• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Littleberu said:
What's her opinion on Twilight?

...how is that in any way relevant? Seems pretty non-sequitur to me. She said it looks like it's for tween girls and hasn't fucked with it. But seriously, explain what you were getting at.

EDIT: Read that in a quizzical tone of voice. Not an assholish tone. :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Belfast said:
Sooo.... you haven't read the comics? Not that it really explains most of the stuff, but I think that's the way it's supposed to be. The breakneck speed of the movie might make you think it's skipping out on a lot of stuff, but it's mostly just working on video game logic (if the narrative requires it, then it happens). There's no need to really pick it apart like that, because it's not the sort of story that requires it.
Even if you've read the comics, you can tell the movie rushed through and skipped over a bunch of stuff even knowing the pacing. The books cover the span of a year, the movie makes everything seem like it only covers a few weeks at best.

The_Technomancer said:
Isn't is also strongly implied/flat out stated that
Gideon is inside Scott's head messing with his perceptions and memories? Thats why he has a memory of fighting some epic guy for Kim back in high school, when in fact he was just some nice nerdy guy that Scott beat up?
Not really. Unless you've read the last book, this wouldn't have come across at all.

WanderingWind said:
...how is that in any way relevant? Seems pretty non-sequitur to me. She said it looks like it's for tween girls and hasn't fucked with it. But seriously, explain what you were getting at.

EDIT: Read that in a quizzical tone of voice. Not an assholish tone. :D

It's only because I had the same conversation about Pilgrim representation of women in general. But the girl turned out to be a big Twilight fan. The argument stopped there.

The only "weird" case of Scott Pilgrim is Knives, but it's only because she's 17 and immature. I think that was the point of the whole movie. But, in the end, Scott is also as immature as her.

Expendable. said:
this movie FUCKING BOMBED.

came in 5th place with $10.5m.

Infinite Sadness :(
Snakes on a Plane 2010 (the Internet hype translating to nothing at the BO part; this is actually a good movie though)

ezekial45

Banned
Expendable. said:

Very sad to hear this. The movie expected so much better. However, i read somewhere that movie execs at Universal were expecting these kind of numbers. Especially when up against 3-4 movies still in popularity.

Anyway, i'm sure it'll find it's audience on home video. The movie is way too good for it to fade into obscurity.

Yeah, as I read in an interview, this was one of the few movies that the old CEO of Universal greenlit before getting fired. We should just be happy it got made, guys. Also, it's not like there's a need for a sequel or anything else.

So, Box Office for this one doesn't matter. What matters is that we got a freakin' awesome time watching it and that a blu-ray is coming out. That's all.:D

WanderingWind

Littleberu said:
The only "weird" case of Scott Pilgrim is Knives, but it's only because she's 17 and immature. I think that was the point of the whole movie. But, in the end, Scott is also as immature as her.

Eh, I see they're point though. The movie is definitely a geek's fantasy through-and-through. And c'mon. Out of the women in the movie only the angry one and his sister hadn't been with the guy.

Again, I'm cool with it, as I'm a nerdy male. But I see how some of this movie may not speak to a certain segment of females.

Chorazin said:
It might pick up 2nd weekend due to word of mouth, but it's big money will come from DVD and blu sales.
Yup, just like the 25% drop it had from Friday to Saturday.

Not meaning to be snarky, but it is not going to go up on the second weekend. The film is dead at the box office already. DVD/Blu is where it will make back a good chunk of change.

farnham said:
whats that new mnight shamalama movie the people babbling about in this scott pilgrim thread ?
2ai5253.jpg

farnham said:
whats that new mnight shamalama movie the people babbling about in this scott pilgrim thread ?
DEVIL

And he just came up with the concept. He didn't write the screenplay or direct it. When I saw the trailer and they showed this guy:
geoffrey-arend1.jpg

I turned to my friends and said: "I'm freaking out man!"
2002_super_troopers_004.jpg

And of course GAF hates him, because he is married to Christina Hendricks.
Cinema+Society+Hosts+Screening+500+Days+Summer+byxHVL_sQSEl.jpg

PhoncipleBone said:
And of course GAF hates him, because he is married to Christina Hendricks.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Cinema+Society+Hosts+Screening+500+Days+Summer+byxHVL_sQSEl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Either he's taller than I thought or was or Christina is shorter than I thought., maybe both.

XiaNaphryz

Expendable. said:

What's the estimated budget it had?

I'm guessing it won't do as well internationally either due to the weird release schedule.

harSon

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
What's the estimated budget it had?

I'm guessing it won't do as well internationally either due to the weird release schedule.

Somewhere between $60-90 million, people at the studio claim the prior but I've seen numbers leading up to the latter thrown around as well. We'll probably never know for sure, especially since it's going to struggle to recoup its budget now.

Mairu said:
I blame the extreme lack of interest from people outside of GAF and comic stores this movie had.
Lots of movies do excessive screenings. The problem was this movie had too small of a base interested in it in the first place.

Giard

Watched it yesterday with some friends. We were 7 people total watching the movie, 5 being me and my friends. :lol

I liked it, nice sense of humor, although most of it was lost in the english-to-french translation, like the
love-lesbians thing, and some others I might have guessed as "Cool story bro" and "GARBAGE DAY"

Sometimes it was overly nerdy though, like the
getting a life
part.

daegan

WanderingWind said:
My wife says she didn't really like it that much. Because it was basically a nerdy guy's fantasy. Only quirky women, having to beat up people to get the girl, a loser having girls fall all over him, etc. She also thought the females were betrayed as just fantasy templates without much more behind them.

Can't say as I disagree with her. I still loved the movie though. Screw her :p

The depth of the background characters is the one of the major things lost from taking six reasonably-sized books into one under-two-hours movie. It works very well for the film though but it does really take away from characters like Envy and Kim. I can see why she would feel that the women are "templates"...they're very much not in the comics though :(

Why should I care about this movie?

I know nothing about it but it looked to me like Cera being Cera and the now timeless go to "nerd getting quirky yet hot girl" schtick. I have no interest in it but a bunch of people have told me that I should go see it.

I agree with whoever says this thing was hard to market. The commercials look stupid and annoying. The poster is dumb and doesn't really tell me anything about the movie.

I'm glad I watched this movie though :D

WanderingWind

Buckethead said:

I know nothing about it but it looked to me like Cera being Cera and the now timeless go to "nerd getting quirky yet hot girl" schtick. I have no interest in it but a bunch of people have told me that I should go see it.

It is the loser gets the quirky/hot girl thing. But it's a play on that trope. I was in the same boat as you, but the movie is visual art and entirely enjoyable on its own merits. Give it a shot if you have any nerdy tendencies whatsoever.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Wait, where do we find out that the story is just Scott retelling it as seen through his head?

We don't find out in the source material; I think that's something floating out there that somebody (maybe O'Malley or Wright) mentioned as being one of the "secrets" of Scott Pilgrim.

Personally, I hate baseless use of the "it was all in his head!" trope, so I don't put much stock in the idea.

Takao

Banned
Expendable. said:

Yikes.

I also can't really believe Universal was expecting those numbers given the pretty large marketing push they gave this movie. I've been seeing TV spots, posters, etc. all month (more than either of the other two movies opening this weekend got). If they thought it wasn't going to do well, I doubt they would've pushed that hard.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Its not "all in his head" its more that we see things and events trough Scott's biased view and since hes a person that doesnt like to admit to his own mistakes, then he sees life the way it fits him.

Draft

Takao said:
Yikes.

I also can't really believe Universal was expecting those numbers given the pretty large marketing push they gave this movie. I've been seeing TV spots, posters, etc. all month (more than either of the other two movies opening this weekend got). If they thought it wasn't going to do well, I doubt they would've pushed that hard.
In spite of what some of the movie guys around here say, I very much doubt most studios plan on these movies having to barely scrape into profitability via world wide box office and DVD sales.

_Bro

Banned
So what I'm reading is that this isn't a good date movie? Shit, and she wanted to see it.

This girl better get some of the jokes because... money :(

XiaNaphryz

Looking at Wright's past movies, the numbers still make this his most successful opening weekend in the US. For whatever that's worth.

One thing I didn't get:

The reason why Scott went to fight Gideon the first time. I originally thought he did so because he was being a dick to him and wanted to stick up for himself, but that couldn't be it because that's why he goes his second try (hence when he earns the power of "self-respect"). Did he go because he wanted Ramona back so bad? I mean she left him and it doesn't really seem in Scott's character to take on Gideon solely because of that.

WanderingWind said:
I know. I really ought to put a stop to that...

Seriously, though. I wonder if these are common complaints from the fairer sex?

Never heard any of the girls I hang out with make complaints like that in films. Well unless it's really ridiculous that even the guys complain about it.

Expendable. said:

All we can hope now is that it pulls a Blade Runner or Grindhouse by gaining word of mouth on DVD and blow up there. Again I know what Blu-Ray I'm getting for Christmas.

daegan said:
The depth of the background characters is the one of the major things lost from taking six reasonably-sized books into one under-two-hours movie.(

I loved how Knives's best friend is like hardly there.

She only had two lines:

You already said "fat".

Knives the concert's over.

spermatic cord said:
I agree with whoever says this thing was hard to market. The commercials look stupid and annoying. The poster is dumb and doesn't really tell me anything about the movie.

I'm glad I watched this movie though :D

The marketing for this was terrible. They marketed this as simply "another Michael Cera movie". That being said I doubt that this film ever had "blockbuster potential" but in terms of making a marginal profit like making 50-85 million in the box office and recouping the rest with home video sales was very possible. Hell just look at Kick-Ass. On paper it was a marketing disaster. An R-rated superhero movie staring a highschooler, having an 11 year-old female costar, I mean hell just look at it. When I saw the first trailer I thought it was going to be some teenage/family type ordeal but was shocked to see the previews on TV with it slapped with an R rating. I was even more shock to see it perform respectably in the American box office and just as well in the foreign making it reach a near total of $100 million. And to me Scott Pilgrim is an easier film to market being that it's PG-13 and practically screams "this is a nerds/gamers dream film!"

The market was there, they just flew past it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Flying_Phoenix said:
One thing I didn't get:

The reason why Scott went to fight Gideon the first time. I originally thought he did so because he was being a dick to him and wanted to stick up for himself, but that couldn't be it because that's why he goes his second try (hence when he earns the power of "self-respect"). Did he go because he wanted Ramona back so bad? I mean she left him and it doesn't really seem in Scott's character to take on Gideon solely because of that.

Never heard any of the girls I hang out with make complaints like that in films. Well unless it's really ridiculous that even the guys complain about it.

All we can hope now is that it pulls a Blade Runner or Grindhouse by gaining word of mouth on DVD and blow up there. Again I know what Blu-Ray I'm getting for Christmas.

I loved how Knives's best friend is like hardly there.

She only had two lines:

You already said "fat".

Knives the concert's over.

The marketing for this was terrible. They marketed this as simply "another Michael Cera movie". That being said I doubt that this film ever had "blockbuster potential" but in terms of making a marginal profit like making 50-85 million in the box office and recouping the rest with home video sales was very possible. Hell just look at Kick-Ass. On paper it was a marketing disaster. An R-rated superhero movie staring a highschooler, having an 11 year-old female costar, I mean hell just look at it. When I saw the first trailer I thought it was going to be some teenage/family type ordeal but was shocked to see the previews on TV with it slapped with an R rating. I was even more shock to see it perform respectably in the American box office and just as well in the foreign making it reach a near total of $100 million. And to me Scott Pilgrim is an easier film to market being that it's PG-13 and practically screams "this is a nerds/gamers dream film!"

The market was there, they just flew past it.
What was Kick-Ass' competition on its opening weekend?

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
Buckethead said:

Don't see it. That's exactly what it is. Why did this movie bomb? Because it's trying too hard to be cool.

Qaz Kwaz said:
Don't see it. That's exactly what it is. Why did this movie bomb? Because it's trying too hard to be cool.

Trying too hard? :lol Have you read the books? The translation is pretty much intact, it's the way the books were written. Never once did I feel that the books were trying too hard to be cool. The books reminded me of Ghost World, quirky, smart and funny for people looking for something outside of the normal comic book.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this struck me as cera's best work since arrested development. it was great to see him really hand people their asses for once. i was really impressed, and totally charmed by him.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just came back from seeing it.

First things first, regarding Cera. Ok, he was better than usual, and definitely tried this time. I'll happily eat my words on this.

Second of all, someone in the thread put it best. Funnier than any other movie this summer, better action than Inception, etc, etc.

Movie was pure awesome, no doubt about it. Incredible action, amazing laughs, amazing directing and editing. This kicks Nolans thing to the curb as far as being the most entertaining movie of the summer.

Another knock out of the park from Wright.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The only thing that surprises me about the poor BO performance is that MEW's uncompromising hotness didn't get more people to go see it. As soon as she did the eyes in the trailer I was sold.

Two weeks until this opens in the UK, I can't wait.

Dead

well not really...yet
The directing and editing in this were really really impressive.

The way Wright maintained the pace by folding scene into scene, one dialogue leading into another totally different one, so seamlessly. Fuck. Its like, you can tell its totally abbreviated, but its done in a way that not only works, but feels perfectly natural and part of the proper flow of the movie.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
They should of guessed this was gonna happen at the box office. It was going up two other big movies. Kick-ass did good cause it opened up at a great time while nothing was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom