• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle Fed. Judge grants temporary restraining order on Immigration Ban nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

The scandal with Lewinsky and Bill Clinton appeared in the media in January. Impeachment wasn't initiated till December 19th

It's going to take a while.

I think they are letting him hang himself properly first. Otherwise they would be in there trying to control him to some degree.

Six of one, half a dozen of another. The intent to delegitimize is the same in both cases, they were attempting to call rulings illegitimate via the "activist" moniker just as much as "so-called" does. The new rhetoric is just indicative of how far right the party has swung and how little it or its base care for traditional rhetorical norms anymore.

If we wash-away the difference between the two phrases by claiming they are so close as to be practically indistinguishable, then we give permission to move closer to fascism -- as long as each step is is so teeny different than the last.

I really don't get this style of counter-argument here. There is a difference, and that difference is important!

This kind of blurring-differences nonsense is why actual white supremacists and neo-nazis under the name 'alt-right' have emerged and feel it is safe to take part in 'civil' discourse -- they take cover for their hate through the gradual pushing of the boundaries of civil society.

Kettch

I don't see Republicans impeaching Trump over actions he's taken to this point, but things can always get worse. There will be a breaking point eventually if he goes far enough.

Jobbs

Banned
I think they are letting him hang himself properly first. Otherwise they would be in there trying to control him to some degree.

I would love to be wrong because as terrible as Pence is I still think Trump is worse..

But it's just not going to happen. The republicans in congress are terrified of the base. They don't care about whether he is dangerous or whether he "should" be impeached. Both things are clear but that's not what's motivating them.

These attorneys are here from 8am to 11pm everyday. Volunteer attorneys.
C31h2RXWAAIfWRv

American heroes.

From the NYC protest today:

Would've been so much cooler without the Satan tag. A bit too on the nose.

pestul

I would love to be wrong because as terrible as Pence is I still think Trump is worse..

But it's just not going to happen. The republicans in congress are terrified of the base. They don't care about whether he is dangerous or whether he "should" be impeached. Both things are clear but that's not what's motivating them.
This is true, based on what has occurred thus far, but I can see the guy digging a hole for himself and basically alienating everyone including those he thinks are his closest allies..

I don't see Republicans impeaching Trump over actions he's taken to this point, but things can always get worse. There will be a breaking point eventually if he goes far enough.

That's the key thing. Eventually it will be a bridge too far, and him openly attacking how our works is at minimum building the foundation.

This is true, based on what has occurred thus far, but I can see the guy digging a hole for himself and basically alienating everyone including those he thinks are his closest allies..
Even rats abandon sinking ship

Unless they're insane white nationalist rats

PJV3

I think the base cares more about getting their policy enacted, they can dump him and still get what they want and run the country for years.

Joeku

If Trump were to attemp to pass an EO on Monday saying they're literally making camps and rounding up all the Muslims and putting them in there, a whole lot of his base would say "Makes sense. He's trying to keep us safe!"

He cannot go too far for them, and in turn, they are what is now propping up the Republican congress. They can't afford to lose those voters by removing their god-king.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think the base cares more about getting their policy enacted, they can dump him and still get what they want and run the country for years.
He's not your standard GOP candidate. If they wanted one of those we would have President Jeb Bush. His base would be pissed.

PJV3

He's not your standard GOP candidate. If they wanted one of those we would have President Jeb Bush. His base would be pissed.

Perhaps, but the current vice president is their kind of guy from what I can see, I'm not saying they will be happy, I'm saying they could easily live with it compared to their last few presidential candidates.

Trump will still need to be crossing the line more than he is now for anything to happen.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is a good day, sanity prevails. Trump's angry tweets are gold, like a spoiled child and an angry old man combined

liquidtmd

Banned
At this point, pray he seriously gets angrier and angrier until he absolutely lands a golden tweet that hangs him.

I'd say no-one could be that stupid, but based on his last tweet...

Jobbs

Banned

I just don't see the base bailing on trump. If his policies aren't enacted it'll be blamed on some bogeyman (obama, liberals, hillary, the media, etc).

People this ignorant and angry are particularly susceptible to confirmation bias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom