• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF3: Third Strike (SFAC) Discussion Thread

Tabris

So I bought the new Street Fighter Anniversery edition.

Loaded up Arcade mode on default difficulty, which isn't too high I think.

Was doing decent until I came up to Ryu (was playing Ken) lost like 4 times in a row. Continued playing until I got to Gill. Lost like 11 times in a row, took forever to actually beat him. I mean what is up with that?

I always considered myself a decent 2d fighter, I did quite well in MvsC2. I know the gameplay is quite different (MvsC2 was all about the air juggling), but still, this is against the AI, not an actual person.

So yeah, do I just suck at this game? and do you have any tips?

Also, you guys should talk about your pro techniques so I can pick up on them.

Tabris

So far the only decent technique I have is jump kick, low kick, then super (foward roll, foward roll, kick) with Ken.

Of course I stop the player jumping towards me with a dragon punch. Basic 1-2 combos, but nothing special.

Oh, and I can't parry worth a dime.

explodet

All I know is that I started consistently getting D's for my grade after each fight (as opposed to C's AND D's) - and that I suddenly suck ass.

Is the timing slightly different for the Dreamcast version than on the PS2?

XS+

Banned
AI Gill is pretty tough in 3rd Strike. I can beat him consistently using Urine (any SA)

And the PS2 version of 3S is a different engine from the updated DC version. Almost all 3S games you find in arcades are using the engine that the PS2 game is using, automatically making the PS2 version > DC version (esp. if you follow in-depth strategy guides or play against serious human comp)

As for the rest of your comments, practice practice practice, SF3's a totally different beast than any other SF game.

You need to learn Q, cause he's the coolest. Honest, im learning him and once you get the basics down you can have a lot of fun with the robot of superawesomeness.

Ferrio

Banned
Tabris said:
So I bought the new Street Fighter Anniversery edition.

Loaded up Arcade mode on default difficulty, which isn't too high I think.

Was doing decent until I came up to Ryu (was playing Ken) lost like 4 times in a row. Continued playing until I got to Gill. Lost like 11 times in a row, took forever to actually beat him. I mean what is up with that?

I always considered myself a decent 2d fighter, I did quite well in MvsC2. I know the gameplay is quite different (MvsC2 was all about the air juggling), but still, this is against the AI, not an actual person.

So yeah, do I just suck at this game? and do you have any tips?

Also, you guys should talk about your pro techniques so I can pick up on them.

1. Use makoto then I can help more
2. If you use ken use SAIII, c.mk XX SAIII is particularly evil
3. Pick up the guide, it sounds like it'll help you a lot.

Tsubaki said:
I hope you're playing level 8 difficulty. After playing SNES SF2, I won't play anything less.

That's what I said to myself the first time I started playing, until I noticed that the difficulty has been cranked up quite a lot. I have a hard time passing the 2nd character in HSF II at the default difficulty. 3rd Strike seems to be closer to the DC version though.

Tabris

Nah, guides aren't my style.

I do better just sitting down, practicing and learning the mechanics.

Some tips from pros helps that. Like what robojimbo said helps.

I just need to get back into the 2d fighting groove. It's been so long.

Once my friend comes over and we start doing some versus, that will change.

Ferrio

Banned
The guide is written by tourney goers. Basically just a collection of what you'd find surfing the SRK forums.

Ferrio

Banned
c.mk XX SAII me will ya!

sfac.jpg

sfac2.jpg

Slightly Off Topic request:

Hey, where's the link to that video of the guy who 'parried' Chun-Li's super and came back to win the match? I can't find the link. I really want that video..........

explodet

robojimbo said:
The lack of input lag isn't suddenly going to make you suck. If anything, you should be better.
Yeah, I don't blame the removal of the input lag. I've actually performed a parry or two!

It's a shame all my potential opponents are my friends who can't play fighters to save their lives, or super players at the local arcade that have been playing for years.

Tabris

Apharmd Battler said:
Slightly Off Topic request:

Hey, where's the link to that video of the guy who 'parried' Chun-Li's super and came back to win the match? I can't find the link. I really want that video..........

That video inspired me to buy this game.

Man, I'm rusty at 3S. Haven't played solid for about 6 months at least. Just trying to get my Ryu (Ken? Screw Ken)) back, and then I'll start on Dudley.

And yes, 3S owns. Can't wait for the Xbox version.

Tabris

nomoment said:
Uh, go to the arcade, and get your ass handed to you 5-6 dozen times. Learn the hard way.

No thanks. I'm way too much of a scrub right now, I'm not even worthy to be in the arcade for this.

Now Tekken 3, that's a whole different story :)

I use Ken. My technique is to try and bully people by interchanging micro-patterns, and try and disguise the gaps in between them so that people never know when to pounce. Not that I'm particularly successful!

Anyway, Kens advancing heavy kick is a double-hitting axe-kick, and so is his retreating medium kick (though weaker). Triple-tapping the medium kick gets another one in before the axe kick, too. For me, these kicks are central to my style with Ken - if I knock someone down I'll hover close to them and aim to land the first of one of the axe-kicks on them. Or alternatively slip in a few weak sweeps, or maybe the shotokan hop-punch (medium kick + medium punch together ... unless it's both heavies together, I haven't played in time!). If it works, you'll have some options ...

Sadly that's about as hardcore as I can get with the techniques, likesay my style is more freeform and reactive than it is combo or pattern-based.

Anyway, learn to parry! :D There was a thread ages ago where some kind soul advised that you know when to parry, because you know when to block. Just practice it a shitload; it's one of the most satisfying mechanics I know in a fighting game. Use the practice mode - get in the ring with a cranked-up Akuma and see what you can do! It's tough love, but you'll get there ...

AfroLuffy

I grabbed Chun's SA II using Qs capture and deadly blow, my friend was pissed. =D

Anyways, switched to Ken recently after getting bored with my repeated failure
connecting Makoto's karakusa, fierce, sa2--yah, i suck...blegh--and i'm glad i did.

I watched the daigo parry vid and practiced his follow up combo: j FK(mk/crossup),
c MK, MP Shoryuken, SA III; very nice damage combo, i believe his best.

The SF anniversary guide has some decent strategy/combos otherwise.

Neo_ZX

Fucking Gill AI. I can breeze through the game relatively easily and then lose possibly 4-5 times to this motherfucker. ARGH.

evil ways

Man, I had forgotten how shitty Super Street Fighter Turbo is. Fucking magical CPU with it's ability to charge back-forward moves like Blanka's roll by walking forward and Zangief & T. Hawk grabbing me from afar like they have Stretch Armstrong arms.

God bless the day Capcom added missed throws animations, and parrys to SF.

As for Third Strike, thanks to my love and comfortability with the DS2, I finally got the timing down to parry jumping attacks, especially those with more than one hit. Aside from knowing how to parry projectiles, EX moves and low attacks, I was pretty much unskilled in that area.

Back to Hyper SF, is it just me or did Capcom royally screwed up Bison's music in Super SF & SSF Turbo? Even though the original CPS1 might sound inferior, I liked the bell sounds better in SFII, Champion and Hyper Fighting. The Super SF version sounds plain and lame.

Sai

Not sure if it's the changed timing or the Dual Shock controller or a combination of the two, but I'm having a harder time parrying in the PS2 port of Third Strike. :(

Can you guys suggest some arcade sticks? I want one that "clicks", know what I'm sayin'? I got enough cash to blow on one now, so it would be greatly appreciated.

Ferrio

Banned
Sai said:
Not sure if it's the changed timing or the Dual Shock controller or a combination of the two, but I'm having a harder time parrying in the PS2 port of Third Strike. :(

Can you guys suggest some arcade sticks? I want one that "clicks", know what I'm sayin'? I got enough cash to blow on one now, so it would be greatly appreciated.

"Not sure if it's the changed timing or the Dual Shock controller or a combination of the two, but I'm having a harder time parrying in the PS2 port of Third Strike. :("

DC parry timing was easier than arcade/ps2

Shouta

FK (or MK crossup) MP, FP, hadoken xx SAII

Do that with SAIII and it's absolute money.

AI Gill is suspetible to overheads on wake up most of the time so if your char has an overheard, launch just as he gets up and then sweep his ass for the easy win =P.

what games does the Street Fighter Anniversery edition have?only Street fighter 3? in which version second impact, third strike?

Tabris said:
Nah, guides aren't my style.

I do better just sitting down, practicing and learning the mechanics.

Some tips from pros helps that. Like what robojimbo said helps.

I just need to get back into the 2d fighting groove. It's been so long.

Once my friend comes over and we start doing some versus, that will change.

Guides are a big help man. To be good in a fighting game you need a lot of knowledge, like the hit properties of a particular attack, how many frames does it take to recover after a blocked attack or how much frame advantage you get when you land a particular attack.

Asbel

Ken's SAIII is the best because it charges up fast and is very low risk cuz you can almost always block the counter-atack if you didn't connect the super. I admit I do enjoy connecting with his SAII more though.

Also, if you and your opponent are both in the air, do an ex hurricane kick (good chance you'll win), land and do a dragon punch as they are falling down. Saw this in a tourny vid and loved it.

AI Gill can be cheesed with constant jump kick->sweeps, even on the highest difficulty. I prefer to corner him so even when he regenerates, you can knock him out of it.

Ryu

Ken's SAIII is the best because it charges up fast and is very low risk cuz you can almost always block the counter-atack if you didn't connect the super.

Like with all Supers that leave the character vulnerable afterwards if you block the hits, try to learn how to parry the very last hit. If you do, you have an extra half second to counter with. Vital in any close match and saves you a smidge of chip damage. :)

I don't know about the port. The extra time it takes to get into 3S is kinda annoying. I like how the DC version was in it right away. The parrying could go either way being easier or harder. I need to play people before I can really take note of it. The PC is fairly predictable in its moves so parrying it isn't much of a challenge. However, I did want to address one thing...

DC parry timing was easier than arcade/ps2

From everything I heard, parrying in the DC version was MUCH harder then in the arcade. Are you sure it's harder on the ps2\arcade? I know I heard the exact opposite everywhere else...

Asbel

Ryu said:
Like with all Supers that leave the character vulnerable afterwards if you block the hits, try to learn how to parry the very last hit. If you do, you have an extra half second to counter with. Vital in any close match and saves you a smidge of chip damage. :)
Wouldn't that require a red parry? Aren't those pretty hard to do with even less frames to do them in? Haven't really tired it myself.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Bluemercury said:
what games does the Street Fighter Anniversery edition have?only Street fighter 3? in which version second impact, third strike?
Hyper Street Fighter II (basically all versions of SFII rolled into one package) and Street Fighter III: Third Strike.

Alf

Banned
Asbel said:
Ken's SAIII is the best because it charges up fast and is very low risk cuz you can almost always block the counter-atack if you didn't connect the super. I admit I do enjoy connecting with his SAII more though.
According to the player's guide, after a blocked SA3, there's a -11 frame advantage, enough to time make a counter hit. Don't need reversal timing or anything but just be hasty about making an attack like HP into super or special move etc.

Asbel

Alf said:
According to the player's guide, after a blocked SA3, there's a -11 frame advantage, enough to time make a counter hit. Don't need reversal timing or anything but just be hasty about making an attack like HP into super or special move etc.
Hmm.. 11 frames is very little time. I would figure a heavy would be too slow and not worth the risk when you can hit a jab>special more consistently and become the aggressor.

Alf

Banned
yea only certain HP's have small enough start up to land with ease. But rule of thumb would be to use a link into super/special

Ploid 3.0

My copy still haven't made it yet. I should have pre-ordered it from Capcom not Ebworld >_<. Anybody have any exprience with preordering from Ebworld? How long does it usually take? (mailed to you)

This will be my first time spending quality time with the game. I'm beyond scrub.

Edit:
Oh yea, cool pictures Ferrio. They rok

Ryu

Read it here

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/sho...light=dreamcast

Though you're right, doesn't seem right...

I don't see what that thread had to do with the PS2 version. It says more like the arcade without it actually being exactly like the arcade given the problems in the DC version. It doesn't mention the PS2 version at all. Maybe you meant a different thread...?

Wouldn't that require a red parry? Aren't those pretty hard to do with even less frames to do them in? Haven't really tired it myself.

Correct in some Supers. Makoto's SAII is not with the final hit. Ken's is with his SAIII. It really depends.

Asbel

Alf said:
yea only certain HP's have small enough start up to land with ease. But rule of thumb would be to use a link into super/special
I meant the jab as a link, not a special with the jab.
Ryu said:
Correct in some Supers. Makoto's SAII is not with the final hit. Ken's is with his SAIII. It really depends.
I had Ken's SAIII in mind since you had quoted that part. You better be damn good to risk a red parry on that.

jesus h. christ! what is wit the difficulty in Hyper SF2. I put it on easiest and still got my ass kicked. Granted im rusty, but damn.

Top Bottom