• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi |OT| IT'S SENGOKU TEA TIME!

squall23

While I do love both, I completely agree with your assessment. Also, I have a feeling you will love Ii Naotora when you get the game. Her gameplay mechanics are unique and oh so satisfying to chain together.
You know what the great thing about the Basara games is? There are many characters that can be called unique and play completely differently from each other unlike other 3D beat'em ups. *coughMUSOUcough*

Like, even if Hideyoshi isn't the best character out there, chaining Atomic Busters is just one of those things I never knew I wanted until it was a thing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
While I do love both, I completely agree with your assessment. Also, I have a feeling you will love Ii Naotora when you get the game. Her gameplay mechanics are unique and oh so satisfying to chain together.

Absolutely amazing character one of my favorites in SB4, along with Hideyoshi.

chaining Atomic Busters is just one of those things I never knew I wanted until it was a thing.
Absolutely amazing character one of my favorites in SB4, along with Hideyoshi.
GAFers after my own heart. Brofist.
MA2myl7.png

One_San

This game is absolutely fantastic. The gameplay, I feel, may even have a bigger improvement than SB3 > Utage had, which says a lot. Several characters (Kotaro, Motonari) have skill revisions that give them an entire new dimension to how they play, and there are plenty of changes to preexisting moves that gives the characters a new sense of exploration I've not felt since I first played them.

Also, easiest Basara to platinum. I only need three trophies including the plat to go. Getting all inscriptions, and then play for 100 hours.

edit: Oh, and some of the Personal Inscriptions are amazing.

Hideyoshi can chain grab 10 times.
Kotaro can do the triple tornado boss only move he had in vanilla with his.
Keiji gets back a glitch from previous games that made him more fun.

I'm embarrassed to say my heart skipped a beat when I saw the OT.
Release Date:
  • NA/EU: lol
Because, of course, dreams don't come true.

I'll be playing this one way or another, though. I had a blast with the US version of Sengoku Basara 3 and it was the perfect introduction to the genre for me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This game is absolutely fantastic. The gameplay, I feel, may even have a bigger improvement than SB3 > Utage had, which says a lot. Several characters (Kotaro, Motonari) have skill revisions that give them an entire new dimension to how they play, and there are plenty of changes to preexisting moves that gives the characters a new sense of exploration I've not felt since I first played them.

Also, easiest Basara to platinum. I only need three trophies including the plat to go. Getting all inscriptions, and then play for 100 hours.

edit: Oh, and some of the Personal Inscriptions are amazing.

Hideyoshi can chain grab 10 times.
Kotaro can do the triple tornado boss only move he had in vanilla with his.
Keiji gets back a glitch from previous games that made him more fun.

Did they improve the inscriptions system? I liked the system but I felt it needed some improvements, specially when it comes to how many weapons you can hold (20 was too little IMO) and getting some of the best inscriptions was too much of a hassle.

One_San

Did they improve the inscriptions system? I liked the system but I felt it needed some improvements, specially when it comes to how many weapons you can hold (20 was too little IMO) and getting some of the best inscriptions was too much of a hassle.

Can hold 40 now.

And as for ease of getting inscriptions....
CKj3eBEUAAApdVl.jpg

This happens very often. You can even remix the rewards of a stage using the hammers from inscription (you get like a million just for playing)

Dizzy-4U

Bought it a few minutes ago so it's still downloading.

I'm a little bummed out about the DLC stuff. I bought a lot of costumes on the PS3 back on the original Basara 4 and not being able to use them in my main account sucks. They are downloading though, so maybe the new dlc are the one tied to the store? I dunno, I'll find out eventually.

Still, can't wait to get back to it. Put so many hours into the original (Basara 4 was my first "musou" game).

PS: I hated with a passion what Koei did to Naotora (I've been playing a lot of SW4 lately) so I need the best girl back in her perfect form.

So I'm able to use the DLC on my main NA account. I bought the game plus the Street Fighter pack on my Japanese account and played a few missions. This morning I started it up again on my main account while my Japanese account was completely logged off. Now I can use the costumes and unlock trophies on my main account. Is this what people were wondering about or am I thinking of something different?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So I'm able to use the DLC on my main NA account. I bought the game plus the Street Fighter pack on my Japanese account and played a few missions. This morning I started it up again on my main account while my Japanese account was completely logged off. Now I can use the costumes and unlock trophies on my main account. Is this what people were wondering about or am I thinking of something different?

Wouldn't surprise me if the confusion comes from people not activating their accounts as primary accounts.

Kysen

Is there furigana for the character names anywhere? So many names I cant read. This is my first basara since one of the first PS3 ones which I hated. The combat is much better than the musou games for sure. Doing a combo team with Maria(sawashiro <3) and that gun girl.

I think the problem people are having is with the weapon DLC, not the costumes

What's the best place to import at this stage?

play-asia never does me wrong, however, I do splurge on shipping. I don't know how great they are for cheap shipping options

Is there furigana for the character names anywhere? So many names I cant read. This is my first basara since one of the first PS3 ones which I hated. The combat is much better than the musou games for sure. Doing a combo team with Maria(sawashiro <3) and that gun girl.

I think they have furigana in the character bios, could be wrong.

Who needs furigana when you have IEYASUUUUUU!

What's the best place to import at this stage?

I ended up just buying it straight off the Japanese PSN after picking up some digital PSN credit from Play-Asia. The price looked about the same for physical versus codes and I could start downloading it right away instead of waiting a couple of weeks for the physical version to turn up. I've got plenty of digital only games and a decent internet connection, so I'm fine with for going just for a disc.

Anyway - I not sure exactly what prompted me to buy this. This is my first Sengoku Basara game. I was watching some streams on the Live from Playstation app - and it looked freaking incredible. I had to try it myself. Turns out it is freaking incredible! Such fun.

Thank god for that Raindrops and Daydreams site. This daft Englishman is having a ball.

Lyte Edge

My copy just arrived. Man, that felt like such a long weekend waiting for this, lol.

Dizzy-4U

So smoooooth, so criiiiiiisp, so beaaaautiful :')

Bought every costume dlc. They work perfecly on my main US account. The old dlc from vanilla works too.

Lyte Edge

Could you switch between characters in vanilla SB4? I can't remember; thought it was just a support character in addition to your main.

Also are all the old character stories in Sumeragi?

I ended up just buying it straight off the Japanese PSN after picking up some digital PSN credit from Play-Asia. The price looked about the same for physical versus codes and I could start downloading it right away instead of waiting a couple of weeks for the physical version to turn up. I've got plenty of digital only games and a decent internet connection, so I'm fine with for going just for a disc.

Anyway - I not sure exactly what prompted me to buy this. This is my first Sengoku Basara game. I was watching some streams on the Live from Playstation app - and it looked freaking incredible. I had to try it myself. Turns out it is freaking incredible! Such fun.

Thank god for that Raindrops and Daydreams site. This daft Englishman is having a ball.
Ah, that's a great idea. Didn't really even think of getting credits. Immediate gratification here I come!

One_San

Could you switch between characters in vanilla SB4? I can't remember; thought it was just a support character in addition to your main.

Also are all the old character stories in Sumeragi?
As said above, you could switch in vanilla at level 50, but it's available from the start now. Both characters also get EXP at the same at.

All stories from vanilla are included.

Lyte Edge

Ah OK, thanks.

I really liked what I played of the SB4, but never put too much time into it and I don't think I ever got anyone to level 50. (Didn't try any quick level grinding tricks) Planning on making up for that with Sumeragi!

got my game today~

managed to get all the DLC from the LE and managed to have my main account actually use them so no idea how this whole account thing works on the PS4 lol

did one stage and I love it

it feels like 4 but having tag mode from the start, the roulette making things more varied (i become a bomb guy like twice and then almost got taken away by xavis) is really making this more enjoyable

managed to get 400something coins in one stage so I'm guessing getting all the roulette prizes wouldn't be so bad

didn't import my SB4 save so I'll just start all over again lol

also, hot limit ieyasu is quite a treat

got my game today~

managed to get all the DLC from the LE and managed to have my main account actually use them so no idea how this whole account thing works on the PS4 lol

did one stage and I love it

it feels like 4 but having tag mode from the start, the roulette making things more varied (i become a bomb guy like twice and then almost got taken away by xavis) is really making this more enjoyable

managed to get 400something coins in one stage so I'm guessing getting all the roulette prizes wouldn't be so bad

didn't import my SB4 save so I'll just start all over again lol

also, hot limit ieyasu is quite a treat

Don't feel bad about starting over, it goes sooooo much faster, everything from experience to inscription farming. In fact, you don't even get a lot of Tenka medals from the transfer.

Dizzy-4U

What's the deal with this guy?:

23Y7oDF.jpg

He shows up with the roulette. I hit him, he runs away to another location. Sometimes he drops a few coins. What am I missing?

One_San

He shows up with the roulette. I hit him, he runs away to another location. Sometimes he drops a few coins. What am I missing?

You can hit him to drop coins, and he drops more than the last time every time you hit him. It's easy to get 1000 or so every time he shows up, just follow him, hit him once, and let him run. Repeat.

Every now and then he seems to not drop coins, but it was only very rarely and I feel like I may have waited too long.

Also my estimate of 1000 is based on Heaven difficulty.

Dizzy-4U

You can hit him to drop coins, and he drops more than the last time every time you hit him. It's easy to get 1000 or so every time he shows up, just follow him, hit him once, and let him run. Repeat.

Every now and then he seems to not drop coins, but it was only very rarely and I feel like I may have waited too long.

Also my estimate of 1000 is based on Heaven difficulty.
Ah, that must be it then. I'm playing on normal and only got like 20 coins from him.

What would you say it's the minimum recommended level for Heaven difficulty?

One_San

Ah, that must be it then. I'm playing on normal and only got like 20 coins from him.

What would you say it's the minimum recommended level for Heaven difficulty?

Level only increases your HP and unlocks skills. All meaningful stats come from weapons, and 1500 Attack and Defense is good enough to be relatively comfortable.

squall23

23Y7oDF.jpg

Is that Amago Haruhisa wearing a mask?! Now that I think about it, why is he still not a usable character yet? I mean, you think he would be since Shikanosuke is usable.

Lyte Edge

My impressions from elsewhere:

Played through Kasuga's drama route last night on hard. Had Kenshin as my partner. Capcom has managed to make this game even more insane-- One stage was a battle against forest animals. You have to defeat Yamanaka Shikanosuke's deer, who is being protected by bears, moles, and other creatures. Those bears do a shitload of damage if they get to you. :lol Some stages now have a roulette wheel symbol on them. When you play these levels, you'll come across enemies who make the wheel spin or you'll get it when defeating enemies holding an outpost. This causes all kinds of craziness. You might turn into one of those giant 'spider' tanks and can smash through enemies. You might turn into a bomb-throwing enemy NPC. On one level, I turned into a samurai who caused large gold coins to drop everywhere. His attacks were one-hit kills...even against the stage bosses! While the game play is still the same from SB4, there are some new moves for the older characters and you can now switch and play as your partner right from the start-- in SB4 you couldn't do this until getting a character to level 50. This can make harder fights much more bearable, since if either character is defeated, they can be brought back with full energy (their lifebar fills back up slowly, but if you stand near them it goes up much faster) and the game will not end until both characters are down. Some battles can be pretty challenging at a lower level, however, with certain enemy attacks killing you in just a few hits. It took me a while to win a fight against Fuuma Kotaro and Matsunaga, for example, since my characters were way underleveled.

Didn't try any of the new characters (well, Kasuga and Kenshin are newly-playable in Sumeragi, but there are a few new or newly-playable characters who weren't in previous games) yet. Will do that tonight. The returning characters also feel more "complete" compared to their SB3 Utage versions, with full movesets and multiple supers like everyone else this time around.

I don't know about the PS3 version (assuming it's the same), but the PS4 version of Sumeragi also contains all of the content from vanilla SB4. If you have SB4 on PS3, you can update the game and upload your save data for use on PS4, much like Koei does with their musou games, carrying over all your progress. They've raised the level caps to an insane 999 now.

The game runs buttery smooth on PS4. It's 1080P and a rock-solid 60 FPS, which looks great and is more impressive than Koei's titles given the speed of everything, although the models can look a bit dated in close-ups and it appears that some small in-game cut scenes are using video instead of being done in real-time.

Sumeragi is definitely worth picking up. Chances of it coming out in English are pretty slim, however.

Regarding the whole DLC and different region accounts thing, it sounds like only weapons DLC is locked to that region.

Costumes are not and I guess that's what really matters lol

What is the code in the box for?

And I think I'm gonna need to make another JPN account. I don't remember any of the info for it to login lol

Thanks. Pretty fun so far, even if I can't quite understand anything. This chick accompanying the lady with the guns is pretty dope.

Would like to invert the camera, tho.

Also, I noticed the "musou" bar(whatever capcom calls it) turned red for a few seconds. That anything special?

Thanks. Pretty fun so far, even if I can't quite understand anything. This chick accompanying the lady with the guns is pretty dope.

Would like to invert the camera, tho.

Also, I noticed the "musou" bar(whatever capcom calls it) turned red for a few seconds. That anything special?

We have menu translations here to invert the camera. If you pause in the middle of battle, it should be the 2nd to last option I think. Look for the characters that are the same as controller settings in the picture.

Dizzy-4U

When both characters fill the musou bar, hold L2 + circle and they'll do a combined super attack.

I've been playing pretty much non-stop for a few days. The lance lady is so awesome.

ZR5T6RP.jpg

Mugaaz

Been playing this really enjoy it so far. Took me a while to understand how some stuff works. Really like how all the chars are very unique, as well as the stages. Some of the stages almost too unique/gimmicky. I like how you unlock a costume for each character when you beat their story. The story modes for each character are a little meh, but I cant understand it anyway so......

We have menu translations here to invert the camera. If you pause in the middle of battle, it should be the 2nd to last option I think. Look for the characters that are the same as controller settings in the picture.
Now, we're cookin'. Thank you, sir.
When both characters fill the musou bar, hold L2 + circle and they'll do a combined super attack.
So, I just did one and my character turned into a giant ship. What is even going on in this game? Lol

So, I just did one and my character turned into a giant ship. What is even going on in this game? Lol

That's different, that's one of the possible results from the battle roulette.

If you land on a red space:
- Coin Soldiers appear for you to beat up
- Amago Haruhisa (guy in pink) shows up, hit him for coins to drops, he runs and reappears somewhere else and hit him again for more coins

Black Space:
- Transform into the giant ship
- Transform into a bomb solider
- Transform into Naoe Kanetsugu, a one hit wonder

Gold Space:
- Jackpot: Lots of coins, large power-up

Skull Space:
- A washtub drops on your head, makes you dizzy and angels appear to take you away
- Bombs fall from the sky
- Mushashi appears to bother you, you can beat him up for coins

Did they get rid of, or - at the very least - reduce, the aggravating trap+waggle to get free type stuff that would bog down combat in 4? That was an annoyance and combined with the weapon / inscription system made me stop playing 4, despite absolutely loving the core combat engine.

Mugaaz

Did they get rid of, or - at the very least - reduce, the aggravating trap+waggle to get free type stuff that would bog down combat in 4? That was an annoyance and combined with the weapon / inscription system made me stop playing 4, despite absolutely loving the core combat engine.

Not many moves cause the stun + waggle thing, very very few. One of the rare bad outcomes on the wheel does.

I don't know how inscriptions worked in the previous game...or this one tbh. I just transfer them to my weapon, get green ones off random weapons every so often?

I feel like it's a lot less but it still occurs. Dunno, maybe I'm more aware about them I been dodging them more, lol

It does get annoying if you get a skull on the roulette, since Mushashi can stun you or Xavi angels will.

The weapon system works the same as before but I'm getting more green and rare ones than I ever remember before and you can hold so much more weapons now. I think its more generous in giving you the rare skills now.

Not many moves cause the stun + waggle thing, very very few. One of the rare bad outcomes on the wheel does.

I don't know how inscriptions worked in the previous game...or this one tbh. I just transfer them to my weapon, get green ones off random weapons every so often?

You can combine inscriptions to upgrade the skill or make new ones. Or change them.

TreIII

Btw, you can evade the Xavi tub if you get that outcome.

Oh, you can? Good to know!

But yeah, overall, it seems like the waggle stuff overall is a bit more subdued. I think the worst offenders are Sasuke's Ninja comrades who love to spam their nets.

One_San

Oh, you can? Good to know!

But yeah, overall, it seems like the waggle stuff overall is a bit more subdued. I think the worst offenders are Sasuke's Ninja comrades who love to spam their nets.

Yeah, you have to stop doing stuff so you can actually evade it, but you can usually hold an evade input and get it to come out just before it lands on you.

Ninja are probably the most annoying to fight enemy in the game, as they always seem to be the most aggressive. You can also tag out then back in to ignore their waggle qte though.

kiun

Found a pretty good wiki covering character gimmicks and move list. It doesn't cover the new characters added in sumeragi but it is pretty comprehensive otherwise

Pretty impressed with how DRAMATIC Kasuga's dramatic story route is.

The ending was kinda sugarcoated though but still plenty DRAMATIC.

Top Bottom