• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those wondering if the books are worthwhile, yes they are. Yes yes yes, and more yes.

Go read them if you haven't!

Also, I got my Odds and Ends book today and it's really nice. The artwork is beautiful, the paper is nice, and I love having those special comic side-stories in one compilation.

Dougald

Rahk said:
Definitely read the books. You won't be disappointed if you liked the movie.

RadioHeadAche said:
To those wondering if the books are worthwhile, yes they are. Yes yes yes, and more yes.

Sounds good - I'll see if I can pick one up at the bookstore today!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
XiaNaphryz said:
4.5 months after box office is still pretty damn fast. Especially when they were still working on extra material just a few weeks ago. Quit complaining.
I live in Saudi Arabia, buddy. I can complain anonymously on the internet all I fucking want. Seriously though, it's not releasing in Bahrain or Dubai so I'm waiting on the Blu-ray.

Alucard said:
So, any chance of this movie being up for any visual awards at the Oscars, or should we just all start laughing and crying now?

Laugh now. The likelihood of this being up for an effects oscar is about as likely as it making $40 million in US box office. Just aint happening.

But something I overlooked before about the movie: Bill Pope was the cinematographer on it. No wonder it looked good.

And I didn't see it anywhere else: from Cracked
Scott Pilgrim: Why Geeks Can't Have Nice Things
geekfilms2.jpg

There is more to the article after the chart. Good points brought up.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Funny how I hadn't heard about any of those comics prior to the announcement that they were being adapted.

Alucard

Banned
AgentWhiskersX said:
Hey at least they listened and we actually got the movie. I'm fine with that.

Me too. I just feel bad that the studio is likely going to lose out on millions of dollars. Hopefully the movie regains some popularity on DVD and Blu-Ray, because it was absolutely awesome.

ezekial45

Banned
Sirpopopop said:
Actually, from what I hear - Serenity made Universal a nice chunk of change. It wasn't an expensive movie to make at all.

There was actually talks of a sequel. The movie did great on home release.

Well it's kind of a shame ,but Scott Pilgrim is now at my local budget theater. At least for this week. So a friend and I went this morning. Right after it ended, we went back for a second viewing.

So Ive now seen it 4 times and it just gets better and better.

Rahxephon91 said:
Well it's kind of a shame ,but Scott Pilgrim is now at my local budget theater. At least for this week. So a friend and I went this morning. Right after it ended, we went back for a second viewing.

I loved the movie but I still feel compelled to quote your tag. It's like a compulsion...

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Rahxephon91 said:

Wait what? Weren't you hating on the movie a while back? Amazing how several viewings can change a person's mind.

GG-Duo

Finally saw it tonight...

... and I'm really disappointed. I liked the books, and I'm this movie's perfect target audience, but this movie just didn't work.

Sure it's really fun, and it had cool effects and music, but I felt that it had too much flash and not enough character development. The books' real strength came from the poignant moments that talked about Scott and Ramona's pasts - and that did not have enough screen time. When they do focus on it, it's usually only delivered in dialogue. And... the dialog. Yeesh, so many cheesy one-liners. In the comic it's sarcastic, but here they're played straight.

In hindsight, I wish that they would've taken more liberties with the source material rather than stick to it so closely. The 7-evil-ex plot structure didn't quite work for a movie, because 7 is a high number, so the right way would've been to change some of the ex's into minor challenges - even more like a henchman - and involve more other characters to spice it up. Personally, I would have taken out Lucas Lee and Roxy, and reduced the effects at the Twins fight. If it doesn't contribute to the characterizations or the emotional plot, take it out. The movie sorely needed more focus on Ramona's insecurity and Gideon's manipulations. Knives was good though, I'll give you that...

maharg

idspispopd
I do agree that 7 exes was too many for the format of the movie, but I wouldn't have removed Lucas Lee. Roxy could easily go plotwise, but I think they kept her mostly for making the trailers more interesting (zomg one of her exes is a girl!).

Patel, Lee, Todd, and obviously Gideon are the essential ones as far as I'm concerned. I could easily have done without Roxy and the twins.

GG-Duo

WordAssassin said:
WTF how can you remove Lucas Lee he's like the best of all the Exes! Everyone loves him!

Why? Lucas Lee didn't add anything to the film. His appearance didn't make Scott more insecure, and Ramona's bitchiness/scars wasn't truly emphasized through him. I liked the vegan more, and he could've been merged with Lucas.

My suspicion is that Lucas' purpose in the movie was to have an outdoor (and more hand-to-hand) fight for visual variety reasons.

MNC

Todd had to be her because of the Envy sidestory/background story. Don't know how you would merge Todd and Lucas.

Also, on the backside of Volume 6, who's the grim, dark blonde kind of guy that's looking schmuck from the shadows? definitely not gideon, and I thought it might be negascott, but he looks too off from scott to be him. Any guesses?

G-Fex

I don't know what's sad after reading that Cracked article. The fact Scott Pilgrim bombed to really really really stupid movies like Vampires Suck. Or the fact that they'll keep making really really really really really fucking stupid movies like "Old Dogs", "Deck the halls" and "Vampires Suck"

I'm so in love with this movie since it's my favorite one now. (Unbelievable! pushing aside Goldfinger) I bought the soundtrack and poster and everything. No movie has made me feel this good, one of those things where I can think about a certain scene or song from the soundtrack and makes me feel all good inside.

The awesome continues to radiate from this film. I looked into what the song was that played in Trailer #2 when Scott opens the door to Ramona. Turns out it was 'Big Ideas' by LCD Soundsystem, and turns out that song is fantastic. Shame it wasn't actually in the film itself but whatevs. :D

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Saw it today and loved it. It's kinda in your face about its style at first, but I ended up really enjoying it.

And I haven't read any of the comics or anything, but Knives Chau was way cooler than Ramona and I was really hoping he would just let Ramona go at the end. :lol Don't mean to start any Jacob vs. Edward shit, but Knives stole every scene she was in.

And Young Neil was super cute, and he's six years older than me? Crazy.

Blackhead

Redarse
PhoncipleBone said:
Laugh now. The likelihood of this being up for an effects oscar is about as likely as it making $40 million in US box office. Just aint happening.

But something I overlooked before about the movie: Bill Pope was the cinematographer on it. No wonder it looked good.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/geekfilms2.jpg[IMG]
There is more to the article after the chart. Good points brought up.[/QUOTE]
Serenity and Scott Pilgrim <3
[QUOTE=Cracked]
in the world of the geek and in the age of the internet, loving something does not necessarily translate to a willingness to spend money on it.[/QUOTE]
:( I saw it twice (and bought three tickets).

Alucard

Banned
It's already disappearing from theatres. My g/f and I had planned on theatre hopping between this and Despicable Me yesterday, but Scott Pilgrim was already gone. :-/

MNC said:
Todd had to be her because of the Envy sidestory/background story. Don't know how you would merge Todd and Lucas.

Also, on the backside of Volume 6, who's the grim, dark blonde kind of guy that's looking schmuck from the shadows? definitely not gideon, and I thought it might be negascott, but he looks too off from scott to be him. Any guesses?

The guy on top of Lucas Lee and below Todd Ingram?

That is totally Gideon. Notice all 7 exes on the right and Scott and co. on the left.

brb

I saw this sign on the way back from seeing this movie the the 4th time and loved it and though you would all too :p

HMJPh.jpg

soooo gooood

rezuth

PhoncipleBone said:

geekfilms2.jpg

There is more to the article after the chart. Good points brought up.
The problem is not the geeks, they are the people who see it. The problem is that the rest of the world does not see it.

AlternativeUlster said:
Too soon.
No chance. I would love for the movie to make money but there is no reason for them to put a huge gap between now and the BR. I just hope they have crammed every last single thing they can into that disc because I'll take it all.

G-Fex said:
That would be perfect. Except I don't buy BD's.

Yeah they don't sell DVDs anymore.

I can't wait for the home release. I remember at the Q&A I went to, like half of Wrights responses ended with "...and we've got that on the DVD." I just know it'll be packed with content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom