• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus |OT| Summer Life in Your Hometown

SephLuis

This game is better than Shinovi Versus in pretty much every way that I can see, so far. More of the same, but a smoother experience, overall.

I also appreciate that they made the mode selection just a regular menu, instead of a pointless little room to run around in. Lots of little quality of life improvements, a few new mechanics, and the natural benefits of being on a console over a handheld (better graphics, better performance, better controller). The difficulty also seems to be balanced better than SV.

Good stuff.

At least, Medium isn't brain dead anymore though my control of the mechanics is iffy at best. It's charge, charge, charge, until I am getting my ass kicked but my stupidity.

The cinematic finishes are also...something.

Kthulhu

Loving the Vita version. PS4 version was delayed thanks to UPS.

Went to GameStop to get Vita version. Walked up to the cashier and said "I'm looking for a PS Vita game, it's called..." and before I could finish, she turned around, moved some games out of the way, and put the game on the counter.

I have never before felt a level of understanding with another human beings, as I did in that moment.

Went to GameStop to get Vita version. Walked up to the cashier and said "I'm looking for a PS Vita game, it's called..." and before I could finish, she turned around, moved some games out of the way, and put the game on the counter.

I have never before felt a level of understanding with another human beings, as I did in that moment.

She might be a shinobi, watch out! D:

I had something similar years ago after a internet upgrade which was kinda messed up by my ISP, after calling them for three days I was called back by a technician and he asked me: "What can I do for you?" I replied: "Please set my download bandwidth to 12mbit/s and activate Fast Path" to which he answered a few seconds later "Done and done! Can I do something else?"

I wish all calls would go like that :p

ahhhh I can't stop playing with the dressing room. I spent 3hrs in the dressing room doing nothing but dressing up all the Senrans lol.

antitrop

Anyone know how to read the signs with '!' marks on them>

Those are Creative Finish markers. If you finish off a Shinobi with a Ninja Art next to one of them, it'll activate a special finishing animation.

I thought they were readable signs first, too.

EDIT: Doesn't have to be a Ninja Art.

JC Lately

Welp, my internet must have quit for a second while I was at work, cause the download failed. It was a shitty day at work and I was looking forward to beating the crap out of a roomful of targets to let off some steam. Ah well.

66 minutes left

Takeru

Is it the only PS Vita that came out today? Either way, it's good to see competent GameStop workers, since a lot of what I faced don't know a lot. I once was asked if I wanted LittleBigPlanet Karting on Xbox 350.

LOL!!!

Is it the only PS Vita that came out today? Either way, it's good to see competent GameStop workers, since a lot of what I faced don't know a lot. I once was asked if I wanted LittleBigPlanet Karting on Xbox 350.

I remember back then I've always wanted to work at those kind of places just the hear bullshit like that come out of Worker's/Customers' mouth.

This release sneaked up on me so I didn't get to finish the story I've been working on since... before the Shinovi Versus localization. Damn.

Hope everyone's having fun with EV though, I really gotta get back to playing the one I imported at launch lol

KyleCross

Has anyone else ordered from BestBuy.com and still waiting for their copy? Mine has been saying "Preparing for shipment" for an entire week.

Pimpbaa

Curious as to how the Vita version compares to the ps4. While the game is very obvious a vita port, the number of enemies on screen has increased drastically (to the point where there is slowdown). Plus a lot of textures resolutions seem beyond what's usually in vita games. Still wish they did more with the ps4 version however (especially in terms of anti aliasing). But it is so much nicer to play due to the ds4, higher frame rates, and load times. Reading this thread and reviews makes me feel kind of alone in this opinion, but I kinda prefer playing the schools separately with the hubs like in SV and the first 3DS game (never played the second).

RedEther

I got to wave 49 in shinobi survival then lost, before I could retry at wave 40 I got disconnected from the server.

mNGpRiq.gif

I guess I'll try later on tomorrow

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm hoping today, I'll wake up a few hours after going to bed (around 7 a.m. due to working 3rd shift) around the mail arriving (or knowing my dogs/mail person, waking up just as the package is delivered if it's put on my doorstep), quick nab it & get the disc in the PS4 so it can start downloading the day one patch, then have a good amount of it downloaded after waking up again.

Should actually get my PS4 on right now to get the free DLC downloaded. This seems like the perfect type of game to make use of the sleep mode function. Play a few missions, let the system sleep, then come back to it the next day to play more.

Akibared

I love my Hanzo girls so I'm happy that's the card set I got!

That's the way it is at my store whenever anime games come in they expect me or my buddy. I feel bad for not using them for the past few games after the amazon prime discount kicked in. It was a really nice feeling walking in and them knowing what I'm there for.

mankoto

I think there is a restriction on the dressing room, but I don't know. That's just what my friend told me since he got that version.

DarkOneX

Got the game yesterday, I hadn't played any of the previous games nor even heard of it until around November of last year. I'm not an anime fan at all but I did take a chance on the Onechanbara games and loved them especially Z2 Chaos it was amazingly awesome I thought. While the DoA Xtreme games aren't anime they to me sorta fit in a similar category and I also actually enjoyed those games. So I went ahead and picked this up first for the boobs because it's kinda the main draw of the game it seems but also watched a bunch of videos on it and the gameplay seemed kinda similar to the Onechanbara games and looked fun.

I played Estival Versus last night for probably at least 3 hours and really enjoyed it. I don't know crap about the characters but it doesn't bother me as I've never been big on lore or story in any type of games I play. I got a kick out of some of the story scenes especially that one girl who kept telling another "ok so go get your bikini and lets go" etc, kept making references to her getting into a bikini. The gameplay is definitely good, seems like there's a lot to learn and master. I will say the one thing that bugs me a lot though is when you are done with a combo you stay still for way too long opening you up for getting attacked and it really breaks up the combat too much imo, it should be much quicker like in Onechanbara but that's just my opinion. The amount of content in this game is incredible, inside the game itself and in the box. Tamsoft/Xseed always seems to really cater to us and give us a ton of content, just like with Onechanbara I was really surprised to see how much stuff the game came with physically and in the game to unlock.

I cannot wait now for Shinovi Versus to come to PC so I can give that one a try and overall I really enjoy this game and it was well worth the price. Just wanted to comment too that like some others in here my box came damaged exactly like the picture one dude posted with the top being scrunched in but honestly I care more about the stuff inside so not gonna bother complaining to Amazon about it. Also somebody said Amazon didn't do release day delivery but they did, I had it preordered and got an email last week saying that it was now scheduled for release day delivery, it shipped Monday and I got it yesterday. Anyway, love the game, maybe hard to give it a rating this early in but I'd say it's at least an 8/10 for me and I hope Tamsoft/Xseed brings out more games like this to the states in the future and that's why I will keep supporting them when they do. Also got DoA X3 preordered and am really excited for that one this month too!

muteki

Just remembered that if I play this on my JP vita I would only have access to the update content, not the dlc. Now wondering if I should start my game on my US account or my JP account. I'd rather play on a 2000 than a 1000, but might want some of the dlc. Decisions decisions.

SerTapTap

My suspicions were correct and the story picks up again after chapter 1 & 2, with the start of 3 getting somewhat more serious. A shame, as I'm 90% sure most review sites only played chapter 1 before their negative reviews

Curious as to how the Vita version compares to the ps4. While the game is very obvious a vita port, the number of enemies on screen has increased drastically (to the point where there is slowdown). Plus a lot of textures resolutions seem beyond what's usually in vita games. Still wish they did more with the ps4 version however (especially in terms of anti aliasing). But it is so much nicer to play due to the ds4, higher frame rates, and load times. Reading this thread and reviews makes me feel kind of alone in this opinion, but I kinda prefer playing the schools separately with the hubs like in SV and the first 3DS game (never played the second).

My only complaint with PS4 perf is the skin texture res is oddly low (most noticable on Hikage's tattoo) and they clearly designed the game with Vita limits in mind because there's never more than 4 main shinobi in battle at once, which is clearly a Vita limit as that's what vita's online limited to but PS4 does 10. Not a huge deal but there's some awkward moments where story-wise it's 5 on 1 but in gameplay it's 3 on 1 at most.

I asked for a Vita copy to compare but they were limited on copies so I only got PS4.

The trophy list is shared with the JP version.

Odd.

It's not uncommon actually.

Pretty sure no restrictions like JP ver

They did restrict the Japanese version and I'm not sure they ever took it off. I forgot to test last night if they did for US.

I played Estival Versus last night for probably at least 3 hours and really enjoyed it. I don't know crap about the characters but it doesn't bother me as I've never been big on lore or story in any type of games I play.

At least read up on the character personalities IMO, EV doesn't bother to explain some of them to avoid a super slow start like SV. Easily the right choice for story pacing IMO but it's important to get a quick background on everyone otherwise.
Especially since some characters have gone without barely more than a line after 3 chapters (Mirai) and some act very different in this game (the sun's getting to Yozakura).

Are the character models more unique this time or are there just the 3-4 body types like SV?

There's a girl with a C cup now but I mean, most of the characters are still the same so yeah it's mostly the same. Mostly just height is different since everyone is Generic Anime Female Ideal Body Shape. Daidouji has sweet abs but they don't come across well ingame unfortunately. IMO it'd make sense to make Yomi or Hibari a bit chubby, and butt/leg thickness could be improved and diversified but overall the character designs and theming don't really support major body size variations. I do wish they'd add in a couple brown characters though. There's just one character in the F2P card name, and Homura but she's just tanned.

Amiibro

Just got off the chat with Amazon and once again, put in a complaint about poor collectors edition packing and shipping. Both my games Vita and PS4 were crushed, PS4 the corner is totally ruined.

I didn't want a replacement I just wanted them to stop wasting my time every time I order a CE from them. This has happened about 75% if the time now for CE games.I suggest if you got damaged games to please put in a ticket so maybe they will do something about it. I plan to forward my chat transcript to corp. too. Sucks to see such an awesome edition of the game get crushed and damaged.

also if anyone is looking to shave some price off their SK:EV I'm looking for the other two card sets ( I have Hanzo and Hebijo) shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

SerTapTap

Think there's 3 brown girls in the card game

Oh, I've only seen one (the one with like baby blue hair) but I'm not into the card game. And they're not, you know, real characters IMO until they're in a non-card game, since those games always make up billions of designs to sell more microtransactions.

Noooo.gif

I'm sure she'll get in later. Im' actually enjoying the uneven representation because jesus fucking christ Shinovi versus was formulaic. 5 chapters, one fight per character per chapter, girl A from one school always fought girl A from the other school. Awful.

As a bonus, there's no Homura/Asuka fight in EV too. I never want to see those morons fight again. Games like this (lots of well developed characters) always suffer when they try and force one to be the protagonist. Personality-wise I have no particular reason to dislike (or like) Asuka but oh my god shut up about Asuka, games.

Demoskinos

My suspicions were correct and the story picks up again after chapter 1 & 2, with the start of 3 getting somewhat more serious. A shame, as I'm 90% sure most review sites only played chapter 1 before their negative reviews

My only complaint with PS4 perf is the skin texture res is oddly low (most noticable on Hikage's tattoo) and they clearly designed the game with Vita limits in mind because there's never more than 4 main shinobi in battle at once, which is clearly a Vita limit as that's what vita's online limited to but PS4 does 10. Not a huge deal but there's some awkward moments where story-wise it's 5 on 1 but in gameplay it's 3 on 1 at most.

I asked for a Vita copy to compare but they were limited on copies so I only got PS4.

It's not uncommon actually.

They did restrict the Japanese version and I'm not sure they ever took it off. I forgot to test last night if they did for US.

At least read up on the character personalities IMO, EV doesn't bother to explain some of them to avoid a super slow start like SV. Easily the right choice for story pacing IMO but it's important to get a quick background on everyone otherwise.
Especially since some characters have gone without barely more than a line after 3 chapters (Mirai) and some act very different in this game (the sun's getting to Yozakura).

There's a girl with a C cup now but I mean, most of the characters are still the same so yeah it's mostly the same. Mostly just height is different since everyone is Generic Anime Female Ideal Body Shape. Daidouji has sweet abs but they don't come across well ingame unfortunately. IMO it'd make sense to make Yomi or Hibari a bit chubby, and butt/leg thickness could be improved and diversified but overall the character designs and theming don't really support major body size variations. I do wish they'd add in a couple brown characters though. There's just one character in the F2P card name, and Homura but she's just tanned.

Probably badly phrased sentence but thats what I meant. Which infinitely pissed me off cause I was having fun streaming the import.

After a 4 GB update, I was finally able to start playing it.
It's really a shame that the ikki girls couldn't make it into the western release due to licensing, *Ryofu best girl*,
but I probably wouldn't of bought most of the DLC again after buying all of it for the JPN version already...

On the flip side, are we getting the Sakura swimsuits for the western release? I feel like I read something about it but I don't remember if it was confirmed.

DonkeySauce

Neo Member
I loved the last games and played a bit of this one in Japanese, but gave it away after struggling to comprehend the stories (which I actually enjoy).

Can anyone give me solid recommendation of Vita/PSTV vs PS4? I have both and honestly portability might out weigh any PS4 upsides, but was curious what those of you that have tried both versions think is the best option.

Pejo

So I put a solid few hours into this game last night, and wow Rin is amazingly fun to play as. I never picked her up on SV, so I was totally unaware how awesome the moveset was. I basically played up to chapter 4 or so in the story then went back to a good stage with lots of enemies to work on combos and go through the cast to figure out which characters I liked.

I was actually kinda disappointed with Hikage's moveset this time around. She was my favorite by far in SV. Ah well, I have Rin now.

Got the Hanzo card set with my copy, which is fine, because I probably wont' open it. I'm really looking forward to unlocking the Character Heart mode. That's where I spent most of my time in SV.

I'm also really, really happy that this plays like SV instead of SK2. I don't understand how the battle system is so different between the two.

Can anyone give me solid recommendation of Vita/PSTV vs PS4? I have both and honestly portability might out weigh any PS4 upsides, but was curious what those of you that have tried both versions think is the best option.

I love both versions of the game, but even with the portable advantage on vita and cheaper price tag,
I prefered the PS4 version. I played it on the vita/pstv and it was fun, the usual downgrades because vita and the occasional frame drop when too many things were happening on screen.
The only thing that really bothered me was that input took like a second before the characters would do the action.
It could of just been me, but having that lag made it difficult to play. Other than that, it's a enjoyable game on the vita, like SV was but way better.
(I don't know if the west version will have this but JPN updates destroyed the free space on my vita memory card.)

Honestly, I enjoyed both versions, but PS4 is where I played it most of the time and bought all that sweet DLC.

Got it in from Amazon yesterday. Game play and environments take from SV but with significant improvements. I especially like how there seem to be greater differences in how characters play now. Such as Hanabi takes some time to get her feet set after her powerful attacks. Love that charged crowd-wrecking spin move. Also nice to see changes in enemy resiliency and behavior even just going to Medium difficulty (default is Easy).

Lots of content in-game and a neat overall physical edition. Mine has the the Hanzo card set, PS4 edition.

My EU PS4 copy just arrived! Anyone know whether the EU art cards are fixed or random from a selection? If they're random then 3x Yumi was one hell of a haul, especially that bottom left one with
best girl
Ryobi.

Now all I need to play the game is, uh, a PS4.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I see that the 1.19 update came out for the Japanese version yesterday. Didn't check to see if the Sakura swimsuits were up as DLC, but I I think I'm pretty much done with the Japanese version anyway. Might boot it up every now and then to mess with the Ikki Tousen characters I guess.

I loved the last games and played a bit of this one in Japanese, but gave it away after struggling to comprehend the stories (which I actually enjoy).

Imported the game on both platforms and while I played a lot of the game on the Vita, there's just no question that the PS4 version is the way to go and offers the better experience, with its overall smoother framerates and more enemies on-screen. The Vita version is good and if it was all you played, I think it would be satisfying, but its flaws become more apparent on the PSTV. Shinovi Versus is the better-looking game and has a better framerate in comparison to EV, although to be fair SV isn't as detailed and has less going on than EV does.

For the U.S. version, I once again double-dipped and will be going back and forth on both versions.

Ultimadrago

My EU PS4 copy just arrived! Anyone know whether the EU art cards are fixed or random from a selection? If they're random then 3x Yumi was one hell of a haul, especially that bottom left one with
best girl
Ryobi.

Now all I need to play the game is, uh, a PS4.

I wonder if EU's artbook has the same images as the US artbook.

joe2187

Banned
The game just told me to go watch the Senran Kagura OVA to learn more about the special missions.

Okay

seriously.

Im gonna do it.

Top Bottom