• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have to say, when i was watching a lot of the movie, i too got the feeling that i was watching something pretty damn unique. there were a lot of sequences that i felt could have been absolute freakin' disasters--
the gorilla / dragons band battle comes immediately to mind
--that i was thoroughly impressed with. the combination of teen comedy and bizarre surreality, and the game elements, also gave it an individuality and freshness i wasn't really expecting. wholly unlike anything i've ever seen.

Kraftwerk

Will go and watch it tommorrow.NO ONE I know is even remotly intrested in the movie.most of them think its some *cheesy date movie with CG".....sigh. I tried gaf,I swear I tried ;__;

kiryogi

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
Not movie Ramona or 1920 but I made this today, so I thought I'd share:

Echoing this. I'd like some nice SP wallpapers too. More so from comic. The mainsite barely has anything D:

Kraftwerk said:
Will go and watch it tommorrow.NO ONE I know is even remotly intrested in the movie.most of them think its some *cheesy date movie with CG".....sigh. I tried gaf,I swear I tried ;__;

Do what I did: Don't tell them jackshit what the movie is about and drag their asses. I made my brother and two of my friends see it during midnight launch and they, being sceptical at first, were glad that they watched it since they all loved it (so much that we didn't watch Expendables the next day for it might leave a bad taste in the mouth).

Nelo Ice

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i have to say, when i was watching a lot of the movie, i too got the feeling that i was watching something pretty damn unique. there were a lot of sequences that i felt could have been absolute freakin' disasters--
the gorilla / dragons band battle comes immediately to mind
--that i was thoroughly impressed with. the combination of teen comedy and bizarre surreality, and the game elements, also gave it an individuality and freshness i wasn't really expecting. wholly unlike anything i've ever seen.

yeah my cousin had prolly only seen the trailer or commercials but after watching it he was like that has to be one of the most unique movies ive ever seen and he loved every minute of it :D

Read and loved the comics, and really enjoyed the film, at least up until the end. I felt like it really fell apart pacing wise and I agree with the poster that was complaining about the DDR ninja machine, not sure why the movie had so many references to that.

Mifune

Mehmber
Fun movie. I've only read the first volume of the comic and this adaptation nailed it: the characters, the dialogue, the sheer kinetics.

Highlight was the
Twins Battle
. That shit was insane.

This movie was too much for my feeble brain to process. Few lowlights and flat moments (mostly involving what's-her-name from Parks and Rec) weren't enough to kill the vibe.

And oh yeah, Cera was great.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
johnsmith said:
Did anybody else think Blue Dragon during the twins fight?

my initial thought was that they were making fun of daft punk. but i think the parody is pretty layered, in retrospect, touching upon a lot of things. double dragon being the most obvious i overlooked, duh.

Gigglepoo

Was anyone else super stressed out watching this movie? I think it was the combination of sensory overload, the frenetic pacing, and the fact that Scott is always either engaged in or about to begin a fight that just made me nervous. I needed breathing room or down moments, whereas this movie just had one conflict after another and my poor heart couldn't take it.

Asbel

I'm surprised at how little I liked this movie despite being a comic and gaming fan. Also, I'm a cera fan from watching AD.

the movie was entirely fan service like a cheap anime.

none of the characters were likable cuz they're so pretentious.

and none of the fights were good. At least Ninja assassin had skilled fights.

ah, there's that word again. that word is so, like, flexible man!

No one is actually trying to impress in this movie. They're all self-labeled nerds and that's it.

Asbel

DeathbyVolcano said:
ah, there's that word again. that word is so, like, flexible man!

No one is actually trying to impress in this movie. They're all self-labeled nerds and that's it.
what makes them nerds? They didn't do any nerded stuff other than play that ninja game.

but they had cool jobs and dated cool people and are too cool to date you. That's not pretentious?

Foob

Asbel said:
what makes them nerds? They didn't do any nerded stuff other than play that ninja game.

but they had cool jobs and dated cool people and are too cool to date you. That's not pretentious?
No one even has a job (in the Movie) outside of Ramona and Stacey

Cartman86

Banned
Asbel said:

People sitting around playing videogames all day would be pretty boring. Young Neil is shown in the background playing his DS all the time. That is pretty much all you are gonna get.

Asbel

Cartman86 said:
People sitting around playing videogames all day would be pretty boring. Young Neil is shown in the background playing his DS all the time. That is pretty much all you are gonna get.
didn't say I wanted to see nerds in the movie. Just saying they weren't portrayed as nerds.

Asbel said:

Pretentious is as meaningless a word as you can find these days, but COOL has never been a word with which it's congruous. Pretentious is something that usually refers more to condescending intellectualism (itself a silly criticism most of the time, but that's another argument), not coolness.

Edit: And where the fuck do you get the impression that they're starving artists? The movie never says that EVER.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't see them as nerds or hipsters... and they aren't pretensious.

Just a bunch of poor ass Canadian kids. I think it's realistic because I know tons of 20-something kids like that.

BocoDragon said:

Just a bunch of poor ass Canadian kids. I think it's realistic because I know tons of 20-something kids like that.

Yup. They remind me of regular joes from Toronto.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Film did have a very unique style to it. Visually, it didn't have a lot to compare to. In terms of tone or heart, all my mind can go back to is "John Hughes John Hughes John Hughes". Totally a coming of age story cocooned in a romance plot embedded in a 4th wall breaking world that is laden with neat side characters that add credibility and familiarity to the strange universe for the audience to hook into. It's a shame he never lived to see this - I can't speak for the man personally, but I'd like to think he'd really admire this type of film and it's commentary on our generation, like his films commented on that generation.

BocoDragon

DoctorWho said:
Yup. They remind me of regular joes from Toronto.
It's weird because in some sense, as a young poor ass Canadian myself, these are more realistic characters than I am used to seeing in films. It's the opposite of pretension from my view... they're unusually realistic down to earth characters. (aside from the fever-dream kung fu action)

It's every TV show and movie with rich kids from SoCal that I always found to have pretensious characters.

Asbel

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Pretentious is as meaningless a word as you can find these days, but COOL has never been a word with which it's congruous. Pretentious is something that usually refers more to condescending intellectualism (itself a silly criticism most of the time, but that's another argument), not coolness.

Edit: And where the fuck do you get the impression that they're starving artists? The movie never says that EVER.
they're too cool for you personality is what I didn't like. Call it what you want.

they either get paid for playing shows and it's they're job or they don't get paid and are poor and starving.

oh, I am not trying to shit up this thread. Just saying why I didn't like it.

Zabka

Asbel said:
they're too cool for you personality is what I didn't like. Call it what you want.

they either get paid for playing shows and it's they're job or they don't get paid and are poor and starving.

Some guy in a band stole your girlfriend?

BocoDragon

Asbel said:

They're not cool. They're practically losers.

It's just that in the bizarre reality of this film, even losers like Scott, with no job, iffy social skills.... somehow has a decent band, and girls falling for him.

Asbel said:
I'm surprised at how little I liked this movie despite being a comic and gaming fan. Also, I'm a cera fan from watching AD.

Scott Pilgrim is not pretentious. He is naive, and a (sort of) likable imbecile with varying degrees of self-confidence but absolutely no self-awareness.

Probably the only characters who match the description of pretentious are the members of The Clash at Demonhead.

Edit: Oh, and Gideon, of course.

And how do you not love, let alone like, Wallace Wells? :lol

Asbel said:

Or... wait for it... they have jobs that we don't see them doing? There are lots of early 20-somethings that are in bands, as it's usually not that hard to just get together after work. Scott doesn't have a job, as that trait is part of his semi-arrested personality, but nobody else said that they didn't have a job. We know that Ramona has a job, as do Julie and Scott's sister, and there's no reason to assume that the other members of Scott's band don't have a job; there is literally nothing in the movie to fuel the assertion that they are starving artists.

Blackhead

Redarse
BocoDragon said:

Whoa slow down there. Scott isn't 'poor', he's the son of parents who can afford to take vacations to Europe and he lounges around all day and did not work for year after graduating college. I'll consider him lower middle class/bohemian.

That said I'm not sure why anyone would consider Scott Pilgrim 'cool' either. The girls described him as a lovable loser. Most of the characters are in a band that sucks. A lot of GAF would hate the crowd for being dirty 'hipsters'. The only thing going for Scott in the books is tha he's a good fighter (not really applicable in the 'real' world) and he likes videogames (and comics I guess)...

BocoDragon

Or... wait for it... they have jobs that we don't see them doing? There are lots of early 20-somethings that are in bands, as it's usually not that hard to just get together after work. Scott doesn't have a job, as that trait is part of his semi-arrested personality, but nobody else said that they didn't have a job. We know that Ramona has a job, as do Julie and Scott's sister, and there's no reason to assume that the other members of Scott's band don't have a job; there is literally nothing in the movie to fuel the assertion that they are starving artists.
But they're definitely working at coffee shops and shit. These are not rich kids... they probably don't have cars... they ride the bus and their biggest form of entertainment is a local show or a stop by the dollar pizza joint.

Charred Greyface said:
Whoa slow down there. Scott isn't 'poor', he's the son of parents who can afford to take vacations to Europe and he lounges around all day and did not work for year after graduating college. I'll consider him lower middle class/bohemian.

Well that's what I meant by poor. Not like he's in the ghetto... but he's a poor white Canadian kid. I think lower middle class sounds right.

BocoDragon said:

It's just that in the bizarre reality of this film, even losers like Scott, with no job, iffy social skills.... somehow has a decent band, and girls falling for him.
This. But not only that, in the fiction of the movie and comic they are actually a kinda shitty band (but obviously they aren't gonna subject to movie audience to bad music to get that point across but there is one scene where they play and everyone in the crowd is just silent.)

Empty

Asbel said:

and none of the fights were good. At least Ninja assassin had skilled fights.

you can do better bad posting than that. you invoked the laziest criticism out there by attacking something just for being 'pretentious', but you should really have gone for the jugular with that post. call it out as being just for 'hipsters', deride the 'gaf hivemind' who stupidly love it, throw in a 'only for manchildren' jibe, then maybe top it off with a well placed 'haters gonna hate' when you get called out.

sn00zer

Found a clip for Clash at Demonhead...soooo bad ass

I have heard of these mythical people called "hipsters" and how they ruin everything by being pretentious and wear scarves and like things like coffee and Juno...jeezus people next person to call a movie "hipster" is going to get a sound beating by an acoustic guitar

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
BocoDragon said:

It was pretty weird how many chicks Scott had falling for him, both directly and indirectly. Kind of goes back to why the film is Scott's interpretation of events in his own mind. You see him interacting with Knives in the beginning and this chick is totally taking cues from him, and he still seems skittish to make a move. Yet, he's had more than a few chicks in his wake wanting a piece of him. Maybe he's damaged in the wake of the Envy break up, but it is possible that these infatuations following him around are little made up on his part.

BocoDragon said:
But they're definitely working at coffee shops and shit. These are not rich kids... they probably don't have cars... they ride the bus and their biggest form of entertainment is a local show or a stop by the dollar pizza joint.

Well that's what I meant by poor. Not like he's in the ghetto... but he's a poor white Canadian kid. I think lower middle class sounds right.

Man, I'm a broke twentysomething in NJ. Maybe I should just take my ass to Toronto. :lol

BocoDragon

darkressurection said:
This. But not only that, in the fiction of the movie and comic they are actually a kinda shitty band (but obviously they aren't gonna subject to movie audience to bad music to get that point across but there is one scene where they play and everyone in the crowd is just silent.)
I assume Scott gets popular girls, and their crap band somehow gets interesting gigs, in the same way that he also knows Kung Fu... It's all part of the fever dream of the SP universe (or in Scott's head).

The same character in real life... his band would suck, he'd play local dirt hole gigs, and that's it.

Gooster said:
Man, I'm a broke twentysomething in NJ. Maybe I should just take my ass to Toronto. :lol
Scott's so poor he doesn't have his own bed. Dudes.. this is a poor-ass life.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
It was pretty weird how many chicks Scott had falling for him, both directly and indirectly. Kind of goes back to why the film is Scott's interpretation of events in his own mind. You see him interacting with Knives in the beginning and this chick is totally taking cues from him, and he still seems skittish to make a move. Yet, he's had more than a few chicks in his wake wanting a piece of him. Maybe he's damaged in the wake of the Envy break up, but it is possible that these infatuations following him around are little made up on his part.
Yup.

Also, I just saw this posted on my Twitter feed http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2010/08/12/129150813/-scott-pilgrim-versus-the-unfortunate-tendency-to-review-the-audience?sc=fb&cc=fp some of the review quotes in this thing are seriously stupid. If you have to stoop to criticizing a movies audience to make a point then maybe you shouldn't be reviewing stuff. Some of these would be like me reviewing a JRPG then not liking it and saying "I couldn't stand this game because of all these Weeaboos gushing over it" (No offence to fans of JRPGs just making an example)

BocoDragon said:

yeah if anything it glorifies slackerdom

Asbel

oh man.. I don't even care if they're rich or poor. They get to rock out.

on plane. Lata.

BocoDragon

Asbel said:
oh man.. I don't even care if they're rich or poor. They get to rock out.

And have kung fu battles.

They aren't realistically "cool" characters... they're insane "never on this planet would this be possible because they're so normal" characters.

JAD0109

Neo Member
Could someone edit this wallpaper to make it 1920x1200? Maybe blur the edges/fade the edges to black or something?

jax3qx.jpg

Source

Luigiv

So it last night. Was pleasantly surprised to see how well it worked. The trailers looked really tacky and made the film look like it was trying too hard to appeal to us of the Nerdcore, but once you see everything in context all the cheesy effects and silly references actually work really well.

Now I must track down the comics.

Jintor said:
Man, are we gettin' an Ebert review or what? I want to see his take.

Roeper tweeted that he was covering for Ebert in the sun-times these next few weeks while he works on a memior. He probably just decided not to review a couple movies this last weekend.

Asbel

Empty said:
you can do better bad posting than that. you invoked the laziest criticism out there by attacking something just for being 'pretentious', but you should really have gone for the jugular with that post. call it out as being just for 'hipsters', deride the 'gaf hivemind' who stupidly love it, throw in a 'only for manchildren' jibe, then maybe top it off with a well placed 'haters gonna hate' when you get called out.
sorry man, I don't care for internet arguments and didn't put anyone down for liking this movie. It was simply my opinion that I didn't find the characyers likable. It had nothing to do with them being rich or poor cuz either could be great people or a holes.

BocoDragon

Inferno313 said:
Roeper tweeted that he was covering for Ebert in the sun-times these next few weeks while he works on a memior. He probably just decided not to review a couple movies this last weekend.
He is cleverly avoiding anything to do with gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom