• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi |OT| IT'S SENGOKU TEA TIME!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Pretty impressed with how DRAMATIC Kasuga's dramatic story route is.

The ending was kinda sugarcoated though but still plenty DRAMATIC.

Seriously...what was up with that ending?

"HE'S DEAD HE'S DEAD *SOB*" "Oh hi, I'm right here and stuff."

I had Kenshin as my partner the whole time, too, so it was kinda funny that she was mourning over a guy who was right there with her the whole time, lol.

Naite

Found a pretty good wiki covering character gimmicks and move list. It doesn't cover the new characters added in sumeragi but it is pretty comprehensive otherwise

Thanks for this. Didn't realize Ieyasu's charge special charged all his other charged specials too. Also his evade cancel stuff is helping me plenty.

I was waiting on a promotion, but since that seems like an absolute bust, it's time to praise myself anyway and play this fantastic title.

I bought the game and the Ryu/RE pack because I'm a Capcom whore. I'll probably pick up the MH pack as well.

'Bout to get these guns on.

This is a great addition to the series, despite the annoying roulette system. Capcom has really been knocking it out of the ballpark with these remasters/enhanced ports. The other big name developers could learn a lot from them. While the game desperately needs some new modes to break the monotony of doing the story levels over and over, it still has way more to offer than the competition.

Ordered this off Play Asia with the free shipping option and it arrived today! I honestly wasn't expecting this for 2 more weeks or so! Pretty excited to dive in!

Kysen

Break dancing animals, pole dancing and giant robo crabs. This is crazy and i'm loving it. Went and bought the Jill, Dante, Virgil dlcs. Moved over to Saika/Kasuka combo, much more mobility.

One_San

Found a pretty good wiki covering character gimmicks and move list. It doesn't cover the new characters added in sumeragi but it is pretty comprehensive otherwise

Just added a page for Matsu. Will get around to the other characters and changes from the vanilla characters over time.

Happy people are finding the wiki section I wrote and potentially learning stuff from it. <3

z5wzrr7.png

Just added a page for Matsu. Will get around to the other characters and changes from the vanilla characters over time.

Happy people are finding the wiki section I wrote and potentially learning stuff from it. <3

z5wzrr7.png
Great work, thank you.

I' having a blast with this game, so to help me understand it all a little better I picked up the PS3 Sengoku Basara 3 English version.

Though some systems are different it is definitely helping and I'm also able to understand the character motivations as well.

It's depressing how much attention this game isn't getting. I assume hardcore fans either upgraded and are playing, or much of the discussion is elsewhere, but y'all need to step up your game. This is the GOTY for me. I'd be very, very surprised if something else takes that title, because as it stands, I doubt it.

I'm a little biased. Beat'em ups are among my favorite titles, but man, this game is on a whole new level. My greenness to the SB games is going to display itself pretty soon here, but bear with me.

The game was installing, so I played Kaitsuke (I'm going to butcher these names for a good long while, forgive me) and Sen. If you are looking for a deep ass technical musou game, here it is.

SB plays out like a side scroller but in 3D - limited objectives in favor of pounding some ass, because doing crazy shit and getting ridiculously high combos and points is what the genre is all about. As such, every character has a very vast arsenal.

Kaitsuke looks linear, but hold down that charge button and he adds a literal new layer to his attacks. He can store up to three of these charges for a handful of seconds. Between each layer, his moves and the properties change - so a Level 3 does more damage than a Level 1. But it doesn't invalidate the Level 1 moves since those don't require a charge.

During some moves, you can store charges after the animation is complete (or during, in the case of one of his specials), or you can use the prebuilt one which is a decent attack on its own. So his gameplay is centered around juggling charges while deciding on what you should use for what situation. This is all important, since it affects the type of attack that comes out for almost every move.

Sen, on the other hand, has a push/pull mechanic that's kinda like Magneto from Marvel - you can pull enemies towards you or slam them down (or toss them away). What's super cool about Sen is how seamless that whole process is - he can quickly shift between the two methods of attack after attaching the magnetism to enemies.

