• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

KimiSan said:
Ffffuck, I was just there three days ago. If only I could have somehow..
The release date here is 23rd of September. Yeah. They also changed the name to "My Girlfriend's Exes". Yeah.
What the fuck?

Personally I'd rather see this movie top Eat, Pray, Love this weekend than The Expendables. At least when I see an ad for The Expendables I don't vomit a little inside my mouth.

OH, and I LOVE the way Wright depicted
Scott's Second Life
. That entire sequence was one of the most fist-pumping bits of filmmaking of all time.

BenjaminBirdie said:
OH, and I LOVE the way Wright depicted
Scott's Second Life
. That entire sequence was one of the most fist-pumping bits of filmmaking of all time.
FUCK. YES. I liked that A LOT better then the book version.

MAJOR SPOILERS:
Especially because it was done JUST LIKE a video game when you die during the final boss. You just plow through the level from where you saved, have to sit through all the cut scenes all over again, but this time you know what you're doing so you just tear fucking ass through it all in hyper speed.

GOD DAMN I CAN'T WAIT TILL FRIDAY AAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Just got back from a pre-release screening down here in Australia.

So uh, that was incredible. Which is what I'd expected (big fan of Wright and Cera), but still: mind blown. Felt like it was targeted right at me and my generation, who grew up with gaming culture and whatnot. It's super-funny and also visually clever - not only in the sense that the combat effects are awesome, but the subtle little jokes on-screen and the editing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ezekial45 said:
I'm still waiting on Ebert's review.

EDIT: And Armond White. I'm getting the feeling he'll like it.
Wouldn't Armond White giving this a good review generate the wrong type of publicity though?

I'm going to see this tonight. That's all the opinion you'll need.

But I won't post a review until tomorrow....and it will be one or two sentences I'm sure...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I liked Envy. I hope she is also a Grade A bitch in the movie.

XiaNaphryz said:
Wouldn't Armond White giving this a good review generate the wrong type of publicity though?
No black people = angry Armond :p

WordAssassin said:
The word of mouth for this movie IS insanely positive, though. I think it'll do fine at the box office. It won't bomb, but it won't be a miraculous hit.

Word of mouth amongst the comic fan and geek community, they need word of mouth to the outside world.

ezekial45 said:
:lol

Good point. I say this because he gave Hot Fuzz a great review.
We enter a gray area here because Hot Fuzz is an amazing movie universally loved by everyone.

Funky Papa said:
Moar Envy

I like that the actors actually sang (maybe not live, but whatever) instead of lip syncing other people's songs.

Yeah that was really cool. And they actually play the instruments, too. Cera sings a couple times in the movie and one of them he's playing the guitar while singing, it's nice that it's actually them. (Like Jack Black did with the kids in School of Rock)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Does Sex B-Bomb suck in a cool-but-not-really garage band way? Because that'd be kind of awesome.

I also expect great things of gothloli Kim.

135b.jpg

YES

harSon said:
What? I think you need to re-familiarize yourself with his rotten tomato page :lol
He has pulled the black card previously. Of course he is trolling everyone, so he'll use whatever he has at his reach :p

Funky Papa said:
Moar Envy

I like that the actors actually sang (maybe not live, but whatever) instead of lip syncing other people's songs.

Man, that's just not fair, having to try and live up to Emily Haines' vocals. She wasn't bad, per se, but I MUCH prefer Metric's version :lol

harSon

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Does Clash at the Demonhead suck in a cool-but-not-really garage band way? Because that'd be kind of awesome.

I also expect great things of gothloli Kim.

He has pulled the black card previously. Of course he is trolling everyone, so he'll use whatever he has at his reach :p

He has pretty much hated on every predominantly black film in recent memory and the overwhelming majority of the films he does recommend, are pretty much without a black person in a major role.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/autho...id=&letter=&switches=&sortby=&limit=50&page=1

BattleMonkey said:
Word of mouth amongst the comic fan and geek community, they need word of mouth to the outside world.

This needs to be repeated
until the box office returns for this weekend come in and render it self-evident.

...I'm definitely in the minority then. After viewing an advance screening recently, I was less than pleased. First off, the action scenes were top notch. The movie was visually arresting. But beyond that...I thought it was mediocre. My biggest gripe is with the 'pacing'. But for the sake of others whom haven't seen it yet, I'll wait till after friday to elaborate.

I'm considering a second viewing when it hits theaters friday. There are a lot of things I didn't like about this movie but I figure maybe I'll give it a another shot.

State of mind before seeing viewing:

Incredibly hyped after viewing teaser trailer some months ago.
Re-read entire Scott Pilgrim collection (With the exception of Vol. 6; wasn't available yet)
Exposed co-workers/friends to the awesome-ness of Scott Pilgrim
Aside from TV spots here and there, I was on a SP media black-out (Not intentional)
I was effin' ecstatic I made to an advance screening!

I attended the screening with a couple of friends who weren't familiar with Scott Pilgrim at all. I thought they had some interesting views (on the movie). Overall, they thought it was a fun flick but confusing and somewhat convulated (again, they didn't even know it was based on a graphic novel). I know many fans will FUCKING LOVE IT, no doubt about it. It didn't live up to my fairly low expectation (Yeah, I love SP just as much as the next person but comic book/graphic novel to film adaptions tend suck most of the time).

Last thing! Chris Evan as Lucas Lee = Effin' awesome. Same goes for Routh as Todd. Great performances.

Funky Papa said:
Damn, that's surreal for me. I've been to tons of shows at that venue. (Lee's Palace.)

Millions of people around the world are gonna be looking at the screen assuming it's some made-up location, but for me it's real. I even worked there for two nights.

Dartastic

Green Scar said:
That's the game you're thinking of.

I know, I just still really want to hear them and there's no release date set or anything for them yet. It makes me sad. I've heard a decent amount of them already, and they're AWESOME. I'm also waiting to watch the movie before I listen to Nigel's soundtrack. Because I bet it'll be awesome.

Edit - Just heard the Metric song. So good. No wonder Envy is famous. =p

I hate it when movies come out with fake bands that totally rock because there's never more from the band then what's in the movie. This happened with Walk Hard and now it's going to happen to me again with Scott Pilgrim. Or does the rest of Beck/Metric's music sound just like their SBO/CaD stuff?

WordAssassin said:
I hate it when movies come out with fake bands that totally rock because there's never more from the band then what's in the movie. This happened with Walk Hard and now it's going to happen to me again with Scott Pilgrim. Or does the rest of Beck/Metric's music sound just like their SBO/CaD stuff?

Beck? The musician? He's pretty fantastic, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom