• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Neol

inb4 people get mad at him for explaining

Its to be expected regardless if its a sensible explanation or not.

Didn't get to play it yet so kinda bummed that it's gonna take a good chunk of the podcast. At least this time around the sound quality will be better.
I swear to god if they use the wrong mic again pitchforks and torches will be held.

JC Sera

Pat: This game is overrated but it's okay I guess.
Matt: LESSER DOG THOUGH <3
Woolie: And so our next story is abo- *gets interrupted by Pat*
Liam: I'm not saying it's the best game ever but it's not the worst either.

Please look forward to it.
*whilst everything sounds like its underwater*
Matt: *Plays Greater Dog "BOING" sound off his phone at inappropriate moments*
*Or maybe they were really perfect moments all along?*

MrHoot

This.

I'm not expecting a reasonable debate all around as it might devolve into hyperbole stuff. Hope it doesn't really go over like an hour debate of Pat Headbutting against Liam and Matt

Moonlight

Banned

Sounds about right. I expect Matt to be a bit more fierce about defending the game. Woolie being the neutral 'I agree with everyone' dude, and Liam kinda waffling with a lot of 'yeah, but'.

I'm excited.

Really!

I'm doing the Lingua franca mission in Phantom Pain, the one Pat and Liam took hours to do, and oh my god is following this interpreter frustrating. I've seen him do the same circuit 3 time while I just lay prime with my stealth camo listening to music and Gaf posting.

Can't believe this is a mission objective

Anung

Un Rama
Yay! nightmare creatures is the best.

Could someone who listens to the podcast stick a time stamp up as to when the undertake talk starts and finishes so I can avoid it. I'd appreciate it!

The one time I want to watch the preview video immediately and it's not up.

Also I hope Undertale topic is Pat saying "Yeah, it was good. That's about it from me."

joe2187

Banned
The one time I want to watch the preview video immediately and it's not up.

Also I hope Undertale topic is Pat saying "Yeah, it was good. That's about it from me."

It will be 40 mins of Pat explaining that everything it's done isnt unique and Liam arguing that Pat is being an ass just for the sake of being an Ass while Matt screams undertale quotes and Woolies shit eating grin can be heard even through the microphone.

Matts Sans costume is really coming together
now all he needs is a skeleton body and floating skeleton heads that Liam holds for him since no one will see him theyll appear floating
also i recently started the Dead Space series for the Horror marathon
you know you did a good job when you can even manage to freak me out

Skrams

Mike said on the reddit that Undertale talk was from 1:05:00~1:40:00 if anyone else cares. It seems like it might be slightly spoilery, so I'd just avoid it if you care.

"Damn these people who are enjoying this game I've never played more then I want them to and had nothing to do with its creation sure are ruining the game for me. When will they learn to not leave me out of the fun and only have as much as I have decided is acceptable?"

I mean, there is popular things I don't like and fandom's of those things I don't like, but not liking something because the fans are too loud or w/e sounds just dumb to me. I say hate the player, not the game(unless you do actually think the game is shit on its own merits of course). Otherwise it sounds like you are just hating on a game just to spite those other people, which I guess is par for the course on the internet...

I never said they couldn't have fun or were ruining the game for me. I just think overuse of quotes from the game or pushing a game too hard can be annoying. It's not uncommon when a fandom for a game can push away people rather than greet them. Too vocal of fandoms can come off as annoying and some people link that to the game/show/whatever being annoying to think about even participating in. It's mostly done out of spite by people and it's most likely petty. I just find that to be human nature though. People will carry that even further and go in looking to shit on the thing because people can be dicks. You have every right to be annoyed with the people who ignorantly shit on Undertale or whatever thing just based off the fandom. That's not really a thing that will ever stop though since people can't learn to control their hype in the first place and then the whole process starts over forever.

Come on Woolie, I don't think I don't think Undertale was meant to ARGed/datamined?. There are stuff that might be considered spoilers in Undertale. spoilers end at 1:38:00~

JC Sera

Come on Woolie, I don't think I don't think Undertale was meant to ARGed/datamined?. There are stuff that might be considered spoilers in Undertale. spoilers end at 1:38:00~
It was meant to be ARGed at least with the inclusion of Fun.
Datamined, not so much.

edit:
Undertale minor spoilers:
Pat kept talking about the neutral ending is better, but I don't think he realises theres 10 different neutral endings
nvm, they discuss the neutral ending variation

And Fun

Matt & Liam get Aarons special thing
Woolie gets Shyren's special thing

I really wanna know what Pat's guess for the genocide ending is. Like I doubt he could guess the demon stuff.

Moonlight

Banned
Hmm... I seems like they let their community get in the way of them enjoying games.
I don't think that's something we'll ever be able to really empathize with. I can't imagine constantly being hammered by notifications telling me I've gotta play something.

Fat4all

Banned
I don't think that's something we'll ever be able to really empathize with. I can't imagine constantly being hammered by notifications telling me I've gotta play something.

It must be a total bummer.

I could only imagine the nightmare it is to avoid spoilers at times.

Alfredo

Hmm... I seems like they let their community get in the way of them enjoying games.

Such is the life of popular Let's Players and streamers, I guess.

I've been watching a lot of Undertale streams lately, and the chat loves to backseat game all the time. Blaaah.

Woolie talking about how hard the genocide run in Undertale is makes me scared, I'm super stuck at the boss for the neutral run because I'm really bad at video games. Like, I've spent two hours on that guy because I take too many hits in the shmup bit.

Woolie talking about how hard the genocide run in Undertale is makes me scared, I'm super stuck at the boss for the neutral run because I'm really bad at video games. Like, I've spent two hours on that guy because I take too many hits in the shmup bit.

Yeah the bosses in the genocide run are kind of insane, you really need to master your dodging to be able to defeat them. I'd love to try them but I can't bring myself to kill everyone.

MrHoot

Matt makes a quasi-perfect Sans.

I dunno how hard it would be to have like little lights for the eyes (or at least cardboard so you're not in permanent "bad times" sans) and having a little audiobox to make the speech sounds.

Also he needs to have a ton of ketchup on him at all time

Why didn't they just do Undertale at the end of the podcast? Never mind, I'll listen to the podcast but I'm just really sick of hearing about Undertale at this point.

The Undertale talk was actually pretty engaging. I feel for Pat and how his over exposure to the game's word of mouth lessened the experience for him. Woolie's enthusiasm for the sound track is fantastic, the OST
and all of the mashups
is/are too good.

Matt's exasperation at Woolie trying to describe the meta narrative was hilarious.

MrHoot

Thanks! Let's me side step this discussion entirely.

It was surprisingly civil, here's the crux of it

Basically it boils down for Pat to both being spammed on his twitter and other channels like FF XIV guild a hundred of times so his expectations were crazy high, and I also think that a lot of the humour (like for him, the first 3/4 of the game except for two instances didn't do much for him), and even the music (he mentions none of the track stuck with him which is baffling to me but oh wel) didn't sit with him. He does bring up some legitimate flaws about the game, particularily genocide run, as well as some more nitpicky ones. He also apparently hates the ARG going on, because of his personal tastes (Liam agrees). Although while he calls them "significant" I think they barely overshadow the inherent qualities of the game. Liam kinda agrees with him to some extent although doesn't really voice anything.

Matt and Woolie are on the other side of the spectrum but also because they only had a few people recommending the game, without overselling it.

The best point Pat brings though, and I think he's super right, is that the game is diminished if you know the "good way" (aka pacifist) to play it beforehand. Because the game elevates itself on metacommentary and player agency, knowing these things beforehand diminishes the game as you lose part of the experience that is fundamental to it's design.

In any case, while I disagree with his overall judgement of the game based on his pre-experience with the community, he does make very good point. And I mean he still likes it a lot. He just wishes he would've learned from it like Matt did. He and Liam give it an 8/10. Woolie gives it a 9.5, strongly influenced by the endings but still thinks the game overall is cool, as well as the ARG, and Matt (so far, he hasn't finished) gives it a 10 because he genuinely got into the world and was immersed to the point of losing himself totally with certain jokes and passages.

Why didn't they just do Undertale at the end of the podcast? Never mind, I'll listen to the podcast but I'm just really sick of hearing about Undertale at this point.

Compared to FF XIV or SF talk, Undertale talk on SBF has been pretty minimal apart from the LP which i'm more okay with than hearing about another FF XIV thing. And I play FF XIV

Geg

I would compare the final boss of the genocide run with Mario 3D World's Champion's Road in terms of just sheer amount of hours I spent trying to beat it

convo

Undertale discussion can be boiled down to getting a good plate of pasta shot at your face with a cannon. It's both bad for the person getting hit and for the pasta itself.

Because that's not how they handle things? They always talk about games they've played somewhere in the middle of the podcast, no different for this particular game.

Top Bottom