So you might have a combo where you toss them into the air, slam them into the ground, juggle them with a normal attack, pull them towards you, do another normal attack that juggles, and then follow up with a midair attack with either a slam as an ender or throwing them out like yesterday's trash. Sounds complicated, but after a few levels, it's very easy to do.

And I didn't even talk about the Cancel System, which lets you do things like using evades, jumps, or dashes to cancel in and out of moves.

That's just two characters. The thing is, they all play wildly different, and there's something here for everyone. You got your grappler, your ranged characters (one of which who almost plays out like a TPS), your boxer, zoners, etc. Does this sound like a character action game? Depth wise, it's pretty close.

I'm not even going to get started on that tag system, which, with the right synergy, could give you some endless combos.

In addition to all that, you get some pretty dope levels to go through. Most of them contain the usual "beat up guys", but some have refreshing dice rolls that randomize status effects, one-on-one boss fights, and even a turret section that manages to not be annoying.

Did I mention that this game has unlockables bought via in-game currency? What about secret costumes and shit like that from the old days? How about the fact that characters have at least two paths they can take for their story modes?

TL;DR Sengoku Basara is a super deep musou/beat'em up game with a shit load of content that's never coming to the US because God isn't real so just use a translation guide and enjoy drinking tea while slamming fools into the ground while you dance with some fans. Buy it.

One_San

Yeah, Basara is a great series, and every new game feels like a sequel with actual gameplay additions. Everyone is incredibly varied and even the more bare bones characters still have a lot to add to the game, especially given the tag system.

Katsuie is a really strong character, and it's rather fun to use evade cancels to level his skills up faster than just holding square, and even at max level his hold square attack still has use in combos.

Some characters can feel underwhelming at higher levels of play, namely someone like Sorin who has issues really connecting most of his moves outside of the very beginning of them against high difficulty enemies. But pretty much every other character has something meaningful they can add to almost any situations.

Stylish Action.

squall23

I like how we get the option of buying Personal Inscriptions right off the bat. Too bad some of them suck though.

Whereas Nagamasa's buff extender or Hideyoshi's 10 GRAB CHAIN are ridiculous.

I've been using the raindrops and daydreams site, which has been super useful, but I still had trouble this weekend basically hitting O on stuff that I was completely unsure of what I was doing. Also, I couldn't figure out for the life of me on how to add inscriptions? To open slots on the weapons. Could view them from the weapon menu, look at them, even looked like some sort of fusion menu for the inscriptions.

Is there a site or sheet that has all the menus laid out? The r&d site is solid, but just feels like a search and search for things, and come up with nothing more than I'd like.

I've been using the raindrops and daydreams site, which has been super useful, but I still had trouble this weekend basically hitting O on stuff that I was completely unsure of what I was doing. Also, I couldn't figure out for the life of me on how to add inscriptions? To open slots on the weapons. Could view them from the weapon menu, look at them, even looked like some sort of fusion menu for the inscriptions.

Is there a site or sheet that has all the menus laid out? The r&d site is solid, but just feels like a search and search for things, and come up with nothing more than I'd like.

Under the Articles tab I believe, did you try looking at the two regular Sengoku Basara 4 guides? I believe they might have a lot of translated screens that will help you.

In general for weapons, when you go to the weapons screen, there are four tabs along the top. Tab one is where you equip the weapon you want. Tab 2 is leveling up weapons. Tab 3 is fusing weapons (this is where you can combine and move around inscriptions). Tab 4 is selling weapons.

To open slots on weapons, you have to level up the rank of the weapon. This can be done on Tab 2. There should be a number on the screen next to a Square button Icon. This number is the amount of the item you have on hand that levels up rank. If you press square, you add this item to the weapon you currently selected to fill up the blue bar under the weapon picture. When the blue bar is filled, another star is added to the weapon and another inscription slot opens up.

You can also press Triangle on this screen to use lucky hammers to randomly add to the weapons stats (as well as randomly adding to the rank)

Oh and for the inscriptions themselves, when you press L2 I believe, you bring up that big screen with all the inscriptions on a table format. Any inscriptions that are lit up mean that you currently have them available on at least one weapon for the character currently selected. My suggestion for anyone playing is to create an excel spreadsheet or something similar with the translations in the same format as this screen. That way, you can just look at the correct box, see what you have/need, and go from there.

Dizzy-4U

You need to look at the Sengoku Basara 4 guide instead of the Sumeragi one. It contains basic information for pretty much everything. It may look a little different in the screenshots but the placement of the menus is pretty much the same.

http://www.raindropsanddaydreams.co.uk/2013/11/sengokubasara4guide.html#Enhancement

TreIII

It's depressing how much attention this game isn't getting. I assume hardcore fans either upgraded and are playing, or much of the discussion is elsewhere, but y'all need to step up your game.

A more consistent avenue is on places like Koei Warriors. But hey, guys like me and sprsk were singing of this series' praises on here since back in '06, so even seeing the grassroots following that this series has on here now-a-days is a good thing!

Dizzy-4U

Question: How do I get to the third level of the ship? I'm sure I must be missing some very obvious platform or something. That bingo guy has been teasing me for days.

LQT0bre.jpg

Boss&#9733;Moogle;173984634 said:
Why did they ditch SCANDAL for the ending theme though? They're my favorite ; ;

I don't know but the opening is amazing.

I'm gonna start bothering people in Capcom about it.

A more consistent avenue is on places like Koei Warriors. But hey, guys like me and sprsk were singing of this series' praises on here since back in '06, so even seeing the grassroots following that this series has on here now-a-days is a good thing!
I'm not 100% sure - because my memory sucks-, but I am fairly sure that it was you two and Lyte Edge whose posts got me into the series around the time of SB2+H Wii Double Pack's release. BASARA has been one of my favorite series ever since, and it was also my gateway into the genre overall. SB is still my fav in the genre, by far, but I've come to love many other games that I'd would have never bothered with before playing SB2 (Musou, Senran Kagura, Battride, etc...).

So, thanks :D!

Boss Mog

I don't know but the opening is amazing.

I'm gonna start bothering people in Capcom about it.

T.M Revolution did the Opening for the original version of the game last year too, though it was a different song.

He's truly a great performer. I was lucky enough to see him in concert once and honestly it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to, Japanese or otherwise. The guy just has so much passion and energy on stage.

TreIII

I'm not 100% sure - because my memory sucks-, but I am fairly sure that it was you two and Lyte Edge whose posts got me into the series around the time of SB2+H Wii Double Pack's release. BASARA has been one of my favorite series ever since, and it was also my gateway into the genre overall. SB is still my fav in the genre, by far, but I've come to love many other games that I'd would have never bothered with before playing SB2 (Musou, Senran Kagura, Battride, etc...).

So, thanks :D!

Awesome! Glad to have helped! ^_^

And yeah, I didn't want to suggest that it was just me and sprsk: there were definitely others like Lyte and others who helped get things started.

Now, if only we could entreat Capcom to try again with this brand...and, y'know, actually do a decent job marketing and have realistic expectations for sales, this time.

Boss&#9733;Moogle;173987547 said:
T.M Revolution did the Opening for the original version of the game last year too, though it was a different song.

He's truly a great performer. I was lucky enough to see him in concert once and honestly it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to, Japanese or otherwise. The guy just has so much passion and energy on stage.

I feel like it'd be fun. That song is hype incarnate.

Awesome! Glad to have helped! ^_^

And yeah, I didn't want to suggest that it was just me and sprsk: there were definitely others like Lyte and others who helped get things started.

Now, if only we could entreat Capcom to try again with this brand...and, y'know, actually do a decent job marketing and have realistic expectations for sales, this time.

I think it's possible. If Capcom localizes through Sony and has them pick up some costs on the marketing side as well, it could do alright. The biggest problem is perception - SB is seen as a musou game.

Which it is and it isn't. It's part of the genre, but it's far different than its brethren. Musou games do well because they've had a following since the PS2 (and kind of the PS1) days. With Dragon Heroes, Zelda not too long ago, and DW9 getting some new info soon (along with that new project), it'd be hard to squeeze in the middle.

TreIII

I think it's possible. If Capcom localizes through Sony and has them pick up some costs on the marketing side as well, it could do alright. The biggest problem is perception - SB is seen as a musou game.

Which it is and it isn't. It's part of the genre, but it's far different than its brethren. Musou games do well because they've had a following since the PS2 (and kind of the PS1) days. With Dragon Heroes, Zelda not too long ago, and DW9 getting some new info soon (along with that new project), it'd be hard to squeeze in the middle.

Sad thing is, I think the Japanese side had the right idea all along: market BASARA and DMC together, and take advantage of the likely overlap for the fanbases, thereof.

Before, SB had a few DMC references and allusions here and there. SB4 even had the Dante and Vergil costume DLC for Date and Ishida. But over the last few months leading up to DMC4:SE and SB4S's respective releases, we've seen the games demoed at Japanese stream events together. And it appears the collabs won't end there, because now DMC gets its own chance at sharing the "Live Action Stage Drama" stuff that BASARA has enjoyed for years (and will likely be pivotal in helping to restore DMC's relevance in Japan after DmC wittled most of it away).

But did we see any thing of the sort over here (sans stage dramas, of course), especially when it would've been apt to take advantage of the goodwill DMC4SE was generating? Certainly not. And that's just another page on the booklet of "Missed Opportunities with the BASARA Brand in the West" that Capcom's been writing, ever since they made the misguided attempt called "Devil Kings". They had every opportunity to get in front and showcase that BASARA is "not just a Musou game", but failure to do such allowed the media to dictate the narrative, and that led to both Devil Kings and Samurai Heroes' downfalls.

I swear...if Koei is serious about making DW9 have more in-depth, stylish combat, and Capcom allows Omega Force to eat BASARA's lunch in the West, I'll be so disappointed...

Basara has no presence on GAF because I just got my account two months ago!

I've done my fair share for the community over the years via Youtube, but I'm only one person. The advent of the PS4's built-in recording has grown the scene slightly, but it's still not in the public eye yet. I hope that Capcom has the balls to try localizing the game again, but minus the AAA voice actors and unrealistic sales expectations. The localization scene has changed drastically since SB3 was released, and niche games like this get more publicity than back then due to how the AAA studio's output has shrunk. Sub-only games are almost the norm for niche title localizations these days, and the consumer is much more accepting of it than they were just five years ago.

I'll be making a video review for the game soon, but it's definitely a large improvement over the last game. Most of the annoying things were reduced or taken out entirely, and the new changes give the game substantial replay value.

Sad thing is, I think the Japanese side had the right idea all along: market BASARA and DMC together, and take advantage of the likely overlap for the fanbases, thereof.

Before, SB had a few DMC references and allusions here and there. SB4 even had the Dante and Vergil costume DLC for Date and Ishida. But over the last few months leading up to DMC4:SE and SB4S's respective releases, we've seen the games demoed at Japanese stream events together. And it appears the collabs won't end there, because now DMC gets its own chance at sharing the "Live Action Stage Drama" stuff that BASARA has enjoyed for years (and will likely be pivotal in helping to restore DMC's relevance in Japan after DmC wittled most of it away).

But did we see any thing of the sort over here (sans stage dramas, of course), especially when it would've been apt to take advantage of the goodwill DMC4SE was generating? Certainly not. And that's just another page on the booklet of "Missed Opportunities with the BASARA Brand in the West" that Capcom's been writing, ever since they made the misguided attempt called "Devil Kings". They had every opportunity to get in front and showcase that BASARA is "not just a Musou game", but failure to do such allowed the media to dictate the narrative, and that led to both Devil Kings and Samurai Heroes' downfalls.

I swear...if Koei is serious about making DW9 have more in-depth, stylish combat, and Capcom allows Omega Force to eat BASARA's lunch in the West, I'll be so disappointed...

Koei would have to sacrifice the very nature of their games, which is objective focused, but at the same time, Zelda Musou and Samurai Warriors are clear examples of adding even more combo options to their games.

One of the better options would be to create a truestyle type thing to display the differences from musou, cut that up into a bunch of cool vids, and see how the community reacts.

But! SF is coming out next year. And look at that, SB, you have some SF DLC. HMMM.

Anyway, it's probably up to Sony for a singular PS4 release at this point. But man, I would double dip so bad. I just bought the digital, but I'm buying the physical one next month. If they dropped an English version, I'd be there Day 1. Again.

I've done my fair share for the community over the years via Youtube, but I'm only one person. The advent of the PS4's built-in recording has grown the scene slightly, but it's still not in the public eye yet. I hope that Capcom has the balls to try localizing the game again, but minus the AAA voice actors and unrealistic sales expectations. The localization scene has changed drastically since SB3 was released, and niche games like this get more publicity than back then due to how the AAA studio's output has shrunk. Sub-only games are almost the norm for niche title localizations these days, and the consumer is much more accepting of it than they were just five years ago.

I'll be making a video review for the game soon, but it's definitely a large improvement over the last game. Most of the annoying things were reduced or taken out entirely, and the new changes give the game substantial replay value.

You were one of the reasons I bought this game. You were playing Natora and showing off her moves, cancels, and shit like that. I asked a few questions and you swayed me pretty quick. So thanks. Can't wait for that review!

Oh snap it's Tetsuo welcome to Neogaf! I love your videos! Keep up the amazing work!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hnnnnnng I wish this series would have taken off in the west.

After playing samurai heroes I imported basara 4 fast as lightning, series is so cool.

I'm happy Kasuga and Meada are back!

Also that monhun collaboration is amazing!!

I'm surprised people know me from Youtube, given that I don't have the largest channel out there. Give me a few days to play the game more and I'll try to put out a good video review.

I hope that they're open to supporting the game with substantial DLC. The costumes are much too expensive and don't add anything to the game in the long run. The game desperately needs something to do besides the campaign levels, even if the new modes just used existing assets. It's a bit odd that this is the first expansion in the series with no modes aside from story and free mode.

I'm surprised people know me from Youtube, given that I don't have the largest channel out there. Give me a few days to play the game more and I'll try to put out a good video review.

I hope that they're open to supporting the game with substantial DLC. The costumes are much too expensive and don't add anything to the game in the long run. The game desperately needs something to do besides the campaign levels, even if the new modes just used existing assets. It's a bit odd that this is the first expansion in the series with no modes aside from story and free mode.

I agree. While I'm here for the complexity and the crazy combos, a few ridiculous modes would be nice. Maybe levels centered around dice rolls or something crazy like that.

TreIII

Has Hideyoshi finally gone full Raoh with the addition of his L1 square?

More like he's finally regained the one bit of Raoh-ness he lost in the transition to SB4 from his last main appearance in SB2/H. About time they gave him a "Hyaku-retsu Ken" again!

Astarte

I've ordered this with free shipping. I hope it doesn't take too long to get here :v
I'm hype! I adore this series. I mostly just talk about it in the few /v/ threads that pop up every now and again.

I ended up just buying it straight off the Japanese PSN after picking up some digital PSN credit from Play-Asia. The price looked about the same for physical versus codes

Protip: Buy import digital games from the Hong Kong PSN store, not the Japanese one. PSN HKD codes are cheaper on Play-Asia than PSN Yen codes.

Protip: Buy import digital games from the Hong Kong PSN store, not the Japanese one. PSN HKD codes are cheaper on Play-Asia than PSN Yen codes.
The HK PSN storefront is in English and the games themselves are cheaper, too. I bought SB4 digitally from the HK PSN and, eventually, plan to get SB4S this way as well.

Top Bottom