• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 |OT| You promised you'd take me there again someday...

cormack12

Gold Member
6yt1x0C.jpeg

LygkxX9.jpeg

5u68oyr.png

J96BTbI.png

ttGeE2c.gif

RO1ANrQ.gif

in11Ani.gif

UD57gAr.gif

92suZR5.png

3wO0b9J.jpeg

3D9pxgm.jpeg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm very curious to see impressions from actual non-journos. I've never played the original and, while I don't like the look of characters or the supposed action-ication of this version, I'm willing to give it a shot if it's actually good. Alternatively, I guess I could just play the GH copy of the original that's been on my shelf for a decade.

It looks very nice, i have no experience with previous games.. can you enter some of those buildings on the street or it's a strict linear game?
Atmosphere looks awesome.
Edit: also i realised from comments on one of the topics here that SH2 isn't connected to the first and third game so it will be a good start for me.
Edit 2: this kinda anwser my previous question:

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I played SH2 in 2002, barely remember anything aside few main story beats. The remake looks great to me as I approach it with no bias of someone anal about the source material.

I also just installed SH2 Enhanced Edition. Looks and runs great on my shitty PC. This is the first thing I'm doing after beating this remake - I'll play the original to experience both versions but in reverse order. This should be interesting.

tommib

Will be up on Sunday at 1 am to start this on PS5. Quality mode all the way.

Played the original on an Xbox. I was a full pc gamer at the time and I used to spend weekends at my sister’s. My brother in law had an Xbox and we would play Jet Set Radio every now and then. During one of those nights, while they were already sleeping, I decided to try this Silent Hill 2 video game that was behind some VHS tapes. I knew nothing about it.

I basically didn’t sleep that whole night and will never forget seeing the 4 legged creatures for the first time. I couldn’t even comprehend what I was looking at and how you could come up with those designs. I was scared shitless and totally addicted.

I didn’t really finish it, but soon after the game was released on PC where I actually finished it. It became a favourite since then. I replayed it last time during Covid via PS Now. The bad quality streaming on the HD Remaster ended up adding a flavour of static and incorrectness that made sense during those weird lockdown times.

Can’t fucking wait for this remake.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
GOTY just going to post this again:

haterz: Bloober sucks lolomg silent hill ruined, wtf woke

Typing GIF by ehcat

Bloober: You fool! This isn't even my final form!

angry dragon ball z GIF by Funimation

super saiyan GIF

Say hello to my new transformation - blÜBER

Last edited:

Muffdraul

Unbearable anticipation and nostalgia right now. I think I'll tell one of my long rambling old man gamer stories.

I remember when I saw the first Silent Hill announcement in Next Generation magazine, probably late summer 1998, "Konami has announced a new game coming out next year and it looks like it might finally be the first contender to give Resident Evil some competition." Something like that. Pretty sure it said the team making it openly admitted they were blown away by RE1 and decided to try their hand at something similar. It came out in Feb 1999 and I bought it day 1, and loved it... until I got to the part where you meet up with a certain character on a carousel. At that point I thought, "Y'know, I've been playing this thing for like 10 hours, and I've been to a bunch of places and done a bunch of stuff and met a few NPCs... but it's given me NOTHING. I arrived in town, my daughter took off, I'm looking for her and... . After 10 hours I have as much info now as I did at the beginning. The creepy atmosphere is cool, but there needs to be more than that. This game is bullshit." I saved at the save point after the carousel and went and found something else to play.

Like a year and a half later, I'm at some forum and someone posts "President Evil has published v1.0 of his Silent Hill plot FAQ." My first thought was, "Why in the hell would Silent Hill need a plot FAQ? It literally has no plot. Running around and shooting monsters and picking up ammo and health items is not a plot." So I read it out of curiosity, not giving the slightest shit about spoilers, because what was there to spoil? So it was at this point I found out actually Silent Hill does have a plot, and a pretty good one... it's just that pretty much the entire thing is dumped at the very end of the game. Like an hour away from my last save after the carousel. So I went back, loaded that save, finished the game, watched the ending I got, started over on new game+, played through it again, got a different ending, went back and started again, got another ending, etc. until I'd seen all the ending and unlocked everything. It was a long rainy holiday weekend, and in those days it was very odd for me to stay in and play video games, but it was a hell of time. I realized I'd been completely wrong and now Silent Hill was one of my favorite games in years.

Now, here's the kicker: right after that, less than a month, Konami officially announced Silent Hill 2 and released a few screenshots, which were eye-melting at the time. Fully rendered real time 3D city streets you could explore, I really don't think that was a thing in 2000. Not like this. I couldn't have been more gobsmacked by the supernaturally incredibly perfect timing. So according to google that announcement would have been September 2000 (which probably means my long rainy weekend falling in love with SH1 must have been Labor Day.) My hype instantly went to 10. SH2 had its first real unveiling in May 2001 at E3, and then it released in Sept 2001, right after 9/11. One of my favorite games of all time, tragically unable to play it for many years now. Last time was whenever the PS3 collection game out, never wanted to touch that version again.

After RE2make, I thought "God damn, can you imagine if fucking Silent Hill got this kind of treatment? It'll never happen because Konami, but I can dream..."

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
How and why "In my restless dreams, I see that town" not the OT title????!!!!!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How and why "In my restless dreams, I see that town" not the OT title????!!!!!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Silent Hill 2 |OT|: After 5 Years on the East Coast ..

jk

Should have been Silent Hill 2 |OT|: Anyway? What do you mean ANYWAY!

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember playing this game when it came out. I was 15 and my dad had to show his ID. The atmosphere this game gave off was one of a kind at the time. I even took my PS2 and this game to church for one of those sleep over events. They didn’t allow me to take this game, but I tried.

Wonderful OT. This will be a good time.

Can't wait.

Still, a part of me says fuck this 48h early access bullshit. You want to milk gamers? Give actual meaningful shit.

If the game is ready everyone should be playing. This industry doesn't deserve shit (piracy, maybe xD).

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Thought that this was an easy 6/7 out of 10. It looked good but not great.

I’m very happy to be proven wrong by the sounds of things and will definitely be purchasing. Going to wait and see what enhancements if any will be coming for pro though.

This is a great surprise.

silent hill film GIF

Komatsu

SH2 is one of the greatest games ever made and it is so incredibly exciting to see it return. Hopefully they'll do the same with SH3.

Top Bottom