• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
XiaNaphryz said:
Impressions from early screenings seemed to indicate otherwise I thought.

I'm sure it did just fine with the nerd/hipster demographic that posted most of those reviews, but I don't imagine that they were the only people invited to test screenings.

The projection came back and we were able to see the rest of the movie! I loved almost all of it. A few jokes fell flat for me but there is so much greatness going on in every scene. The action is all amazing and some of the editing is just out of this world. Cera also nails it perfectly. The sound and projection was so terrible though so I can't wait to see it again.

I'd give it a 9 out of 10 and right behind Inception for the best of the year.

I also think this movie is going to bomb :/ its more niche than Kick-Ass and won't have the fervent word of mouth of Inception.

I can't believe Universal let Wright do some of the stuff he does and I'm so glad for it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
DanielPlainview said:
I also think this movie is going to bomb :/ its more niche than Kick-Ass and won't have the fervent word of mouth of Inception.

I can't believe Universal let Wright do some of the stuff he does and I'm so glad for it.

Difference with Kick Ass is it came out sort of as is, and while it appealed to more of a general comic nerd audience in the story it was trying to tell, Pilgrim at least in book form has been out for a while to garner that audience.

Both films are definitely niche, but just not sure it's really that much more niche than Kick-Ass.

DanielPlainview said:

Seriously. I'm happy they let Wright make the movie, but I think they're going to have some diminishing returns.

But shit, I'd watch it again when it comes out on the 13th.

XiaNaphryz said:
Apparently O'Malley's working on some animation shorts on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim to go along with the movie:
2ahwsuv.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Costanza tells me from beyond the banning grave that

"scott pilgrim is the defining movie of this generation and better than inception and toy story 3"

I can see what Costanza is saying. I've never seen a movie so perfectly handle my generation. I do like Inception better though, but that's just personal preference.

I truly feel like non video-game nerds and the regular public will kind of hate this movie. :lol

ezekial45

Banned
Thats too bad. The only time my theater ever had problems was before a showing of Superman Returns in IMAX. The projector malfunctioned and they had to cancel it.

Anyway, the game looks really rad. They actually brought in sound effects from the game into the movie.

daegan

DanielPlainview said:
I can see what Costanza is saying. I've never seen a movie so perfectly handle my generation. I do like Inception better though, but that's just personal preference.

I truly feel like non video-game nerds and the regular public will kind of hate this movie. :lol

I think to some extent that's why it's going to be great :D

Yep, this is the only time I've ever, ever had a theater projection problem in my 5+ years of seeing nearly every major release in theaters.

Why couldn't it have been during Cop Out or Grown Ups or Salt? :(

daegan said:
I think to some extent that's why it's going to be great :D

Yep, one of the many reasons why it is so great. :D

All of you die-hard comic fans will be extremely happy at the adaptation. It's so meticulously accurate.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DanielPlainview said:
Yep, one of the many reasons why it is so great. :D

All of you die-hard comic fans will be extremely happy at the adaptation. It's so meticulously accurate.
I dunno, sounds like I would've preferred the original ending from all the impressions I've been reading. I don't mind sacrificing a bit of accuracy for a better flowing movie, especially when we already know going in that the movie's going to be a lot looser with the material post vol 3.

DanielPlainview said:
Yep, this is the only time I've ever, ever had a theater projection problem in my 5+ years of seeing nearly every major release in theaters.

Why couldn't it have been during Cop Out or Grown Ups or Salt? :(
I went to a screening of Grindhouse (about a year or so after its initial run) at a hole in the wall theater on Beverly and the film actually melted during Planet Terror not too far from where it actually happens in the movie.

ezekial45 said:
Thats too bad. The only time my theater ever had problems was before a showing of Superman Returns in IMAX. The projector malfunctioned and they had to cancel it.

Anyway, the game looks really rad. They actually brought in sound effects from the game into the movie.
I am almost more hyped for the game than I am the movie.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
polyh3dron said:
I went to a screening of Grindhouse (about a year or so after its initial run) at a hole in the wall theater on Beverly and the film actually melted during Planet Terror not too far from where it actually happens in the movie.

What the hell kind of film were they using? Nitrate :lol

maharg

idspispopd
So awesome. So glad the rumored ending talked about in here didn't happen.
You can really tell they were aiming for Knives at the end, though. The shift from him ending up with Knives to Ramona was a bit abrupt. But to me it never ever made any sense (in the movie up to the point where it starts angling that way or in the books), and I think it's way more important to have Knives gain the maturity to realize that Scott was an ideal to her, not a person (really making her more mature than Scott). In the books, even Kim would have made more sense than Knives if not Ramona, but Kim didn't really receive enough of the development she had in the books to make that work.

oatmeal

Banned
maharg said:
So awesome. So glad the rumored ending talked about in here didn't happen.
You can really tell they were aiming for Knives at the end, though. The shift from him ending up with Knives to Ramona was a bit abrupt. But to me it never ever made any sense (in the movie up to the point where it starts angling that way or in the books), and I think it's way more important to have Knives gain the maturity to realize that Scott was an ideal to her, not a person (really making her more mature than Scott). In the books, even Kim would have made more sense than Knives if not Ramona, but Kim didn't really receive enough of the development she had in the books to make that work.

I agree.

When the film started, I was sure he'd end up with Kim...but she really got no development. As someone who hadn't read the comics, I don't know what I was missing so it didn't bother me.

I just discovered that a local anime store was giving out free passes for a screening that was held yesterday, and I just found out about it. This is what I get for not checking my email daily.

Jintor

Oh my god, so much stuff to burn through before this movie hits, and almost zero chance of getting in early showings before the date (wrong continent)...

Amir0x

Banned
well i have no way of telling if it's real or fabricated, so do so at your own risk. There's not exactly going to be an investigation every time someone does that so i probably won't be so nice next time.

oatmeal said:
That kind of bums me out they changed the ending...I thought it made sense.

Ah well, I'm sure it's not that big of a deal.

Well I was sure it was gonna end that way but then the fact that
Knives says to Scott: ''Hey, you're just gonna let her go after fighting her for the whole time?''. Everyone grows up at the end of the movie which reflects the end of Volume 6. Knives moves on, Scott learns something and Ramona's finally let her past behind.

Feep said:
Whether or not I agree with that statement, it's such a dickish thing to say.

Indeed. Avatar's accomplishments were never meant to be artistic, it was all technologically focused. Great tech wrapped around a fun popcorn sci-fi/action flick.

So fuck that guy :lol

Weenerz

Banned
Have 4 tickets to see a screener of this on the 4th, I wonder if my hatred for Michael Cera acting like Michael Cera will outdone by this forums love of Scott Pilgrim.

Weenerz said:
Have 4 tickets to see a screener of this on the 4th, I wonder if my hatred for Michael Cera acting like Michael Cera will outdone by this forums love of Scott Pilgrim.

He's not acting like Michael Cera in this movie.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Whoa, I just saw one of the newer TV spots and it has George Michael fighting Egg. I kind of want to see this now.

maharg

idspispopd
Littleberu said:
He's not acting like Michael Cera in this movie.

I wouldn't say that, but it's easily the most different he's been. A lot of that is because the surreality of the whole film both prevents him from hitting the Michael Cera groove and distracts from it when he does.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is the XBLA/PSN game tied more to the movie (as it shares the name and has a close release date to the film's) or the original comics? If it's the film, I'm wondering how the game ending there will work out (i.e. kept it similar to the original film ending, changed it when the film ending changed, it was the changed ending all along, etc).

If there were multiple endings, that would resolve that easy.

daegan

XiaNaphryz said:
Is the XBLA/PSN game tied more to the movie (as it shares the name and has a close release date to the film's) or the original comics? If it's the film, I'm wondering how the game ending there will work out (i.e. kept it similar to the original film ending, changed it when the film ending changed, it was the changed ending all along, etc).

If there were multiple endings, that would resolve that easy.

Each is supposed to be its own universe. It's been said a few times that the game is treated as if "a bunch of Japanese guys got the books and don't quite understand them."

daegan

Green Scar said:
Indeed. Avatar's accomplishments were never meant to be artistic, it was all technologically focused. Great tech wrapped around a fun popcorn sci-fi/action flick.

So fuck that guy :lol

Did you already forget all the talk about James Cameron's "vision"? I'm pretty sure he thought he made an artistic statement. Watching the Oscars it seemed like everyone else involved did.

daegan said:
Did you already forget all the talk about James Cameron's "vision"? I'm pretty sure he thought he made an artistic statement. Watching the Oscars it seemed like everyone else involved did.

I never listened to a word he said about anything. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom