• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
:(

nuuuuooooooo

*stares at credit card, starts shaking*

Don't worry, its only 36 dollars a year. You spend less than that paying for new videogames and you'll be helping pat.
latest

Never in my life have I ever seen something as amazing as Dong Dong Never Dies, it's like having a sneak peek of heaven,

Seriously cannot believe that it isn't a Fisticuffs video, call it broken but it has some MvC levels of hype in it. I really hope this has online cause I really wanna play this.

edit: also I need to know how to play this game online

man their gonna kill the best character after Sans if they dont stop fucking fighting stuff
someone go lock Liam in the vents his gun jumping is gonna get Undyne killed
or someone in Canada go warn Matt

Superbestfriends wins pretty much on the custom opening but,
Heres a list of good ones if you havent seen them yet
Dodger
Vinesauce Joel
Vinesauce Direboar
Commander Holly & Ross
Game Grumps: Ross & Barry
Thanks Sera now I'll have to spend all of my free time watching every single LP.

After having watched episodes of a bunch of LP's of Undertale there's one thing none of them do that would make their life a whole lot easier: checking enemies. Often times it becomes immediately clear how to mercy enemies after checking them but for some reason nobody does it. Even if it doesn't help there's some hilarious or cool flavor text.

After having watched episodes of a bunch of LP's of Undertale there's one thing none of them do that would make their life a whole lot easier: checking enemies. Often times it becomes immediately clear how to mercy enemies after checking them but for some reason nobody does it. Even if it doesn't help there's some hilarious or cool flavor text.

Finally, someone gets it

Well, if you suck at dodging attacks or are just in a hurry, checking can be considered a waste of a round... assuming you can figure out how to spare an enemy without it. Which most people don't.

Breads

Banned
Double/ Triple Length episodes for Dangan Ronpa is working for me. All that's left now is recording the english version of the game again but I doubt they'd take that route. I just hope they don't make that mistake again.

JC Sera

The lack of checking is really irritating.

MrHoot

Really have to commend whoever did the intro this year for the shitstorm tho. Every time I boot up my nightly shitstorm video, i still get these slight chills from the sounds and visuals

Double/ Triple Length episodes for Dangan Ronpa is working for me. All that's left now is recording the english version of the game again but I doubt they'd take that route. I just hope they don't make that mistake again.
Eh, I feel like it drags on a lot, but that's because the game is low intensity and dialogue heavy.

Also, does anyone know what the fuck Pat is talking about at the beginning of Obscure II when he goes on his thing about chimeral DNA and cancer treatments?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Eh, I feel like it drags on a lot, but that's because the game is low intensity and dialogue heavy.

Also, does anyone know what the fuck Pat is talking about at the beginning of Obscure II when he goes on his thing about chimeral DNA and cancer treatments?

I think its a reference to the the first obscure game.

New Shitstorm on Vessel:
Silent Hill Origins. Am I really doing this spoiler thing lol?

I'm here for the Pat fangasming while I nod along.

It's just a common trope in modern horror movies and games. Basically, it's a modern take on Frankenstein: scientist with questionable ethics and practices tries to "play god" and creates a "monster".

Except, of course, no one actually understood Frankenstein so in the modern version the scientists are usually trying to do something objectively good and the monster they create actually is objectively evil. (It plays better for the home crowd. Just go with it.)

I'm interested to hear why he thinks it's overrated but I'm probably going to disagree with all of it. I don't think he was ever a fan of Earthbound either(might be wrong) so it's not that surprising indeed.

JC Sera

I'm interested to hear why he thinks it's overrated but I'm probably going to disagree with all of it. I don't think he was ever a fan of Earthbound either(might be wrong) so it's not that surprising indeed.
dat ass about to be torn to pieces this podcast
Pat blighted himself this week, God didnt even bother this time
edit:he is a fan of Earthbound which makes this even more upsetting
https://twitter.com/AngriestPat
Hes currently explaining why

also lol yeah
Woolie & Matt are gonna tear into him
Btw, Swery65 & Moa (creator of hatoful boyfriend) are currently playing and enjoying undertale

Seems like it boils down to Pat not appreciating the characters and dialogue as much as other people, it explains why he thinks the battles are boring and the game doesn't get really good until the end.

JC Sera

you mean Woolie and Matt
hes cosplaying as Sans for Halloween for god sake(Matt is)
Damn you rhyming names and me being sick for 4 weeks!
Seems like it boils down to Pat not appreciating the characters and dialogue as much as other people, it explains why he thinks the battles are boring and the game doesn't get really good until the end.
If thats the case it would be cool to see him do
a genocide run by himself, unline matt and liam who are super attached already

the reason we praise the game so much is because it does something no game has ever done before
it calls you out on your mistakes
not the character no, it calls out the player
Flowey is some next level 4th wall breaking

JC Sera

the reason we praise the game so much is because it does something no game has ever done before
it calls you out on your mistakes
not the character no, it calls out the player
Flowey is some next level 4th wall breaking
Have you played OFF? Its definitely not the first
however its definitely the best execution so far
I think the consequences for a genocide run are a first however

convo

Undertale being created in game maker makes it pretty impressive, considering the level of easter eggs that are comparable to metal gear.
Also Pat always thinks he seems to know whats going on, but clearly his Terms of Service in the Zaibatsu state him having the awareness of pumpernickel , where he wouldn't even know what that was.

Moonlight

Banned
I think Pat's just misread the reason why people like Undertale in the first place, since he's coming from his perspective and the amazing ending of the game obviously leaves an impression. I see way more people talking about their favourite bits of the 'boring main scenario' than they do the ending, which is admittedly anecdotal, but even going by the NeoGAF OT, it's hardly the heart of the discussion. UT's all about connecting with a small group of characters, and how much enjoyment you get out of it has everything to do with how much those characters endear themselves to you.

ArjanN

To be fair the game basically is the writing, so if you're not super into that I can see it being a bit disappointing. It probably also doesn't help that the fanbase has been hyping to game to an near obnoxious degree.

Moonlight

Banned
To be fair the game basically is the writing, so if you're not super into that I can see it being a bit disappointing. It probably also doesn't help that the fanbase has been hyping to game to an near obnoxious degree.
This ties into it. I played the game off the back of quiet buzz on Tumblr. I wasn't expecting an '11/10' and wound up with my favourite game of the year, but yeah, expecting that is going to temper your expectations pretty aggressively.

It's why I try not to be very pushy about getting people to try the game.

Siegcram

Above everything, I'm looking for competent writing nowadays in my singleplayer games.
And Undertale delivers on that front well beyond my expectations.

That said, if someone thinks Earthbound is overrated, it would suprise me more if they didn't have the same gripes with UT.

Said that, I think "overrated" is about as useless a criticism you can level against anything.

Yeah I definitely get that people might start to dislike a game without even playing it when people are pushing it all the time.

I think it's the only reason I haven't gotten into stuff like Game of Thrones.
Said that, I think "overrated" is about as useless a criticism you can level against anything.

Also, instead of saying "I rate this game lower than others", you're saying "everyone who rates this game higher than I do is wrong".

WHICH SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE SOMETHING PAT WOULD SAY

He's not wrong, it is overrated, but people tend to do that when they find a relatively unique and well-done experience, mostly in response to all of the overrated samey AAA games that get released in a given year.

I mean, they've implied it before on the podcast: you almost need to rate games differently for their experiential value than you do for their quality. The way you'll often hear this expressed is "Dark Souls is a Must Play 7 on 10" or "Uncharted 4 is a 9/10 you can take a pass on." People are basically saying, "I can recognize polish and raw expenditure of human effort, but I can also recognize that a game's value as a stand-alone experience is almost completely divorced from that as a factor."

Undertale's a mildly polished and in many ways unambitious project, but with a fantastic hook that makes it a must-play game. The problem is that most people don't understand rating games that way, so when they ask you have to tell them it's a 10/10 to convey to them that they really should play it.

I think Pat's just misread the reason why people like Undertale in the first place, since he's coming from his perspective and the amazing ending of the game obviously leaves an impression. I see way more people talking about their favourite bits of the 'boring main scenario' than they do the ending, which is admittedly anecdotal, but even going by the NeoGAF OT, it's hardly the heart of the discussion. UT's all about connecting with a small group of characters, and how much enjoyment you get out of it has everything to do with how much those characters endear themselves to you.

This so much. UT is what I wish social links were like in Persona 3/4. Well, that might be a bit unfair, but there's a lot about social links I don't like. On a simular note it also does enemy conversations better then SMT in general. Its gonna be hard going back to that BS If I do end up picking up a 3DS and SMTIV Final...

Also, I will never get not wanting to watch/play/read something because people hype it up to much or letting that ruin an experience for me. That just seems ridiculous to me.

I mean Pat still explains that it's a great game, just not the GOTY for him. So I wouldn't read too deeply into his comments if you enjoyed it, because he still had a good time.

Top Bottom