• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi |OT| IT'S SENGOKU TEA TIME!

Pouh

Hello Basara-gaffers,

is there a way to use the "import data" function from a PS3 save to a PS4 version of Sumeragi ?

Hello Basara-gaffers,

is there a way to use the "import data" function from a PS3 save to a PS4 version of Sumeragi ?
Someone else will have to give more details, but I've read that there was a PS3 update for 4 that lets you upload the save, which can then be imported into the PS4 version of 4S. IDK what the actual process, menu wise, is or what exactly gets carried over. I just know the ability is there.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hello Basara-gaffers,

Yes. You just update Basara 4 on PS3 and a new option to upload your data to the cloud becomes available. Then you start up Basara 4 Sumeragi on PS4 and an option to import your data will come up.

Pouh

Thanks for the answers, it worked !

It seems that having your save on a western account (not Japanese or Asian) messes with weapons or boost DLCs, but I'm not concerned AFAIK.

Dizzy-4U

Finally completed a bingo book....and got nothing. I was expecting a rare weapon or something. Disappointed!!!

Anyways, 70% of all stories done. I'm a little burnt out, I'll probably stop for a week.

Super excited for this game. Is there a menu translation guide out there somewhere yet?

Check the link to Raindrops' blog in the OP

Go to the Articles tab and pretty much everything you need should be in the two Basara 4 guides and the Sumeragi guide

Should also just point out that Raindrops is the best and does awesome work for us non Japanese speaking Basara fans

Coda

Check the link to Raindrops' blog in the OP

Go to the Articles tab and pretty much everything you need should be in the two Basara 4 guides and the Sumeragi guide

Should also just point out that Raindrops is the best and does awesome work for us non Japanese speaking Basara fans

Ahh great, I was looking there but didn't click on the "Articles" tab. Thanks! Can't wait to start racking up massive combos in this game.

What the fuck do you even do? I end up hitting like maybe 6 of the bells and five minutes later it opens up.

Some of these stages need a guide.

Hit 7 bells and she appears.

I thought there would be a bonus or something special for hitting all the bells before she appears but seems to be impossible ~_~

Raindrops and Daydreams does have a guide to the hidden objectives to the stages, they are just a bit all over the place with the stages in the original game on one page and the others on the other page. Just gotta do some digging.

One_San

Hit 7 bells and she appears.

I thought there would be a bonus or something special for hitting all the bells before she appears but seems to be impossible ~_~

Raindrops and Daydreams does have a guide to the hidden objectives to the stages, they are just a bit all over the place with the stages in the original game on one page and the others on the other page. Just gotta do some digging.

5 bells trigger Magoichi, 7 trigger Tsuruhime. The only way to get them all before she appears is get a fast character on her stage during a story so a lot of dialogue happens. Luckily the fastest character, Kotaro, ends his route on the stage. It's still not easy and you don't get anything. Aaaaand it's probably more doable with 2 players.

squall23

I was surprised when they decided to make Naoe Kanetsugu as a good transformation. I was sure he was going to be a roulette punishment.
Is there a beginner's guide to this game? I tried reading the Raindrops site, but it's just a ton of text that doesn't make too much sense to me.
Press square to hit things. Level up your characters so you can press other buttons and button combinations to hit things differently and make combos. It's like Devil May Cry in a way. The great thing about this game is that there are so many characters and all of which play very differently.

I was surprised when they decided to make Naoe Kanetsugu as a good transformation. I was sure he was going to be a roulette punishment.

Press square to hit things. Level up your characters so you can press other buttons and button combinations to hit things differently and make combos. It's like Devil May Cry in a way. The great thing about this game is that there are so many characters and all of which play very differently.

I can do that much. I mean the things that aren't quite so obvious, like... everything outside of actually mashing buttons in-game. Buying/crafting weapons, etc.

TreIII

I can do that much. I mean the things that aren't quite so obvious, like... everything outside of actually mashing buttons in-game. Buying/crafting weapons, etc.

Raindrops' guides are wordy, but they are probably the best English-speaking resource you can get. For a first timer, I wouldn't worry so much about trying to soak up everything at once. The good thing about BASARA is that you can afford to go at your own pace and the game "opens up" as you start learning more.

But if you want more in the way of visual aids, I'd start with some youtube vids. For example, here's tetsuo's vid outlining how Tag can be utilized in SB4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmbpkBnZ-k

Rules have changed slightly for Sumeragi, thanks to the "Level 50" requirement being removed. But everything else is still quite valid.

Another explaining the (vanilla SB4 version's) weapon system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKiLIzoM0lU

Weapon system is much better now in Sumeragi (and I'll guess he'll make another vid to showcase that much in depth sooner or later), but the basics are still valid.

There's also a few guides to help with the newer stages added in Sumeragi, and their requirements in order to get the best score bonus for that stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQTSyGC0Kdc

It's good to know about those bells. Seriously thought I had to find all of them.

Go to the main page. Learn the menus, what each thing means. Play around a bit, you really can't mess up much.

He tells you what each battle means, and you can eventually suss that one out anyway (duel, bonus stage, anime route, drama route, etc).

Don't worry about movesets. There's a link on his page to a list of moves you can do for most characters.

For now, I'd recommend going through Normal, getting some weapons, and THEN focus on upgrading one character. After you do it once, it'll be easy for the rest of the cast.

One_San

It never occurred to me to post about the Out of Bounds glitch here. Through the use of Sorin, you can go out of bounds, or through anything whatsoever.

Zexxthecrow
was nice enough to record the glitch since he was interested in it, and I had no way of recording in any meaningful quality.

Video of the actual glitch in action using a speedrun mentality, from Zexx.

How the glitch works is simple. in SB4S, the tag system got some improvements. One of which is Direction + Tag now makes the character tag in while running, which means they are technically acting earlier than if you just tagged out.

Sorin's SS3/3rd R2 where his Xavi head turns into a little mech can abuse this. When you tag out while this skill is active, he instantly powers down. If you tag back in before it finishes, he still has to power back down, and he does so once you technically have control over him, and he will do it regardless of where he is. This in tandem with...uh....Dashing Tag? causes him to appear a distance behind where the character would normally be, and since he has to power down, he does so in locations you would normally not be able to be.

It's fun and lets you see places you wouldn't normally. Can also break stages to a degree, or be used to speedrun once you get used to how specific stages handle boss triggers.

Input is essentially:

Tag to Sorin > SS3 > Tag out > wait a short amount of time > Direction + Tag. If done right, he should Tag in about an evades distance behind you, no matter what's there or not.

In a lot of places you can't be using this, you can't really jump. It puts you in a strange aerial state that takes a while to land, since there technically isn't anything to land on, but the game handles it really well. There are only a few places where you can't actually land. Movement wise, Kenshin would probably be the fastest here, as he travels the quickest of any character on the ground. Getting back in bounds, however, doesn't come as natural to other characters as it does with Kotaro. His skill revision will teleport downwards until you stop, so you can go under ground easily, and doing the ground version will teleport upwards to wherever the solid ground is.

It's a fun glitch. It caught me off guard greatly when I first discovered it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On a side, how the hell do you do your Trigger/Special Mode(not special attack) in this one? In 3 it was L2, but that's your buddy assist thing now.

screw u secret route of motochika's ship

a stupid jump puzzle is EXACTLY what everyone wants in a damn musou game

Yeah this level can be a bit annoying. Does anyone know how to get to that secret area near the end of the level? As you're going up the stairs about to fight Motochika and his machine, there are some chests across the gap to the right. Me and my brother have never been able to figure it out. There's some sort of out of reach ledge in the area right before where you fight Saica, can't make it up there. There's another weird ledge in the previous section right before the spike walls.. I have the feeling they might be exits not entrances, but yeah, no idea how to get in there.

Yeah this level can be a bit annoying. Does anyone know how to get to that secret area near the end of the level? As you're going up the stairs about to fight Motochika and his machine, there are some chests across the gap to the right. Me and my brother have never been able to figure it out. There's some sort of out of reach ledge in the area right before where you fight Saica, can't make it up there. There's another weird ledge in the previous section right before the spike walls.. I have the feeling they might be exits not entrances, but yeah, no idea how to get in there.

run, not walk, to the area before those falling platforms with spikes and there's a door to the far end that closes in 30 seconds after the stage starts

It sucks that the actual move names (Special 1, 2, 3, etc.) never caught on in favor of button combos, since I learned how to play with R1 and Triangle swapped so I could easily do Mitsunari's direction + S1 cancel. :/

Maybe it's not too late to switch back to default, seeing as how that doesn't really benefit any other character very much (afaik). It just makes character guides extra-confusing to read to constantly have to do that mental switch.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it's a PS3 exclusive thing, but I bought and downloaded the costume DLC for this with the assumption on Raindrops page that DLC will work on any account as long as the dlc is downloaded and purchased on the JP PSN account.

I do not have access to the dlc on my english user account in Basara.

It sucks that the actual move names (Special 1, 2, 3, etc.) never caught on in favor of button combos, since I learned how to play with R1 and Triangle swapped so I could easily do Mitsunari's direction + S1 cancel. :/

Maybe it's not too late to switch back to default, seeing as how that doesn't really benefit any other character very much (afaik). It just makes character guides extra-confusing to read to constantly have to do that mental switch.

FYI, switching Triangle and R1 benefits Ieyasu immensely. It allows him to always be charging easily, which unlocks his immense potential. He's become my favorite character gameplay-wise

One_San

So maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it's a PS3 exclusive thing, but I bought and downloaded the costume DLC for this with the assumption on Raindrops page that DLC will work on any account as long as the dlc is downloaded and purchased on the JP PSN account.

I do not have access to the dlc on my english user account in Basara.

Costumes work just fine on SB4S. You may need to start up the game on your JP account,

FYI, switching Triangle and R1 benefits Ieyasu immensely. It allows him to always be charging easily, which unlocks his immense potential. He's become my favorite character gameplay-wise

I just hold the controller claw style. The changed inputs, I think, are really terrible for any other character, and I'm comfortable with Ieyasu now.

Costumes work just fine on SB4S. You may need to start up the game on your JP account,

I just hold the controller claw style. The changed inputs, I think, are really terrible for any other character, and I'm comfortable with Ieyasu now.

Yeah, I feel like I'd hate that too much, and I generally don't tend to go crazy with tagging, I like to focus on one character at a time, so its easy enough to switch just for Ieyasu. And you're the one who helped me figure him out in the first place and got me into this mess! Now I don't want to play as anyone else :(

What I really think should happen is that for the next Basara, each character should just have a pool of skills they learn and then you can equip everything to whichever button combo you want (or simply have a smaller pool of skills that work on certain buttons, as some skills probably only would work on the current button set up, such as hold square). But either way, the idea being that the skill set up can be individualized to the character instead of having to change the buttons universally.

Mechazawa

I have no idea what I'm doing/what's going on in this game.

I got to a boss and just before the door opened, a timer started and a bunch of guys with seafood stuck on their heads started fighting me and me and my partner had giant crabs strapped to our backs and a dude was rolling around on giant bon bons like they were logs and what the fuck is going on.

Taking a break from this game has made me appreciate it more. I think the lack of new levels makes this game get boring to play on a regular basis, but it's still great in short bursts. I burnt out a lot faster than before because I saw the majority of the new content a lot faster than I thought.

Unfortunately my PC died this morning so I can't make any videos right now, but I'll see about making that video review when/if I'm back in action. I may not even have access to my raw footage anymore given that I can't get into Windows.

squall23

I have no idea what I'm doing/what's going on in this game.

I got to a boss and just before the door opened, a timer started and a bunch of guys with seafood stuck on their heads started fighting me and me and my partner had giant crabs strapped to our backs and a dude was rolling around on giant bon bons like they were logs and what the fuck is going on.
When in doubt, just kill things. During that portion, you need to kill more grunts than Hideaki, the guy that's rolling around. There should be counters at the top of the screen.

Mechazawa

When in doubt, just kill things. During that portion, you need to kill more grunts than Hideaki, the guy that's rolling around. There should be counters at the top of the screen.

Really? Huh. I thought that was a survival minigame.

What difficulty do you guys generally play on? I was playing on Hard and doing well enough until I hit the fourth mission and I kept getting my shit pushed in on the battlefield, so I figured maybe Hard was too much for me.

But that fourth mission ended up being the final Date mission and the final boss ended up being a total pushover on Normal, so I'm now second guessing that decision.

squall23

Really? Huh. I thought that was a survival minigame.

What difficulty do you guys generally play on? I was playing on Hard and doing well enough until I hit the fourth mission and I kept getting my shit pushed in on the battlefield, so I figured maybe Hard was too much for me.

But that fourth mission ended up being the final Date mission and the final boss ended up being a total pushover on Normal, so I'm now second guessing that decision.
My save is a carryover so I've been playing on Basara.

Dizzy-4U

Resuming my playthrough after a little hiatus. Time to finish those story modes (about 10 characters remaining).

The new patch is fantastic by the way. You can now cancel any of the roulette transformations by pressing the circle button. That damn bomb dude was getting on my nerves (I'm not too fond of the one hit kill dude either).

Also, I could finally beat that Naotora Dojo thingy. Thanks Raindrops!!!!

Xevren

Finally was able to sink my claws into this over the weekend and I'm in love with it! Hideyoshi and Naotora are my favs so far.

Eolz

Sorry for digging up this thread, but seems like the most recent one, and my post is not really thread-worthy.
I've been interested in this series for last year for some reason, and while the OP is great, I'd like to have some confirmations and ask some questions:
- Is the game really playable without japanese knowledge? I'm not worried about the gameplay itself, more about the menus and side-content.
- Is it a good entry point in the series? Apparently a new game is coming out in Japan this summer, so not sure.
- Did this game failed badly in the west to warrant no localization? KT would probably localize it if it was one of their games, but I'm not a big fan Samurai Warriors (hence part of my interest for this game).
- Should I try emulating the old (PS2/Wii/PSP) games?
- Any good deals on this game? :p

Thanks!

- Did this game failed badly in the west to warrant no localization? KT would probably localize it if it was one of their games, but I'm not a big fan Samurai Warriors (hence part of my interest for this game).
Apparently Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes bombed, which was too bad since it was a very nice release. If you have PS3 (or a Wii) it's probably a better way into the franchise than messing with the Japan only releases.

squall23

Sorry for digging up this thread, but seems like the most recent one, and my post is not really thread-worthy.
I've been interested in this series for last year for some reason, and while the OP is great, I'd like to have some confirmations and ask some questions:
- Is the game really playable without japanese knowledge? I'm not worried about the gameplay itself, more about the menus and side-content.
- Is it a good entry point in the series? Apparently a new game is coming out in Japan this summer, so not sure.

Thanks!
This game is an excellent entry point because it's almost a retelling of the story. The new game is mainly focused on one character.

The menus are also very easy to navigate so no worries. The only thing that needs a guide are weapon stats and modifiers because those are completely in Japanese.

TreIII

Thanks!

1) Definitely. Menus are pretty straightforward, and there are certainly resources here, on Raindrops/DaydreamUK's blog and on KoeiWarriors that will get you up to speed on what you need otherwise (like for a stage or two here or there where the objectives aren't as clear).
2) Sumeragi is, without a doubt, the most "complete" entrant in the series as of right now. Lots of content in the form of a lot of characters to play, and a nice number of stages to play through. Yukimura-den focuses mainly on that character (guy in red with spears), and is more of a side game, so while I would say keep an eye on it, it'd probably be better to try an older title first.
3) Yeah, as stated above...Samurai Heroes didn't sell to whatever expectations Capcom had in mind. Don't expect miracles when it comes to them trying again with BASARA (it'd be actually the third time, after Devil Kings failed back in the PS2 era), but who knows?
4) If you really want to. I'd say if you want to try experimenting all of the main BASARA games in one place, the PS3 HD collection is the best place. Just be mindful that the gameplay in those PS2 games pales in comparison to what has been the standard with the PS3-era of games. Sengoku BASARA X is a fun fighting game to toy around with, if you want to try a game that's arguably more busted than even ASW's former Hokuto no Ken game. The PSP ones I really can't recommend beyond a novelty, as the gameplay there is a pretty lackluster Gundam Vs. clone.
5) Nin-Nin is an import retailer advertising a decent sale on the Standard editions. Of course, Amazon.co.jp may have an even better price, if you're willing to go there...

Eolz

Thanks for all the answers!
It was really helpful, will look again at some gameplay, and put a copy in a future import order if I see a good deal :)
(I'm used to nin-nin, cdjapan, amazon jp, etc)

Seems like a really fun game in more ways than one, and not as repetitive as some competitors.

Top Bottom