• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_G

Saw this over the weekend. I had heard it was good, but knew little else and had no real expectations. It was AMAZING. It was definitely the most entertaining movie I've seen in a lonnnnng time. I'll certainly be picking up the BD when it comes out. Keep up my 1 blu-ray a year buying pace.

AniHawk

I just finished reading the books about a week ago, and I have way more respect for everyone involved in the film. Damn. That's a lot of stuff to condense into a movie, even though characters like Stephen, Kim, Envy, don't get the fleshing out they got in the book. That also applies to a lesser extent to Ramona. However, film-Scott was less of a jerk, and I think that was a good change. I'm also pretty impressed that they managed to put some scenes from the comic up on film almost exactly like they looked in the book.

I mean, I liked the movie before, but it's pretty insane with what they had to work with and how well they managed to get all the important parts in there. I really liked that while they didn't touch on subspace at all, those scenes were still present and could be accepted as some weird magical thing (I have no idea how to describe this).

maharg

idspispopd
AniHawk said:
I mean, I liked the movie before, but it's pretty insane with what they had to work with and how well they managed to get all the important parts in there. I really liked that while they didn't touch on subspace at all, those scenes were still present and could be accepted as some weird magical thing (I have no idea how to describe this).

I've had like 3 conversations with people who only saw the film about the subspace bit and every one has had the person saying "oh that scene where they're floating to the door was literally happening?" I find it kind of amazing that people just accepted it as merely stylish flare.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
maharg said:
I've had like 3 conversations with people who only saw the film about the subspace bit and every one has had the person saying "oh that scene where they're floating to the door was literally happening?" I find it kind of amazing that people just accepted it as merely stylish flare.

It really does come off as more stylish, though, which is nice, as it helped Wright having to film like an extra 10 minutes of explanatory material. The way they leave it now makes it appear like some sort of metaphor for how "magical" Ramona really is for Scott, regardless of her ninja status, and how transitioning to her apartment was so out of the blue.

I also must be in the minority with the twin fight. I love how they handled it in the movie so much more (especially since the twins never really had a backstory to begin with).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
maharg said:
No one I knew that saw the movie really understood the subspace highway either. It was REALLY glossed over in the movie.

aparisi2274 said:
I really hope the blu-ray is like some 3hr mega directors cut with a crapload of deleted scenes integrated back into the movie.
I heard the film was shot on an extremely tight schedule and there aren't many unused scenes.

way more

maharg said:

Really? I mean people were literally shooting fireballs and literally flying around. What's one more literally impossible thing in a movie full of them?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fireye said:
I could see them putting on the Adult Swim thing that was made (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmimK80duA), and a bunch of commentary awesomeness. At least two commentary tracks, one for the cast+director, one for cinematography/special effects co-ordinator/etc.

That, would make me happy. I'm SO CLOSE to being happy, since it comes out the day before my birthday.
There's at least two commentary tracks. Cera and Kendrick mentioned in an interview shortly after the US premiere that they had just finished recording some commentary for the home release, and you know Wright's going to have a commentary track of some sort.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
mac said:
Really? I mean people were literally shooting fireballs and literally flying around. What's one more literally impossible thing in a movie full of them?
Yeah, but it lacked context. I mean, what was going on? If you don't know about subspace, then you just see her pulling him towards this door thing, and then it cuts like in any other movie.

Akim

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, but it lacked context. I mean, what was going on? If you don't know about subspace, then you just see her pulling him towards this door thing, and then it cuts like in any other movie.

Yeah, the whole subspace thing was kinda blah in the film.

The_Technomancer said:
yeah that and Ramona's one line about it when she delivers the package goes by so fast you don't really get she was literally just skating through his dreams to get to the door.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
OMG, Ramona is Lee!
mary_elizabeth_winstead.jpg

2mex2lj.jpg

I really liked this flick (and I also enjoyed the Expendables, but Rambo IV is much better than it but ANYWAY)...what IS UP with his hair? It's really fucking weird. Almost as bad as mine.

I enjoyed the hair jokes, a crack up, whole cinema laughing...but still, it's sooooo bad.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
Hey guys saw the movie and enjoyed it a ton! But just wanted to know (even though I feel like an idiot for asking) what was up with the Seinfield and jetpack joke reference?

big ander

Hi-tekk said:
Hey guys saw the movie and enjoyed it a ton! But just wanted to know (even though I feel like an idiot for asking) what was up with the Seinfield and jetpack joke reference?
1) Seinfeld: mostly for shits and giggles, also a reference to how we sometimes imagine our lives a tv shows (I know I do)
2) Jetpacks: It's just a joke that was also in the book. Stacey mentions the future, and Scott's first though it "Future means jetpacks." It's pointing towards his more childish nature.

louie

WordAssassin said:
Holy fuck I just noticed how the number 7 is part of Gideon's logo and now I can't unsee it. How did it take me this long wtf.

I can't see it :(

I can see the three G's though.

BJK

louie said:
I can't see it :(

I can see the three G's though.

They're the negative space in the triangular-shaped G's

Can't believe that I never saw it myself until now.

big ander said:
2) Jetpacks: It's just a joke that was also in the book. Stacey mentions the future, and Scott's first though it "Future means jetpacks." It's pointing towards his more childish nature.
My wife and I were the only ones to laugh at that joke in the movie theater.

G-Fex

I love the line about Scott saying he beat up someone in the past. Something about making him see the edge line of the universe or something. Like he's used to super ridiculous awesome fights. :lol

G-Fex said:
I love the line about Scott saying he beat up someone in the past. Something about making him see the edge line of the universe or something. Like he's used to super ridiculous awesome fights. :lol
curvature of the earth yeah

Mr. Sam

Messypandas said:
ah crap. i saw it twice and both times i thought he said seventy foot dude. it was so much more epic in my mind

I think, in the film, he did say seventy foot. He may have also said "kicked him so hard...".

On an unrelated note, I really want Scott's Fantastic Four and a 1/2 shirt.

Suairyu

Banned
_dementia said:
I heard the film was shot on an extremely tight schedule and there aren't many unused scenes.
The initial cut ran just under 20 minutes (I want to say 17? It's been a while since I listened to the podcast in question) longer. The material was cut for pacing reasons.

Akim said:
This scene is actually very, very telling in retrospect because Scott is saying "Nothing happened with her, it was normal, whatever" and then he's pressed about it so he makes up a huge bullshit embellished story about it to appease his listener. It's basically the secret of how he sees his life, in a nutshell, right there.

oh fuck yeah let there be a william's street Scot pilgrim animation.
I love pretty much everything they do, so I'd watch it.
Maybe it's overkill, but so far I loved the comic, the game and the movie so it's hitting 3/3.

OT - AHTF movie 2 is the going to rock.

PBalfredo

Saw the movie for the first time a few weeks ago. Loved it. I immediately bought the comic 6-pack off Amazon (unfortunately subspace deliverygirl shipping method wasn't eligible for Super Saver shipping). Seen the movie again since reading the comics and I'm impressed with how much and how well they condensed the comics into the movie. Vol 5 was pretty much cut entirely, and since that has become my favorite volume I thought what it would take to include it in the movie? But the movie is so tightly packed that it wouldn't really work without some major reworking of the movie. So it ultimately for the better.

The shortened time frame also works well for the movies' pacing (and raises the question of why the exes took their sweet time confronting Scott in the comics :p ) The only change that I don't quite see the benefit to is how much colder Ramona acts towards Scott, especially on their first date. Maybe it was meant to play up movie-Scott's lack of self-confidence? As opposed to comic-Scott who
was so sure he is and always was awesome, to a fault
. Speaking of which, the change to Scott's (main) character flaw was a good idea because
keeping true to his comic flaw would have required much more use of flashback and more spotlight on Kim and Lisa. Though it's hard to say no to more Kim, it would taken too much attention away from Ramona and would have hurt the film's pacing

WordAssassin said:
This scene is actually very, very telling in retrospect because Scott is saying "Nothing happened with her, it was normal, whatever" and then he's pressed about it so he makes up a huge bullshit embellished story about it to appease his listener. It's basically the secret of how he sees his life, in a nutshell, right there.

While I think this particular instance is just Scott giving a sarcastic rebut Ramona's prying, I see what you're getting at. Looking back at the flashback at the beginning of vol 2
I wonder how much really happened and how much is Scott being an unreliable narrator. We already know the Rivercity Ransom-esque scene at Benvie Tech is an exaggeration, but what about the rest? My interpretation is that the other scenes (except Scott telling Kim he's moving) are real and happened as depicted. However they are incomplete, partially blocked out. A lot of scenes suddenly change once Scott is asked a tough question.

Lisa: "Do you hate me?"
Scott's Dad: "Do you want her to be your girlfriend?"
Kim: "Are you guys, like, going out?"

Scott's memories seem to chicken out when it comes to his responses to hard questions. His responses are probably not flattering. Though we already do see a good amount of Scott acting like a dick to Lisa in the memories we are given.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I was going through some old Edgar Wright interviews and stumbled upon this little quote about box office numbers (in regards to Hot Fuzz):

Edgar Wright said:
It doesn’t really matter to me. If most people like the film and it finds its audience then that’s [cool]. Obviously if it costs $50M and made $20M then that would be a disaster. But it didn’t. It cost $15M and made $85M. So we’re happy.

Firestorm

If it cost $60 Million to make and made $30 Million in the US, wouldn't international box office numbers + DVD / BluRay sales have him breaking even?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Firestorm said:
If it cost $60 Million to make and made $30 Million in the US, wouldn't international box office numbers + DVD / BluRay sales have him breaking even?
I thought marketing pushed the number closer to 90 or something like that?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Yeah the $60 mil covered production costs. It's at $41M worldwide at the moment. When all is said and done, it should make back the $60M it cost to make the film.

Seth C

Scott and company are hitting dollar theaters this Friday. So, if you haven't seen it or want to go see it again you should be able to do so on the cheap this weekend. I figure I'll go see it a third time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom