• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Banned
It's funny, when I first saw it in January (it was a very work in progress print), that happened and I thought it was just a temporary insert while they worked on the real one :lol

A minute later I realized what was going on.

Truant said:
I cringe every time I see Cera in this. I'm scared he will ruin the entire film for me. The rest looks decent, though.

No way! Michael Cera does a good job of playing Michael Cera in this movie!

Oh I see what you mean now...

exarkun

Anyone know where there will be screening of the movie? I've been trying to find some in either Houston or Austin but it doesn't seem like it will be coming here : (

Ferga

Although excited. ii have my doubts about this film...

defeating 7 people and cramming all those graphic novels into one film?

Seems kinda risky to me

Salsa

Ferga said:
Although excited. ii have my doubts about this film...

defeating 7 people and cramming all those graphic novels into one film?

Seems kinda risky to me

The pacing of the novels is actually kinda fast, if you read them in a row. I realized this when re-reading all of them before vol 6.

I can see a lot of content being cut though, but mainly filler stuff (awesome filler stuff that shows more character dept might be part of it, yeah..), so i can see it working out for just one movie.

Whats the runtime anyway ?

SalsaShark said:
The pacing of the novels is actually kinda fast, if you read them in a row. I realized this when re-reading all of them before vol 6.

I can see a lot of content being cut though, but mainly filler stuff (awesome filler stuff that shows more character dept might be part of it, yeah..), so i can see it working out for just one movie.

It's about 1hr and 53min.

Resilient

SalsaShark said:

I have a feeling that the Kim, Lisa and Envy back story is going to be cut significantly. In fact, I get the feeling that Lisa is going to be completely omitted from the story, as well as stuff like Jason Kim, and characters like Julie and Stephen Stills just won't get the time they deserve. Just seems like it's going to be a fight fest, but it should still be fun!

derFeef

brotkasten said:
This is terrible. I don't get the delays for some European countries. First Germany, now the Netherlands. Who's next?
I guess every country where English is not the primary language.
Goddamn.

derFeef said:
I guess every country where English is not the primary language.
Goddamn.

At least in Germany this happened to all Edgar Wright films. You could import the DVDs weeks before the movies were shown in theatres.

Jintor

Truant said:
I cringe every time I see Cera in this. I'm scared he will ruin the entire film for me. The rest looks decent, though.

B-b-but almost every piece of feedback so far has been "Cera was a pretty good pick for this role'!!!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dastardly Jerks said:
No way! Michael Cera does a good job of playing Michael Cera in this movie!

Oh I see what you mean now...
Truant said:

i seen the movie

it be good

cera is pilgrim

herp a derp

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'd never heard of the series until I saw some of the trailers, but I really want to read it now. My town is very bad for comic books and graphic novels though, maybe someone will be selling them at GenCon next week.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
bluebird said:
I have a feeling that the Kim, Lisa and Envy back story is going to be cut significantly. In fact, I get the feeling that Lisa is going to be completely omitted from the story, as well as stuff like Jason Kim, and characters like Julie and Stephen Stills just won't get the time they deserve. Just seems like it's going to be a fight fest, but it should still be fun!
Lisa is cut completely, therefore it's safe to say the HS flashback bit is also likely cut. Jason started showing up a lot more in vol 4, and the film focuses on material from vol 1-3. We may see some bit of Envy backstory (as opposed to not showing up at all) to setup the fight with ex 3, but perhaps not a whole lot.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
O'Malley and Knives from the Comic-Con screening:

4827402788_2626580cc9_b.jpg

Estival

Saw it in Massachusetts today, and I really liked it. Cera was fine... not what I would have expected from the character, but still good. I actually think the final battle was the weakest part, but other than that I liked everything.

big ander

Jintor said:
First 3 books are good, then the other 3 are all wibbly-wobbly. That's general knowledge. Everything else i derno
That's not what I've seen as the consensus.
Personally, I loved all 6. And 4 and 5 were amazing.

big ander said:
That's not what I've seen as the consensus.
Personally, I loved all 6. And 4 and 5 were amazing.
I think he's saying the movie very literally adapts the first three books, then deviates from there. I'm the wrong person to ask about that, though.

Just got back from the screening in Montreal.

Just. Fuckin'. In. Sane.

Probably my favorite movie experience ever. Cheering, laughing, clapping, everything!

So well-filmed, so brilliantly-executed, just wow. I can't wait to see it again.....in three weeks. :-(

But at least they put the
Vegan Police
in which was just freakin' hilarious!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No spoilers as I don't want to know what happens, but is the movie really THAT different from the books post book 3???

TimeKillr

Yeah, just came back from Fantasia, where it played tonight. Canadian premiere!

I'll spoiler everything that could potentially be a spoiler.

First, the "bad".

1- The movie starts off a bit slow. It's not a HUGE deal, but still.

2- Mind you, I've only read books 1-3, so I don't know about the other books, but I have been told it's this way in the others too: Every single subplot has been removed. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. The Kim Pine subplot,
every fight subplot too. Knives and Ramona do not fight in a mall, the vegan fight is kinda neutered because there's no shop scene AND the love triangle subplot is not present at all - hell you even barely see Clash at Demonhead's drummer,
etc. That's the only real "big" downside to the movie, but then again the movie runs for 2 hours already so including all of that would've just added a lot of fluff that wasn't necessary.

Now, the good.

1- It's incredibly, INCREDIBLY epic. The fight scenes are ALL amazing. Every one of them. They're just crazy over the top, fight choreography is stunning, effects actually add to the atmosphere rather than just overwhelm it, etc. It's just incredibly good.

2- While her subplot is nonexistent, Kim Pine is awesome in every scene she's in. The actress who plays her just gets the tone perfectly and it was great.

3- Micheal Cera is not "Micheal Cera". He's very good in the movie. Granted, Scott isn't a wildly deep character to play, but he still pulls it off perfectly.

4- Speaking of actors, the girl who plays Knives Chau is very good too. Plays her exactly like I thought she was like in the books: jumpy, neurotic and crazy.

5- Music is great.

6- Every reference to stuff -
Zelda music, Street Fighter, some weird DDR with ninjas spinoff, Seinfeld :lol, videogame-type icons, shitty movie actors with Lucas Lee, etc
is great.

7- I'm sure everybody's seen the trailers. At first, I was put off (watching the trailers) with all the comic books effects and such, but it's very well done. They still are kinda subtle, add to the energy of the movie without overwhelming it.

All in all, the movie was awesome. The entire crowd was WAAAY into it, yelling, screaming, applauding... the vibe of the place was just crazy.

However...

I have a HUGE feeling the movie is going to completely (bob)-omb in theaters. There are a few things going against it:

1- It's a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY geeky movie. As in it's pretty much impossible enjoy it if you're not either a fan of the books OR into geek culture. Normal movie goers (families and kids) will not like it, at all. It's too... obscure.

2- If you haven't read the books, the movie is kinda hard to follow (at least in the beginning). I read the first three and knew everything that was going on, but with all the stuff they cut the continuity is kinda weird. Everything is fixed so that it works, but time passes MUCH too quickly with very little indication. If you've read the books, there's zero issue, but if you haven't, it's a very wild ride.

I'm sure it'll sell gangbusters on DVD and Blu-Ray. And I will do my part and see it again when it officially releases in theaters.

BTW, I don't know if anybody else who saw it had it, but we had a little special video presentation from the director and the actors (that was incredibly funny) - basically the director saying he wishes he could've been there to see it with us because he knows the crowd here at this festival (apparently he's been here a few times and loves it to death, which is why we got the Canadian premiere) with the cast of major characters just waving like idiots behind him. It was hilarious and everybody enjoyed it. :)

SketchTheArtist said:
Just got back from the screening in Montreal.

Just. Fuckin'. In. Sane.

Probably my favorite movie experience ever. Cheering, laughing, clapping, everything!

So well-filmed, so brilliantly-executed, just wow. I can't wait to see it again.....in three weeks. :-(

But at least they put the
Vegan Police
in which was just freakin' hilarious!

Oh noes, we were in the same theater! I wish I knew more MTL gaffers who went - we could've had a mini meetup :)

Brettison said:
No spoilers as I don't want to know what happens, but is the movie really THAT different from the books post book 3???

No, the first three volumes are pretty much intact but the last 3 are condensed into the movie, but all the right parts were kept.

EDIT: For me, Wallace and Kim stole the show. ''All the shows we're playing are secret shows.'' :lol :lol :lol

TimeKillr

SketchTheArtist said:
No, the first three volumes are pretty much intact but the last 3 are condensed into the movie, but all the right parts were kept.

EDIT: For me, Wallace and Kim stole the show. ''All the shows we're playing are secret shows.'' :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, Wallace was incredible. And as I said, so was Kim.

Amazing. Epic!

I felt Kim and the rest of Sex Bob-Omb were a little underutilized, to be honest. They felt like background filler in most of their scenes--there to spout some humorous deprecating quip while the focus stayed on Scott playing off of Knives or Ramona or whoever--when they were some of my favorite characters in the movie (in part because of how awesome the songs Beck wrote for them were). Totally Gay Roommate was ace in every single scene he was in, though.

I'm probably going to end up writing a review for this because I can, but to give the cliffnotes version of my argument: this film is a house of cards in a hurricane; it's perfectly constructed to the point where removing one part ruins the entire thing while constantly teetering on the edge. And it works so well that it's easy to forgive its shortcomings.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
silentspork said:
Well, I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday and ordered all six books. I better enjoy them :D
Placed an order today as well; I'll read through them in one sitting as soon as they arrive and then check the movie out. The trailers seem like my kind of humor ("Is Scott here?" *crash* "No, he just left"), and I'm a sucker for a well done character driven story.

brotkasten said:
This is terrible. I don't get the delays for some European countries. First Germany, now the Netherlands. Who's next?

Spain was second with the delay, from september 24 to December who knows what fuck day.
Fuck you universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom