• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
BobTheFork said:
At the end of the movie, it's strongly implied that Scott and Ramona leave Toronto and start over somewhere else and I thought that was very strange. Maybe it's nothing but it bothered me for some reason. I also didn't like that Ramona was basically going to leave until Scott stopped her. It works so much better in the comic where she doesn't go back to Gideon.
I never got that impression.

Dead

well not really...yet
IAmtheFMan said:
Dammit, two Best Buy's and a Target... all sold out of the Blu-Ray. Nerds of the world unite, I guess.
The stores are probably just carrying very few copies. No sense in putting out stacks and stacks of a bomba movie.

Hopefully gonna pick up my copy in a bit :D

BocoDragon

Dead said:
The stores are probably just carrying very few copies. No sense in putting out stacks and stacks of a bomba movie.

Hopefully gonna pick up my copy in a bit :D
There are way too many copies at HMV if you're in Canada.

RetroMG

Went to my Best buy on the way home, and despite the email I received, they had no record of my order. Going back in a few minutes with a copy of the email, and if I don't get my movie, or if they are sold out, there will be hell to pay.

RetroGamer42 said:
Went to my Best buy on the way home, and despite the email I received, they had no record of my order. Going back in a few minutes with a copy of the email, and if I don't get my movie, or if they are sold out, there will be hell to pay.
was it the confirmation email or the second email after that?

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
BobTheFork said:
At the end of the movie, it's strongly implied that Scott and Ramona leave Toronto and start over somewhere else and I thought that was very strange. Maybe it's nothing but it bothered me for some reason. I also didn't like that Ramona was basically going to leave until Scott stopped her. It works so much better in the comic where she doesn't go back to Gideon.
Also Ramona's hair bugged me too, it looked greasy and weird.

Damn, I really need a Blu-ray player now.

I've got 4 movies on it (good sales... and I refuse to buy DVD anymore), but nothing to watch them on.

Wanna buy a PS3, but I need a car. :/

BocoDragon

BobTheFork said:
I totally did. He leaves the band and doesn't have a job in town. Ramona even says she's leaving and he asks to come with her and start over.
Fair enough. You may be correct.

But I saw it as Ramona stating that she was leaving behind her old life/Scott. When Scott chases her down and affirms that they should stay together, I assumed her plan to leave everything behind was altered.

But who knows? :p

Mission

Apparently I was the first one to buy it at my local Best Buy. The sales girl was totally excited when she saw it in my hand. I commented that the sales seemed to reflect the performance in theatres. :(

Already watched it once. So glad I waited after the theatre visit.

Vox-Pop said:
Also Ramona's hair bugged me too, it looked greasy and weird.
I never really had a problem with that. It's hard to do the crazy colored comic hair thing right (look at some live action movie based on anime O-o) but they did 'ok' and that's the best you can do. I was mad the 'vegetarian chicken shawarma' joke didn't make it in but that's a personal complaint, it has no reason to be there : )

BocoDragon said:
Fair enough. You may be correct.

But I saw it as Ramona stating that she was leaving behind her old life/Scott. When Scott chases her down and affirms that they should stay together, I assumed her plan to leave everything behind was altered.

But who knows? :p
Well, I'm mostly basing it on the fact that it's different than the comic where
Scoot actually has a job and is in a new 'band', it;s much more clear that starting over meant just for them. When Scott is ok with Neil replacing him and SB stays together, it felt like they were freeing him up to take off. I suppose it doesn't really matter where or if they go but I was surprised by the choice I thought they made.

RetroMG

DMPrince said:
was it the confirmation email or the second email after that?

It was the "Your order is ready for pickup" email.

I went back, showed them the copy, and got my movie. Life is good.

Somnid

For the digital copy is it better to redeem through iTunes or WMP? I'd prefer WMP because I use it more but I have no idea how the DRM works in relation to computer transfers and whatnot.

IAmtheFMan said:
Dammit, two Best Buy's and a Target... all sold out of the Blu-Ray. Nerds of the world unite, I guess.

Same here. Couldn't find it anywhere in Seattle. I'll check the Target in the town where I work tomorrow.

Dead

well not really...yet
Got my copy!

Oh and uhhh thanks Universal for letting me stream Tremors or Pitch Black for free I guess!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Summertime video is awesome and should not have been cut out of the movie. :mad:

I say that mainly because of all the Kim Pine closeups in it.

jediyoshi

Drove straight to BB after class to pick this puppy up today, looks like they may've been running low and it wasn't anywhere near noon yet.

Congratulations on purchasing Scott Pilgrim on Blu-ray,
Enjoy this splash screen informing you of this limited time offer every time you run it!

Meaty disc so far, so many extra features. Got myself playing some Garbage Truck and then remembered how awesome the soundtrack was. Also, >1 commentary track = heaven.

Reaaallyy happy to see they did a full version of the ending where
he ends up with Knives. Never reading the comics, when it came to that point in the movie the first time I watched it, I felt like that should have been the real outcome. Can't gauge whether it would've been better or not or if I would have even preferred it, but it seemed like a more realistic way to send it off

ezekial45

Banned
jediyoshi said:
Congratulations on purchasing Scott Pilgrim on Blu-ray,
Enjoy this splash screen informing you of this limited time offer every time you run it!

Meaty disc so far, so many extra features. Got myself playing some Garbage Truck and then remembered how awesome the soundtrack was. Also, >1 commentary track = heaven.

he ends up with Knives. Never reading the comics, when it came to that point in the movie the first time I watched it, I felt like that should have been the real outcome. Can't gauge whether it would've been better or not or if I would have even preferred it, but it seemed like a more realistic way to send it off

The comics ended with
Scott leaving with Ramona as well. It was VERY different from the movie though.

maharg

idspispopd
I really like the original ending of the film. I wouldn't have liked the comics to go there at all, but for the movie it worked much much better. I actually really wish one of the options on the bluray was to 'watch original cut.' I am a little disappointed, even.

I wish they left the extended cut of the Crash and the Boys scene in.
"This will be our last song for the night, and your last song forever." Wallace: "Awww."

BocoDragon

maharg said:
I really like the original ending of the film. I wouldn't have liked the comics to go there at all, but for the movie it worked much much better. I actually really wish one of the options on the bluray was to 'watch original cut.' I am a little disappointed, even.
I do agree that a full alternate cut would have been nice... but now that I've seen the original ending, I'm not sure if it's actually better. It raises other questions:

Should Knives have just gotten back together with a cheater just like that, no questions asked? Maybe in real life that would happen but in for a feel-good mainstream film that's an unappealing message.

What does that turn Ramona into? If they don't go off into the sunset together, then the main plot about 7 exes looks a little weak.

I also like how they ended with the SMB2-style subspace door in the theatrical cut.

However, I know that my date at the time would have preffered the original ending. She identified with Knives and was left cold by the theatrical ending.. and she loved Ninja Ninja Revolution. :p Also personally I would have chosen the cute asian rather than the doe-eyed hipser :p She is a little thick, lol.

Just watched the BR. The quality isn't impressive and looks like it was the nostalgia that made the movie so fantastic. Watching it a 2nd time just makes it...meh.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just rewatched the film on blu

<3 <3

Edgar Wright is a genius. This fucking movie. The editing, the framing, the pacing, everything is amazing. I still can't get over what a god damn directorial miracle this movie is.

MNC

Apparently a deleted scene was after the Amp vs Amp battle; Knives meets scott after the show, and the black info box pops up and says Knive Chau: 18 years old. Obviously it would throw about the whole "We met on my birthday" scenario but I found it interesting.

Edit: Anywhere to watch the original ending on youtube, legit? :( Maybe someone uploaded it or something? :(

jediyoshi said:

I need to check that out.

In the comics, Scott and Ramona are much more fleshed out, and the story takes place over about a year-- so he really has much more reason to stay with her. Not to mention the fact that she's got more depth in the comics as well. I encourage people t check it out.

ezekial45

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
I could not watch that to the end.

Not because of the way Cera is moving.

But because of the borken Rick fixed with rubber tap... It's just... too much heartbreaking for me to endure

The what?

ezekial45 said:
The what?

The Rick(enbacker)

rickenbacker.jpg

Amazingly great (and expensive) vintage bass

Scott's bass. (btw, have this ever been discussed: How come Scott got a Rick while he's always totally broke ?)

ultron87

The
Knives
ending doesn't really work with the movie's theme of moving on with your life instead of holding onto the simple easy things.

It's the same reason that in the comics
there's no way he would've ended up with Kim, despite my best wishes to the contrary.

UnluckyKate said:
Scott's bass. (btw, have this ever been discussed: How come Scott got a Rick while he's always totally broke ?)

In the comics he was borrowing it from his brother.

ultron87 said:
The
Knives
ending doesn't really work with the movie's theme of moving on with your life instead of holding onto the simple easy things.

It's the same reason that in the comics
there's no way he would've ended up with Kim, despite my best wishes to the contrary.

In the comics he was borrowing it from his brother.

Hum, I haven't read the last three comics, that's why I didn't know that. MYSTERY SOLVED !

XiaNaphryz

ultron87 said:
The
Knives
Arguably, you can say that wasn't the intention of the movie at all in the original cut - the theme makes sense with how it turned out as is, obviously.

XiaNaphryz

I'm not sure it was entirely intentional, since she was the first character created even before Scott Pilgrim the comic was getting started.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
You can see her ribs, dude.

this is the internet dude, anyone that doesn't look like they're suffering from a wasting disease is a chubby...

MEW has awesome eyes and legs, every time I see the movie I totally fall in love with her.

Dragon

Banned
Haven't read any of this thread.

Saw the movie last night. Knives > Ramona in terms of looks although her being 17 in the movie kinda freaks me out :lol.

I liked the movie and I think that some of the ex's overshadowed Cera big time.

Jedeye Sniv said:
this is the internet dude, anyone that doesn't look like they're suffering from a wasting disease is a chubby...

MEW has awesome eyes and legs, every time I see the movie I totally fall in love with her.
I'm never "that guy" in a GAF thread, but MEW is totally average looking, especially in this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom