.

That's life. Acknowledging your mistakes does not absolve you of criticism, and if criticism stopped after you did you'd gain nothing. Acknowledging problems is only the first step.

For the record, I don't think anyone's recent comments were harsh or unreasonable. You want harsh? I think Woolie's statement is worthless if it never amounts to noticeable preventive or contingent measures/a shitcast never happening again.
Alright, I might have been wrong in saying it was implied that they don't give a shit but I still believe they try their best at doing all of what they do to bring people hours of content and what works for them is what they're going to do. They're not a company that is owned by CBS like Giant Bomb. They're just 4 guys who make videos playing games and recording podcasts out of each others places.

Look, I really like the Friendcast. It's one of my favourite podcast amongst the dozens I listen to on a weekly basis. All I hope is that one day it sounds a bit more passable in the future. Is that too much to ask? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. All I know is that every other podcast I listen to sounds a lot better than the Friendcast. I hope that one daythe Friendcast will sound fine too.
That's totally fair. I wish it sounded better sometimes too but again, they do what works for them. I just found it gross that people are telling them what to do with their money like they owe something to them. I dunno, just how I see it. I'll continue to listen to the podcast and enjoy it or not. I just don't feel annoyed by how they do their podcast.

Ehhhhh... But it was so long ago~

Plus I grew up watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines anyway so that should give me enough nerd cred to pass.

Damn right, best Transformers.

On the subject of audio quality, I think we just have to keep pushing for it and eventually they'll realize it's what they need to do, despite Woolie's laziness. I don't really care, it usually works for me, but I understand that it's a serious problem for some people and they should always strive to improve.

I hate to just assume they can afford to drop the dough on better equipment, but after 3 years of having to deal with randomly bad episodes throughout all of their content, all of the technical problems really wear thin.

I don't mean to sound entitled, I just am kinda sick of the same song and dance every time it happens. When they're editing episodes individually it's gotta be rough, but at the least, I think it would serve them well to improve the technical side of things.

Numb

Indeed.
Would expect them to avoid all the things they themselves wouldn't like to see from the people they watch. Hopefully the cry out is big enough for them to hear.

Numb

ZTM4S9I.gif

Also that FNF super tease at the end of the podcast being the best one and also maybe Ultimax PLUS BB.
They best deliver lol.
ITS ALL LIES!!!

Geg

Eh, Woolie acknowledged they fucked up and apologized several times, as long as they're more careful in the future I don't care about one week with bad audio

Their candid approach really is successful. I wonder how much higher it'd be if their technical quality wasn't below their peers'.

I don't think that automatically better quality audio will catapult them into the top 10s of podcasts, but it will help maintain a steady listening base.

I HAD THIS CONVERSATION AGES AGO! There's a market somewhere in the world for video game themed strippers.

But it doesn't involve skull face Gianna Michaels.

Skrams

I hate to just assume they can afford to drop the dough on better equipment, but after 3 years of having to deal with randomly bad episodes throughout all of their content, all of the technical problems really wear thin.

I don't mean to sound entitled, I just am kinda sick of the same song and dance every time it happens. When they're editing episodes individually it's gotta be rough, but at the least, I think it would serve them well to improve the technical side of things.

I have the same sort of feeling. It's just a thing that wears on you when it happens often enough and randomly enough to annoy. I keep saying that I hope they improve or learn from their mistakes, and I think they do somewhat except in other regards they don't. I'd like to see them be the best they can be and not just go it's fine tho/we promise nothing and deliver less/it's not great. I've been doing that for quite a while now.

Is it weird?

Or is it actually the best?

So they were totally right on the podcast about this weeks FNF being the absolute fucking greatest. I feel bad for you guys who havnt seen it yet.

Top Bottom