• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle Fed. Judge grants temporary restraining order on Immigration Ban nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 24 hours after the judge's decision, he still doesn't understand.

C32VZuPUcAU6N-1.jpg

Vena

He's effectively losing all (if he had any) favor with the Federal Circuit of Judges, even conservative ones which will bite him in the ass in the long run but it will be especially onerous for Bannon who's trying to push through all sorts of unlawful, racists bullshit under Trump's signature.

And the thing is, with Judges, they not only generally have a spine unlike all of the Legislature, but they also wield a lot of power to just tell Trump and his orders to fuck right off.

Even more, a large chunk of his own DoJ will obstruct and delay any attempts by the Executive to challenge the Judicial as is occurring even now because a large % of them do not like him and the judges will be a rallying point (that wields power) for a lot of government people who do not want to follow this President.

And, to top it off, Gorsuch, his own nominee, would likely side against many of Trump/Bannon's orders because they would be unconstitutional on multiple levels.

teiresias

Why not? One of the core issues here is going to be the Executive branch ignoring the Judiciary.

But they're not ignoring the ruling of the Judiciary with this order, unless I've missed something. The arguments in this case are going to be about the constitutionality and legality of the EO itself, not Trump's personal opinion of the court system or any individual judge.

I think the left is again taking their eye off the ball focusing on this "so-called" nonsense, when it's really just a lateral move from normal conservative rhetoric of the magical "activist judge."

But they're not ignoring the ruling of the Judiciary with this order, unless I've missed something. The arguments in this case are going to be about the constitutionality and legality of the EO itself, not Trump's personal opinion of the court system or any individual judge.

I think the left is again taking their eye off the ball focusing on this "so-called" nonsense, when it's really just a lateral move from normal conservative rhetoric of the magical "activist judge."
Not really. We already know it's not constitutional. Basically all what the guy is saying who let me remind you is the former DoJ for Obama. If Trump wants to have any account ability in court he needs to stop tweeting this stupid bullshit. He's not helping his case.

Vena

Why not? One of the core issues here is going to be the Executive branch ignoring the Judiciary.

I think the point of the last few days has been that they cannot and have not managed to circumvent the Judicial. Their order was stopped cold, the DoJ is internally self-delaying a challenge because some/most/all of its staff do not like Trump, and, to top it off, Trump nominated a Constitutiounalist to the SCOTUS which, if he challenges the Judicial, would undermine himself.

NPR took a closer look at robarts and his reasoning:

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/04/51344...and-why-did-he-block-trumps-immigration-order

Judge James L. Robart did not have to actually rule on the legality of President Donald Trump's executive order barring people from seven countries from entering the United States.

In granting a temporary restraining order, the judge essentially had to decide that the plaintiffs (the states of Washington and Minnesota) were:

likely to succeed at a later date
that people in those states could suffer irreparable harm if the ban continued
blocking the President's order was in the public interest.
In other words, he decided there was more harm letting the ban continue than there was blocking it until the full case could be heard.

Patrick S.

Banned
Hahaha
Congratulations USA, you have a president who doesn't know separation of powers exists or what it is.

I would love for him to take a basic quiz about politics, geography and history.

He has no political education of any kind. A person like him wouldn't even be able to land a job as a town hall administrative assistant here in Germany.

Tovarisc

Yes.

Also I'm gonna post a tad twitter hate here. With twitters having posts limits.. We know have critical country decisions reduced down to 140 letters.

This isn't just started with Trumo either. Been something I haven't liked for a long time.

Big policy makers like President shouldn't talk about anything that could guide, influence, reveal etc. policy in making. What stuff Trump is tweeting is extremely reckless, imo.

Kifimbo

If anything, he's building a narrative that he will use when there is inevitably a terrorist attack in the US. It won't matter who is it, he will say 'I told you so'.

Boke1879

If anything, he's building a narrative that he will use when there is inevitably a terrorist attack in the US. It won't matter who is it, he will say 'I told you so'.

That's all I can see him trying to do but he fucked that up with this stupid ass EO.

Oh. my. God. This ass clown has to get his phone taken away.
A while ago, I would have agreed. But now...no, let him dig a hole tweet-by-tweet. Every tweet by Trump hurts Trump, gives the people and the courts and so on more ammunition against him. And the short character length exposes his stupidity and crassness. He has to be blunt on Twitter, no space to hide it behind extra words

There is a distinct difference between the 'activist judge' slur and 'so-called judge'.

The first grants that judges have the authority to make rulings, but implies judges are wielding their power in bad faith for 'activist' causes.

The second shows a complete and utter disrespect for a co-equal branch of government by openly questioning the judge's standing and authority.

I thought it wasn't a ban?

Jesus, this dude is gonna get wrecked in court because the animus is clear.

So do you guys think this is propaganda to sway popular opinion, or does the President really not know how our immigration/visa system works?
Later. With that lack of knowledge due to propaganda from other forces that have long opposed muslims

teiresias

There is a distinct difference between the 'activist judge' slur and 'so-called judge'.

The first grants that judges have the authority to make rulings, but implies judges are wielding their power in bad faith for 'activist' causes.

The second shows a complete and utter disrespect for a co-equal branch of government by openly questioning the judge's standing and authority.

Six of one, half a dozen of another. The intent to delegitimize is the same in both cases, they were attempting to call rulings illegitimate via the "activist" moniker just as much as "so-called" does. The new rhetoric is just indicative of how far right the party has swung and how little it or its base care for traditional rhetorical norms anymore.

joe2187

Banned
So....now It IS a ban?

because they loved to play the semantics game when the media called it a ban and stressed that it wasnt a ban, now it is a ban!?

What a fucking shitshow with this idiot cant even keep track of his own internal consistency.

Kadin

I hate that i'm so uneducated when it comes to the law, but if the DoJ files an appeal, does that appeal go back to the same judge? I believe it does, or at least that's how I thought it works in other courts. But I could be totally wrong here.

Jobbs

Banned
The scandal with Lewinsky and Bill Clinton appeared in the media in January. Impeachment wasn't initiated till December 19th

It's going to take a while.

And that happened because republicans controlled congress and democrats the whitehouse

republicans are absolutely not going to impeach trump. only a few outliers even speak out against him at all. the core establishment (ryan/mcconnel) are towing the trump line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom