• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi |OT| IT'S SENGOKU TEA TIME!

xkWNT9I.jpg

KX347Db.png

• Developer/Publisher:Capcom
  • Platforms PS3/ PS4
  • Release Date:
    • JP: July 23rd, 2015 (PS3, PS4)
    • NA/EU: lol
  • Opening Theme: DOUBLE-DEAL by T.M. REVOLUTION
  • Ending Theme: Heavenly Blue by Chiaki Ishikawa
  • Websites: Official Website

Rounding the 10th anniversary of the start of the Sengoku Basara series, Capcom's take on the musou series, is the expansion pack of the 4th game. With 3 new characters, returning characters, crazy new gameplay and more over the top action, it'll definitely be a party especially as this series' first entry into the next gen consoles.

There's also a limited edition, that comes with all of the collaboration costumes, a small artbook and a prettier box.

vymewwG.png

Localization?
Don't get your hopes up, lol
Unless a miracle happens, this series is probably staying in Japan only from now on.

Can I still play it without knowing Japanese?
Yep! The main chunk of the game, being based off musou games, is not very language intensive and you usually can figure out what to do based off markers from the map. There is also a very good blog, Raindrops and Daydreams,
that would most likely translate key parts of the menus, items, skills, abilities and many others parts of the game. There are also guides/translations of menus and most things from Sengoku Basara 4.

What's the difference between the PS3 and PS4 version?
PS4 version runs in 1080p at 60fps and you can take screenshots along with the usual remote play and share feature. It also looks sharper and doesn't drop while playing 2 player mode.

What's the difference between this game and the original Sengoku Basara 4?
Unlike other Musou expansion packs, this game contains all the story modes from the original game so there's no real reason to play the original Sengoku Basara 4 after this comes out.

OYAKATA-SAMA
YUKIMURA!

IYEASUUUUUUUUUUUUU

3zC72EL.png

Battle Roulette: In the middle of a stage, a roulette can start, which can result in different outcomes from additional tenka coins, transformations into unplayable characters such as a bomb carrier, the "invincible" Kanetsugu Naoe, complete power up for your character or something dangerous as bombs falling from the sky.
Tenka Coins: Coins gained from the Battle Roulette which can used to purchase new costumes for your characters, voice clips, weapons or new skills.
Skill Revision: Each character gains one new move to their moveset. It is tied to the L1+Square combo.
In addition, there's a new difficulty level, Heaven, which is hardest one yet, the max level cap is now 999, you can hold more weapons and tag mode is available from the very start of the game.

c7q1Z56.png

First Time Playable:
Ashikaga Yoshiteru
The former shogun of the country, he decides to see if the next generation of warriors are worthy of taking his place.
Weapon: Transformable Shaku Baton (can switch between a sword, spear and bow)

Kyougoku Maria
Azai Nagamasa's elder sister, who is considered the most beautiful in all the land.
Weapon: Long Sleeves

Sen No Rikyuu
A famous tea master with a split personality.
Weapon: Folding Fans

Returning:
Maeda Toshiie and Matsu

Uesugi Kenshin and Kasuga

Takeda Shingen

GZCX4SJ.png

c4kSp6j.png

Trailer #3
Trailer #2
Trailer #1

Collab DLC costume trailers:
Street Fighter
HOT LIMIT
Tales of Zestiria
New Japan Pro-Wrestling
Resident Evil
Monster Hunter

Special thanks to Raindrops and Daydreams for being an amazing blog and Sengoku Basara reference. Great source for news about the series as well as translations for the games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Totally forgot this was coming out. I'll have to pick it up once payday comes around.

TreIII

Awwww, yeah. My copy of Sumeragi will be here in a few days, and I can't wait to put this into rotation with DMC4SE for the rest of this summer.

Also, nice OP!

God, I wish this would come out in the west. Gonna have to wait a bit for the import to drop in price before I join the fun. You lucky buttholes. :)

ezekial45

Banned
I just started playing SB: Samurai Heroes again recently. Bad timing, though. Because it sucks that we're not gonna see this one released here. I'm seriously considering importing the PS4 version.

Still on the fence about buying this.
Should've bought the special edition while it was cheap on Nin Nin.
I want that costume set :/

One_San

I'm extremely excited for this. Less than 4 hours to go before I get to play it.

This is the first time I really get to experience an expansion. I had the US version of SB3, so I had to start fresh with Utage. PS2 wise I played SB2H first, and with the HD collection, I used the option that unlocked all stages, costumes, and leveled everyone to 99 for the sake of saving time.

I really want this. Love musou games and loved Sengoku Basara on PS3.

Thinking about importing this, but on play-asia, they list a 45.99 Asia version and a 54.99 Japan version. Is there a difference?

One_San

My last one was Utage as well, so going to jump to Sumeragi right away.
Also, I wonder why they stopped localizing those games.

Capcom dropped the ball with the localization of SB3. The had the game voiced with a some fairly high profile ANIME voice actors and then failed to advertise it outside of a few web banners on misc. websites. They then expected a game that only sells a few hundred thousand in JP to sell several times that in the US, even without any real advertising.

Some actual fans didn't even know this was being localized until it already launched.

So Capcom saw this as the games being unwanted in the west, since 3 sold so poorly. Also didn't help that many of the big review sites that reviewed it only saw it as nothing more than a shallow DW clone.

Vossey

Neo Member
Capcom dropped the ball with the localization of SB3. The had the game voiced with a some fairly high profile ANIME voice actors and then failed to advertise it outside of a few web banners on misc. websites. They then expected a game that only sells a few hundred thousand in JP to sell several times that in the US, even without any real advertising.

Some actual fans didn't even know this was being localized until it already launched.

So Capcom saw this as the games being unwanted in the west, since 3 sold so poorly. Also didn't help that many of the big review sites that reviewed it only saw it as nothing more than a shallow DW clone.

Very much this, quite sad actually, from the sounds of it, this one will be the best of the series so far too.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Can't wait; switched up my pre-order to the Limited Edition because I wanted all those costumes anyway.

But my copy still hasn't shipped yet. Hoping it ships by tomorrow so it will arrive Friday.

I'll be starting the game up now and streaming it if you guys are interested. The wait for this game has been agonizing, and I'm glad it's finally over.

twitch.tv/tetsuo9999

I really want this. Love musou games and loved Sengoku Basara on PS3.

Thinking about importing this, but on play-asia, they list a 45.99 Asia version and a 54.99 Japan version. Is there a difference?

No big difference between the asia version and the japan version, just gotta remember which version you get as that depends on which region psn store you go to for the dlc if you get any.

Lyte Edge

No big difference between the asia version and the japan version, just gotta remember which version you get as that depends on which region psn store you go to for the dlc if you get any.

No, that shouldn't matter in this case. It's the Asian version but it's still the same region as Japan. If the game is listed as being for Asian regions (I.E. the English Asian Deception IV for Vita), then you need access to an Asian territory PSN account.

The only difference is the box and possibly some stuff in the manual. Also the resale value will be lower or it may not be accepted at all at some resellers.

Sweet, thanks for the reply. Went ahead and ordered the Asia version from Play-Asia! Can't wait to get my hands on it SB3 was a blast. This will be my first import since either Demon Souls or one of the Naruto fighting games for Gamecube! Haha

Note on DLC for the PS4 version:

I just tested this with another account and I think you're right. On PS4, the DLC seems to be linked to the PS Store rather than the local console so if it can't find the data in the store it doesn't unlock in the game - and of course, there's no data for this game in PlayStation Stores based outside Asia.

so sucks if you were looking into carrying over a save from Sengoku Basara 4

and I guess I'll need to dust off my Japanese account while playing this :/

also will suck since I won't have the trophies on my main account ~_~

Prophane33

My copy won't arrive till Saturday; however, I'm wondering if there is there is a way to transfer PS3 SB4 saves to the PS4 version of SB4S yet?

Lyte Edge

P-A still hasn't shipped my copy and LEs are now listed as sold out. Hope I didn't get screwed by changing my order. No Basara for me this weekend. :/

My copy won't arrive till Saturday; however, I'm wondering if there is there is a way to transfer PS3 SB4 saves to the PS4 version of SB4S yet?

Yup, just update the PS3 version and an option to upload your save will be avsilable.

I'll be on this in a few weeks. Probably cop that digital copy because I don't want to wait seventeen years for a physical one to get dropped off at my place for a chance of it getting stolen.

During my hibernation, where do I start? The only Sengoku Basara game I've ever played through extensively was 3, and
to be honest, I enjoyed the combat and depth far more than any Warriors games. I'm sorry, ZhugeEX.

The only Sengoku Basara game I've ever played through extensively was 3, and
to be honest, I enjoyed the combat and depth far more than any Warriors games. I'm sorry, ZhugeEX.
While I do love both, I completely agree with your assessment. Also, I have a feeling you will love Ii Naotora when you get the game. Her gameplay mechanics are unique and oh so satisfying to chain together.

Lyte Edge

I contacted P-A. They haven't received their stock of PS4 LEs yet and think it might be next week. Asked if I could just change it back to the regular version...I want to play this game ASAP. T_T Too late to get it this week now anyway.

While I do love both, I completely agree with your assessment. Also, I have a feeling you will love Ii Naotora when you get the game. Her gameplay mechanics are unique and oh so satisfying to chain together.

Oh god that looks sick.

Well, if I get this promotion, I'm definitely buying this and the rest of the games for myself.

Vossey

Neo Member
The game is sitting in my bag right now just burning a hole! Can't wait to go home and fire it up! Quite excited about it, i love getting new games. I remembering being younger and have Mario 64 before having an N64, i read that instuction booklet until I remembered every word, wish this had one i could read, lol.

Top Bottom