• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Too bad for European countries, but at least you know its coming out :/ no news of ever making it to Uruguay, Chile, and Argentina apparently.

Fuckin SUCKS. If i dont hear anything around August im gonna kill somebody.

Jintor

I AM JOHN! said:
I think he's saying the movie very literally adapts the first three books, then deviates from there. I'm the wrong person to ask about that, though.

Yeah, sorry. I keep forgetting people can't read my mind. :<

Altazor

SalsaShark said:
Too bad for European countries, but at least you know its coming out :/ no news of ever making it to Uruguay, Chile, and Argentina apparently.

Fuckin SUCKS. If i dont hear anything around August im gonna kill somebody.

we're fucking screwed, bro. I really believe that if the movie makes it to Lat. Am, it'll be next year (and that'd be a best case scenario). Hopefully I'm wrong and we get it in september or something - I don't want to wait 6 months.

Salsa

Altazor said:
we're fucking screwed, bro. I really believe that if the movie makes it to Lat. Am, it'll be next year (and that'd be a best case scenario). Hopefully I'm wrong and we get it in september or something - I don't want to wait 6 months.

I dont know man, it was the same thing with Watchmen and then all of the sudden they started airing ads and whatnot one week before the movie surprisingly came out
of nowhere
. Fingers crossed but yeah, with the Europe delays and all it doesnt look too good :( target audience isnt as big around here and Cera isnt too big of a star to promote the flick internationally. I dont know dude, i want to cry.

I can't stress out how awesome the movie is!

Especially the part where
Lucas Lee skates down the stair's railing
. That sequence was one of the best filmed and put together I have seen in a couple years. Really cool stuff.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
not shocked, just sad.

At the risk of sounding like the creators of Lost, Scott/Kim was simply not the story that BLOM was telling, and I don't think it ever was. Kim was relevant as an ex and as Scott's friend but that's as far as it goes, she was just a cool background character. I read through all of SP in the past couple of months and I didn't even see any inkling of a Scott/Kim romance until I came online to read up on the series.

Still, if you want it that bad you can always write fanfic, BLOM was saying that he wanted more people to be inspired to make comics from SP :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jedeye Sniv said:
At the risk of sounding like the creators of Lost, Scott/Kim was simply not the story that BLOM was telling, and I don't think it ever was.
It's not really the point he was trying to make I think - there's a lot of character development bits that ended up getting cut/reduced to make the film fit in its running time. And it's these character development bits that really make the comic series for many of us.

Jedeye Sniv said:
At the risk of sounding like the creators of Lost, Scott/Kim was simply not the story that BLOM was telling, and I don't think it ever was.

book spoilers ahoy:

The point of the sub-plot was that Scott is as big a dick as Ramona, and that Kim would never give Scott another chance after he blew her off when sleeping around his place. Given that the first point can be done in numerous ways (Hello there Knives) and the second point was completely missed by most people her who honestly thought Scott would get with Kim (probably those saddened by it being cut in fact) it's easy to see why it would be cut.

Given people raving about how amazing Kim is in the movie I don't think people should be too upset about it.

Empty

for those who have seen recent screenings. i heard rumblings that the ending has been changed from earlier cuts, like the one i saw, can you confirm something. (mega film spoilers)
does he still end up with knives?

Empty said:
for those who have seen recent screenings. i heard rumblings that the ending has been changed from earlier cuts, like the one i saw, can you confirm something. (mega film spoilers)
does he still end up with knives?

No.

Empty said:
holy fuck yes. i hated that ending
Call me crazy, but I think that would've been a better ending. I mean, yeah, Ramona's the girl of his dreams or whatever, but I feel like their entire relationship was forced to the point where I didn't really buy the ending. It just would've more sense for Scott to go back to Knives at the end, since she felt far more developed both as a character and as a love interest.

discohiro

A Q&A just popped up on AICN with Sylvester Stallone, with the first question coming from Edgar Wright...

Edgar Wright said:
Mr Stallone, my question is this. Will you go and see Scott Pilgrim Vs The World on opening weekend if I go and see The Expendables? Bear in mind that I saw Rambo and Rocky Balboa opening day and loved them both.

Yours faithfully, Edgar Wright (age 36)
UK

p.s. neither of us have to see Eat, Pray, Love.

Stallone said:
Edgar, I promise to see SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD only if you pull your spleen out through your nose with a tractor cable. Now, I admire the technology in SCOTT PILGRIM, I’m a supporter, I’m a fan of hard work and I believe this film is entitled to be a bona fide hit, but I truly believe if I were to grab the proverbial bag of bonbons and buttered popcorn and plop my carcass dead center preparing to enjoy the movie in all its glory, the ghosts of Charles Bronson and John Wayne would rise from their graves and snap me to death with oil soaked rat tail towels. So needless to say, I wish him well, but I gotta stay true to my roots so I’ll be watching EAT PRAY LOVE.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Empty said:
holy fuck yes. i hated that ending

WOW. Was that real?? That is insane, I would have been pissed if I saw that tbh.
Knives is lovely and all but she's not really suited to Scott IMO. Although it is kinda funny, Knives is to Scott as Scott is to Ramona in a way, she totally idolised him even after her broke her heart. But still, no way should they end up together.

XiaNaphryz

Apparently O'Malley's working on some animation shorts on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim to go along with the movie:

"it's gonna be like a series of short animations (to promote the movie).

One of them will be the vol 2 high school stuff with kim and lisa miller.

I don't know how long it will be but the rough they showed me was like 5 minutes.

The stars of the movie will do the voices for the cartoons.

I haven't seen any final animation yet but i have a feeling it will be pretty cool. Not "paper cutouts" like some people suggested. It's supposed to be fully animated and based on the book.
"

Altazor

SalsaShark said:
I dont know man, it was the same thing with Watchmen and then all of the sudden they started airing ads and whatnot one week before the movie surprisingly came out
of nowhere
. Fingers crossed but yeah, with the Europe delays and all it doesnt look too good :( target audience isnt as big around here and Cera isnt too big of a star to promote the flick internationally. I dont know dude, i want to cry.

Yeah, well, I went to the chilean Universal Pictures website and looked at the release dates for the next 6 months... Scott Pilgrim is listed on January 13th, 2011. God-fucking-dammit.

(sorry for the double post, I just found this information)

SalsaShark said:
of nowhere

Just say to everybody : Its from the guy who made Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.
Instant watch ^^

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Pacbois said:
In France it was first announced for August, then October. Now Universal Pictures says it's for 1/12 :/
What? You've got to be kidding me... If it continues like that the US blu-ray will be released before it's even in our theaters. Well, their loss since I have a region-free blu-ray player...

Belfast

XiaNaphryz said:
Apparently O'Malley's working on some animation shorts on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim to go along with the movie:

Interesting. They must be shuttling these through pretty quickly, then?

Rorschach

DanielPlainview said:
Sadly, the ending is also where the main issues lies. It feels rushed and who Scott picks doesn’t exactly feel…natural. It all seems to build up to him being with Knives rather than Ramona. They seem perfect for each other and this is even pointed out by Ramona herself. It’s not entirely bothersome, but it’s the only notable hiccup in the film.
Huh... that's not how the relationship worked out in the comic at all.

Rorschach said:
Huh... that's not how the relationship worked out in the comic at all.
I actually agree with him. That was my one big problem in the comic.
Always thought Knives and Pilgrim were a better fit.

XiaNaphryz

The_Technomancer said:
No way! I picked 5-6 day shipping, and Amazon got me volumes 1.5 overnight anyway. Awesome
Amazon often uses USPS for their slower shipping options, and if you're close to a distribution center you'll often get things quickly even with a slower option.

oatmeal

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
I actually agree with him. That was my one big problem in the comic.
Always thought Knives and Pilgrim were a better fit.

Wait...

What?

In the cut I saw back in January...

He ends up with Knives...

Did they change it? Or am I just reading this shit wrong?

XiaNaphryz

Edgar Wright stated that he was going to put in some changes to the movie once he knew what vol 6 was going to do, so it shouldn't be surprising.

oatmeal said:
Wait...

What?

In the cut I saw back in January...

He ends up with Knives...

Did they change it? Or am I just reading this shit wrong?

Wright et al. did reshoots earlier this year. I'm guessing that the original ending just didn't test well, though wanting to make it closer to the book might have been a secondary factor.

Ashhong

fuck you guys and your spoilers!!!!!

although i couldnt help but highlight spoilers from what i guess is the original ending that they changed? WOW i cant believe edgar used that as the ending.

DanielPlainview said:
FUCK FUCK. The project bulb broke 15 mins into our screening. We are waiting for them to fix it. The beginning is amazing. God damn it.

The intro is just fuckin' nuts. The whole theatre went insane and we started cheering through it. Man, I wanna see it again!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom